PDA

View Full Version : Manure smell change?

joharavhf
Jan. 16, 2009, 05:50 PM
My mare's manure is suddenly smelling very gross. Like really stinky. Almost like dog poo....

Nothing has changed - she is not working, her feed has not changed. She's eating and drinking and seems to be fine....

What could cause a poop smell change? She's still pooping the same amount.

sisu27
Jan. 16, 2009, 06:07 PM
I don't know but I'm interested to hear if anyone else does. My gelding also started to smell more like a meat-eater recently. The only thing I thought of was that I had increased his feed a bit...not changed anything except the amount. It is a high-octane feed (Purina Tri-Max which I think the is the Can equivalent of Ultium) so I wonder if the extra protein makes them stink? Can horses go into Ketosis? Have you changed the amount of anything? He also drank and peed a bit more than usual after the increase.

deltawave
Jan. 16, 2009, 06:13 PM
I doubt there's a whole lot of hard, scientific wisdom out there on the topic, but it is conceivable that more protein could make for more "aromatic" poop, as well as a change in the time it takes for digestion. Is the OP's horse perhaps standing around more, because of the bad weather? Maybe gut motility is decreased? Short of a change in diet, that's the only thing that comes to mind.

JeanM
Jan. 16, 2009, 06:36 PM
Yes, sounds like protein to me (no, I am not a vet nor do a play one on TV! ;)) If the horse isn't in "real" work now, can you cut back on the grain & increase the roughage? It's not as though she really needs a concentrated feed if she isn't working, yes?

Chall
Jan. 16, 2009, 06:50 PM
If you are feeding a brand name food, perhaps its ingredients changed. Some brand names interchange their contents to whatever is the cheapest.
If you don't feed a manufactured feeds then its a different story.

Bayou Roux
Jan. 16, 2009, 07:02 PM
Don't know about manure smell changes, or what may cause (sounds like some reasonable suggestions thus far...) but I urge you to trust your nose, Toucan Sam.

This summer, I went out to groom my mare, and I swore she smelled weird...not like horse, not like her usual specific horse scent. I was abstractly agitated and distracted all the way home, but couldn't say why.

Seven o'clock the next morning, the BO is calling me to say the mare has broken out in hives all over her body. Turned out to be a mosquito allergy, and she was fine, but the nose knows. Trust it.

gabz
Jan. 16, 2009, 07:28 PM
someone posted about this another time and was given the reply that increased MSM (protein) can create stinky manure. I cut back on one of my horse's msm dose and sure enough - it helped him.

For a mare, there may be slight changes as they come into season? Maybe? I know my goats can get more overall stinky when they are in season.

deltawave
Jan. 16, 2009, 07:37 PM
Any stinkiness emanating from the use of MSM would likely be because of the sulfur. MSM is not a protein, anyhow. :)

gabz
Jan. 16, 2009, 07:40 PM
aha. thanks! I wonder why I was thinking it was a source of protein.. hmmm... oh well.. yeah. sulphur is stinky though. :cool:

deltawave
Jan. 16, 2009, 07:46 PM
Well, sulfur is pretty important in the production and utilization of amino acids. :)

joharavhf
Jan. 16, 2009, 08:36 PM
The mare is only 3 1/2 - she's not in real work because she's not broke ;) Her feed is the feed she's eaten all along to keep her of normal weight. If I cut it she would lose weight and with the chill, I'm not really thinking that would be good!

Now apparently she has been chewing on the cedar railed fence that we fenced my old guy's grave in. I just saw that when I fed this evening.....Gonna kill her if she doesn't die from it herself....

I am now assuming that THAT is the cause of the smell.

The mare gets a complete pelleted feed, strongid c2x and flaxseed - no msm. Water isn't any different either ;)

Hampton Bay
Jan. 16, 2009, 10:04 PM
My mare had been stinky for a while but otherwise was in excellent condition. Just a bit stinkier than normal. I changed her feed from SafeChoice to Seminole's Wellness Mare & Foal feed, and she is no longer stinky. I hadn't realized that until I read your post.

webmistress32
Jan. 16, 2009, 10:51 PM
ulcers.

I had a mare whose poop smelled God-awful.

once I treated her for ulcers it stopped. among other symptoms ...

theotherdasher
Jan. 17, 2009, 12:20 PM
When my old gelding got Cushings his smell changed. He always smelled sweet to me, all his life. Then his smell changed, hard to describe how. When he went on Pergloide his smell changed again.
I can also smell a change in a horses manure when they are colicky or sick or freightened or distracted.
I have a very sensitive sense of smell. Comes from cleaning way too many stalls.:D

Sundown Farm
Jan. 17, 2009, 03:16 PM
I have found that acorns can make thier poo smell bad, so check her turn out. I know its a little late but there are some still on the ground here

joharavhf
Jan. 17, 2009, 11:05 PM
ulcers.

I had actually considered ulcers....but the smell is recent and she hasn't been stressed at all. She gets 24/7 turnout, all the hay she can eat, and she's not worked. She *did* lose her best friend back in June, but I promptly got a new friend for her.

Acorns aren't a likely scenario since we don't have ANY trees in their field. Or anywhere NEAR....In fact, we've been planting horse friendly (non-acorn!) trees.

She's definitely NOT a cushings candidate. My old guy had cushings, so I know a bit about the disease. I think if I asked my vet to test for cushings she'd just tell me to pay her $100 for nothing ;) LOL.

Thanks again for all of the ideas!

So....does eating cedar planks make poop smellier????

terasa
Jan. 17, 2009, 11:47 PM
My mare was busy munching on a big old cedar stump along the back fenceline for a couple of weeks this fall before I noticed and put a stop to it. I've had a couple of horses who arent normally wood chewers but cant resist cedar. I didnt notice a difference in the smell of their poop, though. But I'm sure its entirely possible, cedar may not agree with yours so well :)

UNCeventer
Jan. 18, 2009, 11:51 AM
One of our geldings has had stinky poop too. It smells much like a baby diaper. He is the only one whose poo smell burns my nose. He is out all the time will round bales. He is a cribber, but doesnt crib with the collar on. I cant think of anything that has really changed, except we put out new round bales a few days ago, but its the same kind of hay that the other round bales were.

I thought I was going crazy. Interesting to see that other horses get stinky poo. What can I do, if anything to help dilute the smell, or make it go away all together?

Auventera Two
Jan. 18, 2009, 01:07 PM
someone posted about this another time and was given the reply that increased MSM (protein) can create stinky manure. I cut back on one of my horse's msm dose and sure enough - it helped him.

For a mare, there may be slight changes as they come into season? Maybe? I know my goats can get more overall stinky when they are in season.

MSM does it for mine too. The first few weeks they were on 10,000 mg. of MSM, the horse poop smelled repulsive. Not like typical horse poop at all. It seems to have evened out now, but MSM is a sulfur compound so I imagine that's what does it.

Auventera Two
Jan. 18, 2009, 01:09 PM
ulcers.

And my horse with ulcers didn't have the stinky poop until the very day I started her on MSM. :lol: