PDA

View Full Version : I can’t believe my eyes when I see riders ride with Fat Baby Boots!

Manes&Tails
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:21 PM
That is so dangerous! These boots are not made for riding!!!!!!:no:

mab1228
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:22 PM
never heard of them???

ExJumper
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:24 PM
They're cowboy boots, right? Probably not traditional for english riders, but I'd say safer than sneakers.

Manes&Tails
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:25 PM
never heard of them???

They are the western boots made for grown women, that are made like boots for infants! Fat looking Cowboy boots with a lot of sole and tread.

linquest
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:25 PM
The Ariat boots? They look like any other cowboy boots to me :confused: (but in really ugly patterns/colors). At least they're not stiletto heels!

ExJumper
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:27 PM
Here they are:

http://www.cavenders.com/product.asp?cat=2&dept_id=2545&pf_id=AR16773

Wouldn't bother me that much to see someone ride in them. Like I said, better than sneakers.

Sparky
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:29 PM
They are actually banned in the youth classes at Minnesota saddle club shows--they can get lodged so easily in a stirrup.

Manes&Tails
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:31 PM
They are actually banned in the youth classes at Minnesota saddle club shows--they can get lodged so easily in a stirrup.

Some of our local youth shows wont allow them either!

enjoytheride
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:31 PM
Hoot you're back!

mypaintwattie
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:32 PM
Actually, some are made for riding, such as Ariat's ProBaby and FatBaby Boots. They have a crepe sole and stirrup friendly tread, and typically western stirrups are much wider than english ones.

I ride english and western in a pair of Ariat Terrain boots and Ariat Springbuck boots, both of which have a larger, thicker, rubber sole. I've never had any issues with either, the only issue (which is minor) is that when I ride in them in my english saddle I have to drop my leathers a hole from when I ride in regular paddock or tall boots.

Manes&Tails
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:36 PM
Hoot you're back!

Hey, I never have been a drinker, but with my new diet I started drinking a little wine at night for the antioxidents, well I guess I drank a little more than needed and decided to check out COTH.

Got real sick, almost died, so I have been away for awhile!

LuvMyNSH
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:48 PM
The original FatBaby boots are NOT for riding in - Ariat made them as fashion boots only, and clearly states that. Riding in those is just asking to get a foot caught in the stirrup.

The Gem Baby, Probaby and new Fatbaby Saddle Brights are OK to ride in, but it's the FatBaby's that come in all the wild colors that people seem to buy.

Western stirrups aren't that much wider than English irons - a super clunky soled boot isn't okay just because the person rides western. I wear a Men's 10 E width, and I have to be really careful of what boots I buy because some just flat out don't fit. With some saddles I've had to buy new stirrups for (my fabtron, my newer circle y) because the ones that came were too narrow for even my riding boots. The perils of having giant sasquatch feet. :(

ThreeFigs
Jan. 14, 2009, 10:08 PM
Look for overshoe (overboot?) stirrups. They are wider to accommodate the extra bulk of a Western boot worn with a rubber overboot.

Ambrey
Jan. 14, 2009, 10:10 PM
My trainer told me to bag my Terrains for the same reason, and I have to admit regular paddock boots are a big improvement!

Ready2Ride
Jan. 14, 2009, 10:19 PM
I have fatbabys and it says right on the box that they aren't for riding. I also have the probabys which say they are for riding, but I have never ridden in them. I have ridden in my terrains and so have both my kids in theirs, but I don't like to ride in them so we all stick to riding in our ariat paddock boots or tall boots.
I think the fatbabys are ugly. I only bought them because I have a problem with buying boots. I think they're a bad idea because some people may think ariats are for riding and not pay attention that the fatbabys shouldn't be ridden in. I knew they weren't when I bought them, but some people apparently don't put much thought into safety and their riding gear.

The ariat winter english tallboots are kinda wide across the ball of the foot too.

eponacowgirl
Jan. 14, 2009, 10:25 PM
I ride in my fat babies. I bought wide stirrups so I could ride in them. They're my mud boots.

talkofthetown
Jan. 15, 2009, 06:27 AM
I ride in these: http://www.equestriancollections.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=OUJP10445h
The tread and width look about the same as the FatBaby's (FatBabies?) that are meant for riding.

zippandrich
Jan. 15, 2009, 08:20 AM
i ride western and ride in them :) I show in them also along with lots of western pleasure girls, i have chaps in lots of colors and fat-babys come in lots of colors :-0 and we pleasure girls have to match hat to boot. I love them heck even my showmanship outfit is with a fat baby boot. Western striups are wider then english and we don't ride with our foot in the strip just a toe

HydroPHILE
Jan. 15, 2009, 08:32 AM
I ride Western and English, and I would not ride in "Fat Baby Boots." While they are SOMEWHAT safer than sneakers or sandals, at least with sneakers and sandals, they aren't as wide as Fat Baby Boots and don't have as heavy a tread on them.

Fat Baby Boots are dangerous to ride in for a couple of reasons:

1. They are wider than your average cowboy boot. Unless you have oversized stirrups or particularly small feet (thus wearing a smaller size Fat Baby Boot), they are more liable to get lodged in the stirrup on either side.

2. They have heavy rubber treads. While the treads are good for working around the barn, they aren't necessarily good for riding. I highly doubt your foot can slip in and out of the stirrup easily. What happens if you were falling? I don't see Fat Baby Boots slipping out easily. Ariat makes another style Western boot that are riding safe. They are rubber soles, but they are *not* non-skid (which is what you want when you ride). Andrew has a pair of them (http://ariat.com/products_detail.aspx?pcid=9&cid=2&scid=5&pid=692..also reasonably priced. Horsetown had them for $125....but marked them on sale for $100).

3. It says clearly on the box, "Not for riding." I'm sure if someone contacted Ariat, they'd tell you the two above reasons and maybe quite a few more.

Fat Baby Boots are banned in local shows here in western classes because of safety reasons. Wearing Fat Baby Boots is similar to wearing Hunting/Hiking boots or motorcycle boots (minus the steel toe).

Western striups are wider then english and we don't ride with our foot in the strip just a toe

Actually, what I've always been taught and when I showed western, it's the same foot position as riding English - ball of the foot on the stirrup....not a toe.

cowgirljenn
Jan. 15, 2009, 09:56 AM
My riding boots (lace up ropers from Ariat and regular ropers from Ariat) were ruined by Hurricane Ike - they were one of the many things under the two holes in the roof Ike left. So once I had our insurance money, I went out to find new boots... and had a heck of a time. All the western stores around here carried those boots with the thick, treaded soles. I don't think they're safe for riding - they're too clunky to easily slide out of a stirrup and your foot couldl easily get caught. Perhaps with my super-spooky boy, two greenies, and whatever the rescue throws at me, I'm extra-cautious. :) But I wanted regular ropers with thin soles... finally found a nice pair of lace-up ropers when I was in KC over Christmas. Still working on the regular ropers, though...

HydroPHILE
Jan. 15, 2009, 10:01 AM
Still working on the regular ropers, though...

Try the Ariat Blackwater boots :) They are normal ropers - fit much nicer than Justin ropers, quality Ariats, rubber soles (but not chunky and not non-slip), and are priced pretty well. There's nothing funky about them.

Curb Appeal
Jan. 15, 2009, 12:20 PM
I would never ride in FatBabies, but I do ride in Ariat Terrain boots. The Terrains are intended for riding and have no problem getting into or out of a stirrup on short notice. I also have a pair of their Heritage Western cowboy boots. I would not hesitate to ride in those, but I prefer to keep them nice for daily wear.

Snowflake
Jan. 15, 2009, 12:29 PM
I ride in a pair of Ariat Jods and they have a very similar sole. I have wide, flat feet and bought 4.75" english stirrups to accomodate the boots. No issues with getting my foot out. Now, riding in the mountain horse with the SCS....

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jan. 15, 2009, 12:30 PM
I would never ride in FatBabies, but I do ride in Ariat Terrain boots. The Terrains are intended for riding and have no problem getting into or out of a stirrup on short notice.

Out of curiosity, CA, what size do you wear?

I've been riding in my size 8 1/2 B Ariat Terrains, but I'm going to stop. I just started lessons again, and during both lessons I kept getting the stirrup stuck dangerously near the arch of my foot. My RI hasn't said anything, probably because she uses those rubber-band safety stirrups, but it's getting on my nerves.

So I guess I'm back to trying to break in my field boots. How long does it take wearing them around the house before they stop cutting off the circulation below your knees?:D

linquest
Jan. 15, 2009, 12:31 PM
I have a pair of the Ariat Western Heritage Boots too. I do ride in them when I go Western, but now they're my "office appropriate" shoes for the winter :cool:

furlong47
Jan. 15, 2009, 12:39 PM

I've been riding in my size 8 1/2 B Ariat Terrains, but I'm going to stop. I just started lessons again, and during both lessons I kept getting the stirrup stuck dangerously near the arch of my foot. My RI hasn't said anything, probably because she uses those rubber-band safety stirrups, but it's getting on my nerves.

So I guess I'm back to trying to break in my field boots. How long does it take wearing them around the house before they stop cutting off the circulation below your knees?:D

I have ridden in Terrains for several years (size 10) and never had a problem with them getting stuck in the stirrups. I have flex irons without any kind of safety/breakaway feature. And I have had enough falls :lol: but never an issue, feet still come out of the stirrups fine. The Terrains are made and intended for riding.

LuvMyNSH
Jan. 15, 2009, 01:05 PM
i have chaps in lots of colors and fat-babys come in lots of colors :-0 and we pleasure girls have to match hat to boot.

Which is why they make the white ropers that you have dyed to match your outfit. Looks much classier. :)

sublimequine
Jan. 15, 2009, 01:10 PM
I'm not quite seeing why it's bad to wear these boots if you're using oversized stirrups? Someone wanna break it down for me? :confused:

I think those boots are adoreable, but I don't own any personally. I have a pair of Justins that I love, but just to wear, I rarely ride in them much. :lol:

I ride in Ariat All Terrains. They're great. :)

CowgirlDressage
Jan. 15, 2009, 01:19 PM
I actually hate the FatBaby boots, yuck...who wants their feet to look that stubbby and wide? Really!

However, the ProBaby boots are super comfy, safe to ride in, don't need broken in, and I loff mine! I ride in them or my Terrains. Very safe, very comfy!

LuvMyNSH
Jan. 15, 2009, 01:33 PM
I'm not quite seeing why it's bad to wear these boots if you're using oversized stirrups? Someone wanna break it down for me? :confused:

Even if the stirrup is wide enough, the tread is too grippy. Even if you're just stuck for an extra second before your foot comes free - that's a damned scary second. Been there, done that, will never own a knock-off version of the wide endurance stirrups again.

There are so many boots made for riding on the market, why bother with one that isn't? It's not like the FatBabys are the cheapest option either.

HydroPHILE
Jan. 15, 2009, 01:47 PM
It could be worse.........you could ride something like this (pulled off a CL ad):

Craigslist Ad - No Shoes, No problem? (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/wildernessk9sar/tb-edit.jpg)

^ shorts....no shoes....far back cutback saddle....western pad..........OTTB.

Ambrey
Jan. 15, 2009, 01:54 PM

Yeah, mine are size 10 (they are too big, I wear a 9 but the boot guy convinced me the 10s fit me better). I guess I could have bought 5 1/2" stirrups but instead I just got regular paddock boots (Mountain Horse, which I absolutely love and they are incredibly comfy anyway).

VAHorseGurl
Jan. 15, 2009, 02:06 PM
There is a young girl actually riding in these type of boots out at the barn. I hadn't paid attention to them, but next time I see her, I'll warn her about her boots.

I just purchased these Ariats for winter riding (western).

http://www.ariat.com/images/products/small/34476F.jpg

http://www.ariat.com/ImagePreview.aspx?w=261&src=D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\sites\ariat.com\http\images \products\large\34476P.jpg

Ariat® Women’s Terrain H2O Insulated
All day comfort in a lightweight, waterproof performance boot

http://www.ariat.com/products_detail.aspx?pcid=9&cid=2&scid=17&pid=571

Ajierene
Jan. 15, 2009, 02:14 PM
Pulled from the link in post #6:

Check out the pull straps on these new Fatbaby Saddle Brights. These Chocolate Bright Ostrich print Fatbaby Saddles feature the Ariat exclusive ATS technology for maximum comfort, stability and durability. The stirrup friendly ProCrepe outsole with the Duratread heel is also approved for competition by the NHSRA.

Note that the ad does say it is approved for competition. If I saw that, I would not look at the box. Maybe they were not for riding at one time, but they appear to be now.

Your stirrup should be wider than your boot by two to three fingers (if I am remembering correctly). The width of the boot does not matter, so long as you have stirrups to match. As far as tread goes, the western stirrups on all the variety of western saddles I used growing up were always a flat surface, either wood or plastic. Grip does not matter on these surfaces, it is negligible due to the slickness of the surface.

On english stirrups, the pads may increase the grip-ability of the boot and may be a hinderance, though I have never experienced or witnessed that.

HydroPHILE
Jan. 15, 2009, 02:29 PM
Pulled from the link in post # 6....
"As far as tread goes, the western stirrups on all the variety of western saddles I used growing up were always a flat surface, either wood or plastic. Grip does not matter on these surfaces, it is negligible due to the slickness of the surface."

OLDER western saddles (as in those made in the 60s and 70s and earlier) have wooden stirrups; plastic stirrups are used on Synthetic Saddles. Most leather western saddles have leather-wrapped stirrups. The grippy treads on the Fat Baby Boots and hiking boots, etc. do grip the stirrups since it's rubber on leather.

Curb Appeal
Jan. 15, 2009, 02:36 PM

I wear a 9.5 in Terrains so I have a little room to wiggle my toes during long trail rides and for heavy socks in winter. My Heritage boots are 9s. I can not think of a single occasion where my Terrains have slipped too far into the stirrup. I would think that would be a rider leg or foot position issue rather than a boot issue. The instant I get in the saddle my heels go down, and stay there.

AlfalfaAnne
Jan. 15, 2009, 02:49 PM
I have these:

http://www.ariat.com/products_detail.aspx?pcid=12&cid=28&scid=90&pid=419

And I love them! I can wear them with jeans and they look great and I've ridden with them and had no problems (I was riding Western... haven't tried them English yet)

I guess we just have to make the distinction between the ProBabies and the FatBabies. Although the FatBabies are getting so popular that they've started making them safe for riding:

http://www.ariat.com/products_detail.aspx?pcid=12&cid=28&scid=102&pid=1010

Lovers of wild colours rejoice! :D

LisaW-B
Jan. 15, 2009, 02:51 PM
It's better than the teenaged girls in my 'hood who ride in flip-flops, but that's another thread!!

msrobin
Jan. 15, 2009, 02:51 PM
those are the ugliest things ever. Yuck wouldn't be caught dead in them.

StockyCrosses
Jan. 15, 2009, 04:38 PM
Fatbabies are made for around the barn work, they're too wide for stirrups. I talked to a rep. at an expo while shopping and he said they were never meant to be ridden in because they don't come out of the stirrup too easily. I have a pair for around the pasture. I did ride in them once and when I dismounted, my boot stayed in the stirrup and I fell. Not fun.

These are what I wear for riding. Very comfortable :) I have the black/aqua pair.
http://ariat.com/products_detail.aspx?pcid=9&cid=2&scid=5&pid=419

Tiffany01
Jan. 15, 2009, 06:15 PM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/stardozer/Lessons/P1130074.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/stardozer/Lessons/P1130077.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/stardozer/Lessons/t.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/stardozer/Lessons/33.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/stardozer/Lessons/6.jpg

I wear them.

Burbank
Jan. 15, 2009, 08:58 PM
the first sole that they used on them was a much chunkier sole then what is on the newer ones. the sole on the newer ones is much more like the pro baby.

Woodland
Jan. 15, 2009, 10:37 PM
Here they are:

http://www.cavenders.com/product.asp?cat=2&dept_id=2545&pf_id=AR16773

Wouldn't bother me that much to see someone ride in them. Like I said, better than sneakers.

LOL! I ride in them all the time - sneakers that is. I save my Fat babys for the show pen :cool:

tarheelmd07
Jan. 16, 2009, 10:24 AM
I have a pair of red Fat Baby boots that I would never dream of riding in...even if they would fit in my little english stirrups :) Too big, too chunky, and I'd be afraid that they'd get stuck in the stirrup. Having had my foot stuck in a stirrup when my horse slipped and fell with me before...it's not an experience I'd like to repeat!

Plus, I'd like to keep them looking nice for work...I have a few pairs of "work-only" boots that get taken off before I even set foot in the barn. I've had folks at work ask if they're my riding boots...and I tell them that as beat-up as my barn boots are, they'd never make an appearance at work. Plus, as dirty as my barn boots are, they probably don't need to be tromping around the hospital I work at :lol:

Cherry
Jan. 16, 2009, 10:57 AM
All things aside--I have to say that the height of these boots does absolutely nothing to enhance anyone's leg! They cut the leg at its worst point and if you're short they make you look even more squatty! :eek: When you're 5'1" who needs that???? :winkgrin: :lol: Not me!

Hoot&Tick--what kind of women are buying these things???? :confused:

Now, if they'd increase the height of the boot and change the heel I might be tempted.... :winkgrin: :yes:

Woodland
Jan. 16, 2009, 03:09 PM
They are very comfortable to wear! I wear mine when I judge. I have big flat wide feet - it's the strong underpinning to the rest of my body :D Plus they are super cute - all my students have them - very popular. So much better for your feet than squishing them into narrow toes! TG pointy toes have been OUT of style for awhile!

They look GOOD! And feel even better when you half to wear them all day!

HydroPHILE
Jan. 16, 2009, 03:12 PM
I go for the hybrid look when it comes to boots (functional)..........

Western Lacers (removal of the kilties - the little fringey flap near the toe at the base of the laces) with Half-chaps :) (Obviously...I don't show :D)