PDA

View Full Version : Cost of putting in a culvert....

Sonesta
Jan. 14, 2009, 06:10 PM
Anyone have any idea of the cost to put in a culvert in and existing ditch that runs along side an asphalt road so that I can put a gate entrance into one of my pastures? And who do I call? What kind of company?

greysandbays
Jan. 14, 2009, 07:53 PM
Don't know anything about the cost, athough my backhoe guy, who owns an excavation/sewer installation/dirt/gravel business, charges $85 an hour for machine work. He could probably do one in a couple of hours -- plus the cost of the fill/gravel and the culvert.

However, around here we have to get a GD permit for such things and that has a price as well.

fivehorses
Jan. 14, 2009, 08:13 PM
A 20' culvert is less than 200 dollars. Use the plastic, not the metal. Metal eventually rots, the plastic holds up.

You will need to call an excavating company/person. Ask around who has an excavator or back hoe. Your farm store may know.

I tend to get three estimates on work, unless its work I am familiar with or have done before.

It really should not be much. They dig the trench, place the culvert, head it off, so it does not fill in around the openings, and done. They may have to bring in some rock if you don't have any available. Heading off a culvert is very important.

equinelaw
Jan. 14, 2009, 08:42 PM
What is heading off?

Sonesta
Jan. 14, 2009, 08:53 PM
IT will be a little more complicated than that here. I have to get a permit from the county and the culvert has to be concrete (per ordinance). But that's all I know about it right now. This pasture is not even on my property (I have leased it for years), so hate to spend a fortune improving someone else's property.

ponygirl
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:12 PM
The permit is the simple part but the rest is interesting. We had to do this exact same thing. The pipe we had to use had to be of certain shape, certain diameter and certain length. We then had the choice of concrete side walls or we could do concrete sacks that were fiber reinforced and laid a certain way. Grass had to be on either side of the culvert. It was not cheap! Best bet is to go down to your county permitting office and get the requirements or call them. They were very helpful to us. I found pulling permits not difficult nor was the fee bad.

I forgot to add, ours ended up costing about 5K

Sonesta
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:35 PM
5K!!!!!! Fainting dead away. Forgedaboutit!

fivehorses
Jan. 15, 2009, 12:02 PM
Me too, that is huge money!
Find out what the regulations are...ask them for contractors and go from there.
Or, call a sand and gravel company and ask them about contractors...they go there to purchase fill, gravel, etc. or call a concrete company for a source as well.

I do not know anything about concrete culverts, they would crack here in the northeast, so are not used.

equinelaw, heading off a culvert is placing large rocks around the ends of the culvert to prevent it from filling itself back in with sand or dirt, and to prevent it from moving. If not headed off correctly, it will heave itself out of the ground.

Now, with that said, I am speaking from a northeast perspective on how things are done. As I am learning... particular climate, soils, etc all have different requirements, etc.

Evalee Hunter
Jan. 15, 2009, 01:17 PM
In this area, you would need a "creek crossing permit" even for a culvert pipe put in a ditch which is not a creek & maybe only has water occasionally. At least that is what Chester County's Environmental Agency (can't think of their correct name or title) told me. First there has to be an "erosion control plan" written by a certified soil engineer. That, by itself, can cost several thousand dollars, if you can find a certified soil engineer who is interested in a small job. Once you have your erosion control plan & whatever else you need, it can take up to six months to get the permit. If I remember correctly, you don't need the permit if you can prove that the waterway you want to go through the culvert drains less than 100 acres (as in, you have a small valley with the creek down the middle).

Edited to add, I think it is the Chester County Conservation District or something like that.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 15, 2009, 01:33 PM
Yikes! FL must have some interesting restrictions on putting in a culvert for it to cost so much. Maybe all the waterways affect the construction?

Here in the Midwest, I wanna say "not much" as what it cost me 5 years ago doesn't stick out in my memory.
Mine was just a short distance - maybe 25' - as I wanted to extend the drive from where I parked my trailer to the road - maybe 100' total.

I did have to apply for a permit with the Highway Dept, as my drive then went over City property (the 50' easement). But once that was approved the actual cost must have been in the hundreds for me to not recall it. :cool:

My excavator put in the plastic culvert with gravel on top and so far, so good. Even a huge semi using my drive as a turnaround and dinging one end of my culvert did no harm. It just popped back out.

ponygirl
Jan. 15, 2009, 03:49 PM
We had to use concrete b/c it snugged up against an existing road. Concrete 2 yrs ago was extremely expensive. We had to be up to code b/c it was for our driveway to our house/farm we were building. Now, if we were just trying to get to the land and not build on it, we'd of been able to do it very differently. Pipe would of had to of been the same but we could of said it was to gain access to the land for clearing, etc, etc. Then it would of been rather inexpensive.

Nlevie
Jan. 16, 2009, 01:52 PM
We live in Nebraska and just did this last summer. Had to get a permit thru the county, then found a guy with the equipment and bought a used metal pipe. I'm not sure, but I think it ended up costing about $1000 -1200. He had to get many loads of dirt and gravel to fill it in and drive a aways to get it. Then we had to try to plant some grass seed & cover it around the edges to keep it from washing away & carry water to keep it alive. . .
But will be nice to have that access now.