PDA

View Full Version : Aging farm dog messing in the house - Anipryl?

PalominoMorgan
Jan. 14, 2009, 12:01 PM
My big dog is 10.5 year old spayed shepherd mix female. The past few weeks she's become incontinent. She was recently treated for a bladder infection and did clear up with medication. Now, she's making messes in the house and drooping little piece of stool. I've found a few that look like she just couldn't hold em in. She's also not been able to make it through the night and made a big mess on the rug by the backdoor.

This is entirely out of character for her. She's always been VERY good about her potty manners, but is aging quickly. I was even thinking lately that I was hoping she would make it until the ground thaws. She's been going downhill fast enough for me to think about letting her go before disaster strikes. (A huge emotional burden for me because she's been my rock since I graduated college.)

Anyway, I was reading online and came across some articles about Anipryl for dogs and its treatment use for "old dog" syndrome, which includes loss of bowel control. I'm off to the vet tomorrow with another of the pets so I will ask the vet about it then, but wondered if anybody has tried Anipryl or has suggestions for the older dog that is going downhill.

(We also have an almost 1 year old crawling around and health issues aside for the dog it won't be good for the baby to be crawling along and find a poop nugget.) I really don't want to let my old girl go yet. She still wants to be here and I can tell she's bothered that she can't control herself so I'm looking for answers to buy us more time together.

tradewind
Jan. 14, 2009, 02:14 PM
Anipryl was originally thought to be a less expenisive alternative to Lysodren to treat Cushings in dogs...It did not work out that way, but it was noticed that some of the dogs that were somewhat "senile" improved in that area while on it...The dogs that it works on it tends to work well, it does not however work with all of them. You should also check your dog for spinal issues that effect the nerves that help control the spinchter muscle of the anus. Sometimes this can be helped with low dose steroids..I have such a dog now. lts true that steroids due have side effects, however this dog was just walking and pooping, so if the side effects of the steroids cut off six months off her life(she is 14 now) it is immaterial, because without the steroids she would have had to have been put to sleep as the pooping while walking and being totally unware of it was unacceptable to me and upsetting to her...Good luck and let us know what happens...

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 14, 2009, 02:23 PM
Proin.

It works. You can get a prescription and order it from petmeds. Then gradually adjust the dosage downward till you have a level that is effective.

edited to add: One of the side effects of Proin is constipation.

Jaegermonster
Jan. 14, 2009, 03:09 PM
I give Proin to one of mine but she only has bladder problems not bowel problems or both so I can't say how it would work for poo.

maunder
Jan. 14, 2009, 03:32 PM
My Jack Russell was diagnosed with Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (I called it Dogsheimers because the symptoms are quite similar to Alzheimers in people) and was given Anipryl for that, which helped. I don't know about the bladder issues because Eddie's potty issues were related to his mental senility.

I hope you find a solution for both your dog's comfort and yours.

PalominoMorgan
Jan. 14, 2009, 03:53 PM
Anipryl was originally thought to be a less expenisive alternative to Lysodren to treat Cushings in dogs...It did not work out that way, but it was noticed that some of the dogs that were somewhat "senile" improved in that area while on it...The dogs that it works on it tends to work well, it does not however work with all of them. You should also check your dog for spinal issues that effect the nerves that help control the spinchter muscle of the anus. Sometimes this can be helped with low dose steroids..I have such a dog now. lts true that steroids due have side effects, however this dog was just walking and pooping, so if the side effects of the steroids cut off six months off her life(she is 14 now) it is immaterial, because without the steroids she would have had to have been put to sleep as the pooping while walking and being totally unware of it was unacceptable to me and upsetting to her...Good luck and let us know what happens...

I'll ask the vet about it tomorrow, but she is walking and not noticing poop is falling out? Hubby is not the animal science major in the family and confused and annoyed about why the big dog is suddenly pooping in the house. He doesn't get it and see she is again. (I hate to have to break it to him.)

This girl's a shepherd/lab mix (best I can guess) so if we lose some time because of steroid use that will be nothing to the alternative if she can't control her movements in the house. If I was still single it would be more managable, but with a hubby and crawling/walking baby it just can't be this way. I've been covering up for her as best as I can, but I can't let the baby find the nuggets on the floor.

mjrtango93
Jan. 14, 2009, 04:19 PM
I had an older aussie that last bladder control towards the end (not bowel though) that none of the drugs worked on. She would feel it on her legs and then freak because only then did she realize she had an accident. We got her doggie depends and although it was a pain in the *ss to change them twice a day did seem to make her happier. She lived another 9 months before she died of a stroke.

shalomypony
Jan. 14, 2009, 08:03 PM
I'm going through this with the urine more so than the poop.(occasionally the poop too)I highly recommend dollar store pull up adult diapers,cheap and they work great. All you have to do is cut a tail hole in them and viola doggie diaper. I found that my dog likes them.She's a chow chow and she wears the mediums,yours probably needs the smalls unless she's chunky. Good luck,it's not easy is it? I have a 37 yr old horse and my old chow..........the thought of losing them both soon haunts me daily.

PalominoMorgan
Jan. 14, 2009, 08:21 PM
Smalls? Ha ha. She's 124 lbs. I'll have to get her some depends for grown ladies. :) The diapers are an option. We'll see what the vet says tomorrow.

goingplaces
Jan. 14, 2009, 08:41 PM
I have a 13yo female shepard lab mix, and she was diagnosed with "doggie dementia" earlier this year. Symptoms were some bladder incontinence but more obvious was that she started waking up in the middle of the night wandering around the house. Vet put her on Selegiline- the generic of Anipryl. The cost different is HUGE!:eek: She has to take 3 pills a day because of her size, they don't make Selegiline in more that 5mg tablets. We have seen great improvement in her- no more incontinence, no more night wandering. Vet did say medication works well for some and not at all for others. Good luck and I hope you find a solution- I have a soft spot for those shepard/lab mixes! :)

PalominoMorgan
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:11 PM
I have a 13yo female shepard lab mix, and she was diagnosed with "doggie dementia" earlier this year. Symptoms were some bladder incontinence but more obvious was that she started waking up in the middle of the night wandering around the house. Vet put her on Selegiline- the generic of Anipryl. The cost different is HUGE!:eek: She has to take 3 pills a day because of her size, they don't make Selegiline in more that 5mg tablets. We have seen great improvement in her- no more incontinence, no more night wandering. Vet did say medication works well for some and not at all for others. Good luck and I hope you find a solution- I have a soft spot for those shepard/lab mixes! :)

Mine wanders at night too. :(

Brydelle Farm
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:38 PM
Is she actively having urinary accidents or is she incontinent (ie dripping/dribbling urine)? The dropping stool w/o knowing it, can point to a condition called Wobblers, this a neuro condition that deals with cervical vertebral malformation/malarticulation. Any ataxia, dragging of hind limb (look at her nails in the back, is one side more worn than the other?), neck pain?

Jingles for both of you!!

PalominoMorgan
Jan. 14, 2009, 10:00 PM
No urine incontinence after the bladder infection cleared up. It's mostly the poo pellets and leaving big piles by the backdoor in the middle of the night. She has an awful time getting up and down off our hardwood floors. *sigh* I paid the horse vet all summer I guess I'll pay the small animal vet all winter. Ugh.

(Corgi boy had a scratch on his eye. Goes in for recheck tomorrow. Corgi girl is having some sort of skin attack and won't stop scratching and biting at her hind end. Big girl is having mobility and poo issues. *sigh* Oh, and mom has cancer for the 5th time (small cell lung cancer) and hubby's Grandmother just passed. It's been a great start to 2009.)

Brydelle Farm
Jan. 14, 2009, 10:24 PM
If she is painful in her back, it could be that she is filling up with stool b/c it is difficult to posture to have a BM, so then it just comes out..that is another avenue to look at.. A few things you can think about is changing her to a low residue food, it makes their stools smaller and less frequent, and easy clean up. More fiber will make her poop more, not something you are wanting. :)

Jingles for you and your critters!!

CdnRider
Jan. 14, 2009, 11:46 PM
It has been mentioned that selegiline is the generic form of anipryl, which is true. Seligiline can be compounded from a compound company in many differenct strength, including higher than 5 mg.

jherold
Jan. 15, 2009, 11:30 AM
I second hip/back problems. One of my shepherds started having bowel movements in the house at the age of 13 1/2. I realized that she could not "assume the position" for long enough time to fully evaculate her bowels. Then I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I saw her sitting down. Since she was already on Adequan and Rymadyl, I elected to euthanize her. She was obviously in more pain than she was letting on.

yellow-horse
Jan. 15, 2009, 01:13 PM
this might not be an option for the op but i had a single dog for many years and when she got old, the vet said she was senile, chalked up most of her problems to old age
i got her a young dog, i think her friend kept her going another few years, the incontinence pretty much stopped, everytime he went out she wanted to go with him, she was more active and interested in life

PalominoMorgan
Jan. 15, 2009, 06:47 PM
She has two younger corgis that keep her active. It has helped. She goes to see the vet Wednesday night.

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 16, 2009, 03:22 PM
In addition to Brydelle's comments, I would also recommend a rectal exam to see if she might either have sphincter control issues or any masses in her rectum.

As mentioned, back pain also high on the rule-out list. NSAIDs like Rimadyl can be lifesavers, but they do require liver function screening before starting them. Most of the problems with Rimadyl has occurred in Labradors, but there's no monopoly on it.

I had a dog with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. We put him on Anipryl at about 11 years and he made it to 16 1/2. He was pretty loopy at the end but still mean as the day is long (we used to call him "Uncle Junior" after the Sopranos). Improvement was subtle, but I sure could tell when we ran out and he went off of it (he was the only dog in our practice on it and I had to order it well in advance--which didn't always happen--bad Mom). I also put him on Hills' prescription food b/d, which is also designed for these dogs.

jetsmom
Jan. 16, 2009, 03:27 PM
nother vote for back/spine problems. My older dog that had spinal arthritis, ended up having a hard time getting up/and would drop poop unknowingly. A pain reliever like and NSAID can help.

Let us know what the vet says.

Bluey
Jan. 16, 2009, 03:34 PM
If your dog has to go in the night, how about taking it out an extra time or two in the night?

When our old dog had liver trouble and had to go more often, I took her out several times a night, came back and washed her and we all went back to sleep.
The prescription diet kept he going with a fair quality of life two more years after symptoms started.:)

You get where you can do it all in your sleep, don't really need to wake up, as you do when foaling mares out.;)