PDA

View Full Version : are you supposed to tip the hay delivery guy?

mbm
Jan. 13, 2009, 09:29 PM
i have no clue! i cant tell if he is just being polite or if he is expecting a tip!

help!

2ndyrgal
Jan. 13, 2009, 09:33 PM
that owns the land, the tractor and is getting the $$$$ for the hay, then the answer is no. If he is the hired hand of the guy that has the hay business, then he's an hourly employee working hard to do a job you and I neither one want to do which is stack hay, then yes I would. When they bale my hay, I split with the man that does the baling, owns the tractor and sells hay to others, but, I tip his day workers and make sure they have a cold drink or two. Good help is really hard to find.

Evalee Hunter
Jan. 13, 2009, 10:35 PM
I don't tip every time, but at Christmas I tip the hay guy AND the guy who helps him unload & stack. I tip the farrier. I tip the feed delivery guy. I tip the oil delivery guy. And so on. Pity those that get paid by my husband as they don't get tipped.

Edited to add: I actually tip the feed delivery guy every few deliveries. He is really great & very helpful. Also the farrier gets tipped periodically. The rest wait for Christmas.

Wanderluster
Jan. 13, 2009, 10:44 PM
That is such a good question. I pay to feed really good hay and for the feed store to deliver it. The guys are here once a month to deliver and stack a fair amount of hay and bagged food. They are fine but occasionally will split open sacks of feed and just leave it. They never tell their boss so one day I asked her if this was happening because I was supposed to tip them. She said that the guys get tipped every once in a while but that it was not expected. I always bring them a cold soda, homemade lemonade, water, and at Christmas the strawberry jam I made.
Maybe I should also tip them it makes sense.

godoget
Jan. 13, 2009, 10:47 PM
I always tip the workers. It doesn't have to be a lot. It's partly to say thank you but it's also for selfish reasons. If they get to know me as a tipper, I get better and quicker service.

Mia412
Jan. 13, 2009, 11:21 PM
I always make sure there are plenty of cold drinks and snacks for my hay guy when he delivers hay. He also does our fields, and when he & his crew are working at the farm I feed them meals and invite them to swim in the pool.

Of course, since my hay guy is young, cute & single I get a LOT more help stacking hay from the teenage girls from the farm next door ;)

My feed guy won't accept tips. Since he owns the store, I leave them cookies on holidays to take back & share.

saddleup
Jan. 14, 2009, 12:26 AM
I don't tip my hay guy. He's the grower, and he charges a delivery fee on top of the per ton cost, so I figure it's all factored in.

I do tip the guys from the feed store that deliver my bales of shavings and feed bags. If there's one I give him $20 and if there are two of them I give them each $10. They're high school kids, and always act eager to come out to my place, so I figure I'm giving them an acceptable amount.

Coreene
Jan. 14, 2009, 12:41 AM
When I send my check to the feed store each month, I always include a twenty dollar bill for the delivery guy, who kindly puts my hay away. He is such a help, because othwrwise I'd be full of hives.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 14, 2009, 01:13 AM
I 'deliver' my own, but my old "bachelor farmer" hay guy I always made cookies or pies or such at Christmas, and he always *seemed* to be really tickled. I started adding an Easter pie to the holiday list... and then a 12 pack or case of Sam Adams during actual haying (when I did not normally see him, but I'd drop it by for him.)

Current hay guy is FASTIDIOUS about counting change, even if I tell him to keep it. I did bring them a pie this year (3rd year with him) and a card at Christmas, expressing how grateful I am for not just his hay, but his HELP. He gave me a ride home once--wtih two round bales on board--and delivered once. BOTH of those times I tipped. (the ride home, I paid for the gas we put in at the station on the way out too)

I try very, very, VERY hard to pay in cash. Once in a blue moon I have to write a check. I know it's appreciated. He takes checks from me, but not from 'one time' or unknown customers. This year we have a shortage, and I'm one of the few customers he's guaranteed for the year. I still might come up a wee bit short in April, but I know he'll get me through at least until then, he turned away a bunch of others.

Current hay guy's son is now my truck mechanic god, and has done very, very right by my. It's a PITA and out of the way to get the truck *to* him, but he's honest and I trust him. They are WONDERFUL people.

So... long way around, delivery, yeah, I'd tip something. Depends on the situation how much. Grower, not so much, BUT, I'm sure to 'take care' of them and show my utmost appreciation. ;)

amdfarm
Jan. 14, 2009, 01:20 AM
I don't tip my hay guy. He's he grower, and he charges a delivery fee on top of the per ton cost, so I figure it's all factored in.

I don't either. My hay guy actually never comes, but he charges me a delivery fee to help w/ those costs and to pay any of the three hourly workers he gets to deliver and set out. He owns the land and the equipment (well he and his dad do, they run the business together.) I get rounds so they never get out of the tractor as someone is here to work gates and help w/ the hitch pin and blocking the wagon. They get paid very well as they're part-timers who have full-time jobs. My main delivery guy's son goes to school w/ my son. They're in the same grade, but different teachers. If his son comes, they get to play a bit while we work.

And I didn't think about it, but the last two times I had hay delivered, not last night, but the two before that. I happened to be out of town and they didn't call and give me a heads-up so I could get someone to my place to help w/ gates and the like. The youngest hired hand volunteered to come out anyway and do it all himself and he hasn't let any horses escape yet!! I really should tip him when he comes out again for going above and beyond the call of duty. I hate not being here, but sometimes it happens. Only twice in two years isn't bad.

If I was getting squares and they were getting delivered, stacked and such, then I'd tip them because I appreciate the help.

The hay guy I used to use on a regular basis (once in awhile when I need squares and can't get them from current hay guy) always sent me a Christmas card saying thanks for my business, which was very nice of them. Their kids help a lot on the farm and I usually give them a little something extra in cash for helping load, especially on those blistering hot/humid days.

mbm
Jan. 14, 2009, 12:25 PM
hey thanks for sharing all of this :)

i still cant figure out if i should tip - here is the situation.

i buy from a guy who grows the hay, but it is delivered by an hourly guy (i assume).... the owners are really great and they go out of their way to take care of me..... and the guy that seems to be the guy that delivers most of the time is *really* good at stacking, etc and he always rakes up afterwards (!).....

so.... if i tip - how much?

generally i get a ton or more at a time but there are times when it might just be 10 bales + bedding etc.

draftdriver
Jan. 14, 2009, 12:57 PM
I give my hay man, the farrier, etc. a small gift (a couple of tins of cashews, e.g.) if they happen to be at the barn during the Christmas period. I have given a small cash tip if services were rendered under unusual conditions. (Once, the hay man and I had to carry the bales by hand half way across the yard to the barn because his tractor got stuck in the snow.) During the summer, I have cold water and cookies available during hot weather. I've given the farrier's young son a couple of $$ to get some Timbits. He was 'helping' his father during spring break. He was thrilled! I think a larger tip to the hay man, farrier, etc., would embarrass both of us.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 14, 2009, 02:26 PM
For the "10 bales & bedding" delivery I wouldn't feel obligated to tip the guy.
When he delivers & stacks a ton or more is when I'd slip him $10 and a sincere Thank You.
By my math a ton would be around 30-40 bales (mine are 50-55# squares) - not an awesome amount to unload and stack - I've done more myself.

gabz
Jan. 14, 2009, 06:29 PM
I don't tip my hay guy since the cost of delivery and stacking is figured into the price and he is the owner. He has a hired helper. However, I always make sure to provide cold water / soda if it's during the summer.

For the guys in the warehouse at the grain store, I try to occasionally take donuts or candy bars (especially when there are fund raisers - I can buy the candy bars and get rid of them) at random times throughout the year. They are always cheerful and helpful loading my truck or car and careful not to break bags open.

My farrier I try to tip $20 - $40 a couple of times a year (my usual bill is around $120-$140). A little more at Xmas. He's MOST helpful with one of my unruly horses and I do appreciate his calm, quiet attitude when he handles the horses.

deltawave
Jan. 14, 2009, 07:00 PM
I always give the crew enough to buy themselves dinner on the way home.

snbess
Jan. 15, 2009, 10:43 PM
I don't tip the hay guy. He's the grower and he adds a delivery charge on top of the price. I expect him, as a business man, to cover what he needs. If I know when he's coming and he shows up (he had truck issues this year and had to cancel more than once), I make him brownies to take on the trip home.

Same for my farrier. I expect her to charge what she needs to charge and she also adds a trip fee. At Christmas, I'll give her some homemade preserves and such, but not cash. She is awesome and I love her but I don't get tipped for doing my job either.

For jobs that are living mostly on tips (servers and such), I certainly tip appropriately.

S1969
Jan. 15, 2009, 10:56 PM
I don't tip my hay guy because he's the grower and charges to deliver & stack, which I sincerely appreciate, but I do try to pay in cash because I know that is appreciated. I tried to tip the guys from Agway who deliver/stack my bedding but they wouldn't take it. Personally I think they enjoy getting away from the store from time to time anyway, but I tried.

In your case...10 bales plus bedding. No, probably not. But a ton...yes, I'd tip the delivery/stacking guy. At least $10 if not a $20....(trying hard to figure out how many small bales make up a ton......maybe $10 is enough....oh, I see 2dogsfarm did the math....30-40 bales I'd tip $10)

smokygirl
Jan. 21, 2009, 09:04 AM
I would tip around $15. Depending on the size of the bales and number. I hate.. hate.. hate getting hay in my hair though, so if I had to.. I'd give them more.. just to not have to do it.

goeslikestink
Jan. 21, 2009, 07:03 PM
get away with you they charge xyz for hay and if delviered then added fuel on top
mines 3 quid a bale and 25 for around one, and 1.50 for straw its delivered i could buy it for 20,00, 2.50 and 1.10 but i havent the transport as i gave my car and trialer to my daughter to use up her yard so i ahve it delviered as it easier for me