PDA

View Full Version : Jingles for my Corgi dog please!

equusvilla
Jan. 13, 2009, 02:13 PM
As if life was not "interesting" enough for me right now...my husband just called to say that he is taking the love of our life - our Corgi Chrissy to the vet. She will not eat but is drinking lots of water and wants to be let out to pee every hour or so. It sounds like the symptoms of a human with diabetes. Can dogs get diabetes? Appointment is not for another 2 1/2 hours and I am so worried.

This is her dressed for Halloween:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_q0y3aFaaLas/RrNzMgkG3cI/AAAAAAAAANs/gRBnT2jZ6xo/s1600-h/CHRISSY_GHOST%5B1%5D.JPG
..and her out of costume with me at a horse show:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_q0y3aFaaLas/RnM7-LiH4RI/AAAAAAAAAAc/ZHZkGi33fqY/s1600-h/chrissy+at+pin+oak.jpg

ASB Stars
Jan. 13, 2009, 02:19 PM
Many, many jingles coming for your Corgi-dog. I had one, many years ago, and she was adorable also...

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 13, 2009, 02:20 PM
Might be just a simple urinary tract infection, antibiotics usually clear those up.

However, there is a condition called diabetes insipidous, the vet suspected that my dog has it, she drinks more than a normal dog, but the diagnosis can be risky, and there really isn't anything that can be done about it. Also, it is not life threatening, not like regular diabetes. Her first inclination was that her urine is always very dilute.

Jingles that it is something easily cured.

equusvilla
Jan. 13, 2009, 02:27 PM
Might be just a simple urinary tract infection, antibiotics usually clear those up.

However, there is a condition called diabetes insipidous, the vet suspected that my dog has it, she drinks more than a normal dog, but the diagnosis can be risky, and there really isn't anything that can be done about it. Also, it is not life threatening, not like regular diabetes. Her first inclination was that her urine is always very dilute.

Jingles that it is something easily cured.

Thank you!!! I am about as close to tears as you can get. This is one of those dogs who is just not replacable. I actually have 5 Corgis ...
Chrissy,
her husband KC of 2 litters,
Annie - a pup that was so tiny and sick we kept her,
Bruiser - a pup my husband fell in love with...and
Petey - SPCA rescue that is visually impared

I love them all - but Chrissy was the first and is my 4 legged child.

trubandloki
Jan. 13, 2009, 02:36 PM
Jingles for your girl.

TKR
Jan. 13, 2009, 02:43 PM
Prayers and jingles for your little Corgi - let us know!
PennyG

mammadoc
Jan. 13, 2009, 02:59 PM
jingles! i have 2 corgis- one that is going to cornell tomorrow for an ortho. consult! poor girl is only 6, not fair. :(
anyway- good luck- would be interested in hearing the diagnosis. have you ever heard of corgi-l? it's a great group of very knowledgable corgi people. google it! you'll love it if you're into talking about corgi (and dog in general) issues.

equusvilla
Jan. 13, 2009, 03:08 PM
jingles! i have 2 corgis- one that is going to cornell tomorrow for an ortho. consult! poor girl is only 6, not fair. :(
anyway- good luck- would be interested in hearing the diagnosis. have you ever heard of corgi-l? it's a great group of very knowledgable corgi people. google it! you'll love it if you're into talking about corgi (and dog in general) issues.

Chrissy's husband - KC started having joint issues fairly young (hence only 2 litters)..so bad that if we let him out to get too much exercise - he would hurt so much the next day that he would drag himself in the back end and cry.. You could also hear his hip make a pop noise when he moved...yikes! Rimadil (spelling??) worked wonders on him! It took about 3-5 weeks of him being on it - but wow did it work!! It also does not pose a danger to major organs like some of the other meds do. He has been on it for years and although he is not allowed full "turnout in the yard" like the other outside dogs, he is not in pain anymore and his hip no longer makes any noise.

Want to hear something funny - My Mother was on Rimadil when we put KC on it - she thought that was funny.

Debbie
Jan. 13, 2009, 03:31 PM
Dogs can get diabetes. My old schnauzer had it and I managed it with 2x a day insulin shots for a few years. Once you get their levels right, they do fine. Hope your girl has something more easily resolved, but diabetes is manageable if that is the diagnosis.

McVillesMom
Jan. 13, 2009, 03:36 PM
There are a *lot* of things that can cause excessive water consumption and urination in dogs. Diabetes is only one of them. You mentioned that she had had litters - is she spayed now? If not, another thing on the list would be a pyometra (infected uterus).

Hopefully it's something not serious. You and Chrissy are in my thoughts! :)

equusvilla
Jan. 13, 2009, 03:55 PM
I have to leave the computer now to see about Chrissy. Will be back either tonight or tomorrow with more info..

EQKate
Jan. 13, 2009, 04:26 PM
Jingles to you and your Corgi. Our newest canine addition is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi who will be ten months old tomorrow (we've had him since he was nine weeks). He is a fabulous dog and has the best personality ever.

One of our cats actually had a pyometra a few years back- not a pretty situation. She's okay now, but had to have an emergency spay operation which luckily saved her since we caught it early on.

Hopefully it is something that will clear up quickly! :) Jingles!

CrzyCorgi
Jan. 13, 2009, 04:35 PM
Jingling for your Chrissy! I have a Crosby (corgi too) and he is the LOFF of my life! I am a vet tech, but when my pets are sick, I am as much of a worry wart and wreck as everyone else! :yes:

The previous posts are correct that many things can cause excessive drinking & urination (including diabetes which can be managed w/ twice daily insulin).

Jingles that it is just a simple UTI (urinary tract infection)

monstrpony
Jan. 13, 2009, 04:53 PM
Jingles for your Corgi!

Another Corgi fan here, I have two. The love of my life, Butler, will be 13 on Valentine's Day, and, alas, has spinal arthritis. He's about lost the use of his back end, he can hop for three or four strides, then flops over. He's pretty good at moving his back end, pushing with his RH, but his LH is pretty useless. He's on Metacam. I know he won't be with me much longer, and am dreading it. My other Corgi, Beauregard, is 5, so he'll have some big pawprints to fill as top dog when his big brother has to go.

Anyhow, hope it is nothing serous with your girl!!

Bluey
Jan. 13, 2009, 05:51 PM
Any news yet?
I have known several dogs with diabetes, one the schnauzer of my own doctor, that said they sure treat dogs a little bit different than people, but he was following the vet's advice, as the dog was sure doing well with that program.

As others said, it may not be that after all.

Buffyblue
Jan. 13, 2009, 06:00 PM
Jingles for Chrissy! I hope it's nothing serious.

Arado*TB
Jan. 13, 2009, 06:23 PM
We have a house full of corgi's all jingling for Chrissy.

Horsecrazy27
Jan. 13, 2009, 08:25 PM
Lots of love and jingles for you!

These canines sure get under our skin!!!!!

God Bless,
T

mkevent
Jan. 13, 2009, 08:41 PM
Jingles for Chrissy-let us know-we're keeping our fingers (and paws) crossed for you

shakeytails
Jan. 13, 2009, 08:45 PM
Jingles for Chrissy! I hope it is something easy like a UTI.

I have six Corgis....great dogs aren't they?

If it IS diabetes, from what I hear it's manageable. My grandfather had an old dog that lived for many happy years being given insulin shots.

SandyHTF
Jan. 13, 2009, 08:59 PM
She is adorable! Mega jingles from Florida!

Amwrider
Jan. 13, 2009, 09:26 PM
more FL jingles for you pup.

equusvilla
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:38 AM
After a vast amount of tests run on my girl, all they found was an intestional infection - not a urinary one. They said she had some blood and mucus in her stool and sent us home with antibiotics. She had an accident in the house last night. It was obvious she was on her way to our bedroom to 'tell' us she needed to go out...but she was leaking and about half way there, I found the puddle. Poor baby.. Anyway - she is still not very interested in eating, but she only had her first dose last night. A friend is coming over today to let her out. The doc said to just call him if she was not eating by Friday.

You guys are so great! I could not believe all of the well wishes I read this morning when I got to my computer.

Jealoushe
Jan. 14, 2009, 09:39 AM
Jingles for a speedy recovery, your pooch is too cute in that costume.

Bluey
Jan. 14, 2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the update.:)
It is a helpless feeling when your dog is sick, is it.:(

Hopefully all will be fine in a few days.:yes:

witherbee
Jan. 14, 2009, 11:33 AM
Awwww, poor baby! Sending jingles for a quick, full recovery. She looks like my girl Sasha's twin (Sasha is on a diet and excercise program and has lost 3 pounds - 10 more to go!):
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/Our%20Pets/?action=view&current=IMG_1023-1.jpg

Do all of you Corgi people have Corgis who sleep like this? http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/Our%20Pets/?action=view&current=Sasha5-31-06-1.jpg

She's got all 4 of my cats sleeping the exact same way - so funny to see a housefull on their backs!
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/Our%20Pets/?action=view&current=Alice3-25-07-1.jpg
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/Our%20Pets/?action=view&current=IMG_2251.jpg

Silly beasties! Hope your girl is feeling better soon!

mkevent
Jan. 14, 2009, 12:13 PM
Jingles for a speedy recovery

Witherbee-your post was too funny. I have 3 corgis-2 of them sleep that way and also always insist of having tummies rubbed. The other corgi was a rescue from a puppy mill so I don't know if she'll ever relax enough to do the full on the back tummy rub but she does let me do the tummy rub from the side!!

dmacaramel
Jan. 14, 2009, 03:27 PM
Jingles for a speedy corgi recovery.

I have 2 and yes they both at times will sleep on their back. The classic corgi pose.

equusvilla
Jan. 14, 2009, 03:43 PM
Thank you..my friend called to say that she was doing well at lunch time! ..and yes - my girl sleeps like that too...but I have never managed to get a picture of her. She hears the flash and rolls over.

QuzqosMa
Jan. 14, 2009, 04:07 PM
Dog Tag Jingles here too. I've got two Pemmies (and am on Corgi-L)...there's nothing as pathetic as a not-feeling-good Corgi! Glad it's something easily treatable...being a Corgi, she probably snarfed up something she shouldn't have!

equusvilla
Jan. 14, 2009, 04:12 PM
Dog Tag Jingles here too. I've got two Pemmies (and am on Corgi-L)...there's nothing as pathetic as a not-feeling-good Corgi! Glad it's something easily treatable...being a Corgi, she probably snarfed up something she shouldn't have!

Ewwweeee - don't even get me thinking in that direction! I won't be able to kiss her anymore (on the top or side of mouth).. It is bad enough - what she can find to roll in when we go on walks!

eventgroupie2
Jan. 14, 2009, 06:11 PM
So glad that your Corgi is doing better! We have our Gumby - the loff of my life (along with hubby and my four horses LOL!!!) that spends most of his life in the "upside-down waiting for a tummy scrat" position. And yes, he has already had surgery to remove a rubber chew toy chunk from his intestine, and is now currently on fiber capsules to pass some slivers of horse hoof that he scarfed up in the time we could shorten his leash...... vacuum cleaner on short legs, for sure!!! :lol:

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Jan. 14, 2009, 07:33 PM
Jingling like crazy for your little one. I love horses but I have to say that my JR's are my babies so I feel what you're going through. Let us know the outcome.

Brydelle Farm
Jan. 14, 2009, 10:19 PM

Some of this info is true and some isn't...sorry, but can't help and share some info about DI with you. There are two types of DI, there is central DI or nephrogenic DI. The first is when there is a deficiency of antidiuretic hormone (ADH) production and the latter is when the kidneys' ability to respond to ADH is compromised, and NDI can be primary or acquired. You have to determine which it is... Both of these are rare, so all other systemic causes for pu/pd (increased thirst and urination) should be ruled out first before any further testing is pursued. A water dep test or modified water dep test (as long as no azotemia is present) is generally indicated but another way to go is a trial on DDAVP (these are drops and you put them in your dogs eye) and monitor urine sp gr..if they are able to concentrate their urine on DDAVP, they have CDI, if no response, NDI is present. Thiazides can be used for dogs with primary NDI, and secondary or acquired DI is treated by identifying and treating the underlying cause. Dogs with DI are prone to dehydration if water is withheld which owners like to do b/c of the excessive urination.

To the OP, glad to hear your girl is improving!!

With signs such as inapptence, mucousy blood stools, and pu/pd, in a female dog, addisons disease would be high on my list, but I am sure they ruled this out if all her blood work (kidney values and electrolytes in particular) was normal, diabetes mellitus was a good idea, but that is a pretty easy rule out, another is cushing syndrome, though most of them still eat unless it goes undiagnosed too long.

Con't jingles!!!

witherbee
Jan. 17, 2009, 08:17 AM
Funny to hear about other Corgis - they are such clowns! Mine doesn't eat rubber etc, but is a prefessional poop eater and hoof trimmings chewer. She is currently on a major diet due to that and a well-meaning boarder who was feeding her powdered donuts (UGH!).

I had never heard of the amazing temperaments of these dogs and how they are known to be "conversationalists". I just love all of the woofs, barks, and yodels that my girl does. I can't imagine not having a Corgi now that I've had one.

I see from the other thread that the OPs Corgi is still being tested. Jingles still coming for Chrissy!

mkevent
Jan. 17, 2009, 10:54 AM
I didn't know the yodeling was normal- our female, dubbed "wooowooo wigglebutt" does both the hound dog yoddle while simultaneously wagging her entire back end-it is so funny-how can you not pet them?? I definitely love the personality of a corgi-we had a border collie before who was a gem-perfectly trainable and a serious work ethic. My corgis lack a productive work ethic(unless you count chasing balls) and are pretty much agility school drop outs because it was more interesting to look for bunny and geese turds than listen to us!! Yet I love the corgis because they love to cuddle and keep us laughing-maybe the Queen of England has a better sense of humor than any of us think?!!

mkevent
Jan. 17, 2009, 11:00 AM
Sorry- I got so busy babbling I forgot to ask for the latest update on Chrissy. I know from the other thread that it may or may not be Cushings? How is she doing?

equusvilla
Jan. 19, 2009, 06:28 PM
First she was diagnosised with an intestional infection...and yes - she did indeed have one, but she continued to be ill. She continued to drink huge amounts of water and have no appetite. We went back to the vet. He wanted to test her for Cushings. I scheduled the test for the next day. That night Chrissy started to 'leak" out a substance of blood and puss. I called the vet at home. He said this was a good sign and that they would test her for pymetria (sp??) as well.

The next day my husband dropped her off at the vets office. She had tested negative for Cushings, but positive for Pymetria (severe uterine infection). The vet said it was one of the strangest cases he had ever seen because her white blood cell count was normal.

Anyway, now she has been on antiobiotics for a week and is scheduled to be spayed tomorrow. This has been a nightmare...and it is still not over. I am so tired of seeing my girl just sulk...refuse food, look like she is ashamed for having an accident in the house, vomit and just not being herself...I pray that this operation brings her back to life.

Thank you to everyone who has wished her well.

Buffyblue
Jan. 19, 2009, 06:44 PM
Poor doggie! My cat got pymetria and the vet scheduled her for immediate emergency surgery (spay). That was about 14 years ago. She's curled up by my feet right now. Jingles for Chrissy!

Bluey
Jan. 19, 2009, 06:47 PM
First she was diagnosised with an intestional infection...and yes - she did indeed have one, but she continued to be ill. She continued to drink huge amounts of water and have no appetite. We went back to the vet. He wanted to test her for Cushings. I scheduled the test for the next day. That night Chrissy started to 'leak" out a substance of blood and puss. I called the vet at home. He said this was a good sign and that they would test her for pymetria (sp??) as well.

The next day my husband dropped her off at the vets office. She had tested negative for Cushings, but positive for Pymetria (severe uterine infection). The vet said it was one of the strangest cases he had ever seen because her white blood cell count was normal.

Anyway, now she has been on antiobiotics for a week and is scheduled to be spayed tomorrow. This has been a nightmare...and it is still not over. I am so tired of seeing my girl just sulk...refuse food, look like she is ashamed for having an accident in the house, vomit and just not being herself...I pray that this operation brings her back to life.

Thank you to everyone who has wished her well.

Pyometra is a very severe kind of infection that kills females that have not been spayed.

Once your vet had a diagnosis, it is easy to clear by medicating and spaying, so all should be fine now and she should rally quickly and feel much better.

mkevent
Jan. 19, 2009, 07:22 PM
Jingles for Chrissy-keep us posted!

cardicorgi
Jan. 19, 2009, 07:22 PM
Good luck with your Chrissy; may her health and appetite return soon.

Corgis are absolutely my favorite breed (we have 2) though I notice that more of them seem to have back problems (including mine, who had surgery) that I don't recall hearing about 20-30 years ago.

I love watching them FRAP. And I think, like potato chips, you can't have just one. :yes:

eventgroupie2
Jan. 20, 2009, 06:38 PM
Any news on Chrissy?
Massive jingles from VA!

cavalli
Jan. 20, 2009, 07:45 PM
lots of jingles hoping the surgery went well and she is recovering promptly

equusvilla
Jan. 21, 2009, 09:49 AM
Chrissy had to stay at the vets office over night. Hubby is on his way right now to pick her up. Ohhh - I wish I was there!!!!

mkevent
Jan. 21, 2009, 11:59 AM
Let us know how she's doing- I got 3 corgis on the edge of their seats(or dog beds,as the case may be)

equusvilla
Jan. 21, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hubby has her at home now. He said she is pretty groggy and that the vet said the infection was really bad. We were lucky. I can't wait to get home to cuddle with my girl. Thanks for the kind concern :0)

eventgroupie2
Jan. 21, 2009, 06:51 PM
More jingles from VA!

mkevent
Jan. 21, 2009, 07:43 PM
Just thinking about Chrissy-I'm glad to hear she's home-poor little girl! My female Skye had bladder surgery (stones) this past summer and I remember how groggy and sad she looked the first few days-especially with the Elizabethian collar on (which she hated)! Jingles for your girl!

monstrpony
Jan. 21, 2009, 08:19 PM
Butler and Beau wish Chrissy a quick recovery! I gather that recovery from this surgery is pretty good as long as the infection was isolated. She should feel better pretty quickly.

equusvilla
Jan. 22, 2009, 10:42 AM
Thankfully we have not had to resort to "The Collar" and hopefully we will not have to. She wagged her cute little button tail when she saw me...and I think if I had one it would surely be wagging too! After a short outside potty break, she got the shivers. I wrapped her up in a blanket and put her in my bed. She snored (loudly!) for over an hour!

Bluey
Jan. 22, 2009, 11:09 AM
Thankfully we have not had to resort to "The Collar" and hopefully we will not have to. She wagged her cute little button tail when she saw me...and I think if I had one it would surely be wagging too! After a short outside potty break, she got the shivers. I wrapped her up in a blanket and put her in my bed. She snored (loudly!) for over an hour!

I bet you won't need a collar, but without one, you do have to keep your eye very close on one for a few days, just in case.

Looks like you got your dog back.:)

mkevent
Jan. 22, 2009, 11:58 AM
So happy to hear the positive news-nothing says happy like a snoring dog!(snoring husbands are a different issue)

eventgroupie2
Jan. 23, 2009, 09:13 PM
Gumby (my Corgi) and I are still jingling from VA----how is Chrissy doing?