PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the cats' water dish from freezing?

Renn/aissance
Jan. 13, 2009, 11:39 AM
We have a thick plastic water dish outside for the barn cats and big dogs. I've been clearing ice out two or three times a day. Is there such a thing as a heated water dish? I thought about trying to rig up a heated horse bucket with an extension cord but given Lard-Arse Cat's level of grace we'd probably be fishing frozen cat out of the bucket in the morning if he tried to pop up and drink out of it.

AKB
Jan. 13, 2009, 11:43 AM
Yes, you can buy a heated water bowl. They are like the electric buckets that we plug in and use in stalls. We used to use a heated water bowl for our chickens. Several of the big mail order places have them, including, I think, KV Vet.

yellowbritches
Jan. 13, 2009, 11:43 AM
Yep, you can get pet sized heated dishes, they are usually dog size, though. I usually try and keep a water sorce somewhere warm where they can get in, or at least warmer than everywhere else. Sometimes just moving the bowl to the center of the barn helps a whole lot.

Lilykoi
Jan. 13, 2009, 11:44 AM
Most of the Vet supply or pet catalogs on line have a heated water dish for outside pets.
We have one for our barn cats and it works quite well. Kind of a mini version of the heated buckets for the horses.

trubandloki
Jan. 13, 2009, 12:01 PM
I have a heated water bowl for my barn cats and it works wonderfully.

SBF
Jan. 13, 2009, 12:04 PM
I have a heated water bowl for my barn cats and it works wonderfully.

Ditto; I also have a heated pad my barn cat can sleep on.

trubandloki
Jan. 13, 2009, 12:05 PM
Ditto; I also have a heated pad my barn cat can sleep on.

I am so not telling my cats about that. They will go on strike until they get one.

Simkie
Jan. 13, 2009, 12:08 PM
There are a whole slew of heated bowls out there. http://www.petvetsupply.com/hepetbononsa.html

webmistress32
Jan. 13, 2009, 12:24 PM
not only do my cats have a heated water bowl they have a heat room I made out of a dog crate covered with a big blanket, two brooding lamps and their kitty beds.

oh and it's a loft - set up on top of a pallet so it's off the floor.

mmmmm!

Cashela
Jan. 13, 2009, 12:30 PM
I've got the heated dish and it works great for my semi feral cat that lives in my garage.

Guin
Jan. 14, 2009, 06:45 PM
You could also put a water dish on top of a heating pad.

Equibrit
Jan. 14, 2009, 06:51 PM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1277&ref=3928&subref=AA&s_kwcid=heated%20dog%20waterer%7C2631732291

$24.99

JoZ
Jan. 15, 2009, 01:07 AM
I have successfully gone the non-electric route, though of course we don't have the extended periods of sub-freezing temps here. I bring out a gallon jug of warm water twice a day and fill the kitty dish. If there's a lot of ice in it, I'll bang the bowl on the ground to get the ice to fall out. If there's not much ice I just pour the warm water over it.

The kitties are able to drink for quite a few hours before it freezes over again. They also have learned what the warm water fill-up means, so they come to quench their thirst whe they hear me at the bowl.

equusus
Jan. 15, 2009, 08:56 AM
I make my barn cats drink out of the horses' water. I am mean.

kcgold
Jan. 15, 2009, 09:24 AM
Tractor Supply carries them, too...

Mia412
Jan. 15, 2009, 01:15 PM
After watching our barn cats go outside, jump up on the edge of the heated trough, and drink, we bought them a heated water bowl. They still mostly prefer to drink out of the tank unless my young horse is nearby. (as he loves to push them in)

They really seem to prefer if the heated bowl is empty - then they sit in it! I guess it's a better spot than the heated feed room they have access to via cat door.

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 18, 2009, 05:12 PM
Renn, I got mine from the Tractor Supply in Westminster. It works well and wasn't terribly expensive--maybe 20 bucks?

Romany
Jan. 18, 2009, 05:53 PM
After watching our barn cats go outside, jump up on the edge of the heated trough, and drink, we bought them a heated water bowl. They still mostly prefer to drink out of the tank unless my young horse is nearby. (as he loves to push them in)

They really seem to prefer if the heated bowl is empty - then they sit in it! I guess it's a better spot than the heated feed room they have access to via cat door.

Smart cats! Pictures, please: that's a very sweet image. :)