View Full Version : Any hope for my hose?

Jan. 13, 2009, 08:41 AM
I think I have stripped the threads on the end of the hose you put the nozzle on. No matter how tight I put it on, it leaks and sprays everywhere while I am watering the horses. It is a very nice, expensive hose - can I splice it or somehow replace the end? I hate to get rid of the whole thing - but if I have to, I will - I'm not crazy about getting my gloves wet in 30 degree weahter!

Evalee Hunter
Jan. 13, 2009, 09:39 AM
You may just need a washer. You can buy hose washers in the hardware store. Often when you buy hoses, the washers are not inside the connection but attached to the cardboard label. Maybe the washers got lost or stolen before you bought the hose. Also, washers wear out & get squashed so you need new ones periodically. Start by getting some washers & trying one.

If the washer doesn't work, you CAN buy a new hose end in the hardware store. I would NOT buy a plastic one, even if I had to visit more than one hardware store. I would buy brass. They are pretty easy to put on if that's what you need.

Jan. 13, 2009, 09:42 AM
I agree. I keep a stash of those little rubber washers handy - they're always falling out and getting lost when I drag hoses around. I bet that's what you lost in your hose!

Happy Feet
Jan. 13, 2009, 09:45 AM
Hardware stores sell a new end. They sell both female and male ends, cut the existing hose with a knife or scizzors, then insert the new end and tighten it up. I think the ends with the big plastic 2 semi circles that fit togather over teh hose works better that the ones with the metal peice that you tighten with a screwdriver. I ahve no idea if this makes any sense but maybe when your standing in front of a wall full of options you be able to figure out what I am saying! LOL! They work well, and extend the life of a hose for awhile anyway!

Jan. 13, 2009, 09:46 AM
Just wanted to say my morning eyes read this as "Any hope for my horse?"

Glad to see it is your hose! I second/third a new rubber ring. If that doesn't work (and you are or have access to a handy person, you can buy a new end to your hose at the hardware store, and splice it.

Jan. 13, 2009, 10:31 AM
Another vote for "The washer fell out". Check that before you cut your hose. I keep a few extra washers around just because they tend to get lost.

Jan. 13, 2009, 11:29 AM
If there's a problem with a hose to hose or hose to nozzle connection, 99.999% of the time, it's with the female connection. The washer deteriorates/disappears, or the swivel conncection wears thin and leaks.

The best kind of replacement hose end is one has a self-clamp -- about a dozen little metal "leaves" that are originally extended far enough back to let you slip the littl cylinder inside the hose, then hammer the leaves down tight against the outside of the hose. It makes a nice smooth connection that isn't always getting caught on whatever you have to pull it past (unlike the bulky plastic ones or the band clamps that need a screw to tighten).

Jan. 13, 2009, 01:33 PM
I have used the plastic hose ends, when mine need replacing and plastic splices if I need to fix a leaky spot. I don't use the metal replacement ends.

The plastic are cheap, easy to put on and wear pretty well for me. I can take them back off when hose dies, reuse elsewhere. Get good name ones, Gilmour, True Value, K-Mart. I like the yellow and green ends and splices, over any black plastic ones, they seem to last better. With all our hose dragging to water, we wear out the hoses, hose ends, so they do need replacing on a regular basis.

Any place you screw a hose end into, there should be a soft rubber washer. Soft to compress and expand sideways to fill the space to prevent leaking. Washers get lost or old, need replacing to prevent dribbles and leaks during use.

The brass ends and splices just don't last well here, leak a lot, take more work to install, for me.

Jan. 13, 2009, 07:35 PM
The only replacement ends that I can get to work correctly without leaking are the metal ones that are screwed on.

I agree about the washers though. That might be all that you need.

Jan. 13, 2009, 07:51 PM
I just keep a stash of hose splices and ends. I note that my hoses don't break as often now that they know I have one waiting. ;)

Jan. 13, 2009, 09:48 PM
You can easily put a new hose end on, UNLESS it's a no-kink hose that's ribbed on the inside. Hopefully you just need a washer.

Tom King
Jan. 13, 2009, 10:02 PM
I have used the replacement ends but the inside diameter is always smaller than the original and slows up the water flow enough to matter to me.

If it's not just a washer problem I'd buy a new hose. Good ones last a LONG time.

Evalee Hunter
Jan. 13, 2009, 10:30 PM
. . . . It is a very nice, expensive hose . . . .

Most expensive hoses I've seen have a warranty. For example, Craftsman Hoses at Sears have a lifetime guarantee. You don't need to return the whole hose (as far as I remember), just the two ends.

ASB Stars
Jan. 13, 2009, 10:49 PM
I just keep a stash of hose splices and ends. I note that my hoses don't break as often now that they know I have one waiting. ;)

:lol: Me too!! :lol:

Jan. 14, 2009, 07:52 AM
thanks for all the great advice everyone - I am off to the giant orange store today to get washers and splice equipment!!!