PDA

View Full Version : Emaciated Young Hound -- Advice?

TKR
Jan. 12, 2009, 12:03 PM
I looked out the window this AM, and a pathetic young redbone hound was desperately searching for something edible. She is obviously young (under a year) and just skin stretched over protruding bones, sunk in everywhere and some sores on her legs (could have been caught in a trap), but a gorgeous face and expression. I immediately put some canned food in a bowl and gave it to her and she just gulped it down. I gave her a bit of dry also. Then I cooked some rice in some chicken broth and I'm giving her small amounts every 2 or 3 hours with canned food and olive oil and will be getting some chicken livers or ground meat to cook and give her with it. This is just heartbreaking, but she found the right place -- any other suggestions for her? I won't deworm or anything until she regains some weight. I know she'll need a warm place to sleep and probably a coat or something. Anyone need a sweet young hound? TIA
PennyG

BuddyRoo
Jan. 12, 2009, 12:32 PM
I guess my recommendation would be to take her in to the vet as soon as you can.

Also to be careful on the food because if she's that emaciated, feeding her a lot at once can make her sick.

If you have other pets, be careful to quarantine her if she's going to hang out at your place.

Good luck!

JSwan
Jan. 12, 2009, 01:09 PM
Notify Animal Control that you have found a lost/abandoned dog. For all you know she may indeed be lost and been out for some time. You'd be amazed how far animals can travel if they're scared. I once found a dog that had been reported lost several counties away, and only reported missing in its home county. I have no idea why I thought to check other shelters... but I did.

Don't feed her. Feeding her if she's starved can kill her. Fast. You need to get the help of a vet or a vet tech for advice on refeeding.

If you wish to tend to the animal at your expense, take her to the vet immediately. She may need fluids, and you'll at least want to give her a rabies shot. (ask the vet to cut you a break since you're being a Good Samaritan - mine does!)

Any evidence that she's nursing?

Bluey
Jan. 12, 2009, 01:13 PM
Sounds like a good plan on the feeding, just keep going easy on it.

Try to get her to a vet asap and have them also check for a microchip.
She may be someone else's that is going nuts looking for her and then she may not be.

We kept a very nice sweet cat once, or lets say he stayed over for a few days until a lady came over crying about having lost her cat and he was at that time, late in the evening, asleep on my pillow.
He was happy to see her and she could not thank us enough for keeping him safe, although maybe she wanted to kill us for not having checked around for his owner.:no:

Any pictures of your new dog?:cool:

TKR
Jan. 12, 2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. I've actually done this before, but you can always learn something from this message board. She is doing ok with the small feedings. I have the Chicken Soup dry and canned food and rice/broth and will also use some ground meat, etc. I can't get her to the vet today, but will get that done. Here are some photos. She is feeling better after a few meals.
Thanks!
PennyG

BuddyRoo
Jan. 12, 2009, 02:05 PM
Oh wow. You weren't kidding. Skin and bones.

Good luck. Poor pup...looks like her luck is changing though. That's great!

caevent
Jan. 12, 2009, 02:26 PM
Oh my. Looks like she's going to be stunning after some TLC. Please keep us posted on this girl!:yes:

Bluey
Jan. 12, 2009, 02:52 PM
Her toenails look so long I don't think she has been lost and on the road long, but is looking more like a case of neglect.:(

The vet will also test for heartworms, I think.

She is sure pretty and looks strong, so maybe she will be fine with good food and care.:)

Foxhound
Jan. 12, 2009, 03:27 PM
I doubt you will find a microchip, or a report of someone looking for her. A lot of hunters will dump a hound that doesn't hunt.
I found a hound a few years ago that looked like that. She was in the median of the highway, and the only reason I was able to catch her is because I had purchased some cheese at a farmer's market. I used it to bribe her until she was close enough to grab. Fortunately, she had a collar on. Unfortunately, it had taken most of the hair off her neck. However, a lot of her hair loss (like on her belly) was from malnutrition. Her skin was in such bad shape that she would scratch herself bloody. She also had worms, heartworms, lyme disease, and ehrlichia.
I named her "Skinny Minnie," for obvious reasons. The vet had me feed her puppy food for several months, as it's higher in calories and protein. I also gave her Omega-3 supplements for her skin and coat. We had to put quite a bit of weight on her before she could be treated for the HW, and of course once her body condition improved, she came in heat.
It's unlikely that your hound has had any preventative care, as many of these hunters just don't bother with it. It's cheaper to get another dog than to treat the one they have. I'm not saying that all the people who hunt with hounds are like this, just some of them.
She's also unlikely to be housebroken, as she's probably lived in a kennel or out on a chain her whole life. Minnie was terrified of normal household sounds, like the dryer, the garage door opener, or the refrigerator coming on.
You will find that once you get her feeling better, she will turn out to be a wonderful, affectionate dog. Minnie is very sweet, and seems to have recovered from her past. She's happiest cuddled up with me on "her" couch.

Edited to add that she looks like a Redbone Hound.
Also, I got a Good Samaritan grant from United Animal Nations. They pay it directly to the vet to help defray the cost of treatment.

TKR
Jan. 12, 2009, 03:40 PM
She's is dripping tapeworms. I'd love to get rid of those. I have some liquid pyrantel Pamoate and will check and see if I have any of the tapeworm pills for dogs. I might wait a couple of days to give it to her, but the worms are doing damage and taking away nutrition the longer they stay. She probably has all other varieties including heart worms as well, which we will take care of as she can handle it. My sister is coming out with a sweater for her and I moved an igloo up by the back door and put bedding in it and have a doggie bed also coming for her. I'd love to get her to stay in the feed room of one of the stallion barns, it's warm and cozy with alot of hay on the floor. I need to cook some more rice. It's so hard to see her like this -- I just want to fix it all at once, which is my problem and I'll have to find a dose of "patience" for me (very elusive!). Thanks for the advice. I'll post pictures as she recovers.
PennyG

Foxhound
Jan. 12, 2009, 03:51 PM
Will she let you handle her? Does she appear to have any clue about walking on a leash?

AKB
Jan. 12, 2009, 03:52 PM
She is very cute. Keep posting pictures as she gets healthy and fills out.

FatPalomino
Jan. 12, 2009, 03:54 PM
She's is dripping tapeworms. I'd love to get rid of those. I have some liquid pyrantel Pamoate and will check and see if I have any of the tapeworm pills for dogs.I might wait a couple of days to give it to her, but the worms are doing damage and taking away nutrition the longer they stay.

You need Praziquantel for the tapes. I would *not* deworm her until you brought her to a vet.

I can think of several other parasites that are much more pathogenic and harmful than tape worms.

I would be *Very* careful feeding her. We took an old dog that looked like this, and we started feeding him 1/4 or 1/2 cup of food 3 or 4 times daily. Yes, it will take time to put weight on them, but for a dog that has not seen a good meal in a long time, refeeding syndrome can literally kill. Also, I would feed her dog food rather than a variety of other sorts of human food.

I would make sure she goes to a vet with a microchip scanner. Many good breeders will chip all their puppies....

She looks like a doll, and I am so glad you took her in. She wouldn't have survived long out there...

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jan. 12, 2009, 04:07 PM
Good on you for taking her in.:cool: She's going to be a beautiful girl with some TLC.

I can't really add any advice - but I have learned a few things about treating for HWs (through working with border collie rescue) so let us know when you get to that stage.

I had no idea about re-feeding syndrome until I joined COTH. Y'all are a wealth of information.:yes:

Griffyn
Jan. 12, 2009, 04:09 PM
I would snatch her up in a second! Pretty girl, and good luck.

awm
Jan. 12, 2009, 05:35 PM
Did you check inside her earflaps to see if she has any tatoos?
That might give a clue-------

Go Fish
Jan. 12, 2009, 06:03 PM
Your Karma just went up a few points...I heart you for taking her in.

What a beautiful dog...she appears to have been without food for a long time. Obviously you don't know her circumstances, but a dog that emaciated has been starved for weeks. I have Corgis but have always had a soft spot for "Southern" hound breeds. Keep us up-to-date on her.

shea'smom
Jan. 12, 2009, 07:31 PM
She is going to be beautiful. A pox on the idiot who let her get like that.
You are a saviour.
My sister just almost lost a dog to bloat, she was lost for 4 days and when she came home my sister fed her a regular meal and she immediately bloated. she knows dogs, but didnt think about this.
So be careful and bless you for taking her in.

AiryFairy
Jan. 12, 2009, 10:37 PM
Like others have said, be very careful with the food, ESPECIALLY the fats, if anything a sudden large dose of fat can give her pancreatitis and that's very deadly, especially to a hound who's already so debilitated. Once she's seen a vet, a few small bland meals a day like boiled chicken and broth with dry food will ease her system back to normal and prevent her from getting sick or from bloating.

chai
Jan. 12, 2009, 10:40 PM
No advice here but I just wanted to say how kind it is that you helped that hound.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Jan. 13, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hey TKR bless you for taking her in & feeding her. If you took her to the vet they'd probably worm her straight away with something mild. She will probably do better the sooner she's wormed. She's going to be beautiful. All I ever find around here are dogs from the "hood". Pit bulls & chows. Tough dogs that remain trouble makers.
Whe can't a nice, beautiful hound show up sometime?
If I go broke I'm going to wander over to your house for you to feed me too! Oh yeah, I'll be bringing about 8 horses & 4 dogs.

yellow-horse
Jan. 13, 2009, 01:09 PM
what a nice looking dog
this happens to us a few times a year here, i too would call a/c although if she doesn't have a collar, she is probably dumped or abandoned, everyone i know who hunts even the guys who take pitiful care of their dogs have collars on them. if you call a/c tell them you have what looks like to be a stray houd, and if they want to pick her up tell them you will adopt the dog, this way its all legal
my fear with my stray hounds is either some guy is going to clami i neutered his prize bitch or the dog wanders back to the bad home and now i have no legal stand to take, the other thing is a/c finds the owner, if the dog has been neglected it may give them the right to look at the other dogs in that persons care, but if you go that route, make sure you tell a/c, you will adopt the dog and not put it down, if you have to go to the shelter everyday to make sure the staff there knows this is "your" dog then do that
the a/c officer where i live generally lets you just keep the dog if no one is looking for it and it has no id
i agree with vet visit, mine gives me a huge break for strays, we have no real shelter here and the strays picked up by a/c are housed at the local vet and pts after 3 days
this approach won't work if you have a doody head a/c officer however
i have had hounds for years, all of them strays that come out of the woods looking for help, only one did not recover from multiple diseases and trauma although she did live another year but the heartworm damage got to her eventually

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jan. 13, 2009, 01:15 PM
I don't think she'd survive being in a shelter.

At least not one of ours - we had 100 euthanized over Xmas to stop a distemper epidemic that the shelter knew about in October:mad: - but I digress. Even fairly well-run shelters are rife with coccidia, giardia, coronavirus and parvovirus. I'd never take a debilitated animal to one. And probably not a healthy one, if I wanted it to stay that way.

I'd advertise that I'd found the hound, and tell the shelter in case the owner called there looking, but I'd keep her at home with me.

JSwan
Jan. 13, 2009, 01:24 PM
Checking in to see how she is doing. She's a beautiful hound. If she was closer, I'd swoop in and "liberate" her from your house! I love hounds!!!!

Good luck.

yellow-horse
Jan. 13, 2009, 01:29 PM
pAint, thats why i said you have to know the a/c and make sure he/she isn't a doofus, the one where i live 9 times out of 10 just says keep the dog if there is no id

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 13, 2009, 02:17 PM
Bless you for helping the poor thing! I don't have any advice either, I have to call animal control for the strays that find their way to me because there is no room at the inn (we have 4 dogs already, and a limit on domestic animals based on our deed restrictions).

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jan. 13, 2009, 02:22 PM
pAint, thats why i said you have to know the a/c and make sure he/she isn't a doofus, the one where i live 9 times out of 10 just says keep the dog if there is no id

Ah.:yes: Around here, AC wouldn't even come for a stray if you begged 'em, but that's because the county shelter was closed due to the distemper epidemic. I hope it was my imagination, but I thought I saw more pregnant bitches and bitches with pups at foot during that month, just wandering the fields, than I ever had before.:(
I don't understand folks who won't spay and then kick the bitch out once she's knocked up.:confused:

Speaking of which - I wonder if the redbone girl is still in possession of all her plumbing? Hope she's not got a dozen little buns in the oven. :uhoh: :)

TKR
Jan. 13, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all the advice and kind remarks. First of all, she's doing great -- much brighter today and checking out the farm. Just being cautious with her and my barn kitty. My dear sister came last night with a doggie coat and tapeworm meds (for dogs). This morning, I put some Advantix on her and treated her ears for mites. Her many sores seem to be healing, although the scars of course won't go away. I have a friend in Fairhope who might take her home. She is really bonding to me, though, so we'll see. She has to do well with the cats for either of us. She is very smart, figures out things pretty quickly. I love her expression. I hope she isn't pregnant, either, but in her condition I can't imagine her repro system functioning.

As far as calling A/C, I will call our local Humane Society today. They are a "clearing house" for pets that are found or missing and I'll ask them about reporting her to animal control. Our animal control is mostly useless since the only one who cared left. They only do the minimum amount, hide behind the law, etc. -- so I doubt they would care. I have checked the newspaper and bulletin boards around town.

My hay supplier is a hound guy and hunter and he says they are dumped often at the end of the deer/dog season and he wouldn't worry about anyone looking for her.

So, I will certainly cover my bases and have her checked for a microchip later this week when we get to my vets (40 miles away). He knows about her and is advising me. Mostly wants to give her a parvo shot.

I have taken in more strays and brought home so many lost or on the street animals in all kinds of shape than I could count, so this isn't new for me. I've had other hounds and breeds come up as well as cats. I will feed anything that shows up and try to do the right thing by them. I think all of my dogs and cats have a "story" except for my GSD, who I was very selective about. They just all have to get along!

She is eating well, still getting rice/broth/canned puppy food (the Chicken Soup stuff) and the dry of the same brand with some oil and the vitamins in the tube for animals in poor condition. She has an igloo well bedded outside the back door and a "nest" of straw and blankets inside Murray's feed area, which is a board building and warm. I will probably give her some dewormer tonight or tomorrow for rounds and hooks and just try to keep her warm and fed.

My hubby asked this morning if I thought she'd still be here -- HA! I laughed and said I don't think you could blast her out of here now. These poor animals in such disreputable shape just want a place to crash and be safe and have some food. It's the saddest thing.
I'll take some more pictures in the next week or two and maybe she'll start looking better. Her coat is going to be gorgeous -- very rich color. My sister named her "Sophie" for the movie "Sophie's Choice" but I think she looks more like an Emmylou or Elly Mae. She doesn't care what I call her as long as I call her to dinner. So, that's where we are. Thanks for caring.
PennyG

CanterQueen
Jan. 13, 2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks for all the advice and kind remarks. First of all, she's doing great -- much brighter today and checking out the farm. Just being cautious with her and my barn kitty. My dear sister came last night with a doggie coat and tapeworm meds (for dogs). This morning, I put some Advantix on her and treated her ears for mites. Her many sores seem to be healing, although the scars of course won't go away. I have a friend in Fairhope who might take her home. She is really bonding to me, though, so we'll see. She has to do well with the cats for either of us. She is very smart, figures out things pretty quickly. I love her expression. I hope she isn't pregnant, either, but in her condition I can't imagine her repro system functioning.

As far as calling A/C, I will call our local Humane Society today. They are a "clearing house" for pets that are found or missing and I'll ask them about reporting her to animal control. Our animal control is mostly useless since the only one who cared left. They only do the minimum amount, hide behind the law, etc. -- so I doubt they would care. I have checked the newspaper and bulletin boards around town.

My hay supplier is a hound guy and hunter and he says they are dumped often at the end of the deer/dog season and he wouldn't worry about anyone looking for her.

So, I will certainly cover my bases and have her checked for a microchip later this week when we get to my vets (40 miles away). He knows about her and is advising me. Mostly wants to give her a parvo shot.

I have taken in more strays and brought home so many lost or on the street animals in all kinds of shape than I could count, so this isn't new for me. I've had other hounds and breeds come up as well as cats. I will feed anything that shows up and try to do the right thing by them. I think all of my dogs and cats have a "story" except for my GSD, who I was very selective about. They just all have to get along!

She is eating well, still getting rice/broth/canned puppy food (the Chicken Soup stuff) and the dry of the same brand with some oil and the vitamins in the tube for animals in poor condition. She has an igloo well bedded outside the back door and a "nest" of straw and blankets inside Murray's feed area, which is a board building and warm. I will probably give her some dewormer tonight or tomorrow for rounds and hooks and just try to keep her warm and fed.

My hubby asked this morning if I thought she'd still be here -- HA! I laughed and said I don't think you could blast her out of here now. These poor animals in such disreputable shape just want a place to crash and be safe and have some food. It's the saddest thing.
I'll take some more pictures in the next week or two and maybe she'll start looking better. Her coat is going to be gorgeous -- very rich color. My sister named her "Sophie" for the movie "Sophie's Choice" but I think she looks more like an Emmylou or Elly Mae. She doesn't care what I call her as long as I call her to dinner. So, that's where we are. Thanks for caring.
PennyG

God Bless you, Penny. You are an inspiration to us all. Thank you for making a difference. :sadsmile:

Auventera Two
Jan. 13, 2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. I've actually done this before, but you can always learn something from this message board. She is doing ok with the small feedings. I have the Chicken Soup dry and canned food and rice/broth and will also use some ground meat, etc. I can't get her to the vet today, but will get that done. Here are some photos. She is feeling better after a few meals.
Thanks!
PennyG

Awwwwwwww, what a sweetie! :sadsmile: I adore hounds. There's a special place in heaven for people like you Penny! :)

We rehabbed an emaciated and wounded treeing walker with small, frequent meals. The vet removed several abscessed teeth, and treated a skull fracture. Be ready for some explosive diarehea and maybe vomitting as her system adjusts to having food again.

My Weimaraner's name is Sophia Rae and we call her Sophie, Sophers, or Sopher Toes. She has the longest skinniest toes. :winkgrin: :lol:

You are a life saver, here's a toast to you for what you're doing!! :D

P.S. - A note on doggie coats - my 3 wear Weatherbeeta fleece, and kennel coats. They are AWESOME. Very high quality, last forever, and very soft, warm and comfortable. I bought them from here: http://www.horsetackco.com/weatherbeeta-fleece-dog-Blanket.html and http://www.horsetackco.com/weatherbeeta-kennel-dog-blanket.html

yellow-horse
Jan. 14, 2009, 01:20 AM
well one of the hounds that showed up here, honey bunny hound dog, or hunka bunka as we called her was pregnant, she had her pups before i could catch her, she made a nest for herself in the round bale shed but everytime i got near her, she took off until she had the pups, when i got her to the vet she was heartworm, lymes, erlichia pos and in terrible shape awful arthtis and sores all over her, terrible mange you get the picture but had 8 healthy pups, she did evenatually make it into the house and loved the couch and tv, she had her pups on christams eve and died the follwoing christmas eve, but she lived long enough to have her babies, take care of them and get to be a pet, so don't discount that she could be pregnant, my husband had to build a whelping box for her and we turned the garage into a nursery until we could get hunka bunka to give in and come inside

this made my friend laugh or cry, not sure which, my friend breeds jrt's and will spend 1000's to get maybe one pup born alive, all i had to do was put out some dog food

right now lilly marlena is sitting in her barcolounger, last years rescue, my husband keeps the dog feed in trash bins in the garage, i went out to feed one evening and the bin was rattling and bashing around, i thought oh oh raccoon in the feed, took off the lid ready to bash the thing and it ws lilly marlena, pitiful old hound, she's a bit chubby now, we sing her song to her "oh she fell into a vat of kibble, she fell into a vat a kibble and she didn't want to hunt no more" she likes when we sing to her

JSwan
Jan. 14, 2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks so much for the update. I'm so glad she's perking up and seems to be doing well.

She's a lucky hound.

I hope there is a special place in Hell reserved for the "thing" that abandoned her. Curse him.

BenNevis
Jan. 19, 2009, 11:14 AM
Any update? Is she still doing well?

BenNevis who has hounds of her own...

TKR
Jan. 19, 2009, 11:34 AM
She is doing GREAT!!! The coat my sister brought didn't really fit her well, so I got her a Weatherbeeta that is perfect for her. It's a week today since she appeared and although she is still skinny and bony, she is filling out some and looks better. She is very happy and eating well (Chicken Soup brand stuff + vitamins, etc.). My friend in Fairhope is going to take her and I will probably meet her and her husband Friday for the exchange. I am going to try to have her bathed and toenails clipped this week. I took some photos this AM, so maybe you can see some difference. Oh, we named her "Scarlet" -- she's such a rich red color and the line from Gone With the Wind - "I'll never be hungry again" is what we are hoping for her.

Thanks,
PennyG

Dune
Jan. 19, 2009, 01:00 PM
Just being cautious with her and my barn kitty. This morning, I put some Advantix on her

PennyG

BE CAREFUL using the Advantix around cats!!!! IT is toxic to them. I'd never recommend using Advantix in "mixed" households, Frontline only! :yes:

KPF
Jan. 19, 2009, 03:12 PM
Don't assume someone abandoned her... we had an older hound in a similar skinny condition appear at our house one night a month or so ago. He had a collar on with a tag, but was so shy we couldn't get him to come to us so we could read it. Finally after an hour of coaxing him with food, we got the number, then called and it was disconnected. We were lamenting the fact that someone had starved the poor thing, put him up in the barn for the night with a nice warm shavings pile to lay in, and called Animal Control the next day. Turns out AC recognized the owner's name on the collar, he had lost the dog three months prior, and had since moved, thus the non-working phone number. We were like :eek: no wonder he was so skinny! Poor thing had traveled about 15-20 miles also.

Those hound breeds are bred to hunt-- unfortunately, they sometimes follow their nose a little too far and end up lost.

We live in a rural area with lots of hunters, and try to do right by any stray doggies that wander onto our farm. We have eight dogs ourselves so I figure it's some kind of doggie karma that will be repaid when/if one of ours gets out. :)

She's a beautiful hound... good luck with her! :)

jetsmom
Jan. 19, 2009, 03:18 PM
Bless you for taking her in. Boiled chicken and rice is easy on their stomachs if she gets diarhea. Canned pumpkin (a couple of tablespoons), (not pie filling...100% pumpkin with no spices ) will also solidify poops.

I'd skip the olive oil for now, as it can cause diarhea.

TKR
Jan. 19, 2009, 03:43 PM
She is no longer having the cow patty stools and is eating more dry food than canned/rice, etc. All of my cats except one at the barn, are inside, so she is not exposed to them with the Advantix and the barn cat keeps her distance. I agree alot of hunting dogs are lost because of their hunting instincts and I have always called if any information is available on an owner. She certainly could have been roaming awhile. Unfortunately around here there are good and bad hunters -- at the end of the season, alot of them are seen out wandering because the hunters didn't want them any longer.
PennyG

BenNevis
Jan. 20, 2009, 04:33 PM
She certainly does look better! Thank you, TKR, for putting in the effort to save her, and find her a good home.

BenNevis

Baroquecoco
Jan. 20, 2009, 07:57 PM
the gods are smiling on you for taking this baby on. I have done really well rehabbing starving hounds with small portions of rice, veggies and ground meat or liver like you are doing....way better quality food than just about any dog food you can buy. around here if you take a dog in that condition to a vet the first thing they want to do is vaccinate them.....idiots! good luck to you and this baby. you are such a good person for doing this.

silver2
Jan. 21, 2009, 02:54 AM
She is doing GREAT!!! The coat my sister brought didn't really fit her well, so I got her a Weatherbeeta that is perfect for her. It's a week today since she appeared and although she is still skinny and bony, she is filling out some and looks better. She is very happy and eating well (Chicken Soup brand stuff + vitamins, etc.). My friend in Fairhope is going to take her and I will probably meet her and her husband Friday for the exchange. I am going to try to have her bathed and toenails clipped this week. I took some photos this AM, so maybe you can see some difference. Oh, we named her "Scarlet" -- she's such a rich red color and the line from Gone With the Wind - "I'll never be hungry again" is what we are hoping for her.

Thanks,
PennyG
Love the happy hound pictures with the tail wagging so hard you can't see it!

TKR
Jan. 21, 2009, 09:48 AM
Scarlet rode around with me yesterday running errands. I wanted to get an idea how she would respond to riding since she has a good distance to travel to her new digs. She was very polite, quite the lady. She sat or laid down in the backseat and was fine to leave when I left her briefly several times. Once we got home and I unloaded feed, she declined to get out and was very happy to stay inside. I finally got her out at the house, so I guess we are good to go!
PennyG

TKR
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:19 PM
So, Scarlet went to the "doggie spa" yesterday for a bath and nail trim -- got a cute camoflage bandana. Today my wonderful sister and I took Scarlet halfway to her new home, meeting my very dear friend Kittie in Greenville. She and Kittie made the rest of the trip to Fairhope with all of her accoutrements and detailed instructions for her care (I'm soo anal!!). She reported that Scarlet arrived safely and was fine, eating, peeing, pooping, checking out things. Her hubby was equally enamored with Scarlet and she is settled in for the night. She will take her to the vet this coming week for a full work-up, vax and spaying. She has made amazing progress with her weight already, so I expect her to have a happy new home and will of course see her. If she can't keep her for any reason, I have an open door policy for her to come back. Here is a picture of Kittie meeting her today and me saying "goodbye for now". I'll miss her but my silly Border Collie is throwing a party!
PennyG

Go Fish
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:35 PM
Wow, this is a feel-good story for sure! Thanks for sharing...you done a good thing! :)

JSwan
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:55 PM
Lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky dog.

Thank you for helping her.

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 26, 2009, 01:09 PM
Glad it had a happy ending, Scarlet's guardian angels led her to you.