PDA

View Full Version : Kune Kune anyone?

ASB Stars
Jan. 10, 2009, 10:56 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Kune Kune pigs? They are from new Zealand, and there is a breeder in CA whom I have emailed- waiting for information. They are just adorable- much more user friendly size than even Potbellys (who can get huge).

Here are some of the black and white ones- the come in other colors- like russet- in combination, as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cARW6jTNYvA

Bluey
Jan. 10, 2009, 11:32 AM
Are you aware of all the controversy the animal rights people are bringing forth over designer pets, from dogs that are too far from what nature intended, to all kinds of odd colored, miniaturized and gigantic pets?
Miniature pet pigs, as I assume you don't want them for food, are part of what these controversies are becoming.

Just more to ponder, if we want to contribute to that kind of animal ownership, which eventually will also be a question with the horses we have and the uses we make of them, like those with odd gaits/sizes/colors, conformation?
Where do we want the lines of what should be acceptable or not drawn?

You may have already had this discussion with yourself and decided to go on with getting that animal.
If not, you may ought to think about this a little more.:yes:

ASB Stars
Jan. 10, 2009, 11:58 AM
Bluey, sometimes a pig is, well, just a pig.

These guys are indigenus to New Zealand, and now being bred here. Just like breeds of dogs, cats, horses....and there are responsible breeders and owners, and then, the other kind.

Not everything needs to stand under the spectre of PETA. Even if you seem to believe that it does.

Ghazzu
Jan. 10, 2009, 12:26 PM
Bluey, sometimes a pig is, well, just a pig.

So you're planning on raising pork, then?

JSwan
Jan. 10, 2009, 12:52 PM
User-friendly as in easier to butcher because they are small? Butchering pigs is a damn mess.

I don't understand your post. I've seen ads for Kune Kune's but I just don't see a market for them in the US. Livestock usually can't be kept as pets due to zoning restrictions, and these guys are really too small to replace the pigs used as meat. I don't know if people still keep pot bellied pigs as pets but I remember they were really popular and then people got rid of them because the HOA fined them, or neighbors complained, etc.

There is some mini-dexter cattle too. I guess the Kune Kune, pot belley and mini cattle might be good for raising just for home use, but that's really not a lot of meat.

I don't know much about those mini-cattle but generally these "small" species come from island nations. They're just naturally small, but they're still used for meat; they're not pets.

If you're getting them for meat production I'd be interested in knowing if you plan to grass raise/finish and if so, if they taste good. Thanks!

ASB Stars
Jan. 10, 2009, 01:07 PM
So you're planning on raising pork, then?

Nope. But I'd have a regular piggie for a pet in a heartbeat if they didn't get so darn big. These guys are raised for pork, apparently, down under. However, I am simply thinking about the prospect of having a pig for a pet- and, as I have no intention of disposing of said piggie prior to the time of their natural demise- I'd like a smaller piggy.

Evalee Hunter
Jan. 10, 2009, 02:24 PM
Bluey, sometimes a pig is, well, just a pig. . . . Not everything needs to stand under the spectre of PETA. Even if you seem to believe that it does.

Considering Bluey's posts, I can't really imagine mentioning her & PETA in the same breath!

Nope. But I'd have a regular piggie for a pet in a heartbeat if they didn't get so darn big. . . .

Anyone who wants a pig for a pet has not been meeting the same pigs I have met!

ASB Stars
Jan. 10, 2009, 04:23 PM
Considering Bluey's posts, I can't really imagine mentioning her & PETA in the same breath!

Anyone who wants a pig for a pet has not been meeting the same pigs I have met!

Evalee...it is my opinion that Bluey seems to believe that we are well on our way to losing all of our rights to own animals, much less do what we would with them...therefore, I am alluding to the idea that she believes PETA is behind every shrub and bush. Do you understand now?

I have no idea what kind of pigs you hang out with. I have been fortunate to meet some lovely, intelligent, clean pigs. If they are living in filth, and acting like...pigs...perhaps it isn't by their own choice?

JSwan
Jan. 10, 2009, 04:45 PM
No question about it - pigs are COOL. Smart, clean, and can be friendly.

But they're pigs and will act like pigs. Which is why so many pot belly pig rescues exist.

If you want one as a pet, that's fine. But they're going to engage in normal pig behavior whether in your home, the yard or the barn. They need a wallow - that is normal pig behavior. They'll create it if they don't find one.

Just because they are small does not mean they will remain babylike. The pig will root and it will root in your yard, your garden and your house. If it wants to eat by God it will eat if it means knocking over your fridge or terrorizing your dogs. It's the way they are made - they can't help it.

Pigs are really strong. They are also pretty agreeable animals. They're just a lot different from dogs and well, they're just different!

Cool if you buy one and it ends up being a perfect yard pig for you. Personally, I think you'll end up wanting to get rid of him just like the pot belly people ended up doing.

ASB Stars
Jan. 10, 2009, 05:11 PM
Apparently, they don't root. I don't know why, but there you have it! I have been around Potbelly pigs, which is why I know I do not want one. You can housebreak a piggie, and still enjoy the fact that they are, well, pig-like!

Here is a link with some interesting information...

http://www.kunekune.co.nz/

JSwan
Jan. 10, 2009, 05:28 PM
That's odd because I thought they did root. (Obviously they can't do as much as a feral hog because they're a lot smaller)

If they root a hog ring will slow them down.

I'm a fan of pigs but they also taste great so I'm probably a big meanie in your book. I'm buying feeder pigs in the spring (to raise and sell for meat)

I saw an ad from a Kune Kune dealer who would not sell them for meat - just for pets. That was weird because it was a farming publication! :lol:

I still worry that we'll be seeing these little fellas at auctions, shelters and in processing facilities eventually.

Good luck with yours.

ASB Stars
Jan. 10, 2009, 08:34 PM
Well, at $1200-1400 a piggy, for pet quality, I don't think that they'll wind up on your table yet. Wait until there are a bunch of breeders in the country. Someone will find a way to mess this up!

nzellie
Jan. 11, 2009, 06:15 AM
they are very popular in New Zealand as pets, in fact more so as pets than for eating!!!

If people rear pigs for eating they usually rear the european type breeds as they produce much leaner and more meat. The Kunekunes tend to run to fat much quicker as well as being so small.

They are also very trainable and easily taught to walk on the lead and learn other tricks. it is better to not have a boar as a pet tho as they can get a bit too bolshy at times.

due to their propensity to put on weight/fat and their short thelwell-like legs they can have an increased risk of arthritis.

And, yes, due to them being more of a grazing pig compared to most others they are less likely to dig up the paddock, however there are still individuals that will enjoy rooting up a lawn ;-)