PDA

View Full Version : Get out and stay out!

Brockstables
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:35 PM
Went to the barn this morning to find a horse standing in aisle, brushes and supplements, and anything else off the shelves spread out like someone had ransacked the place. And his stall door shut and locked.
When I had gotten him out of the barn and his mess cleaned up I went to investigate.
His door swings open, and when I opened it and went into his stall my Arab reached over and slammed the door shut behind me from his stall and the latch flipped down. Apparently, the Morgan popped his latch and escaped, and while he was out the Arab shut the door on him and locked it, leaving him stuck in the aisle.
Morgan had a wonderful time with his one-horse party, and had his nose in everything! He even had the muck buckets and rakes out playing with them...:)

Woodland
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:39 PM
:lol:We have an Arabian gelding in the barn with a multitude of clever latches on his stall door. We have Dutch doors and after he lets himself out he will meander through the barn letting all his buddies go too :lol:

Not one other horse is as smart as he is! He is the smartest horse I have ever met! Right now the ONLY latch he can not undo is the one at the bottom of the door - just out of his reach!

IsolaBella09
Jan. 10, 2009, 01:01 AM
The worst is when they unlock the barn doors and go galloping down the road. And then having the police call and ask if the massive white animal belongs to your farm.:rolleyes::lol:

manyspots
Jan. 10, 2009, 09:01 AM
Laughing!!!! This was a fantastic visual... and I feel your pain. I owned an Appy that also knew how to unlock his dutch doors and do the same thing. Occasionally he would be in the field, other times the hallway. The only way we kept him in was by screwing a screw eye into the hole where the latch handle was do you could spin it to secure the handle down. Then we attached a double end snap to the screw eye. We had the spring loaded slide latches...

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 10, 2009, 09:56 AM
My appy is also an escape artist! He can undo his door, his girlfriends door, and I've found him licking the regular doorknob to the feed room and I'm starting to worry!!!
He also has figured out how to undo the chest bar pin in the trailer. Twice on a trip I found him with his chest bar down and the pin back in place!!! The first time I was mortified that I had forgotten to check it and make sure it was up and the second time I figured out it was him!!! Goober.

goodhors
Jan. 10, 2009, 10:25 AM
He also has figured out how to undo the chest bar pin in the trailer. Twice on a trip I found him with his chest bar down and the pin back in place!!! The first time I was mortified that I had forgotten to check it and make sure it was up and the second time I figured out it was him!!! Goober.

You can pull out the holding pins, drill a hole thru, under the place where it slides thru the chest bar holder, put a small key pin thru hole. Key pin is like a metal hairpin, used on farm stuff, large to small sizes. Perhaps a piece of tape around it to prevent his pulling the key pin out as well, cover an sharp ends. Cotter pin will work but then YOU can't open the bar without tools.

Sure glad my horses are not this ambitious!

Over the Hill
Jan. 10, 2009, 11:12 AM
:lol::lol::lol: Had this happen to me as well, then I added a bottom door latch as well. It has solved my problem.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 10, 2009, 11:34 AM
Hm. Note to self: check for accomplices in the blonde's adventures... :uhoh:

:lol:

Indy
Jan. 10, 2009, 11:42 AM
I had a pony who was very good at getting out of his stall. The first time I know of that he did it was the night after his best friend left the barn...the next morning, pony was found down the aisle in his buddy's empty stall.

We moved barns a while later and he became a regular escape artist. The BM would often find him grazing behind the barn when she came in in the mornings. One time, she didn't notice he was out until she saw his spotted pony butt trotting down the driveway to the rather busy road...and he proceeded to take a trip down the shoulder of the road until a kind passer-by caught the little devil. He got more latches on his stall after that little adventure...

NancyM
Jan. 10, 2009, 11:50 AM
I have a friend who had an anglo arab mare who was an escape artist. She put a padlock on the stall door, AND HID THE KEY on a high shelf. I accused her of "overkill". She pointed out that the mare was not escaping any more. (Stall had an attached paddock so no fire risk to the padlock). Low latches at foot level work adequately to allieviate this problem.

MistyBlue
Jan. 10, 2009, 12:35 PM
LMAO...wanna bet that Arab was making d*mn sure the Morgan got caught being outside his stall?
My first horse was a wise-arse appy mare. Not only did she get loose no matter what latch we devised...she also spent her time loose to open other stalls. Not that she wanted company, she was an anti-social critter...she opened the other stall doors so she could go in that stall, scare the bejeeses out of the horse in there by chasing it out and then eating it's food. When she'd finish the hay in that stall, she'd go on to the next one. When we found latches that worked, she'd back up to the door and double barrel it off the hinges. :eek:
Gotta love those wise-arse escape artists!

murphyluv
Jan. 10, 2009, 07:25 PM
LOL!! Notice how these are mostly arabs and apps?!?! I have an arab/app!!! I didn't realize he had arab in him until AFTER I bought him. He likes to run under electric tape fencing (and I do mean at a fast pace), and usually gallops back before I can catch him and beat his butt. Also has escaped off of another property. Also likes to untie himself. I have not yet had him in a dutch door stall situation- and am glad too!!

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 10, 2009, 07:39 PM
ha ha!! Awesome...

goodhors that's exactly what I did :) Worked too :) Atleast so far. In his defense it was a 15 hour haul so he got bored!!! Maybe he needs a dvd player back there ;)

manyspots
Jan. 11, 2009, 09:04 AM
Love love love my appys. I will never be bored! Agreed?

TikiSoo
Jan. 11, 2009, 10:01 AM
Yes, I miss my Appy girl, but thankfully I board at an Appy breeders for my spot fix.

I stupidly taught my appy pony how to lift the lid of the grain bin. It was easy and how cute! Right.

The BO started reprimanding me for not closing her stall door latch, she'd find her fat white butt in the aisle occasionally, sometimes decorated with poop.
Then it became a mystery as it would happen days I wasn't even there!

One morning she was out early and caught the goat mouthing the latch to my pony's stall door. He successfully slid it over and down, emancipating the pony who went DIRECTLY to the grain bin, opening it for morning treats!

The goat never opened any other horse's stall, he was no dummy who had control over the grain bin!

And who doesn't know an escape artist that can lie down and roll under a fence? I knew one who would roll back into his pasture if caught!

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 11, 2009, 04:26 PM
I present to you Exhibit A (http://picasaweb.google.com/siobhan.delancey/UntitledAlbum#5155367674772719138).

Please note, in addition to the red towel hanging around Stanley's ear, that the white laundry basket, as well as all of the dirty saddle pads, are now in the muddy paddock.

Ahem.

duecavalle
Jan. 11, 2009, 10:39 PM
A few weeks ago I went out to the barn to do late night check. I noticed that my cupola light was on, as well as a few others inside my barn. As I walked, I thought to myself "gee, I don't remember leaving all those lights on?"... I slid the barn door open and there in all her glory was Basil. (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/DueCavalle/Equichat/BasilXmas1.jpg) She was standing in a pile of hay bales that she'd dragged into the aisle from the closed and locked hay stall. Not only had she turned on all the lights, she'd sampled TEN bales of hay, knocked over and stomped on my cordless phone, destroyed the cabinet where I store cookies, brushes, etc. and ate through a container of Mrs. Pastures Cookies for Horses. But here's the thing about Basil. She KNOWS when she's been naughty. Before I could scream "BASIL, WHAT THE @#$%!" she'd done an abrupt 180, flew through her stall and into her run-out paddock where she stood with her halo. She was SO busted and she knew it!

I have the screw-eye in the latch combo, but it must be secured with a carabiner clip, anything else she can open. She pops double ended snaps like it's her job. Every once in a great while, her giant lips maneuver the carabiner clip in just the right way and she's free. There is no limit the amount of destruction her 17+ hand frame can wreak in my barn. She keeps life interesting, that's for sure!

EventFan
Jan. 11, 2009, 10:44 PM
that my horse isn't the only bad boy around! He likes to turn all the lights off and on when he escapes. Well obvoiusly he needs the lights turned on to be better able to see any speck of grain/hay left on the barn isle. :eek:

2DogsFarm
Jan. 12, 2009, 12:57 AM
Not just Arabs & Apps :no:

My DHs TWH was the only one with a padlock on his Dutch Door. He also used to liberate friends when he went strolling - once it was trainer's 3 young stallions from their paddock. Next day he had the padlock...

My present TWH can operate the lever handle to the barn's service door so I have to keep it locked. The day he learns to turn the key I am retiring from having horses.

chestnutmarebeware
Jan. 12, 2009, 01:57 PM
We had a pony-size mule who could jump over his dutch door from a standstill. Tried a floor-to-ceiling chain-link stall door like they use at racetracks, only to have him rip it off the hinges and bend it nearly in half the first night. Once out in the aisle, he would knock down all the hay bales, rip the twine off and make himself a lovely, fluffy hay bed. He'd spend the night lying down on the hay and eating himself silly, then poop all over whatever was left. :lol:

oldenmare
Jan. 12, 2009, 02:10 PM
Growing up, I had a wonderhorse QH that was famous for letting himself and his buddies out ..... and he would leave the one horse in that he didn't like - he would undo her latch, but not slide the door open for her.... guess that was his way of getting even for what a witch she was out in the field (and yes, she started it. She ALWAYS started it!).

Anyway, when I started doing the State 4H shows with him, we had to request an enclosed barn each year and regardless of what we tied, chained, etc - the stall door with, we would find him the next morning wandering the aisleways making new friends..... pain the arse! but hysterically funny, too!

BigHorseLittleHorse
Jan. 12, 2009, 02:16 PM
My first pony lived in a makeshift stall for a while... they made a stall by putting up fence rails across one end of the barn. Three rails, about a foot apart, bottom rail maybe 2 feet off the ground. She kept getting out, but the rails were still in place, so we put another one on top. She still got out. One day, I caught her in the act - she lay down on her side and used her legs to scoot herself UNDER the bottom rail. Pony was moved to a stall with a sliding door the next day :)

Unfforgettable
Jan. 12, 2009, 02:37 PM
When my now six year old Arab was a yearling, I kept him in a round pen (the metal panel kind) while I was building fence. It took him less than an hour to learn to work the gate latch. No problem...I'll just chain it shut. Two days later, he had learned how to pull the pins holding the panels together. Sigh. OK, I'll wire all the panels together. A week later, he was out again. Checked the pen...all was secure. ??? Put him back in, and hid and watched. He would lay down on his side, stick his head and neck under the center of a panel, shimmy under until he could lift it with his shoulder, and wiggle the rest of the way out. Sneaky little devil.

Hot wire solved the problem.

Quin
Jan. 12, 2009, 09:59 PM
Very envious of y'all whose horses get out and hang around in your barn aisle or your back yard taunting everyone. The winter our horses kept getting out, half a mile away was the CLOSEST to home that we ever caught them.

Young grade pinto. Quarter-type? Draft cross? Your guess is as good as mine. But very clever with his lips. He is the reason why the hay/tool aisle gate and all gates leading outside the pastures are padlocked. We got all the locks keyed to the same key and copies of the key hang everywhere to minimze the safety risk (and the horses are not stalled, anyhow). But a padlock is the only thing he can't open.

Yet.

piaffequeen
Jan. 12, 2009, 10:07 PM
The worst is when they unlock the barn doors and go galloping down the road. And then having the police call and ask if the massive white animal belongs to your farm.:rolleyes::lol:

Oh God-that sounds like what happened to my friend! She boards a few horses and one of her arabs learned how to open the gate-so all the horses (total of 5) started walking down the road. 3 arabs, a QH and a huge Friesan! Well sure enough the police came along with the Animal Control-the arabs and QH were quickly caught but they were afraid of the Friesan (who can be intimidating but is very gentle)

Fortunatley-one of her lesson students father was driving along and saw what was happening and knew where they belonged. My friend pulled up a few minutes later and knew who the culprit was!:lol:

TikiSoo
Jan. 13, 2009, 08:43 AM
Very envious of y'all whose horses get out and hang around in your barn aisle or your back yard taunting everyone. The winter our horses kept getting out, half a mile away was the CLOSEST to home that we ever caught them.

Well, I didn't tell the story of the Easter Sunday I awoke to find my two horses gone from my farm. Our property butted up to a golf course and OF COURSE that's where the horses were grazing to the horror of the early morning golfers! Luckily, the owner of the GC was a teacher and my husband was pres of the teacher's assn, so they were good friends. Forgiven.

Sport
Jan. 13, 2009, 02:24 PM
We had this fabulous little palomino pony that could open all latches and untie knots with no problem.
He would get out and then let everyone else out. When he figured it was getting close to the time the humans should reappear he would lock himself back into his stall. (Caught him at it once) Then he would stand there all innocent.

We have another one, that has extra latches on his door to keep him from escaping. If he is moved to another stall even briefly he will stand there sliding the bolt back and forth just to show you that he can.

manentail
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:48 AM
My arabian gelding could undo any latch that was put on his door, undo his leadrope if you tied him, get off the x-ties, turn the lights on and off, and undo paddock gates.

The owner of the stable came out with a shotgun one night cause he thought someone was in the barn snooping around when the arab was playing with the lights.

I don't know how he did it but one time he got out and a careless boarder had left a 50 gallon barrel of grain out (oats corn mix) and he ate about 1/3 of the drum and didn't collic!!!:eek::eek:
Needless to say that boarder no longer stays there.

Arcadien
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:15 AM
My escape artist Koki also enjoys light switches. Before I figured out what was happening I kept berating myself for leaving the barn lights on at night.

Then one evening I was looking out the window & saw the lights switching on, off, on, off.

"Who the h*ll is in my barn at this hour?!", ran out, caught him with his neck extended ready to play lights on, lights off again.

The other horses were all gazing at him in awe, "Wow, can you do it again Koki? Cooool...."

Everything in my barn now has to be beyond "horse proof", it must also be made "Koki-proof" :D

EightBelles134
Sep. 27, 2010, 09:23 AM
I used to ride Morab mare who was FAMOUS for crawling under her stall guard and getting loose(which was a problem at the time,because the barn I'm at only had stall guards on the stalls and not doors)As soon as you turned your back on her she'd be half way under the stall guard and by the time you went to shoo her back into her stall it was too late-she was loose.The minute our new shed rows went up she went into a stall w/a door that had both bottom and top latches

baysngreys
Sep. 27, 2010, 12:06 PM
Chance could open any stall door. If I closed the stall gate, he'd pound on the metal edge with his hoof like it was a hammer. Finally I gave up, left his stall door open and put gates across each end of the barn.
He never messed with anything, not the lights, blankets, grooming stuff. Just wanted to visit his friends and yell at the house if I was late.
At 30 you get those kind of privileges;)

leilatigress
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:57 PM
Pal Princess was escape artist plus. I swear her lips could untie any knot and undo any lock. Containing her was always an issue to the point we gave up most nights. She never played with the light but she would turn my dad's mare loose and they would play in the yard. When we took her to shows we had to padlock her into her stall since she not only knew how to slide the doors open but wasn't opposed to applying ample leg force to open it either. I kept a bell on her halter and a red bow on her butt at the shows because of her wicked temperament as well.
Funniest escape artist has to be DD's riding pony. He will climb under the board fence if she is in the arena on another horse and totally disrupt the lesson. Only child he does that for evidently though he will let everyone out of their stalls on occasion as well.

MyGiantPony
Sep. 27, 2010, 05:00 PM
A friend of mine had an Appy who could get out of anything...and he was quite the Romeo.

He'd let himself out of his stall, then go let out all the girls.

And when he'd get turned out with the boy - he'd jump out, then go jump in with the girls, graze all day, then when it came time to go in for dinner, he'd jump out, go back to the boys' field, and pretend like he'd been right where he was supposed to be all day.:lol:

Janet
Sep. 27, 2010, 05:09 PM
My escape artist is Anglo x Irish x French

Phaxxton
Sep. 27, 2010, 06:00 PM
My Standardbred can open almost anything except double end snaps. His great escape achievement was actually letting himself INTO the barn. He was boarded at a barn where his paddock was attached to the barn. The barn had huge sliding doors that opened into the aisle. He backed up the doors and used his butt to slide them open. :lol:

Okay, it wasn't funny when he also let himself into the feed room, but we did ultimately find a way to lock the doors so he couldn't use his giant behind to shimmy them open.

farmgirl598
Sep. 30, 2010, 03:45 PM
manyspots: We had to do the exact same thing to our dutch stall doors, as my appy, "Dusty" would let himself out, and then go let all the other horses out. They are rarely stalled, but when we put them in for a while, we assume they are going to STAY in! He's a smart horse, and VERY funny. Nobody told him he had his 26th birthday this month. He is forver into some sort of humorous mischief! He even stuck his head into my open truck window one day being nosy. Scared himself silly when he accidentally blew the horn! LOL!

threedogpack
Sep. 30, 2010, 05:46 PM
these stories are hysterical. What special special (as in one of a kind, not speshul) horses and wonderful memories.

Drive NJ
Sep. 30, 2010, 10:08 PM
Friend had a driving Morgan and was one of the first US Single Drivers invited to compete at Windsor Harrods CDE.

Because he arrived early to recover from the flight. He was put up in the Royal Mews. Yup got out most nights and went exploring Nice guest huh?

Long Spot
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:03 AM
Well, I didn't tell the story of the Easter Sunday I awoke to find my two horses gone from my farm. Our property butted up to a golf course and OF COURSE that's where the horses were grazing to the horror of the early morning golfers! Luckily, the owner of the GC was a teacher and my husband was pres of the teacher's assn, so they were good friends. Forgiven.

I've always considered golf courses to be wasted space for great riding. I guess your horses thought the same thing, only "eating". Hope they stayed in the rough! :lol:

beautifuldreamer
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:28 AM
I know 10-12 horses that, at night, while turned-out in their field, would go thru a break in the fence line and take a short walk to a corn field.

Boogers had their fill of corn and would get their big fanny's back into their turn-out field by the time the BO showed-up for am feed. BO could not understand why the horses were gaining weight but eating less grain! The mystery was solved, when one morning, one of his draft horse was standing in the BO's parking lot. The barn owner walked the fence line, discovered the hole, followed the beaten-down grass, and found the horses private stash!:lol:

EightBelles134
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:45 AM
My former teacher has a pony who made the police logs one day because he'd escaped from his pasture and decided to play follow the police cruiser.Said the police later showed up back at her house with guilty pony in tow asking if he was hers.Said pony also escaped on another day and helped himself to free grain earning himself a trip to New Bolton Center.She told us that the stories about him are endless

HPFarmette
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:52 PM
My mare got out of the stall, dragged a bale of hay into the stall, and shut her door. As if I wouldn't notice an entire bale of hay.....

redhorse5
Oct. 7, 2010, 07:19 AM
My over 18 HH Holsteiner got out so many times in Wellington that they expelled him from the showgrounds. He learned how to disassemble the canvas stalling. He is still a huge problem at home because he can jump out of any paddock when he decides to but he usually tears down fence rails first. Last week he was upset because another horse was taken into the barn first and when my husband went out to get him he was standing on the second from the bottom rung of the metal gate, just bending it to the ground. He loves tearing down gates anyway. He just starts by leaning against it and if it moves at all he is encouraged to just walk it off the hinges.

My grey jumper who hated a bath got out and took down all the blue shampoo and stomped the bottles empty in the wash rack. One night he got out and took all the halters off their hooks in front of the stalls and put them in a pile in the indoor.

manentail
Oct. 7, 2010, 07:43 AM
I have a friend who owns an 18.1hh percheron the just goes through any stall door and fence, breaks them right in half, it takes him no effort at all.

He's so cute when he gets caught out too, he'll get this guilty look and trot away with his head down hoping you won't notice his big butt.

My friend eventually gave up and just let him wander the property like a dog. The horse eventually made his way onto friends front porch on the house wanting in.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Oct. 7, 2010, 08:16 AM
While I understand this thread was written in good humor, I'd like to gently remind everyone that it doesn't always end so "cute" when the police are calling you in the middle of the night to come get your horse.

My dear French Fry, a card carrying escape artist in his day, managed to get out of his field on labor day weekend. He headed for the road, was hit by a car, and the responding officers took it upon themselves to "do the deed" at the scene. Despite the tragic outcome of that situation, I am immensely lucky that the driver of the car was not injured (car was totaled), and that my family carries appropriate liability insurance as farm owners. We will be dealing with the insurance company for the next several month, without a doubt, which makes it extremely difficult to grieve in a healthy way.

He was known for letting himself out, then springing all of his friends. On several occasions, we had to go collect him from the neighbors, or any number of county employees. It was always funny, and we always rolled our eyes and said "Ohhhh, French Fry!". Until it wasn't funny, and we can't forgive ourselves for not making him safer, or thinking that our lack of discretion in light of his "talents" could have resulted in someone getting hurt badly or dying.

So please take my experience as a gentle reminder to check your enclosures. Particularly if you've got a Houdini. In the end, there's always a way (even if it's inconvenient for us people) to keep them safely confined. I don't wish any of what I've suffered through in the last month on anyone else- not my worst enemy.