PDA

View Full Version : Hate to say it, but what is DOVER SADDLERY thinking?

purplnurpl
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:15 AM
I just placed an order with Dover. Saw the total and rethought the decision before I clicked, 'place order'.

Went to Stateline Tack and the order total was $119.00.
The same bit was $8 cheaper and there was no shipping.

The exact order through Dover was $143.80.
Way to keep with the competition Dover!

Just a warning. If your needing to place an order shop around.
Or come to me and I can give you a Legacy Tack coupon because they are one of my sponsors!! Yey legacytack.com.
(They didn't have the manly helmet I needed to buy for my Step dad. Cross your fingers that me placing it in his hands will magically make him wear it!)

EventFan
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:22 AM
Dover charges outrageous shipping fees! And their "sale" prices are really funny, as in this example: Retail $100 Our Price $99.90....how many times have I laughed at that kind of DEAL!

They also have different prices per catalog and online (I questioned this once on my bill and the sales rep confirmed it). So, if you have a catalog that lists one item on sale, but order it on the website with another item number, it may not be the same price. I'm not okay with that customer service at all.

theoldgreymare
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:28 AM
I just ordered a small order from Dover and priced the same items at Smartpak before purchasing. The boots were $60 at Dover and $110 at Smartpak. Despite their astronomical shipping, Dover won hands down. I always do comparison shopping before I buy.

Ambrey
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:30 AM
Dover's online business model sucks. However, I did just order some stuff from them, and it shipped really quickly- and it was a good price, even the shipping wasn't exorbitant ($10 I think for three lightweight sheets).

They could have so much more business if they read this board, LOL!

I also just ordered 2x fly sheets from SLT. And a bunch of stuff from Horseloverz. The dover stuff has shipped already, no guess when I'll get the stuff from the other two- that's one major difference (although usually SLT isn't too slow, Horseloverz is agonizing).

eta: TOGM has an excellent post- different sites have better prices on different items. I always comparison shop. That's why I have placed orders with 3 sites in the last 2 days!

kellyb
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:36 AM
Dover charges outrageous shipping fees! And their "sale" prices are really funny, as in this example: Retail $100 Our Price $99.90....how many times have I laughed at that kind of DEAL!

They also have different prices per catalog and online (I questioned this once on my bill and the sales rep confirmed it). So, if you have a catalog that lists one item on sale, but order it on the website with another item number, it may not be the same price. I'm not okay with that customer service at all.

Yeah, the sales catalogs are confusing. You get this catalog with SALE SALE SALE written all over it. The only two prices listed are retail and sale, they don't list the price they normally sell it for. Well sure the difference between retail and sale price looks great, but then you look in their catalog and the sale and list price are only like a $5 difference :confused:

FindersKeepers
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:41 AM
I have ordered from Dover a lot over the years, and was always satisfied, but recently... something's going on over there.

My mom ordered me a pair of half chaps for Christmas. She placed the order the first week of November. They were off the shelf ariats...nothing custom or special. She got a confirmation that they were in stock and would ship. Know when she got them? DECEMBER 23!!! Everytime she called, no one knew what was going on, or where they were. They'd give her the tracking number and she found they were delivered to some address in California?? They sent them again, they traveled for 3 weeks in a truck all over the US before being delivered to her.

And then to top it off, they are mis-marked and I had to send them back. Who knows how long it will be before I finally get my stinkin half chaps...

equest
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:50 AM
I have not bought a thing from them in ages. I too have a good chuckle at their catalog listings of "retail price" (inflated) versus "Dover price" (still inflated and invariably higher than SLT and SmartPak). Their catalog is a loffly coffee table piece, however. :)

Perhaps, once in a blue moon, I may find something I want on their clearance pages, but then I will go to buy it and it won't be available in my size.

Their business model is antiquated in this day and age of free shipping, so I am amazed they are still alive...

trubandloki
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:56 AM
I just ordered a small order from Dover and priced the same items at Smartpak before purchasing. The boots were $60 at Dover and $110 at Smartpak. Despite their astronomical shipping, Dover won hands down. I always do comparison shopping before I buy.

I guess I have been lucky. I price shop when I order online and I have found most of Smartpak's prices to be in line with other places. Somethings are actually cheaper because they do not charge freight and such.

Calhoun
Jan. 9, 2009, 12:19 PM
I have always been curious about business models which involve large catalog or online horse retail. I read the Wall Street Journal everyday and since Christmas (even before) it's been all doom and gloom in retail. Even with all the big discounts given before and after Christmas, retailers except Wal-Mart and Family Dollar are losing money. I looked at the Dover sale catalog and there was nothing that made me grab my wallet. Same for Smartpaks, I looked at the BIG clearance a few weeks ago and it was all fluff and last year's junk that did not sell. Why don't they discount like major retailers? ALL saddles and bridles 30% off . . . ALL winter blankets 50% off, ALL breeches 40% and winter breeches 50% etc, etc. Why is it always items which are considered overstock or discontinued? VTO Saddlery's after Christmas sale was the only purchases I made and it was free shipping over $100 (how about that Dover?)

Secondly, I've never understood pricing of items in Europe and pricing here in the States. Why are most things so much more expensive here? I know a lot has to do with the euro and shipping, but a few years ago when the euro was around 1.25-1.28, I did all my shopping online in Germany. Even with shipping, the items were so much cheaper.

Maybe someone who knows the business can enlighten me.

merrygoround
Jan. 9, 2009, 12:25 PM
I will second the difference between online, and catalog at Dover. I have always found their customer service good. but I too agree that it is bad business to have different prices for the same product.

Makes them seem kinda stoopid ;)

Ambrey
Jan. 9, 2009, 12:35 PM
Secondly, I've never understood pricing of items in Europe and pricing here in the States. Why are most things so much more expensive here? I know a lot has to do with the euro and shipping, but a few years ago when the euro was around 1.25-1.28, I did all my shopping online in Germany. Even with shipping, the items were so much cheaper.

Maybe someone who knows the business can enlighten me.

Because the companies that buy the items from Germany pay duties (import taxes) when they bring them over. Technically we should too, but it's often overlooked.

Imported items are supposed to cost more than domestic items, to encourage us to buy domestic.

EventFan
Jan. 9, 2009, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I used to order from Dover often; now it's seldom. Sometimes you find a smokin good deal on Joules (which my daughters love), but then again their shipping fees make it such a pain.

I also had an issue with their shipping policy this fall. I ordered something in stock, nothing custom, and it took them 10 days to even ship it out. I called and asked, emailed, and basically got the run around. I finally told them it was not acceptable, and there are way too many other catalog companies for them to treat customers this way. They did refund my shipping, but it ruined my already tainted view.

Shopping around is the only way to go.

2bee
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:11 PM
Dont know the specifics of your order, but I would glady pay extra to Dover just so I would not have to f$$$ with Stateline Tack.

TackShopGal
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:16 PM
Their business model is antiquated in this day and age of free shipping, so I am amazed they are still alive...

If you follow their stock market reports, I don't see how they can continue at the rate they are going.

Ambrey
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:17 PM
Are they doing badly? I didn't realize they were publicly traded.

Calhoun
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks Ambrey, you're right, import duties do add to the cost. I think your second answer is more on target. The feeling of luxury goods. Maybe we should fire off a question to Waterford Crystal on luxury retail strategies, now that they have filed for bankruptcy or ask Abercrombie & Fitch about their holiday sales which were down 30% over last year . . . they decided offering discounts would tarnish their image. Hmmmm....

2horseowner
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:23 PM
out of curiosity, has anyone ever sent any threads to Dover about their RIDICULOUS shipping fees. Even w/ theier "best ever sale," their prices were still higher than other places. What you may save in "sale" prices is always eaten up w/ shipping. Supposedly their head honcho is always open to ideas. I can't believe they don't check out thier competitors, but they may not care at all. Shipping time can be extemely hit or miss, as far as getting the item. I'll just keep shopping for better deals until they make changes.:no:

luvs2ridewbs
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:27 PM
the owners of Dover made millions when they released it for public trading.

joiedevie99
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:41 PM
I used to order from Dover monthly- and this year I ordered once. I am considering it again because they have a saddle I want to try that no one else has, but I won't deal with it otherwise.

This year I mostly ordered from VTO and Horseloverz/Equiteric. I've also been on ebay more than in past years. My new horses bridle just came from EquusNow and I was very happy with their customer service as well.

CB/TB
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:45 PM
Dover is opening a store in RI in Feb. I won't stop supporting my local stores, but there may be some things I usually buy online that I can actually see before I shell out teh cash. I did notice that ( one example) they are selling Quiessence for $64 vs Smartpak $77 in their newest sale catalog. .

DMK
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:49 PM
the owners of Dover made millions when they released it for public trading.

As did many the owner of a now defunct IPO or currently successful IPO. That's just how it goes.

I've not been a big fan of Dover or SLT in years (at least 10 for SLT and probably almost as long for Dover), long before their current iterations. There's just not much I want to buy in those catalogs based on the historical price/quality match up. OK, that and if it is something that is sized like a helmet, I want to try it on. And if the color is important (like ratcatchers and jackets) I won't trust it to an online source so those items are "buy in person" purchases. As for leather. Safe to say neither of them carry the stuff i want and I won't try a new brand unless I can feel the quality of the leather.

But for stable supplies and other items (the bulk of my purchases), I just think between Schneiders, Jeffers and Valley Vet, they have it hands down over the other two for price, services, shipping and selection.

vxf111
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:56 PM
I think every online catalog/website is going for a particular niche. Smartpak is going for the "ship cheap with your supplements" and "excellent customer service" niche. Stateline seems to cater to the lower priced partially Western crowd. Etc.

I have always assumed Dover got by purely by being the biggest and having the best, most comprehensive selection. No matter if it was more expensive or the shipping was nuts, they figured the customer would buy because the customer wanted one stop shopping and wanted to get everything all from one place. I remember when you COULDN'T really get EVERYTHING all from one catalog. Some catalogs had the supplements/feed. Some had clothes but not much in the way of supplements/feed etc. Dover was the exception. Dover was "The Source." Dover carried every product, every manufacturer-- at least all the popular ones.

I suspect that "model" is fading away as more and more competitors enter the marketplace and as people become more adept at comparison shopping/bargain shopping. It used to be useful that you could get supplements, a show coat, saddle soap, a pitchfork, and notecards all from Dover-- but now you can either shop from 3-4 different places, all with free shipping, or do one-stop shopping with another company.

I think Dover is going to have to change the model soon or else they're going to find themselves losing customers.

Mendin Fences
Jan. 9, 2009, 02:22 PM
I always use the code "TENOFF" with Dover which makes up for most of the shipping expenses. I don't know how much you have to spend to be able to use it, but I know I've done it several times. I think you might have to check out as a guest for it to work every time though.

Ponyclubrocks
Jan. 9, 2009, 03:00 PM
Smartpak is going for the "ship cheap with your supplements" and "excellent customer service" niche.

There was a time that I would have agreed with this but not since my last interaction with smart pak. I place an order based on what was in the picture. Turns out the picture was wrong. After the shipment came and I did not receive what I had wanted I went back and double checked the item on line. Sure enough, the text under the picture matched what was shipped to me, but what I wanted was what was pictured, not what was in the text. Had I read the text I would not have placed the order, so I was wrong to not read the fine print. However when I called smartpak to inquire why the picture did not match the text (and oh by the way what I wanted was what was pictured) what they eventually came up with oh, sorry the picture was an error. No offer to rectify the order or make good the problem. I will give them credit for calling me back but I was not happy with their response. IMO "excellent customer service" would have been them saying something to the effect of "Sorry it was our error, we will send you the item as pictured" or an offer to make an exchange without shipping costs. I was not impressed. I have decided to make more of an effort to support my local "live and in person" tack shops.

gabz
Jan. 9, 2009, 03:27 PM
Imported items are supposed to cost more than domestic items, to encourage us to buy domestic.

:D :lol: :winkgrin: :lol: Uh, only when it's Europe-US.... NOT when it's Pacific Rim-US ... or should I say CHINA-US.

As others have noted, where IS the US made stuff? lead ropes, halters, buckets, brushes, blankets, etc. not made in the US...

pattnic
Jan. 9, 2009, 03:41 PM
It's only on sale at Dover if "SALE" or "SALE PRICE" is printed next to the price. They have always thrown non-sale items into their catalog in hopes that people won't realize it's not a sale item.

If it doesn't say SALE for that particular item, it's not.

joiedevie99
Jan. 9, 2009, 04:03 PM
That is definitely true. I avoid reading the sale flyer entirely for that reason- and only look at those regular paper pages with coupons on them (including scratch and dent saddles). I figure if there is a good deal- thats probably where it is.

Mendin Fences
Jan. 9, 2009, 05:16 PM
:D :lol: :winkgrin: :lol: Uh, only when it's Europe-US.... NOT when it's Pacific Rim-US ... or should I say CHINA-US.

As others have noted, where IS the US made stuff? lead ropes, halters, buckets, brushes, blankets, etc. not made in the US...

The Amish sell excellent quality halters, lead ropes, tack, etc. It's pretty cheap too! That counts as US made, right? :)

Lambie Boat
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:14 PM
Kentucky made halters at my farm only. From Quillans. NICE!

Shopping with Dover is like a full time job :yes: I can't stand feeling like if I'm not ever-vigilant with the price structure, on-line vs catalog vs sale catalog, that I'll end up paying too much. Add the outrageous shipping charges and I'm just not a fan. And I used to buy lots of stuff from Dover.

Times have changed. Dover needs to realize that horse people are feeling the $ pinch too, and every dollar counts to us too.....I will not be surprised if quite a few tack and supply companies hit the skids this year

Pat
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:26 PM
All this crap makes me feel especially blessed. Blessed that I have several tack stores within reasonable driving distance, including Dover and Beval's. I get all those catalogs but I can't remember the last time I actually ordered something and having it *shipped*.

fleur de duc
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:31 PM
well I recently posted about my VERY less than exceptional dover experience. thankfully I have my saddle now, but must say I will avoid ordering from them again at all costs. especially now with some "responses" I have gotten from ppl involved. not very professional IMO or enjoyable to deal with. I just want to return my girth now and be totally done with it all.

doesnt surprise me that it turned out to be more there. unless you hit the good sales (which I must admit, sometimes you can find good deals on a few items), go elsewhere. I just wish we had more local type tack shops around me that carried the inventory to have what I need:(

Beezer
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:43 PM
Said it before, I'll say it again: When it comes to Dover, you'll get much, much better prices on supplements, barn and stable equipment, blankets -- basically anything that isn't specifically for H/J, dressage, eventing -- if you use their western catalog: Smith Brothers.

I'm talking often HUGE differences in price, and you often get "add-ons" -- i.e., buy a gallon of joint fluid (for $20 to $30 cheaper than in the Dover catalog) and get a free quart.

The only way to explain it -- since the catalogs and products share the same flipping warehouse -- is that, once again, we "English people" are expected to simply bend over and take it.

War Admiral
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:52 PM
All this crap makes me feel especially blessed. Blessed that I have several tack stores within reasonable driving distance, including Dover and Beval's. I get all those catalogs but I can't remember the last time I actually ordered something and having it *shipped*.

You're so lucky... sigh... The nearest decent tack shops to here are well over 100 miles away (unless you count TSC, which isn't really a tack shop). I pretty much have to have *everything* shipped, and have learned the hard way to buy in bulk.

I don't miss the traffic and the high cost of living down around the ATL, but I do miss the tack shops!

RenaissanceMare
Jan. 9, 2009, 09:09 PM
They could have so much more business if they read this board, LOL!

The people at Dover aren't as stoooopid as you think :cool:

Sarabeth
Jan. 9, 2009, 10:29 PM
Said it before, I'll say it again: When it comes to Dover, you'll get much, much better prices on supplements, barn and stable equipment, blankets -- basically anything that isn't specifically for H/J, dressage, eventing -- if you use their western catalog: Smith Brothers.Whoa, Smith Brothers = Dover? :eek:

Lambie Boat
Jan. 10, 2009, 08:32 AM
that might be the singularly most helpful piece of advice and a little known fact that I've ever read on any horseboard! yes, it is true that stuff in western catalogs cost much less than english. As if the blanket or other stuff knows the difference!

NOT COOL!

fleur de duc
Jan. 10, 2009, 09:53 AM
The people at Dover aren't as stoooopid as you think :cool:

Yes. Apparently they are. Although some ppl there can use a computer and find things here on COTH, they don't have the smarts to NOT proceed to tell their other customers about their unhappy clients and even go as far as call said client crazy. Yeah pretty dumb there Dover! That's the way to keep/gain clients! Try some professionalism next time when you run a store.

So hi Dover!

Jennifer Alcott
Jan. 10, 2009, 10:38 AM
What I LOOOOOVE (not!) about the Dover store in Chantilly is that if you look at prices on the larger, heavier items, you'll see the price for the item, AND the price for the shipping--which you then have to pay if you buy it in the store!!!

I mean...COME ON! I understand that shipping an individual item that is large or heavy to a residence/farm is expensive via UPS/USPS/DHL/Fed Ex. But when Dover sends a TRUCKLOAD of products from their own warehouse to their own store, you can't tell me that the cost per item to ship is the same as when I order something and have it delivered to my house.

For example, I was looking for lightweight mats for my barn aisle and found this item at the Chantilly store:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-27233&ids=32091385&bhcd2=1231600375

The Dover store charges the same $36 shipping fee (for a $59.90 item, which is, admittedly large and heavy) that the catalog/web site charges, so no matter how I bought it (in person at the store or online/via catalog), it would still cost me $95.90!

I'm into instant gratification as much as anyone, but that's just highway robbery.

It came as no surprise to me to find that local Tractor Supply store carries a nearly identical mat for $56.99...AND DOESN'T CHARGE YOU $36 FOR SHIPPING!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_53372_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

I looked at both items in person with my own eyes--the mats are nearly identical, right down to having a pebbly surface on one side, and ridges/grooves on the other.

Guess who got my money?

The decision makers at Dover might not be stooooopid, but it sure seems like they think that WE are stooooopid!

That said, I do sometimes order items from Dover when it makes sense, or buy them from their store, but I try to do comparision shopping first, and look closely at shipping costs (especially when I'm buying something in person at the store!!!).

Lucassb
Jan. 10, 2009, 10:43 AM
I have to agree that Dover's shipping costs have prevented me from buying from them fairly frequently. I have the autoship thing going with Smartpak so usually I just add whatever item I want on to that order and take advantage of the free shipping (and their service is terrific.)

However, I have to be fair and say that Dover did correct an issue I had with a recent, fairly expensive purchase. After searching and searching, I finally bought an Electrogroom through Dover, who offered the best price. I placed the order online although the price that I saw was from the catalog. WHen I got the order confirmation, they had charged me the online (higher) price which I hadn't noticed before hitting "submit." I used their live chat function to inquire about it and they immediately refunded the difference and offered apologies for the inconvenience, even though it was my mistake.

That said, I don't know how well their model is going to stand up against the myriad of competitors that have already been mentioned. Schneiders now routinely gets my blanket orders unless I need something custom, Smartpak gets all my business for basics, supplements etc and even some apparel...

Creaghgal
Jan. 10, 2009, 10:47 AM
Jennifer, What did you use your TSC mat for? Would it hold up to wash stall use?

Ambrey
Jan. 10, 2009, 11:04 AM
Wait, they charge you for shipping if you pick it up in the store?

That is totally lame!

avezan
Jan. 10, 2009, 11:34 AM
For example, I was looking for lightweight mats for my barn aisle and found this item at the Chantilly store:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-27233&ids=32091385&bhcd2=1231600375

The Dover store charges the same $36 shipping fee (for a $59.90 item, which is, admittedly large and heavy) that the catalog/web site charges, so no matter how I bought it (in person at the store or online/via catalog), it would still cost me $95.90!

Oh my gosh, that is unreal! I admit I haven't been in the stores since they switched from Dominion to Dover.

What I want to suggest is to comparison shop, as someone else suggested. But THEN, contact your local tack store or your favorite online store or catalog and ask them to match the price. Be fair and take shipping into consideration. Even if they can't match it exactly, if they can come close, support your favorite tack shop instead of giving the business to someone who may not have the best customer service. Preferably, give the business to your local store to help keep them in business. Not every store can have the best price on every item. But if you want your favorite store to stay in business in these tough economic times, give them a chance to win your business, rather than immediately going with the cheapest price.

veebug22
Jan. 10, 2009, 11:56 AM
I get so annoyed that my shipping cost increases as my purchase amount does. I feel like I should be getting some kind of break or appreciation for spending more money. If they implemented "free shipping over $100", they'd have my business again. Their shipping costs are probably the single biggest reason I have stopped ordering from them. I still love going to the store, though, when I'm nearby.

Jennifer Alcott
Jan. 10, 2009, 02:31 PM
Jennifer, What did you use your TSC mat for? Would it hold up to wash stall use?

Right now, my TSC mats are on the ground in the overhang at the front of my barn (think--front porch). This summer/fall, I was using that spot to hose my horses off, so I would think that they'd be fine for wash stall use. Just make sure they don't cover the drain.

My mother has them in her barn aisle. She overlaps them a few inches or so. They are lightweight and will shift some, but they are FAR easier to move than the 4 x 6 thick stall mats.

Mom's barn isn't a big one, just a small private barn. Before my husband and I moved, we had 6 horses there, and I, my husband, my mother, my sister, and my nieces were frequently tacking up and untacking and grooming in the aisle ways, and we have been quite happy with how they've held up--even with my horse having borium all the way around in the winter.

Jennifer Alcott
Jan. 10, 2009, 02:35 PM
Wait, they charge you for shipping if you pick it up in the store?

That is totally lame!

Oh, it's even BETTER than that. This was stock that they had IN THE STORE ALREADY! I walked in the door out of the blue, went back to the stable equipment section, found the mat, looked at the price tag, which had the cost of the mat on it and then handwritten on the tag (in red, I think) was the ADDITIONAL shipping cost.

This was not a situation where I asked them to order something especially for me. The mat had been in the store for who knows how long.

I looked at some other large/heavy items--same thing...one price for the item, an additional cost for "shipping".

Nooooooo thanks!

Jennifer Alcott
Jan. 10, 2009, 02:43 PM
...What I want to suggest is to comparison shop, as someone else suggested. But THEN, contact your local tack store or your favorite online store or catalog and ask them to match the price. Be fair and take shipping into consideration. Even if they can't match it exactly, if they can come close, support your favorite tack shop...

I completely agree with this approach...for LOCALLY-OWNED stores. I am not, however, highly motivated to spend my time haggling with a national, publicly-traded chain store. Why should *I* care if the store goes out of business if they're going to charge me extra for shipping (on larger items) anyway? While it might provide a FEW jobs for local people, and perhaps pay sales tax and possibly income tax to Virginia, I'd be far more motivated to attempt to engage in a conversation if they were a locally-owned small business.

That store has never been my favorite, anyway. Based on past experience, I *suspect* that if they were asked to price-match, you'd just get that look that says, "Bless your heart...if you have to ask how much it is or ask us to lower the price, you can't afford it anyway."

avezan
Jan. 10, 2009, 02:49 PM
I completely agree with this approach...for LOCALLY-OWNED stores. I am not, however, highly motivated to spend my time haggling with a national, publicly-traded chain store. Why should *I* care if the store goes out of business if they're going to charge me extra for shipping (on larger items) anyway? While it might provide a FEW jobs for local people, and perhaps pay sales tax and possibly income tax to Virginia, I'd be far more motivated to attempt to engage in a conversation if they were a locally-owned small business.

That store has never been my favorite, anyway. Based on past experience, I *suspect* that if they were asked to price-match, you'd just get that look that says, "Bless your heart...if you have to ask how much it is or ask us to lower the price, you can't afford it anyway."

ha ha! I was only suggesting doing this for stores you WANT to see stay in business. Not the other ones. :)

MistyBlue
Jan. 10, 2009, 02:50 PM
Whoa...I have *never* heard of a store charging shipping on an item they carry...even if they have to bring it from the warehouse. :eek: Have to say I'd be gobsmacked...not even sure how crazy that would make me.

Have to say I've only ever had a 50/50 success rate with Dover. Half the time I get what I want on the first order in a decent time frame...the other half of the time they screw it up royally. Never just a small screw up...a really really messed up one. (I ordered a bit, pad and big jub of fly spray once...they sent me 2 saddles which I went to return after calling them and they wanted ME to pay for shipping them back AND give them my CC # so they could charge me for them in case I never shipped them back! I reminded them I could legally keep the freaking things for free but that I wasn't a loser and after talking to two managers finally got them to send UPS to pick the things up)
I keep 90% of my online purchases to SSTack...I get what I want when I want it and for the price I want to pay. Can't beat them IMO...not to mention I have yet to find any equine clothes at ANY price anywhere near as nice. I've got a 6-7 year old winter medium weight turnout...damned thing is *still* waterproof and no rips despite being washed every single week during winter for 6-7 long years. It was $120...whenever I get a new horse they get the same turnout ordered immediately.
SLT sometimes drives me bonkers and sometimes gets everything right. Haven;'t ordered from them in forever since I can get barn supplies at SSTack too...both have similar prices. SSTack has beeter customer service.
Bot on the whole...I do most of my stable supplies/etc shopping at my local feed store. 90% of what I want or need they can order for me and get in within a week, they don't charge me for shipping even if it's a special order and I prefer to keep them in as much business as I can provide. They're 10 minutes from my house and take excellent care of me, I'd be devastated if they had to close even though there are two other feed stores within 15 minutes of my house. I even bake the owner cookies...I keep them happy right back. :lol:

BeastieSlave
Jan. 10, 2009, 03:10 PM
I don't have a local tack store and my local feed store doesn't often have what I need. I order things fairly often. I used to do most of my ordering from Dover. I've always been fortunate to have gotten excellent CS from them. In the past few years I've been ordering more from SmartPak. They've messed up more orders than Dover ever did, but their CS is great, so I don't hold it against them.

With that said, Dover's is the only place I know of that has the Dover's quilted baby pad the kids and I just love. We need some new ones and I can not bring myself to order them. You see, there's a new store in Alpharetta, GA (4 hours from me). That means in addition to the exorbitant shipping Dover charges, I will now have to pay sales tax. I just can't make myself do it :no: One day I'll visit the store and stock up on baby pads. Until then, I'll keep looking at the catalogs they send and watching the website. Perhaps a reallyreally good deal will come along and I'll order something - but I doubt it :sigh:

Go Fish
Jan. 10, 2009, 11:05 PM
Ya know, my local tack shop is pretty comparable to Dover prices and I can have my item(s) NOW. I prefer to support local business. My local tack store sponsors handicapped riding, sponsors horseshows, is a wealth of news and information (and gossip), and I get friendly, hands-on service. Even if I had to pay a bit extra, it's worth every penny.

Hazelnut
Jan. 11, 2009, 09:34 AM

Oh, yes....I noted this with a lunging surcingle I recently purchased. It was $10.00 more online if you did not use the order number out of the sale catalog.

I AVOID Dover.

Shipping prices- its all been said. SAD.

moodymaretoo
Jan. 13, 2009, 11:44 PM
To the poster that got charged shipped to have stuff sent to a Dover store...
Did you get one of the christmas help???
I occasionally place orders for friends that live near the NH store...
Never get charged shipping and I've NEVER had a problem having it sent to the store in my friend's name... my friend gets to pick up her "surprise" and also tool around the basement for great deals (she gets stuff for me too).. last time I had to mention it to the operator.. aparently they were very new and didn't know about the no shipping for the stores... she had to ask a "supervisor".. but I didn't mind waiting... Very nice girl.. she did mention that when you have things shipped to a store it goes with other stock deliveries and the store calls when it arrives.. Not a problem since my friend in NH always knows I'm late for birthdays etc.
I also have to give them a big thumbs up for fixing a BIG problem a while back... They sent the wrong girth to me 3 times!
I was steaming mad that last time I called... but I got an lovely operator and although it took a few times of being put on hold... she got it checked out and they discovered there was a mistake in the warehouse. MY girth was now on back order for weeks and weeks! This girl upgraded me to the next girth that was close to what I wanted... it was much much more expensive... and I started freaking at having to pay... I remember it like it was yesterday because I was so blown away by the customer service. She said NO.. this is for you to use until the girth you originally wanted comes in, and that she was sending a return label so when MY girth arrived I could send back the "borrowed" girth. I was in shock! I mean just the fact that this operator went above and beyond made me feel better... and then she said something that I have NEVER heard from any customer service person. "It was a mistake in our warehouse, and you shouldn't have to suffer for it... we WILL make this right." and appologized over and over. She also said that it was not something that they do normally, but in my case since it was such a bad mistake that they were going to fix it... I guess it all depends on who you talk to.
I also had the same trouble on the website with my sale catalog at christmas.. I used the live service. The person mentioned "that to make sure you get the sale price enter the item number EXACTLY as it is shown in the sale catalog" I tried it and it worked!
my biggest beef is the back order thing.... if they know an item is popular or that a size or brand is selling like wild fire... WHY??? do they not seem to keep extra?? But I still love them. I do also comparison shop.
I get my healing tree stuff from KV Vet... I just have to make sure I order at least $50 to get the free shipping... I didn't once and they taked on a $5 min order charge?? WHAT?????

Ambrey
Jan. 13, 2009, 11:56 PM
"Back order" usually means the manufacturer ran out and they need to wait for more to be produced- not the retailer's fault ;)

RenaissanceMare
Jan. 14, 2009, 12:07 AM
At the Georgia store was the "destination fee" for products in the store is the fee the manufacture charges the store to ship it to them. Instead of just adding it in with the price (which most companies do and make the customer feel less like they're getting ripped off..) they make it separate.

:confused:

msrobin
Jan. 14, 2009, 11:21 AM
I tell ya who ever is in charge at Dover needs to be fired. If they don't play their cards right they will be the next in bankruptcy.

You cannot run a business if you are ripping off the people who are your customers or potential customers.

It isn't like Walmart or Target where they have a huge market of people they only have horse people so they should have to be more careful in their practices.

Bad bad management.

joharavhf
Jan. 14, 2009, 11:49 AM
I hate the idea of Dover. I love to support my local shops as much as I can....but unfortunately the local shops RARELY have exactly what I want in stock. It's very frustrating, but it's okay. I have a Dover about an hour away from me - and I WILL go to that store if there's an item I want to try or see in person.

My most recent experience with Dover - I wanted the Rhino Heavyweight Turnout Plus blanket in a 75. Online was backordered....So I went to the store. It is backordered as well. I am willing to wait for the item. So the store ordered the blanket for me from mail order and had it shipped to me for free. Still awaiting the blanket, but the price was SLAMMIN ($160) and all the other retailers have the same blanket at $240 plus shipping. Like I said. I'll wait. My horse has plenty of blankets and I can layer him up!

Unfortunately their stock at the stores is just so fantastic that they can't be beat in that aspect.

winegum
Jan. 14, 2009, 12:50 PM
dover has some nice stuff but they are way too expensive, not an option for horse people on a budget (which is pretty much everyone I think!)

sometimes they have some good deals, like in their catalogs. for example, a helmet I want is 200 bucks at my local tack store and only 140 in the dover magazine (plus shipping) and I also get a free helmet bag. I don't really shop with dover though, but I will get that helmet from them just because I can't find it for such a good deal anywhere else.

I love stateline tack because they have free shipping on orders over 49 dollars and that makes a huge difference I think. it is so easy to go over a 49 dollar order so I think that is an exceptional deal!

I also like schneiders. that is where I get my blankets from because they are such good quality, but i still like to look on stateline because of the good shipping deal.

Auventera Two
Jan. 14, 2009, 01:00 PM
I just ordered a blanket from Adams. I always comparison shop with the ferver of an OCD squirrel putting up nuts for the winter. At Dover, the blanket was about the same cost, so I clicked "Buy" just to get the shipping cost on it. I thingie popped up that said "This item is no longer available in the size/color you requested." And THEN it AUTOMATICALLY added a size 84" to my basket., I did not want an 84. I wanted a 70! The shipping cost did come up 3 dollars cheaper than Adams but if I can't get it in the right size/color I want, then the cheaper shipping does no good.

I bought a saddle pad from Dover and had it 2-day air shipped. Day 2 came and no pad. I waited until Day 3, and they hadn't even shipped it out of their warehouse yet. They DID refund me the shipping cost, and then send it regular ground, but I needed the pad for an event, and that's why I ordered it 2-day air. Good grief. :no:

I have a suggestion Dover - why don't you withold the 16 full color shiny catalogs you send me every year and invest more money in doing things RIGHT.

And I order from Smith Brothers a lot and never had a problem, but now I am REALLY pissed to learn they = Dover! :eek: I had no idea, but that sucks ROYALLY. Same deal with Miller's Harness. I used to love them, now they answer the phone with one of THREE different tack shop names, and their service is HORRIBLE. What a shame that all these great tack stores are in the hell-bound handbasket waiting for the next express delivery.

Mendin Fences
Jan. 14, 2009, 01:35 PM
Coming soon to headline news: EQUINE INDUSTRY BAILOUT :lol:

pds
Jan. 14, 2009, 02:25 PM
Dover is a public company traded on the NASDQ. Symbol: DOVR

52 week high: $6.02/share

Currently trading at $1.50/share

A review of Dover's stock price and financial statements show that their business is not at all immune to the economic times. However I have not seen nor have I heard of any exciting business strategy changes:(

You can view their financial statements here(annual and by qtr). Net income is down.

http://www.nasdaq.com/asp/ExtendFund.asp?symbol=DOVR&selected=DOVR

NASDQ average risk index is 250. Dover stock risk index is 630. Over 700 is considered extremely risky.

It will be interesting to see Dover's 08 4th qtr financial report.

Carnelian
Jan. 14, 2009, 02:45 PM
My local tack shop NEVER has what I am looking for and usually takes 6 weeks to get it in. I'd love to support local, but when I get up to Dallas I go straight to the Dover store. Mecca! Between that and the tack trailers at shows I don't do a lot of mail order.

Dover is feeling the pinch of the economy but hasn't folded yet on shipping:no: Have you noticed how many discount emails Dover is now sending out? I got a $15 off $100 code by renewing my USDF membership (at least it will cover the shipping), and another coupon for $10 off that I used in the store (no minimum purchase). I also got an email for a discount by setting up a wishlist for Christmas.

Also, I really like the quality of most Dover house brand items, so I keep a saved eBay search for "Dover" in Sporting Goods > Outdoor Sports > Equestrian. I've found some great bargains!

poltroon
Jan. 14, 2009, 03:15 PM
Dover's shipping prices drive me batty, especially since they base it on the $$ of your order. If I buy one expensive pair of breeches that they can ship in an envelope, $30 shipping is just inappropriate.

I was really annoyed with them because I had put together several items in an order, centered around a sale on some breeches I wanted. The other items were small things, things I mostly put in there to help justify the shipping cost - snaps and the like, stuff I need but that I wouldn't buy from Dover under ordinary circumstances.

By the time they processed my order (and it was placed online), the breeches were sold out in my size. They called me to let me know - but only after the rest of my order had been assembled and shipped. I didn't want the other things without the breeches, or at least without some breeches, because the shipping cost made the order insensible.

Ambrey
Jan. 14, 2009, 03:47 PM
I just ordered a blanket from Adams. I always comparison shop with the ferver of an OCD squirrel putting up nuts for the winter. At Dover, the blanket was about the same cost, so I clicked "Buy" just to get the shipping cost on it. I thingie popped up that said "This item is no longer available in the size/color you requested." And THEN it AUTOMATICALLY added a size 84" to my basket., I did not want an 84. I wanted a 70! The shipping cost did come up 3 dollars cheaper than Adams but if I can't get it in the right size/color I want, then the cheaper shipping does no good..

Yeah, has your blanket shipped? I ordered 3 blankets from adams- they all went in my basket, then into limbo. When I contacted them a week later, they said "oh, those are all out of stock."

I wish I did not share your crazed OCD price comparison habit, because I'd love to be able to just order full price from SmartPak and not sweat it- instead it would eat away at me forever ;)

Mendin Fences
Jan. 14, 2009, 03:50 PM
Yeah, has your blanket shipped? I ordered 3 blankets from adams- they all went in my basket, then into limbo. When I contacted them a week later, they said "oh, those are all out of stock."

I wish I did not share your crazed OCD price comparison habit, because I'd love to be able to just order full price from SmartPak and not sweat it- instead it would eat away at me forever ;)

That happened to me with Adams when I tried to buy some gloves last year :no: I thought I had ordered and paid for them and everything, and then nothing happened. The money wasn't taken for them, but it was frustrating.

Murphy's Mom
Jan. 14, 2009, 04:22 PM
The Amish sell excellent quality halters, lead ropes, tack, etc. It's pretty cheap too! That counts as US made, right? :)
Are there any websites or catalogs that sell Amish made goods? I'm on the wrong side of the country to shop with them!

SuperSTB
Jan. 14, 2009, 04:25 PM
I've found some good deals at Dover...

But always shop around first though.

Ambrey
Jan. 14, 2009, 04:34 PM
I believe Perri's and Tory are both amish made products.

Finzean
Jan. 14, 2009, 05:33 PM

They are still alive b/c really good tack shops can be difficult to find. The closest saddlery shop to me (sells only English goods) is more often than not out of seemingly basic stuff. You order it through them and it takes 100 years to get it. There is no such thing as a real sale item...the most I've ever seen is 20% off the MSRP. When we tried to buy the child a pair of 1/2 chaps...there were only a couple of choices in the Ariat brand or customs. We ended up getting Tredsteps from Dover and when the size we had didn't work, we had replacements in a couple of days. And when I was hunting?? Great googly moogly...forget it. We would have to get in the car, drive hours on end (around 7)to NoVa, and stock up large. Some of the simple stuff I'm addicted to I can't get anywhere near here...i.e. Carr,Day, Martin Belviour Glycerine Soap.

Dovers survives b/c not all of us can live near Warrenton, Middleburg, or Camden. :( Hmmm, feeling like a road trip.

spaceagevalkyrie
Jan. 14, 2009, 06:06 PM
out of curiosity, has anyone ever sent any threads to Dover about their RIDICULOUS shipping fees. Even w/ theier "best ever sale," their prices were still higher than other places. What you may save in "sale" prices is always eaten up w/ shipping. Supposedly their head honcho is always open to ideas. I can't believe they don't check out thier competitors, but they may not care at all. Shipping time can be extemely hit or miss, as far as getting the item. I'll just keep shopping for better deals until they make changes.:no:

I just did, actually. Can't wait to see if they actually respond :lol:

2horseowner
Jan. 14, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hooray for you sending the info to Dover! Please keep all of us informed!:)

Mendin Fences
Jan. 14, 2009, 07:27 PM
Are there any websites or catalogs that sell Amish made goods? I'm on the wrong side of the country to shop with them!

I'm not sure, but you could probably do a Google search. The problem with having a go-between catalog/website is that they will majorly jack up the price.
I have a friend who lives near a lot of Amish in NW PA. She gave me a BEAUTIFUL custom made leather halter for Christmas. She even picked out the hide that the leather came from. I'm not sure how much it cost her, but I would guess $35-45.
I had a halter fixed (the cheap metal ring snapped) and they charged me $1.50 to open it, put in a new heavy duty ring, and restitch it with a manual sewing machine! My friend also takes her blankets to them for repair which only costs $5-$10.

spaceagevalkyrie
Jan. 14, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hooray for you sending the info to Dover! Please keep all of us informed!:)

Of course I will :lol:

GettingBack
Jan. 14, 2009, 10:06 PM
I will no longer shop at Dover.

I placed an online order for a helmet last night. Nothing on the webpage indicated that they were backordered. I received a confirmation of the order which said it would be delayed. When I got the confirmation, I realized that I had the wrong shipping address, so I immediately contacted live help to get it fixed.

Live help claimed to have fixed it, and told me the helmet would take 4 weeks to get here. Okay, no big deal.

Next morning, I get an email saying my order was cancelled because the manufacturer discontinued the item - BUT - they had SOMEONE ELSE'S NAME on the order.

So I called - making sure it was my order (which at this point I was going to try to cancel anyway - 4 weeks is a long time) - and the gal on the phone said, yes, not sure why that's not your name, and no, the gal on Live help never changed your address.

Then she asked me if I needed help ordering another helmet.

No thank you.

The last lady I spoke with was very pleasant, and I wish her no ill will, but if their computer system is that hosed in this day and age....

No thank you.

Off to somewhere else to look for a helmet!

Empressive Award
Jan. 15, 2009, 11:26 AM
I visited the Dover Chantilly store recently and needed to order something they didnt have in stock. I was told that if I ordered it and had it delivered to the store, there was no shipping charge, but if I ordered it and had it shipped to my home, there was a shipping charge.

They also wanted $12 for a brass plate and engraving, plus shipping. If you want or need a brass plate for ANYTHING, check out your local jewelry store. 9/10 times, they do engraving for alot cheaper, onsite and will do it while you wait. (I used to be a jeweler and engraver at local jewelry store:D)

Now tell me this....If I ordered some of those stall mats and some larger items and had them sent to the store, I wouldnt be charged the outrageous shipping fee that they have tacked on to the other items they already have in stock, right?

Wrong.

How the heck does that make sense? Needless to say, I ended up in Middleburg at a tack shop where I found BY CHANCE the item I was inquiring about at DOVER, for $4 less than Dover's "sale" price, and I didnt have to pay shipping either way.

The only thing I purchase from Dover now is breeches if they are on sale, because I have to try them on before I buy them. That and cheap blankets along with the clearence sale and a $10 off coupon. Bought three blankets for $150, and they have held up through 2 winters.

Personally, I think that they people that work in the actually stores, are often rude and with snobby attitudes...just because I come in with my dirty barn jeans and muck boots, doesnt mean I dont have the money to shop there. On numerous occasions I have been pushed to buy a more expensive item that isnt and doesnt work well for me. Do they make commision on big sales????

icarus
Jan. 23, 2009, 12:42 AM
Personally, I think that they people that work in the actually stores, are often rude and with snobby attitudes...just because I come in with my dirty barn jeans and muck boots, doesnt mean I dont have the money to shop there. On numerous occasions I have been pushed to buy a more expensive item that isnt and doesnt work well for me. Do they make commision on big sales????

HA! I used to work at Dover (not Chantilly) and, no, they don't work on commission. If so, I would've been pushing the GPAs, Ariat tall boots, and Hermes saddles on everyone that walked through the door.

In terms of customer service, I think it really depends on who you get. Some people judge right off the bat and that works on both sides of the transaction. I've had customers who immediately assumed that a younger looking girl (who had been riding since she was 6 and did Grand Prix show jumping) doesn't know what she's talking about just because she's "young" and works in a tack shop. I think its a person-to-person basis. Sorry you got the snobby ones :D

Lambie Boat
Jan. 23, 2009, 07:14 AM
maybe if Dover stopped sending so many catalogs, they could actually lower their prices +/or pay the workers a little more? I've asked to be removed from their mailing list more than 5 times, and yet they just keep on coming.

NOT GREEN! NOT PC! I'm not going to buy anything from them. Ever.

I share Ambrey's OCD price comparison shopping habits. If I pay too much, I never let myself live it down! :D and that includes shipping costs

Ambrey
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:48 AM
I just started classes for the semester. One of them is a web useability class, and although it sounded boring in the catalog it's actually really interesting (basically, the psychology of web users).

Anyway, "hidden charges" are one of the best ways to lose customers. People become so fed up they will go elsewhere just on principal. I think that's where the shipping thing bites Dover in the rear.

ExJumper
Jan. 23, 2009, 10:59 AM
I order from Dover as an absolute last resort. I wanted a new hunt coat and was going to get one of the dover-specific Grand Prixs that they have for $150 in the sale catalog. You know, they come in pretty plain colors but it's perfect if you just need a new navy coat or whatever.

But I changed my mind when I say that it would cost me $30 to get one single coat shipped to me. I refused. I went on ebay and spent my money there. And spent about $5 on shipping. So I would rather get a used hunt coat from ebay than pay dover's insane shipping.

Like other people have said, it is INSANE that you have to pay more for shipping when you buy more stuff. Nearly every place I go to has flat rate shipping or free shipping over $100 or something. Sure, if you buy something that costs $10 and weighs 100 pounds, then there can be some extra shipping, but the way they do it is bull$hit. They should do it by weight, if they aren't willing to do flat rate. At least that is more fair than charging you $30 to send something that fits into a tyvek envelope!

EAY
Jan. 28, 2009, 12:10 PM
I've just placed my last order with Dover. Not only are the shipping charges outrageous they don't even ship regular ground service and so it can take forever for the package to be delivered. I can order from a tack store in a neighboring state, get free shipping and receive it via UPS in one or two days.

I also think their customer service stinks. You're okay if you're able to get a hold of someone helpful but good luck if you get one of their employees who has an attitude. I'm trying to return an item that was not at all how it was described in their catalog and it's taken three phone calls just to get the promised return label sent to me. I wanted to exchange it in one of their stores (which would have saved them money) but they couldn't do it. And on top of it most of the Dover people with whom I have spoken as I've tried to resolve this issue have been rude.

They need to understand that nowadays it's just too easy to comparison shop for them to have such lousy customer service and ridiculous shipping policies.

ShaSamour
Jan. 28, 2009, 04:56 PM
Said it before, I'll say it again: When it comes to Dover, you'll get much, much better prices on supplements, barn and stable equipment, blankets -- basically anything that isn't specifically for H/J, dressage, eventing -- if you use their western catalog: Smith Brothers.

I'm talking often HUGE differences in price, and you often get "add-ons" -- i.e., buy a gallon of joint fluid (for $20 to $30 cheaper than in the Dover catalog) and get a free quart.

The only way to explain it -- since the catalogs and products share the same flipping warehouse -- is that, once again, we "English people" are expected to simply bend over and take it.

Well I'll be darned! I just looked at the same item in both the Smith Brothers and Dover catalog, and here's what I found:
Hampton Triple Stitched Halter (identical item description) - Smith Item X3-0545, $19.99; Dover Item X1-0545, $39.90

You can bet I'm going to check the Smith catalog for basics before I look at Dover.

WNT
Jan. 28, 2009, 07:56 PM

I'm sorry you ran into someone unpleasant to help you at the store, and I really hope you don't take that across the board about everyone that works there. Most of us spend a lot of our time out of the store in barn jeans and muck boots. No, there are no commssions for employees. God forbid, we'd be clawing each others eyes out to make a sale. :lol:

Seven-up
Jan. 28, 2009, 09:58 PM
Well, I'll probably be the only one to say this, but I have never had any trouble with Dover. I've ordered plenty over the years, and the only mistake they ever made was mixing up my bonus buy item; I ordered polos but they sent me a leather halter instead. Not big enough of a mix-up for me to bitch about it. It would have been more of a hassle to send it back than to keep it.

I've compared prices between Dover and Smart-Pak, and I agree with whoever said it earlier: the shipping might be cheaper from Smart-Pak, but the prices on all the items are more expensive. And lots of things at Smart-Pak are "Smart-Pak" brand instead of the name brand. I always thought knock-offs were supposed to be cheaper! Right now they have polos for almost $30! Who pays 30 bucks for freakin' polo wraps? I always put together orders at both SP and Dover to compare, and in the end, Dover is always cheaper. I've never even ordered anything from SP.

I've gotten things from State Line before, but haven't ordered anything for years from them. The selection is poor and so is the quality. SLT reminds me of the generic food aisle in the store. You know, the can with a white label with "BEANS" printed on the front. What kind of beans? It's a mystery till you open the can. And even then, sometimes it's still a mystery.

I used to boo-hoo about Dover's shipping prices until I realized I can pay less for 2-day shipping than I would on regular shipping. As someone who hops around impatiently waiting on a delivery, getting my stuff in 2 or 3 days is great! Order as much as you want, pay a flat rate, and get your stuff in a couple days.

I've never had trouble with Dover taking forever to send me things; I guess I've been lucky. But I've ordered quite a bit over the years, and not one time have I ever been left wondering where my stuff is. Usually it arrives before they say it will. And I've never had a problem with the customer service, either. I've returned/exchanged items with no issue at all. Maybe it's because I treat the customer service people like human beings, who knows?

Ambrey
Jan. 28, 2009, 10:11 PM
Check those shipping prices again... when Dover says "2-day shipping only $10!" they mean $10 on TOP of the regular shipping cost.

Seven-up
Jan. 28, 2009, 10:36 PM
Sorry, can you speak up? You're on ignore. Maybe try typing a little louder.

M. O'Connor
Jan. 28, 2009, 10:38 PM
I comparison shop like mad, and always buy specific items from Dover (Rider's T/O's, baby pads) because they are a good value.

I have notices some design changes in the Rider's items that are not for the better--they've replaced the elastic leg straps with web ones that have a short section of elastic. This has caused linings in two of the newer sheets I got recently to rip--but, I got replacements, and quickly, without any problem at all.

My older sheets are going on year 6 or 7...

There have been some funny things going on with other blankets--quality has gone down a bit over the last couple years, but on the whole, they still offer a very good value for the money.