PDA

View Full Version : Hemp oil, has anyone used it?

ivy62
Jan. 8, 2009, 09:11 PM
We think my horse may have EPSM and I do not like to use corn oil...So I am looking for something to replace it with..I would love to use flax but my horse will not eat anything that is really wet....and I cannot be there to grind it every day before meals...Anyone? or other suggestions?

pintopiaffe
Jan. 8, 2009, 10:27 PM
Hemp oil's really expensive...

Probably more than Rice Bran oil.

I use Canola, of all the 'regular' oils it's got the best 3:6 Omegas ratio, and then I feed whole flax. While I think the (fresh) ground is probably slightly more useful and economical (they bet more value per oz) whole is simply the easiest way for me to feed it... I notice a difference without it, and I haven't seen any flax flowers growing (I DO have volunteer sunflowers here and there, and the occasional stalk of oats) so I've got to think they're using most of it.

Seven-up
Jan. 8, 2009, 10:31 PM
Flax does not need to be ground or soaked before feeding. Some people just like to do it because they think it works better. I'm not convinced of that. I'm a whole flax seed feeder.

If he won't eat anything wet, well, hemp oil would be wet.

Maybe try a supplement that contains already ground flax. It's somehow stabilized or has preservatives in it to keep it from going rancid. Haven't used them myself; don't know names, but someone here will know. Or just look at ingredients and pick something with flax in it.

TheOrangeOne
Jan. 8, 2009, 10:57 PM
I use it and have had good results. You end up feeding a lot less, so one big jug lasts a month or so and it would be easier to disguise than a cup of another oil. I buy it from www.theracelleq.com (http://www.theracelleq.com) Actually, I am doing that whole program. Took a big swig of the kool-aid. I did call Dr. Tim Ober (US team vet for 2008 olympics) and he does reccomend the products, including the hemp oil, which might make reassure you.

deltawave
Jan. 8, 2009, 11:03 PM
Duuuuuuude.

Sorry. :p

What is it about hemp oil that's supposed to be superior, other than it's uniqueness and being out of the ordinary?

If you're worried about those pesky omega-6s just use plain flax seed, or you can't go wrong with olive oil. Yum, my favorite. (but I'm Italian . . . ) ;)

TheOrangeOne
Jan. 8, 2009, 11:25 PM
Just the omega 3/6/9 ratio is supposed to be better with that than with other oils. I couldn't even tell you, I just know Dr. Ober said he has seen good success with it for treatment of colonic ulcers because of some other chemical in it. I have tried normal things which haven't worked, so the crazier, the better for me. :lol: Tigger, the owner, posts on here occasionally, she might be able to stop in and explain. The only thing to keep in mind is that you need to make sure to get the type with no THC in it. I was looking around for a cheaper alternative just to see what my options are, and the only other company I found said they weren't aware of any governing body that even tested for THC. Because, you know, the USEF is kind of obscure anyways...

Gayla
Jan. 9, 2009, 12:18 AM
I think if they are growing fields of hemp they know it is the one without THC...right? :eek::eek: I mean...I could start cooking more...:cool::winkgrin:

Seven-up
Jan. 9, 2009, 12:24 AM
Those of us in the know are aware that hemp is a waste of good growing space. :winkgrin: It's kind of the same thing as buying a car battery when you don't have a car.

El Tovar
Jan. 9, 2009, 12:38 AM
I personally have used Hemp oil for horses for a while now and have seen some amazing things in relatively short periods of time: topline muscle deveolpment, balanced energy levels, help with ulcers, improved immune and inflammatory issues including canker and severe arthritis, and 30 something year old horses maintaing perfect condition on tablespoons a day as their sole fat source (who previously needed pounds of rice bran and TC Senior).

Regarding the benefits of hemp oil over canola/vegetable/rice bran etc. Flax is wonderful, however it is mostly omega 3's, all the vegetable oils-rice bran included, are extremely low in omega 3's and are very heavy in omega 6's. Many horse diets are heavy in Omega 6's (soy, rice bran, corn, grains, etc) to begin with, which is why many people see improvements after adding flax (balancing the 6's).

Omega 6's, they are pro-inflammatory. The omega 3,6,9's in Hemp oil are all balanced which is rare, in an oil, but researchers have found that the ratio of 3:1 is optimal for mammals. (three parts omega 6 to one part omega 3). The body needs some omega 6's for normal prostaglandin production, but they must be proportionate to the 3's and 9's.

It's not that one oil is bad or good, it's all about the balance of the omegas, the purity of the oil, the way the oil is processed to keep nutrients bioavailable and viable. Keep in mind, horses have no gall-bladder and we are not sure yet of the long-term effects of feeding multiple cups and pounds of fat to them. Hemp oil is a balanced fat source that requires tablespoons/day and is more natural for the horse to assimilate.

The other great part of hemp oil is that it has 2% GLA (gamma linolenic acid) and this is anti-inflammatory. GLA is also the reason horses with colonic ulcers respond well to hemp oil. There will be a study done on this in the near future, specific to horses.

Hemp oil is cold-pressed, which keeps intact the vitamin E, vitamin A, antioxidants, minerals, along with the food enzymes lipase and protease. Quality hemp oil is from seeds that are certifled 0.00% THC free, cold-pressed, and organic.

PM me if you need more details.

TheOrangeOne
Jan. 9, 2009, 12:39 AM
Those of us in the know are aware that hemp is a waste of good growing space. :winkgrin: It's kind of the same thing as buying a car battery when you don't have a car.
OK, this could be a "grace is sheltered" thing, but I don't get what that means. As for the THC, most hemp plants have it in trace amounts, I think pot plants have it in more amounts- different strains. Theracell's plants are bred to have 0.00% THC so no worries about the testing.

Seven-up
Jan. 9, 2009, 12:43 AM
OK, this could be a "grace is sheltered" thing, but I don't get what that means. As for the THC, most hemp plants have it in trace amounts, I think pot plants have it in more amounts- different strains. Theracell's plants are bred to have 0.00% THC so no worries about the testing.

I was joking that hemp is missing all the good stuff that it's cousin contains. Like a fat-free cheesecake. Or alcohol-free beer. :lol:

TheOrangeOne
Jan. 9, 2009, 12:44 AM
I was joking that hemp is missing all the good stuff that it's cousin contains. Like a fat-free cheesecake. Or alcohol-free beer. :lol:
Gotcha. I can understand that point of view. I only know about the THC testing because my uncle who is rather, ah, familiar with things of that nature, offered to get lego an 'herbal supplement' to 'chill him out' when I was getting bucked off every other day and I was seriously considering it. :lol:

Seven-up
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:09 AM
Gotcha. I can understand that point of view. I only know about the THC testing because my uncle who is rather, ah, familiar with things of that nature, offered to get lego an 'herbal supplement' to 'chill him out' when I was getting bucked off every other day and I was seriously considering it. :lol:

Related to the testing thing, (yet somehow I'm going waaaaaay off track here;)) have you noticed that LSD is also on the banned substances list? It baffles me that 1)anyone would think that giving a horse acid is a good idea or would benefit their performance in any way, and that 2)someone may have actually done this in order for it to be on the list. :eek:

However, I've known a horse or two that sure seemed like they were on an acid trip. Spooking at things that only they could see, overly paranoid, licking the stall wall for hours...hmmmm. :lol:

TheOrangeOne
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:12 AM
Hah, I thought the same thing. "Who on earth would want to make the monsters that live in the decorative greenery real?!" The cocaine apparently was popular to get the hunters to spin in their stalls all night and thus no lunging in the morning. :no:

Hoofprince in Mud
Jan. 9, 2009, 02:36 AM
Duuuuuuude.

What is it about hemp oil that's supposed to be superior, other than it's uniqueness and being out of the ordinary?

If you have a horse prone to ulcers in the digestive tract, you might find flax seed an irritant on the individuals system because of the Cyanide, and yes, I understand most individuals, both horses and humans, have not problem with flax.
While I cannot process flax seed in any form, and feel discomfort if I ingest flax, I also have a horse, who doesn't experience digestive comfort after ingesting the same.
He needs the benefits of omega 3s in his diet, because he has minor arthritis problems, and omega 3s offer some anti inflammatory properties, without having the drying properties of MSM. (He also receives ground rose bud, another thread, another day).

Original poster: Nuts Online

kcmel
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:24 AM
Original poster: Nuts Online

Well, sheesh, no need to get personal :lol:.

ivy62
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:29 AM
hoofprince in mud-
I know I am nuts! But can I be sold? Heehee......
I am very comfused about all this and I know my B/O is going to have a hissy fit, I just changed his food over the summer and he is doing well, except for the movement part...but he looks good and healthy....
I am going to check it all out....
Thanks

McVillesMom
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:32 AM
However, I've known a horse or two that sure seemed like they were on an acid trip. Spooking at things that only they could see, overly paranoid, licking the stall wall for hours...hmmmm. :lol:

Morphine can sometimes cause weird behavior like this...we had a horse in ICU last quarter that was given morphine (I think he had had surgery to repair a diaphragmatic hernia) and the resident said it looked like 30 people were offering him carrots all at the same time...he was sort of weaving back and forth in his stall randomly chomping at the air. Apparently it was quite humorous :winkgrin:

Spiritpaws
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:45 AM
There is another benefit of hemp oil that is not widely discussed: it's low impact on the environment. This is a drought-resistant plant, which is extremely hardy. Farmers that rotate with hemp report that the yields on traditional crops (soy, corn, canola) increase when those crops are grown in fields that previously grew hemp. One acre of hemp provides as much pulp fiber as three acres of trees.

The 0.00% THC seeds were developed in Finland. The Canadian government, in an effort to reduce tobacco, created an incentive program for Canadian farmers to grow these Finnish hemp seeds.

Industial hemp of course has been used for centuries. Benjamin Franklin started a hemp pulp business to help America get off her dependence on England for paper. Henry Ford even made a hemp car (although it was never marketed).

So there are many good reasons outside of the nutritional value to use hemp oil and hemp products!

deltawave
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:46 AM
So much theory, so little actual fact. :sigh:

Bravestrom
Jan. 9, 2009, 12:07 PM
We used to use hemp oil - great results - very expensive. Went to cocosoya oil - same results as far as I can tell, much cheaper.

Tillie
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:25 PM
and deltawave, once again, raining on everyone's parade b/c it sounds "alternative" or unscientific. ooooohhh scary.
And how exactly, do you know that what was stated by some in these threads as NOT being facts?? Have you personally studied hemp oil? Who's facts are you attacking?
Come on, give your facts.

deltawave
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:33 PM
I got no trouble with hemp oil or any other oil. I still am not convinced, however, that there is anything solid and compelling about the evils of omega 6 fatty acids and the necessity of having one's "ratio" of these things balanced. That's all. :)

abbydp
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:49 PM
I have no idea about the hemp brewhaha but just wanted to say yay for Dr. Tim Ober!! He used to be my vet way back in the day and I am very glad to see he has done so well.