PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: So, tomorrow we are putting our dog, Whisky to sleep...

MintHillFarm
Jan. 8, 2009, 01:54 PM
This is a very sad day that has been coming for sometime. Whisk lost an eye to Glaucoma 2 yrs ago and has not been the same since. Her balance was poor after the surgery and she could never quite adjust to turning and walking straight. She was my BF's hunting dog, a Boykin Spaniel, and his best friend. A truly lovely dog that instantly loved my dog too and became best spaniel friends... She had never been around horses either before we met, and 3 yrs ago at first intro to the horses on my farm, became a great barn dog. Never an issue even at 11 yrs old. This past summer she lost the vision in the other eye...and her days of porch sitting became dangerous as she would stumble off the stone steps. All her activities that she loved became dangerous. No more walks without supervsion, or romps through the corn fields. Now, she has gotten like an elderly person, incontenent and not quite sure where she is. A terrible place in life for a dog or a person. Everyone loved The Whisk and tomorrow will be remembered for the day that she leaves us hopefully to hunt and romp through the clover she loved to roll in. I know there are many of you that have to make this tough decision too with dogs, horses and other of our best animal friends. It's very hard to get to this point. So, I thought I would share this day with all of you.:cry:

UPDATE - Friday, The Day...
Whisky was given a tranquilizer at home this morning, on the couch. Once she fell into a deep sleep, snoring as she always did, our friend and Vet Tech who kindly said Yes to doing this sad process at home, gave her the drug that stopped her heart. We all cried and hugged; and wrapped Whisky in Ted's hunting coat and cap, took off her collar and laid her on her bed which she will be on now for eternity. We drove her down in the truck to the cemetery for all the dogs and laid her down for good. Ted's son gave her a 21 (in this case 18 for a female) salute and we covered over her grave. A stream runs along side and it is a very peaceful spot near her clover field. The weather was cold but sunny for the first time in awhile. Finally, Whisky will be resting; no more spinning in circles or bumping into things. We cried some more and went in for a good stiff drink, of course it was Whiskey. Thank you all again for writing in and your kind thoughts.

heelgirl4381
Jan. 8, 2009, 02:06 PM
So sorry to hear about this, but it sounds like her quality of life has gone downhill. It sounds like you gave her the lots of love and the best care you could. This is never an easy decision. I'll be thinking about you and your dog

theoldgreymare
Jan. 8, 2009, 02:06 PM
I hope her passing is an easy one for you both. It always hurts to put one down but you can take solace in the knowledge that you are doing the right thing for her.

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 8, 2009, 02:22 PM
You've made the kindest decision. It sounds like Whiskey had a wonderful life with you, and hopefully fond memories of better days will help to ease your pain.

CB/TB
Jan. 8, 2009, 03:01 PM
Knowing it's the right thing doesn't make it any easier. So very sorry for you . As was said, remember the good times and and know you did the best you could. A peaceful passing is the best gift we can give them.

MintHillFarm
Jan. 8, 2009, 06:02 PM
Thank you all for your support, it's very kind of you to send in your thoughts, I really appreciate it...

dalpal
Jan. 8, 2009, 06:20 PM
HUGS to you.....god bless you for doing what is right for Whiskey. It is the hardest thing we'll ever have to do for our animals.

ASB Stars
Jan. 8, 2009, 06:25 PM
I have two English Springer Spaniels (one is a rescue) and a Brittany (rescue). They are simply the best four footed children. I am deeply sorry for your impending loss, but I thank you for considering the quality of her life, and giving her some dignity, before it gets any harder for her.

Bless you, and your Whisky....

MajMeadowMorgans
Jan. 8, 2009, 06:34 PM
[quote=CB/TB;3788935]Knowing it's the right thing doesn't make it any easier. quote]

Amen to that and ((((((HUGS)))) to you!

shea'smom
Jan. 8, 2009, 07:50 PM
It is so hard to be an animal lover. I have had a very hard last few days due to the loss of a boarder's horse. I'll just send you hugs.

pj
Jan. 9, 2009, 09:45 AM
Hoping for strength for you, hoping that her passing is gentle and quick.
I wish that if I ever become like Whisk someone could do this kind thing for me.

amdfarm
Jan. 9, 2009, 09:57 AM
((((HUGS)))) to you and your BF. May Whisky have a gentle passing where she can do all of the hunting she wants.

equineartworks
Jan. 9, 2009, 10:18 AM
I'm so sorry, I just lost my dear old dog yesterday myself. (((hugs))) to you and Godspeed Whiskey.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:30 PM
:cry:

words don't help, because they touch that part of our souls and our hearts beyond words.

Godspeed Whiskey. :cry:

lovemyoldguy
Jan. 9, 2009, 03:54 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm so glad that it was peaceful. God bless you for giving Whisky such a quiet and dignified passing and such a wonderful resting place.

equusvilla
Jan. 9, 2009, 03:58 PM
Grief is the price we pay for true love.

I am so sorry. Rest in Peace Whisky.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:01 PM
nd wrapped Whisky in Ted's hunting coat and cap, took off her collar and laid her on her bed which she will be on now for eternity.

Oh my, that is just so amazingly precious... <crying quite seriously>

What a lovely tribute to her. :cry:

Brydelle Farm
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:41 PM
RIP and Godspeed Whisky!! Big {{{{{{{{{{MHF and family}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

“The Power of the Dog” ByRudyard Kipling

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie-
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years with Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumor, or fits,
And the vet’s unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chamber or loaded guns,
Then you will find-it’s your own affair-
But...you’ve given your heart for a dog to tear.

We’ve sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
that the longer we’ve kept ’em, the more do we grieve.
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long-
So why in Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

llsc
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's just heartbreaking to have to put a loyal and loving friend to sleep.

Our family just put our Boston Terrier, Brains to sleep on December 21 and it was horrible for a few days, but it does get easier day by day.

((( ))) Hugs.

HookedOnReefing
Jan. 13, 2009, 08:38 AM
What a beautiful, peaceful and loving ceremony for Whisk!

Boykin Spaniels are great dogs! We have 2 English Springer Spaniels.

I wish your BF all the best. He must miss his friend terribly.:cry:

Jealoushe
Jan. 13, 2009, 09:34 AM
Hugs to you, it is never easy losing a dog :sadsmile:

chai
Jan. 13, 2009, 09:37 AM
I'm sorry for your loss, but what a lucky girl Whiskey was to be so loved. We lost our dear farm dog, Molly, to cancer this past November. It's always heartbreaking to say goodbye. They just do not stay with us long enough.

Tiki
Jan. 13, 2009, 10:51 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I just know that your Whiskey is up there with my Dashleigh McLeash - better known as Dash to his friends - and Simon and Domino and Snaps and Dancer (oh, that was a tough one - he was such a gentleman) romping and playing and totally free of pain and care. They sure do take a piece of your heart with them when they go.