PDA

View Full Version : Hoof Cuttings

mandalea
Jan. 8, 2009, 04:17 AM
What do you do with your hoof cuttings?

Do you feed them to your dog also, or leave them, or throw them out?

Mali
Jan. 8, 2009, 06:16 AM
In my dogs' eyes, throwing them out would be the ultimate crime.
I scarf them up into a plastic bag, and ration them out to him.

witherbee
Jan. 8, 2009, 07:40 AM
Be careful with the hoof cuttings - some dogs are more suceptible to things like pigs ears and hoof pieces and can get pancreatitis. My Chessie just had a bad bout of pancreatitis and that may have contributed to the cause.... My New Years resolution is to just feed my 3 dogs good quality dog food (I feed Innova) and NO cooked people food (table scraps) and to try to keep them away from hoof cuttings and fatty treats. They love the Blue Dog Bakery biscuits (which are healthy and low calorie), so they can have one of those in the morning and during the day. I almost lost my Chessie, so no more extra stuff that their stomache enzymes can't digest properly.

county
Jan. 8, 2009, 09:41 AM
Leave them lay where they are the dogs eat them. Same as when we casterate livestock dogs do a great job of clean up.

S1969
Jan. 8, 2009, 09:45 AM
My dogs get an occasional hoof cutting but mainly I check that there are no nails or nail bits and toss into the manure pile. We compost our manure pile so it's all good.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 8, 2009, 10:31 AM
No dogs live here at 2dogs, so my trimmings get composted.
FWIW: when I boarded, the barn dogs inevitably barfed up the hoof cuttings they scarfed down when the farrier visited :dead:

county:
my vet used to have to lock his JRT in the truck when he did geldings -she was getting too fat from eating all the "parts"

Auventera Two
Jan. 8, 2009, 10:33 AM
I don't get "hoof cuttings" because my horses wear their feet through enough movement and riding. I only have to use the rasp when I trim them. I can't remember the last time I had to use nippers on one of my own horses. But yes, the dogs lick up the shavings.

draftdriver
Jan. 8, 2009, 11:33 AM
My dogs love to chew on them. Yes, I've had the occasional barf incident, but heck, the dogs will go out and eat grass and do that on purpose anyway. FWIW, they prefer the horses' trimmings to the donkey's.

horsetales
Jan. 8, 2009, 11:37 AM
My dogs would be heartbroken without the trimmings. I do gather them up and only give them a piece or 2 per day. They would OD left on their own ;)

the_other_mother
Jan. 8, 2009, 08:19 PM
Arent they sharp? Ive seen other peoples barn dogs scarf them up and always wondered why they never cut their tongues or lips. :confused:
For that reason, my dogs dont get them. Poor deprived puglets.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 8, 2009, 11:15 PM
Dogs.

I too gather, save and ration.

Have never, ever had one become sick, though I appreciate the warning that for some dogs it could well be an issue.

Best damn treats they can have--short of carrots.

Carrots are IT. Marrow bone vs. carrot? Carrot wins. *EVEN* hoof trimming vs. carrot, carrot STILL wins. :uhoh: Weird dogs.

2LaZ2race
Jan. 8, 2009, 11:20 PM
I always thought about selling them at the tack store I work at

"Hoof Clippings... now with x-tra thrush!"

My dog would revolt if she didn't get to chew them, she isn't allowed in the barn while the farrier is actually doing his job, but once he leaves and I throw away the metal shoes and nails she can go to town!

amdfarm
Jan. 9, 2009, 09:36 AM
Dogs. My friend's dogs practically catch them coming off the hoof in order to go run and hide and eat their prizes. Frogs are the absolute best. Must be like doggy crack. And these are mostly draft horse feet, so lots of hoof to be had by the two aussies.

My english setter likes them, but not nearly as much as my lab did. She also didn't know what to do w/ the testicles after gelding. Lab promptly showed her, gone in seconds.

If the dogs don't eat them, I leave them.

JSwan
Jan. 9, 2009, 09:46 AM
My dogs LOVE it when the farrier or vet visits. Nom nom nom nom

Happy happy farm dogs. A little smelly, but happy. :)

Hoof trimmings are the least objectionable things those dogs get into. :lol:

county
Jan. 9, 2009, 10:01 AM
J Swan thats exactly what I was thinking!!!!! My dogs love to see the farrier and vet for eats. But birthing season is by far their favorite time of year!!!!!!! With 40 to 50 foals and calfs born a year theres no shortage of disgusting smelly placentas for them to eat.

ManyDogs
Jan. 9, 2009, 10:23 AM
Just about anything is preferable to the disgusting, slimy slugs my JRT would proudly present to me after a successful night's hunting :lol:. We'd feed her a potato chip or two so should wouldn't have a foaming mouth. Uck.
Our Border Collies loved hoof trimmings. Cheese rules with our present dogs.

county
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:31 AM
I gotta ask how does one learn a dog loves cheese? Now I gotta go see for myself.

kateh
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:43 AM
I gotta ask how does one learn a dog loves cheese? Now I gotta go see for myself.

Easy: you feed it to them!

But I think I've got y'all beat for dog's favorite treat: Ready Whip. :lol: Mom taught him to eat from the can (hold can vertically, dog grabs cool whip as it falls off the nozzle). Now all we have to do is shake the can and he comes running from wherever he is in the house. Our vet is a friend of the family, we showed him and he just shook his head and laughed.

Equinoxfox
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:47 AM
PLEASE BE CAREFUL. MY TRAINER'S DOG GOT VERY SICK AND HAD TO BE SEEN BY THE VET FOR THIS. HAD SURGERY OVER 3 WEEKS AGO AND IS STILL RECOVERING.. JUST A FRIENDLY WARNING ;)

county
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:47 AM
Well I tryed the cheese thing. The Bulldog turned around and walked away. The farm dog took it in his mouth then dropped it and walked away. The Black Lab swallowed it whole and begged for more.

JSwan
Jan. 9, 2009, 02:01 PM
Well I tryed the cheese thing. The Bulldog turned around and walked away. The farm dog took it in his mouth then dropped it and walked away. The Black Lab swallowed it whole and begged for more.

County - I had a Basset that LOVED tomatoes. My current dogs seem to be convinced I'm trying to poison them. They take stuff in their mouths, walk behind something and spit it out.

Then they go outside and roll in something or bring home road kill.

Hey - when y'all geld why don't you throw the balls on the barn roof?

Indy
Jan. 9, 2009, 02:01 PM
Dogs.

I too gather, save and ration.

Have never, ever had one become sick, though I appreciate the warning that for some dogs it could well be an issue.

Best damn treats they can have--short of carrots.

Carrots are IT. Marrow bone vs. carrot? Carrot wins. *EVEN* hoof trimming vs. carrot, carrot STILL wins. :uhoh: Weird dogs.

Our dog loves carrots too. They are the best (well, not as good as peanutbutter, but close). When we brought Riley to my mom's for T-giving, she found out he liked them and stuffed him full of baby carrots the entire week...we had to stop this when he started pooping orange. :eek:

county
Jan. 9, 2009, 02:04 PM
On the barn roof?

JSwan
Jan. 9, 2009, 02:05 PM
Some folks throw them on the barn roof for good luck.

I do not do this and don't ask how that tradition came about because I have no idea. :lol:

county
Jan. 9, 2009, 02:07 PM
Thats one I've never heard!!!!! Maybe I should try it and see if the dogs can figure out how to get up there.

Go Fish
Jan. 9, 2009, 02:09 PM
I've been letting my dogs eat hoof trimmings for years with no ill effects. Male Corgi goes and buries them, though (doesn't want sister to steal from him). Then the little varmit remembers where he buried them two months later and digs them up. Now that's GROSS.

gabz
Jan. 9, 2009, 06:02 PM
If you "save" them up and let them shrivel and harden, they last longer when the dogs chew on them.

My aussie LOVED carrots, cantalope, grapes, and apples.
And CHEESE. She was fed cooked rice for her meals.

County - have you never had to give your dog(s) medication? I wrap the pill in a 1/4 of a slice of American Cheese and glomp. no chewing involved.

My siamese cat likes swiss cheese. I only give him a tiny bit occasionally though as I've heard that dairy products are not good for him/ cats.

county
Jan. 9, 2009, 06:13 PM
I give my dogs medication in a little ball of hamburger.