PDA

View Full Version : DRY skin from being out side on the farm

Horsecrazy27
Jan. 7, 2009, 12:37 AM
I have a really hard time in the winter with my skin.....As most of us "farm guys/gals" know that we stick our hands in the water, groom the salty coats, just the wind when we ride....what really works?

mkevent
Jan. 7, 2009, 02:52 PM
There were a couple threads not too long ago(cracked thumbs and I forget the other one). Personally, I love the Gold Bond Ultimate Healing lotion and I wear neoprene waterproof gloves when cleaning tubs/buckets and that has made a huge difference for me. I got mine at LL Bean but I hear Cabellas carries them too. I make sure I moisturize my face every day because windy days will make my face look perpetually embarassed!!

Trevelyan96
Jan. 7, 2009, 03:48 PM
I keep a bottle of baby oil in the shower, smear it on after washing, rinse, then pat dry. It probably doesn't do much from a moisturizing perspective, but it at least keeps my skin from getting dry and itchy.

Ditto on moisturizer on your face, morning and night. I LOFF Olay regenerist products. My hands are the worst... I just don't use hand lotion like I should, even though I keep a bottle on my desk at work.

kateh
Jan. 7, 2009, 07:38 PM
During the winter my skin goes to hell and back. I get eczema and my face gets so dry it peels. My doctor just recommended a (OTC) lotion called Moisturel that can be used all over your body (non-comedogenic so fine for face too). You may have to order it online because apparently the drug store can't re-stock it fast enough.

S1969
Jan. 7, 2009, 08:39 PM
During the winter my skin goes to hell and back. I get eczema and my face gets so dry it peels. My doctor just recommended a (OTC) lotion called Moisturel that can be used all over your body (non-comedogenic so fine for face too). You may have to order it online because apparently the drug store can't re-stock it fast enough.

Ooh, I am going to check thiss out. I've tried everything and the Gold Bond is pretty good, but still every year I suffer. And it's definitely not just being outside that does it - it seems like as soon as the furnace goes on it starts, and not just my hands that are exposed but arms, legs, etc.

Rodeio
Jan. 8, 2009, 10:47 AM
Both my husband and I get the ouchy, cracked hands. We used to love the Gold Bond but this year I picked up a bottle of the Vaseline Intensive Rescue Clinical Therapy lotion. OMG, this stuff is amazing. It comes in unscented which my DH loves! My bottle is 6.8 oz and I got it at Wal-Mart for less than $6. It comes in a box right next to the rest of the Vaseline lotions.

wolfpackfan
Jan. 8, 2009, 03:01 PM
Burt's Bees Hand Salve... that is the best stuff. Made for farmers. You can order from the website just google Burt's Bees.

europa
Jan. 8, 2009, 04:22 PM
I would not be caught without Moisture therapy intensive hand cream from Avon...the stuff rocks and it stays on through a couple of washings. Also, I use the deep moisture Dove body cream in the shower and if I am out of that I slather on baby oil. I itch really badly in the winter and if I do this I don't!! It works.

yellowbritches
Jan. 8, 2009, 06:29 PM
hmmm...sounds like I need to go to Target tonight for some of these supplies! I have an inauguration party to attend next weekend and my skin, especially on my arms, has decided this week would be the week it decides to act badly in the winter (a common winter issue with me). The dress I want to wear is strapless, but I won't wear it if I'm red, blotchy, and flaky! :no:

Thanks for the suggestions, even though I'm not the OP.

dalpal
Jan. 8, 2009, 07:25 PM
Cetaphil for dry skin...hands down!!! I also keep bath oil on hand.

IsolaBella09
Jan. 8, 2009, 09:09 PM
St. Ives Intensive Healing. Works wonders, especially if you put it on right after your shower. Then your skin really soaks it up.

saddleup
Jan. 8, 2009, 09:20 PM
I love the Cetaphil, too. Doesn't feel greasy.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 8, 2009, 11:55 PM
I used to spend big $$ on moisturizers, because I am allergic to a LOT of stuff. (soap, except Dove for some bizarre reason... Ivory's "pure-ness" makes my skin peel off my body painfully :dead: ) most hand creams etc.

Until, someone told me the best secret on the planet:

Extra Virgin Olive Oil at night. Cheap, and the only 'oil' that actually soaks into your skin. You actually absorb some of the nutrients even!

The smell is not strong for the EVO. Not as strong as other Olive Oils. It's not unpleasant, is defintely NOT salad-y. ;)

I use an Avon product for red-irritated sensitive skin sometimes, it's hard to find, so I get a couple of jars when I do get it. I've been wanting to try the Vaseline stuff--one of the commercials during "Deadliest Catch" is lobstermen here in ME.

As far as baby oil--it does't sink it. Yes, it seals in what moisture is there, but has no positive properties, just neutral, and perhaps some bad (petroleum product). If you like the feel and results of Baby Oil--like post-leg-shaving or such--substitute EVO. I promise you'll be pleased.

Bluey
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:42 AM
Don't forget to eat right and stay very hydrated.
That will help your body keep your skin the healthiest and less dry it can, from the inside out.:)

SkipHiLad4me
Jan. 9, 2009, 08:57 AM
Cetaphil and Eucerin were both recommended to me by my dermatologist. I've used both and they work well - absorb quickly and don't feel greasy. I also use baby oil after I get out of the shower at night sometimes. Doesn't work so well if you use it and then need to get dressed to go somewhere as it stays kinda greasy for a while but if you've got time to let it soak in, it's great.