PDA

View Full Version : What should always be kept in a trailer?

mybeau1999
Jan. 6, 2009, 08:44 PM
We brought home our new-to-us trailer today!

I want to start ordering things for it before we start putting mileage on it in march/april. So, what things should I keep in the dressing room for emergencies?

It came with one of the yellow trailer aid things - so we've got one item covered:).

What else?

Jaegermonster
Jan. 6, 2009, 08:51 PM
Fire extinguisher, 4 way lug wrench that fits the trailer (be sure to check), a couple pairs of heavy duty work gloves, some Fixaflat, human and equine first aid supplies (basic stuff to tide you over, incl "feminine" stuff), road flares, a flashlight with some extra batteries, extra fuses and light bulbs for the trailer, a copy of your horses current insurance policy if he's insured, always travel with extra water for your horse in case you breakdown or whatever. You might also want to pack a small box of emergency food for yourself in your trailer, like granola bars, chips, little stuff like that in case you get stuck at roadside somewhere. I usually have a cooler when I'm off with the horses, but you never know.
I have a small compressor that I can plug into my trucks cig lighter to pump up a low tire, and I have a hydraulic jack for the truck in addition to my jiffy jack for the trailer.
I also put together a small tool box for my trailer and I keep a couple of pairs of pantyhose in there. You can make a belt for your truck in an emergency with pantyhose. It won't get you very far, but it can get you to a gas station off the interstate and to safety. I also have a couple of extra hoses for my truck in there. Have never had to use them, so I always keep them in there. the one time they aren't there............
And in my little box with the info about the horses and so on, I havea copy of our current hunt roster and also a list of people I can call that can come get me/my trailer/my horses if there is an emergency.
I also suggest a membership to US Rider if you don't already have one.
www.usrider.org

spacehorse
Jan. 6, 2009, 08:56 PM
Keep a tire wrench thing too, the trailer aid doesn't help too much when you have nothing to get the tire off with...;)

Of course broom and pitchfork.

Spare halter, shank, and or rope.

I also keep a minor tool kit- it has twine, scissors, bungee cords, box cutter type knife, snaps, duck tape!! You never know when you might need this stuff!

First aid kit for the horses- Saline, peroxide, alcohol, TAO, vetrap. Set of polos and standing wraps and bandages. There is more stuff in it, I just can't remember all of it.

US Rider has a good list on their site. I used that and just made some minor add or subtract as I saw fit for my needs.

I am crossing my fingers and toes I can talk DH into a new (or newer!) trailer sometime soon...no dressing room stinks!!

I also have to second the US Rider membership, peace of mind is priceless!!

mybeau1999
Jan. 6, 2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks alot! I will start shopping!
Anyone else with other suggestions?

hosspuller
Jan. 6, 2009, 11:07 PM
Wife & I have the same type cell phone. There is a car adapter in every vehicle in the family. (2 cars & the truck)

Can't call for help if you have a dead cell phone battery.:winkgrin:

silver2
Jan. 6, 2009, 11:16 PM
I would add a tarp so that when you have to crawl under the trailer in the mud to find out whey the lights aren't working you can stay a bit dry (things under the trailer only break when it's raining). Tarps are handy for all kinds of other stuff too.

saddleup
Jan. 6, 2009, 11:38 PM
I printed up an emergency contact sheet, put it in a big zip-lock bag and taped it to the wall of the trailer's dressing room. It has my name, address and phone number, name and number of my vet, emergency contact names and numbers, plus signed authorization for emergency care for the horses if I'm incapacitated from an accident.

mybeau1999
Jan. 7, 2009, 12:09 AM
Thanks again!

Question- What do you keep all of the tool type things in? The only thing I can think of is getting a rubbermaid container and sticking it under the saddle racks - use some normally wasted space.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 7, 2009, 12:15 AM
A GOOD knife, big enough/sharp enough to cut through your lead ropes, ties and halters, NOT in a hard to get place. I often move it to the bed of the PU, just behind the cab when travelling, but it lives in the trailer.

I always keep a set of stuff IN the trailer so I have very little packing to do for shows/lessons... but also some of it is for emergencies, i.e. a couple sets of polos, a set of wraps, extra bridle/reins/stirrup leathers/girth/halter/lead... common first aid stuff you wouldn't find in a kit like corona, tea tree oil, a squeeze bottle of saline. Clean towels.

I like to keep a roll of paper towels and a thing of baby-wipes always in the trailer.

I always have at least an extra sheet and/or blanket...

I keep a seperate, clean grooming kit. I keep a helmet (my 'clinic' helmet) in there.

Sounds like a lot, it's not. One tack box (the one from Home Depot I found out about here!) carefully packed. I've often been able to lend a bridle or girth or such... and so far <knocking wood madly> not forgotten anything crucial.

mybeau1999
Jan. 7, 2009, 09:43 AM
Sounds like a lot, it's not. One tack box (the one from Home Depot I found out about here!) carefully packed. I've often been able to lend a bridle or girth or such... and so far <knocking wood madly> not forgotten anything crucial.

Do you have a link for this box??? I'm very interested if it can hold all of that stuff:lol::lol:

Renn/aissance
Jan. 7, 2009, 02:13 PM
Spare LEATHER halter and good long stout lead rope that you can tie a horse up with. Chain shank as well in case you have to unload on the side of the highway.

First-aid kit for horse and human, including bandages, cottons, a good sharp knife or scissors, triple antibiotic, gloves, vetrap, Ace wrap, hydrogen peroxide or saline. I personally don't carry Banamine at the moment but have been thinking about bringing it along.

Bottled water (for you, for horses, for cleaning wounds.)

Trailer jack, wheel chock, lug wrench, hammer, screwdriver, spare tire in good condition. Check your spare every time you give the trailer a full cleaning out!

WD40, duct tape, and baling twine. (If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape it. If it doesn't move and it should, WD40. Process greatly improved if swearing is incorporated. Baling twine can temporarily repair halters and can be braided into a lead if you're desperate. Or a belt. Or a rope to tie your top door back when the snap breaks when you're on the highway and starts banging against the trailer.)

Horse cookies, peppermints, grain (check the grain!) for when the trailer is stopped on the side of the road and the horses start to think about getting upset. I find that as long as they're not doing anything dangerous, hopping up into the trailer with them and offering nummies generally distracts them enough for them to relax.

Information (coggins and vaccination records) for every horse in the trailer along with owner's emergency contact information.

The phone numbers of at least two people who are good with trailers. Funny story (well, maybe it's not so funny.) My mother was shipping a horse and a pony back home from a horse show when a trailer tire blew out on I83. She was near a ramp thankfully and got to the side of the road safely. Not only had she not checked her spare tire and it had dry-rotted, but she also had no idea how to change a trailer tire (which I wish I had known beforehand, since I do know). I was her first emergency contact and she couldn't reach me, so she called a friend, who came out and gave Mom her trailer's spare and showed her how to put it on. Thanks to the friend, they got home safely. Without the friend, I suspect that Mom would have read the trailer manual and eventually figured out how to change the tire, but who knows how long it would have taken and what the horses would have done.

USRider. It's like AAA for horses and trailers, except they actually come when they say they will rather than five hours later. We've only had to make the call once, but I really liked that when they answered the phone, we got a live person who said, "This is USRider. Are your horses OK?"

jazzrider
Jan. 7, 2009, 02:19 PM
We use two muck buckets for our stuff -- it's easier to find things and usually we're in a hurry. We use a small cooler as our bench, and we've strung a lead rope across one wall, to hang extra saddle pads on.

I'm not sure if anyone has said these things yet -- but aside from the usual horsey stuff (first aid, grooming stuff), don't forget a bottle opener, knife, toilet paper, and a bunch of leftover bags from grocery store (for garbage or waste removal). Also a flash light and a box of granola bars stored in a tupperware container (you have no idea how many times we've been thrilled to have them).

We also have "trailer tack" -- stuff we keep on the trailer all the time and don't really use(usually it's old stuff), for emergencies. These include an extra set of reins, a bridle for the two we trailer most, a bit or two, extra lead ropes, two saddle pads, and a fleece cooler.

I'm not sure how we fit everything, but we do! :winkgrin:

farmgirl
Jan. 7, 2009, 02:29 PM
I agree re: US Rider. I had Triple A, blew a tire on the highway, and called them. They absolutely would not touch the trailer even though I had 'gold' coverage or whatever they call it. The next day, I purchased US Rider and cancelled TA, and, of course, told them why. US Rider will also cover your car.

BeastieSlave
Jan. 7, 2009, 02:54 PM
Be sure your tire tool fits the lug nuts on your trailer. All tire tools are not the same and do not assume the tire tool that works on your tow vehicle will work on your trailer.

Trevelyan96
Jan. 7, 2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks again!

Question- What do you keep all of the tool type things in? The only thing I can think of is getting a rubbermaid container and sticking it under the saddle racks - use some normally wasted space.

I have a great little wheeled tool trunk that DH found for me at Sears. It's just large enough for a first aid kit, some tools, and spare halters. It also makes a really good mounting block at shows.

Its about the size of a medium size rubbermaid tub, but much sturdier and weatherproof. It even has a removable, handled container that is almost exactly the size of a grooming tote.

ETA: Also.. don't forget to pack some extra bucket hooks.

mkevent
Jan. 7, 2009, 05:09 PM
Don't laugh- a porta potty!! It's come in handy on so many occasions-especially when my girls were little-and it's a heck of a lot cleaner than some gas station restrooms!

Guin
Jan. 7, 2009, 06:05 PM
TWO Flashlights with extra batteries. (One for you to hold, one for your helper to hold.) One of those "survivor" tools they sell on TV that can break glass with one end and saw through a seatbelt with the other. (If it can saw through a nylon seatbelt, it can go through a leadrope.)

A new, unopened package of nylon or cotton clothesline. Great for emergencies when you need to tie something shut! (Don't get the plastic-coated kind - too hard to tie knots in.) A pair of kitchen scissors (poultry shears are good - they cut anything.)

Two sealed gallon jugs of water. A bottle of ibuprofen (Advil.) Vet wrap. An extra halter/leadrope. A set of nippers and a claw to pull a shoe if necessary. Shovel to remove poop.

Extra, dry, warm socks and a spare set of warm gloves (keep in a ziplock bag so they stay dry.) :D

Practice changing a tire while you're in your driveway - don't wait to figure it out when you have an actual tire emergency!!!!!!!

Guin
Jan. 7, 2009, 06:08 PM
I can't stress this enough so I'm saying it again: PRACTICE CHANGING A TIRE IN YOUR DRIVEWAY!!! That way you'll know the exact tools you need and can keep them all together. You don't want to have to figure this out in the dark, in the rain (you KNOW it will be dark and raining!!)

SerenaGinger
Jan. 8, 2009, 10:00 PM
Orange safety warning triangles!

Very useful when you have to stop somewhere with low visibility. They make folding ones that don't take up much space.

paintedtrails
Jan. 8, 2009, 10:14 PM
Good stuff to know:) I want to get a US Rider policy, have 1 little question: Does it go yearly and renew when you activate/sign up or is it by calendar year?

4Martini
Jan. 8, 2009, 10:28 PM
a Small pipe that fits over your tire iron can make it easier to get lug nuts off. I have a small pipe I use for my weight distributing hitch and it makes the job soooo much easier and faster. A lunge line or two is never a bad thing to have around.

Ditto info on who to call. Corkscrew - or remember to bring screwtop bottles of wine.

Also- I got some cute magnetic picture frames and throw rugs that make it much homier. The throw rugs are awesome too b/c they are so easy to pick up and shake out to get dirt out.

A magnetic white board if you travel with others so you can leave notes for eachother.

Sunscreen, bug spray and wasp spray for the trailer (the wasps love to make nests in the handle to my tack room door...)

double ended snaps - I just leave a bunch in the trailer.

Curley07
Jan. 8, 2009, 10:45 PM
We pack everything in rubbermaid tubs.. show box (halters, grooming supplies) vet box (all that you need including twitch), horse box (extra stable halters, blankets etc), wash box, some other boxes that are breed specific supplies... easy to grab and dependant on the show (overnight or not). Extra leads are hooked at the back of the trailer.

I'm a worry wart, so I keep a small veterinary box and lead packed under the seat of the towing truck (it;s always the same truck) that contains tranquilzer shots.. in case of a real traffic emergency. Thank goodness have never needed it.

shakeytails
Jan. 9, 2009, 01:40 AM
I carry all kinds of stuff in my trailer, most of it previously mentioned, but the thing I consider most essential is enough lead ropes for each horse in the trailer, and at least one extra halter.

MissintheSouth
Jan. 9, 2009, 11:16 AM
Tiolet Paper or something that can be a reasonable substitute when you are parked out in the boonies or on the side of the rode and Nature calls!

Always have first aid for people in the trailor. Even if there are no horses involved, one can still get hurt!

One year down in Wellington, we were parking the big rig out in the old parking area that was flanked by canals (which made parking a nightmare). Mom was in back directing trainer who was driving. A chicked was stupidly standing right where the trailor was headed and my mom (not thinking much of it) went over to shoo the dumb thing away so it didn't get squished (hindsight being 20/20 it would have been better if we had just run over the darn thing). Well the chicken was actually a fighting Gamecock that belonged to whatever redneck POS lived next to the parking lot. It attacked my mom, who luckily was in jeans. The thing ripped her legs up pretty good, finally after a few hearty blow with the trailor broom it flew away. We had to clean and wrap her legs with polos, and then headed to the hospital where they stitched her up and gave her a miriad of shots so she didn't get rabies and other scary things. Needless to say, it was the wierdest trailor accident I have ever had!

mybeau1999
Jan. 11, 2009, 02:30 PM
Just a bump... I'm going shopping tomorrow for trailer things and just wanted to see if anyone else had any other suggestions:)

asterix
Jan. 11, 2009, 11:52 PM
bandaging materials -- if your horse gets cut up, you need to be able to STOP the bleeding!!!

This is not something to purchase, but check your lugnuts before you go anywhere -- I once had a flat and could NOT loosen the lugnuts for love or money -- they had been put on with a torque wrench and I suspect even a linebacker couldn't have loosened them without a power tool. Luckily I was at a major horse facility and the maintenance guys came with power tools to help me out. After that i made sure I can loosen them myself before I leave the barn!

HoneyMelon
Jan. 23, 2009, 03:08 PM
Drugs, tranqs, banamine, ace, dormosedan, torb. If you are having an emergency and get stuck and it is imparative that your horse does not move you need to drug it. Like when I got stuck going up a big hill and my trailer jack knifed on the ice and one wheel of the tire was hanging over tree tops, happened to be the side the horse was on. Very scared for any movement till the nice tow truck man came.

snbess
Jan. 23, 2009, 03:36 PM
I can't stress this enough so I'm saying it again: PRACTICE CHANGING A TIRE IN YOUR DRIVEWAY!!! That way you'll know the exact tools you need and can keep them all together. You don't want to have to figure this out in the dark, in the rain (you KNOW it will be dark and raining!!)

I will second this. I had the joy of changing 4 tires last summer - not all at once and always at my house - the old tires kept picking up nails. When I went to change the first one, I realized the jack I thought would work didn't, so I found one that would. Figured out where I could put it and still be able to get the tire off. Got much faster at it all by the 4th tire change. Now I have new tires, so I'm guessing all that good experience will rust again for awhile. One can hope.
Sandra

equusvilla
Jan. 23, 2009, 04:09 PM
Maybe I missed it - but I don't remember reading what kind of trailer you have...or more importantly - how much extra room you have ..ie gooseneck or bumper pull, tack room or not..

Anyway - having things stored properly is just as important as what you have. I mean if your WD-40 sprays all over your granola bars and your toilet paper...well - you aren't going to be happy ..changing that flat tire...in the dark..cold..rain!

If you have a goose neck and could use a step for inside the dressing room, you could use this:
http://horseloversoutlet.com/library/benchwatcad-1-74-2.jpg
which is a step, a bench, a water trough, could even be a cooler.

Having this attached to a wall is better than tripping over your trailer aid.
http://www.smartpakequine.com/images/product/thumbnails/thumb_TrailerAidHolder.jpg

I agree with the poster who advised using plastic tubs, but go even further and put things in zip lock baggies that could leak and then put them into the tubs. That way if something does leak, it is at least contained. If you are lucky enough to have a tack room ...with a bit of extra room, it sure is nice to have an attached clothes rack that you can hang your show clothes on.

Come back and tell us what you bought...and thanks for posting this. It reminds me that I need to check my supplies in my trailer!

...and if you do break down and have to wait for someone to come and assist you...don't shoot the idiots who will wave and honk at you as they drive by. Why do people do that???

equusvilla
Jan. 23, 2009, 04:31 PM
One more thing..a few really big Hefty garbage bags ..just in case you have to bring something back that is really dirty or stinky. It will just help to contain the mess. I one time had to use a big western saddle pad under a tire for traction to help get the truck/trailer out of the mud. It worked great...but the pad was a mess that I did not want to deal with until I got home.

equusvilla
Jan. 23, 2009, 04:46 PM
Cool - look at this water container. I want one!!!

http://horseloversoutlet.com/pro457130.html

lizathenag
Jan. 26, 2009, 12:41 AM
Your year goes from when you sign up. Mine is in November. It won't be immediately active (you can't sign up and use it the same day). YOu have to wait to get your membership number in the mail. It is worth every penny.

SlobberHound
Jan. 26, 2009, 12:57 AM
I second the porti-potty! I have a *flushing* one. I LOVE it. I also, have a trailer aid(I keep it in my truck, incase I am driving without the trailer and someone is stopped on the side of the road with a trailer and needs help changing a tire). Also, an extra girth, breast collar, and reins, just incase one would break.
And, I never leave home without a bag full of hay and a 10gallon water container for the horse.
Also, a pitchfork to clean up any mess the horse makes.

Maria

Valentina_32926
Jan. 26, 2009, 04:31 PM
Spare:
Lead
halter
Reins
Girth

gabz
Jan. 26, 2009, 07:16 PM
Cool - look at this water container. I want one!!!

http://horseloversoutlet.com/pro457130.html

Um. yeah. they've been around a while. Be sure to get the base that raises it up enough. THe base also serves as storage for your hose. http://www.mulevillestore.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=125

I have one of these coming this week: http://www.mulevillestore.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=120

I am going to strap it to the wall in the back of my 3H slant load GN. I don't have a rear tack.

and I am selling this one: http://www.mulevillestore.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=128 after using it for about 5 years. It is wonderful, but I want more water!!

mybeau1999
Jan. 26, 2009, 07:39 PM
Oh, more suggestions!

The trailer we have has a 4 foot dressing room with 2 saddle racks, 10 bridle/tack hooks and a clothes hanger bar. The spare tire is also in there.

We are still shopping for things, but so far we have:
-An almost completed first aid kit (need tranqs from the vet that I will take along with us when we travel)
-A tool box with basic screwdrivers, hammer, hooks, tire changing things
-A human first aid kit with toilet paper
-Haynets, much bucket, pitchfork, etc.

The only thing I have to add is spare tack, but most likely I will wait until my horse comes home that way I can take inventory when I can move my stuff to the tack room. But everytime we go out I take the list of suggestions from you guys and pick things up:) I need water containers too, I didn't see any at TSC over the weekend... I want the 5/6 gallon kind you can carry.

ttldr1
Jan. 26, 2009, 09:25 PM
I printed up an emergency contact sheet, put it in a big zip-lock bag and taped it to the wall of the trailer's dressing room. It has my name, address and phone number, name and number of my vet, emergency contact names and numbers, plus signed authorization for emergency care for the horses if I'm incapacitated from an accident.

Good for you!!! This is the one thiung that a lot of people overlook and is one of the most important things you can do. I would also include a copy of your horses insurance information (if they are insured) with Ins co 24 claim # & policy #. If they are not insured I would also include on the Authorization form the max. amount you are willing to spend in trying to save the horse. I know no one wants to think about it and will say "whatever it takes", but that is not always realistic and everyone who owns a horse has to sit down and come up with an amount that they can spend on emergencies.