PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question of the day - how many bales...

SCF01
Jan. 6, 2009, 01:38 PM
Do you think you could fit into the average 2 horse trailer?

MajMeadowMorgans
Jan. 6, 2009, 01:52 PM
I think we fit 36ish in ours a couple of months ago. Hope that helps!

SCF01
Jan. 6, 2009, 01:56 PM
Yes, that helps. Thanks. I was debating picking up hay or having it delivered. Looks like I'll get it delivered.

poltroon
Jan. 6, 2009, 01:58 PM
What size bales? :-)

Find a sample bale. Measure it.

Measure your horse trailer. An additional factor would be whether there will be dividers in the trailer when you are trying to put hay in it.

From that, you will be able to figure out, volume wise, how much hay you can put in.

There is also the factor of weight. I think hay is probably of a density that you should not be able to overload your trailer, but it's worth doing the math. I certainly know you can overload a horse trailer with books. :D

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jan. 6, 2009, 02:13 PM
Last weekend, we fit 30 fairly large square bales into my neighbor's two horse. We could've fit maybe a half dozen more if we'd been careful about stacking tightly and if either of us could lift a large square bale over our heads.:)

Bayou Roux
Jan. 6, 2009, 02:30 PM
Obviously, you people were not taught to stack-n-pack by my father! ;) Military training, I think. Every nook-n-cranny...

We get an average of 50 in our two-horse Brenderup, average-size 40# bales.

gabz
Jan. 6, 2009, 02:32 PM
In my old 198? Circle J (7'4" tall) with a dressing room and built-in mangers, I loaded 46 bales one time. !! Yup. Stuffed the dressing room too. I had to stack on top of my step-stool in order to clear the brush box on the inside of the DR door! These were 50-55 pounders. It was stuffed. I took out the divider. One thing about a BP, is you can also pack the bed of the truck!! LOL...

I've been able to load up to 72 bales of hay in my 3H slant GN. and 100 bales of shavings. Not using the DR.

BeastieSlave
Jan. 6, 2009, 02:35 PM
I can fit 48 square bales in my Hawk 2H BP with no dressing room if I take the dividers out. The bales average 50-60 lbs.

SkipHiLad4me
Jan. 6, 2009, 03:44 PM
Forty 50# bales in a 2 horse BP Sundowner is my best. Just be careful because it makes the trailer really top heavy when you have bales stacked high in the trailer. Tows a lot different than just having a horse back there.

Brockstables
Jan. 6, 2009, 03:50 PM
what are you pulling the trailer with? We could get between 36-40 bales in the trailer, and another 50-75 bales on the truck, depending on which truck we used. That was just a short trip, tho.
IF delivery is not too expensive, it sure beats going to play in the cold loading it yourself!
J

SCF01
Jan. 6, 2009, 07:20 PM
Maybe not such a dumb question after all :winkgrin:

The hay guy doesn't deliver and it's only about 10 min away from us. We'll probably use the F350 long bed truck to pull it, so we could fit several bales in the bed too.

yellowbritches
Jan. 6, 2009, 07:31 PM
I think we crammed 40ish into two spots in our big five horse trailer last winter (three horses up front). They were largeish (for East coast bales), and it was about the same space, if not a little less, than our two horse.

BuddyRoo
Jan. 6, 2009, 07:45 PM
I would think you could easily fit 50 bales in the trailer and a good 25-30 in the truck bed.

I can do about 27 on a short bed truck and 50 in a two horse if they're that size.

gabz
Jan. 6, 2009, 07:47 PM
Maybe not such a dumb question after all :winkgrin:

The hay guy doesn't deliver and it's only about 10 min away from us. We'll probably use the F350 long bed truck to pull it, so we could fit several bales in the bed too.

"Several Bales" >.. uh... Yeah, I think you could get a "few" on there.... LOL...
I think I've had 38 in my 6.75 bed on the F150. Problem was ... OVER LOADED. LOL... The truck handled great, but technically, my payload is only something like 1600 or 1800 pounds - the bales were nearly 60 pounds each (fresh out of the field) so I had more than 2100 pounds on there. LOL...

My gf with a 1 ton dually had 85 on her truck once. gads it looked like a Giant Rolling Round Bale coming down the road... it was stacked on the cab and with the tailgate down. In fact, she might even have had a sheet of plywood sticking aways out the back... little cheater that she is. : )

mroades
Jan. 6, 2009, 07:57 PM
I once got 40 bales in the back of my short bed pick up, so...40 in the trailer, 40 on the truck...lots o hay...lol

spacehorse
Jan. 6, 2009, 09:11 PM
I really think we got 60 something in our 2 horse, I guess it is actually a 3 horse slant...

I think it is 16 feet long. That thing was packed! Pretty average size bales, probably 40-50 pounds.

scpezold
Jan. 6, 2009, 09:25 PM
I am almost positive we packed between 55-60 bales in our 4 star 2 horse slant. It is 7'6 tall and 7' wide. The divider was against the wall. There was not a smidge of room left. I think these bales were around 40#.

Ahhhhhh, nothing like loading and unloading an enclosed trailer full of hay in the middle of summer in Georgia to put things in perspective. :rolleyes:

BEARCAT
Jan. 6, 2009, 09:28 PM
I can put 55 bales in the back of my F250, with tailgate down - wish my hay was only 10 minutes away!!! Mine is more like 1 hour - one way...

mtngirl
Jan. 6, 2009, 10:17 PM
Again...depends on size of bales...but...

With the center divider bar out -using my 89 Jackson 2 horse bumper pull with hay bales that are 50-55lbs...between 40-45 bales. It also depends somewhat on how tight the bales are wrapped/tied.

goeslikestink
Jan. 7, 2009, 03:26 AM
Do you think you could fit into the average 2 horse trailer?
i have a rice and i can get 48 in there an ifor willaims i can get 52 it how you pack them
alway pack the front end and this is with aptition still in it
so one standing right upagainst the window at front of trialer, then 8 in front of the partition
then goes behind the brest bar on one side put four side by side on top of one another then stand on those to put 2 more in front then top up that block to 20 dwon one side then another 20 down down the other side

suzyq
Jan. 7, 2009, 10:22 AM
We just got 45 bales in a brenderup. Hay guy couldn't believe it. It has to be packed just right though :)

Trevelyan96
Jan. 8, 2009, 04:12 PM
Depending on the size of the bales, I can get anywere from 50-60 in mine, but I have an extended front with extra wide escape doors.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 8, 2009, 04:57 PM
My Xtra-Tall 2H BP carried 30+ 55# squares a couple winters ago.

Sorry, I don't recall the exact number.

It was too muddy for hayguy to back his wagon into the barn so he hooked up my trailer, filled it and brought it back for me.
The center divider was left in, or he may have been able to squeeze in a few more.

tobruk
Jan. 8, 2009, 08:47 PM
By stacking 11-12-12-9-7 in your truck you easily get 51 without sweating. You'll get another 45 give or take depending on size of the trailer. Pretty good load -and then you get to unload it.

MistyBlue
Jan. 8, 2009, 08:55 PM
Tobruk..that's pretty close to my truck bed stacking method too. Only I do 13 on the bottom of the long bed F250 with the gate down...second row I get 6 down each side and wedge 3 length-wise in the centers and use the 3rd layer to hold the second layer down. I only use the 13,15 and up if I'm stacking a lot though...otherwise I start with 11 on the bottom (gate still down) and go from there.
My hay guy can get 75 in my truck...tight enough for no tie downs either. :eek: That man's a stacking guru...but then I'm also only going 10 minutes away and no highways.

Mali
Jan. 9, 2009, 06:59 AM
My farmer husband can get 58 small sqaure bales (about 45lbs each) in our 2horse Trail-et New Yorker. That's totally stacked to the gills. We have to go fill up again in a few days, we'll see if he can do it again :)

*that was with the divider removed and not one bale went into the dressing room. Hay farm is 10 minutes down the road - straight shot.

MaresNest
Jan. 9, 2009, 02:39 PM
I can do 50 in the trailer and 32 in the truck. However, 32 in the truck has it stacked up really high. Don't plan on driving faster than about 35mph, unless you are particularly adept at tying the bales down.

chawley
Jan. 10, 2009, 06:42 PM
I used to fit 34 70 lbs bales in my old two-horse, which had mangers. I assume a walk- through would fit more.

rothmpp
Jan. 11, 2009, 11:40 AM
I've got a an average width, 7' tall two horse walk through that all the dividers come out of, and I got 55-60 40lb bales into it. Absolutely stuffed.

Touchstone Farm
Jan. 11, 2009, 09:53 PM
55-60 in a Featherlite 2-horse trailer (no mangers), straight load. But as one poster said, be careful driving. It feels a lot different than a horse back there -- more top heavy!