PDA

View Full Version : Rough estimate on cost of running a blood panel?

jaimebaker
Jan. 5, 2009, 10:46 PM
I plan on getting my vet up in the next few weeks to run a blood panel on at least one of my horses. Just wondering what approximate cost generally runs (may have more run if it's not too terrible). Just having him pull blood to check for deficiencies, glucose levels and such (he said it's a full panel that tells ya just about everything).

high hat
Jan. 5, 2009, 11:18 PM
My vet charges around $50 for this.

Simkie
Jan. 5, 2009, 11:23 PM
IIRC, it was about $75 for me...CBC and chemistry.

magnolia73
Jan. 6, 2009, 08:46 AM
I paid maybe $50 for the bloodwork. It's a lot cheaper than bloodwork for cats & dogs for some reason.

SeeHowSheRuns
Jan. 6, 2009, 09:11 AM
I paid around $100 for the full CBC & Chemistry.

Ghazzu
Jan. 6, 2009, 10:20 AM
I'd say between $75-100, depending on what lab your DVM uses, or whether they run it in-house.

msj
Jan. 6, 2009, 10:59 AM
I just had that done in Sept and it ran $55.

jaimebaker
Jan. 6, 2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the estimates everyone!

LarkspurCO
Jan. 6, 2009, 11:48 AM
If there are specific values you're interested in you should ask for them. The last two chem panels I had run (two different labs) covered all the basic values for liver, kidney, electrolytes, calcium, phosphorus, etc. However, they did not include things such as magnesium, selenium or any vitamins.

jaimebaker
Jan. 6, 2009, 12:47 PM
If there are specific values you're interested in you should ask for them. The last two chem panels I had run (two different labs) covered all the basic values for liver, kidney, electrolytes, calcium, phosphorus, etc. However, they did not include things such as magnesium, selenium or any vitamins.

I'm looking for vitamin deficiencies and pretty much thorough workup on one particular horse of mine. I talked to my vet yesterday and he said it will cover deficiencies, liver and kidney functions, glucose levels and the whole 9 yards. I'll double check but I did specifically say I wanted to check for deficiencies and/or vitamin levels to better assess my feeding program but I also wanted a thorough panel for other things if I could get it (this is my first for blood panel work so I didn't know what all it covered).

LarkspurCO
Jan. 6, 2009, 01:16 PM
I am looking to do the same thing and was reviewing recent panels on another horse. One was through Idexx and the other through Littleton Large. I looked at the Idexx "menu" of blood tests and it didn't show anything comprehensive to include vitamins and all the other things these basic panels didn't cover.:confused:

FYI, as far as glucose and insulin, I'm planning to get a separate test using protocol recommended by Dr. Reilly on How to Correctly Test for Insulin Resistance (http://www.equinemedsurg.com/ir6.html).

jaimebaker
Jan. 6, 2009, 04:41 PM
I am looking to do the same thing and was reviewing recent panels on another horse. One was through Idexx and the other through Littleton Large. I looked at the Idexx "menu" of blood tests and it didn't show anything comprehensive to include vitamins and all the other things these basic panels didn't cover.:confused:

FYI, as far as glucose and insulin, I'm planning to get a separate test using protocol recommended by Dr. Reilly on How to Correctly Test for Insulin Resistance (http://www.equinemedsurg.com/ir6.html).

Thanks for the IR link! I'm going to try to schedule the vet to come out in a couple of weeks when my hubby gets back in town. I may have misunderstood him so I will ask again on the vitamin thing and I will see if he sends it off somewhere or if he does it in house. If he sends it off I will get the name of the lab and PM you if it will help:)

LarkspurCO
Jan. 6, 2009, 08:30 PM
Yes, do let me know, or vice versa. Thanks!

FatPalomino
Jan. 6, 2009, 09:52 PM

I know Selenium is a separate test. They are run differently than our regular blood tests. I beleive Antech (another lab) may have even sent the Selenium test to another lab!!! I remember it being expensive, years ago, even at cost to run.

Vitamin/minerals aren't normally looked at when you are running pre-anesthetic blood work, checking organ functions, etc.

FYI, Odds are the machine LL used was an Idexx machine, which was in-hospital.

LarkspurCO
Jan. 7, 2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks FP. I take it you and your dog made it safely back to the island, and none of the passengers were asphyxiated by the dog farts?:D

Littleton does have an in-house lab but their report shows slightly different reference ranges from the Idexx report. Idexx did list other tests available for "exotic species" but I can't imagine it being very helpful for a horse. What's normal selenium level for an iguana?