PDA

View Full Version : The puppies are here!

affirmed
Jan. 5, 2009, 09:59 AM
Hi all....our German Shepherd Dog, Sugar, gave birth to ELEVEN puppies yesterday! Everyone is fine and healthy, and Mom is doing well. Sugar is our farm/protection dog, and Dad is a working police K-9 dog--5 puppies (so far) are going to follow in Dad's footsteps and become K-9 police officers themselves, 2 (so far) are going to follow in Mom's pawprints and become farm dogs...we have waited a long time for these babies...they are named for Marine company names, with a few others thrown in, as my son is a Recruit in training right now at Parris Island, SC, and I did it in honor of he and all who serve...they are: Fox, Bravo, Delta, Lima, Echo, Charlie, Oscar, Kilo, Parris, Semper and little Fidelis.

http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq46/affirmed68/

Yay!
Puppies!

Melissa

Rebelpaintrider
Jan. 5, 2009, 10:23 AM
AWWW!!! Congtats!!! I'd love to have another GSD, Mine will me 2 Jan 23. It's amazing that they are that small, then grow up to be what they are :)

affirmed
Jan. 5, 2009, 10:42 AM
They are amazing dogs!!! Our momma brings me such peace of mind, not to mention she is awesome to snuggle with!

BEARCAT
Jan. 5, 2009, 10:52 AM
CUTE!!!!
Do they change color or stay black?

tle
Jan. 5, 2009, 10:55 AM
OMG they're so cute!!! congrats!

TKR
Jan. 5, 2009, 10:58 AM
I'm soooo jealous!! I have an amazing male GSD from Schutzhund lines who turns 10 this year. I've never participated in any Schutzhund activities, but would love to breed him to a like-bred bitch. GSD's are my dog of choice, they are just the complete dog -- his mission in life is to be with me and he is so smart! Good luck with your babies, just adorable and beautiful mom, too.
PennyG

jherold
Jan. 5, 2009, 12:22 PM
Shepherd puppies are born black. The tan comes later. Thanks for posting the pictures. Although they brought tears to my eyes. Sugar looks exactly like my Becky who passed away in October at 13 1/2 yrs. Especially the ears! Becky's nickname was "Bitch Becky Big Ears"! Thanks for the memories!

affirmed
Jan. 5, 2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks!
All of the puppies will be either black and red or tan--too hard to tell right now--they all have tan-ish markings on their cheeks/above their eyes, feet/legs, chests and rear ends, its just very light right now, and hard to capture in the pics. Both mom and dad are black and red.

J I am so sorry to hear of your Becky. They are special dogs, aren't they?
Sugar has the most ginormous ears...

Dad (Grim) is a Czech import, a Schutzhund III, trained specifically in narcotics and explosives detection.

Mom thinks its her personal mission in life to accompany my 13 year old daughter wherever she may roam...

HydroPHILE
Jan. 5, 2009, 01:35 PM
Shepherd puppies are born black. The tan comes later. Thanks for posting the pictures. Although they brought tears to my eyes. Sugar looks exactly like my Becky who passed away in October at 13 1/2 yrs. Especially the ears! Becky's nickname was "Bitch Becky Big Ears"! Thanks for the memories!

Not all Shepherd puppies are born black actually ;) Some just have more black than others. Black and Tans can be born with tan markings, but yes, German Shepherds' coats change over time - even in a matter of weeks (google "sable German Shepherds").

I have friends that have sable-colored German Shepherd puppies, and the puppies' coats change almost every month. It's lots of fun.

wlrottge
Jan. 5, 2009, 02:31 PM
We're not getting a GSD but we've decided to get a breed that was developed out of and by a GSD breeder, the Shiloh Shepherd. We're excited... and the wait till ~July is going to kill us, lol.

HydroPHILE
Jan. 5, 2009, 03:43 PM
We're not getting a GSD but we've decided to get a breed that was developed out of and by a GSD breeder, the Shiloh Shepherd. We're excited... and the wait till ~July is going to kill us, lol.

Have fun with your Shiloh Shepherd. Not too many serious GSD breeders think highly of them. A friend of mine has a Shiloh Shepherd (and GSDs), and she said, 'well....at least she's pretty' regarding the intelligence level of her Shiloh Shepherd.

wlrottge
Jan. 5, 2009, 04:08 PM
Have fun with your Shiloh Shepherd. Not too many serious GSD breeders think highly of them. A friend of mine has a Shiloh Shepherd (and GSDs), and she said, 'well....at least she's pretty' regarding the intelligence level of her Shiloh Shepherd.

The one that I know personally is AMAZING. VERY smart, very well manered. We'll see how he comes out. I'm not saying that your friends dog is the exception or the rule but most people I've talked to have said the opposit.... ??? I think it's luck of the draw some times.

HydroPHILE
Jan. 5, 2009, 04:12 PM
My opinion was based solely on persons that have owned, trained and worked working line German Shepherds for the past 25-35 years (depending on the person of which I speak).

I'm not a fan of Shilohs as many people market them as "oversized German Shepherds" (which they are not) and use the "oversized" thing as a marketing tool kind of like "oversized Dobermans" or "oversized Malamutes," etc.

That...and I prefer the crackhead-crazed working line German Shepherds that will bounce off the walls without something to do :)

myalter1
Jan. 5, 2009, 04:16 PM
Your female looks so much like my female German Shepherd! What's her breeding? She is lovely.....i have 2, a male (1.5 yrs) and a female (7 yrs), plus a new jack russell puppy....
German Shepherds are great!
best of luck with your puppies!

libgrrl
Jan. 5, 2009, 04:22 PM
Agree with you, HydroPHILE, w/regard to everything I have heard about Shilohs. Most of the marketing I have seen regarding them has focused on aesthetics -- not trainability, intelligence, etc. They seem like a quasi-designer dog to me, unless someone can prove otherwise.

amdfarm
Jan. 5, 2009, 05:39 PM
Also jealous!! But congrats on a nice healthy litter of poopers!! :) The names are great, too!!

I lost my last GSD (coated and beautiful) last summer (well '07) and I miss him so much. He was 13yo and lived a great long life. This is the first time in a long time I've been w/out one and it's just not the same. :(

HydroPHILE
Jan. 5, 2009, 05:44 PM
Dad (Grim) is a Czech import, a Schutzhund III, trained specifically in narcotics and explosives detection.

Does Grim currently live in Germany now? If so...I think I "know" Grim :)

wlrottge
Jan. 5, 2009, 07:16 PM
Agree with you, HydroPHILE, w/regard to everything I have heard about Shilohs. Most of the marketing I have seen regarding them has focused on aesthetics -- not trainability, intelligence, etc. They seem like a quasi-designer dog to me, unless someone can prove otherwise.

I guess it depends on the breeder but the people we've settled on breed their dogs for health (penn hip, elbows, heart and thyroid), temperment and intelligence (so says their site). They have a lot of their offspring that are in search and rescue, therapy, obidience and a few doing agility. They are breed to be different than a GSD as they're not supposed to be working dogs in the same sense.

citydog
Jan. 5, 2009, 07:29 PM
Awww. Lovely pups and sleepy momma. :)

Yep.

I guess it depends on the breeder but the people we've settled on breed their dogs for health (penn hip, elbows, heart and thyroid), temperment and intelligence (so says their site). They have a lot of their offspring that are in search and rescue, therapy, obidience and a few doing agility.

Without seeing dogs with actual titles and recognized certifications, (not just Suzy Puppybuyer took a basic agility class) I'm skeptical as all hell. The Shiloh world is rife with super shady characters.

PonyPile
Jan. 5, 2009, 07:38 PM
Glad to hear they are puppies with a purpose. I like how thier names are the 'code' :lol:

affirmed
Jan. 5, 2009, 08:00 PM
Does Grim currently live in Germany now? If so...I think I "know" Grim :)

Grim is here in Ohio. :)

I like the names too, makes me feel as if I am actually contributing something to my son's effort. :) Not much, but something.

As far as Shiloh Shepherds go, I know a little about them, having groomed a few--I recall the few dogs I have groomed were somewhat "flighty", for lack of a better word. But then again, it may have just been my grooming efforts bringing that out in them, lol. I do think its all individual to the dog. :) I am sure you will have fun with your shiloh, and congrats! For myself, it would be hard to go from a GSD to a Shiloh, or ny other breed, for that matter. Although, shhhh....don't tell that to my border collie.....she was here first.....

HydroPHILE
Jan. 5, 2009, 08:30 PM
Border Collies are in a league of their own :)

How funny that I know a Grim who lived in Ohio...now lives with his owner in Germany...and is a Czech Import, ScH-III, and a working police dog! lol

I <3 Sheppies.

affirmed
Jan. 5, 2009, 08:54 PM
Border Collies are in a league of their own :)

She would never suffer to be named a mere "dog"; she is an entity unto herself.
Smarter than at least half of the people I know. Too smart; I can actually "see" her plotting things out...obedient to a fault, but loyal?? Only if she thought of it first.....LMAO!

wlrottge
Jan. 6, 2009, 11:51 AM
Without seeing dogs with actual titles and recognized certifications, (not just Suzy Puppybuyer took a basic agility class) I'm skeptical as all hell. The Shiloh world is rife with super shady characters.

Well, I've done my fair share of research before sending a deposit. There were some breeders that had good looking dogs but I questioned... well... some of the things I saw.

Here is a link to one of the dogs they breed that does obidience.
http://shaktishiloh.webs.com/

There are several youtube videos of this dog. One good or bad dog does not mean the whole breed is bad and as someone else said, they're all individuals.

Trakehner
Jan. 6, 2009, 11:59 AM
Your girl has a lovely head...her poor teats!

I worked with GSDs when I was in the Army...I was always amazed at their poise and basic nobility when under stress. When the world was falling down, they held their own.

I love a GSD - Collie mix as a farm dog.

Good luck with your new family...cute mom.

Carrera
Jan. 6, 2009, 01:48 PM
WOW 11 pups!! thats a lot of work and a lot of love!!! Congrats!

Re: GSD vs. Shiloh - To each is own... they are "different" breeds from each other... From the same type of relatives, I guess, lets not take away from the cute pups with this!

HydroPHILE
Jan. 6, 2009, 02:15 PM
One good or bad dog does not mean the whole breed is bad and as someone else said, they're all individuals.

Never said that ALL Shilohs were dumb. I was merely stating that the majority of GSD breeders don't look too highly upon Shiloh Shepherds, and I, personally, don't look highly on Shiloh Shepherd breeders who try to market them as "oversized German Shepherds" when they're not. Just make sure that you verify with the breeders the necessary health testing, etc. of the dog's parents, grandparents, etc.

As with any dog breed, there are reputable and less than reputable breeders. To each his own.

Ebvann
Jan. 10, 2009, 10:27 AM
They are adorable, hope you will post pics as they grow! My german is seven, she is recovering from Spinal fusion surgery, were she not a german shepherd and brilliant the recovery period would have been so much worse ( for me and her). She has adjusted to being crated for the first time in 6 1/2 years and understands the importance of minding so as not to hurt herself. They are fantastic dogs, only kind I will ever have. Enjoy!!!

To the MAX
Jan. 10, 2009, 11:16 AM
So cute! Congrats! I have a GSD that we adopted from the Seeing Eye. I love him to death but I think he'll be my last shepherd. He is attached to me at the hip, literally every second that he can possibly be. Right now he is actually laying almost on top of me. When I leave him alone he freaks..doesn't eat etc. He has tons of brains but is completely neurotic. He is just too smart for his own good. He can even open doors (with actual turn knobs). There would be days that I came home from school and he was waiting for my by the end of our driveway, when he had been in the house when I'd left. He would have been such a good working dog. My mom hates him, because he doesn't behave when I'm gone (I go away to college). I always joke that he is going to live to be 20 just to spite her. He's 9 now and looks/acts like a 4 year old. :lol: