PDA

View Full Version : Which product is the best anti-crack cream-balm for hands ?

Wanderluster
Dec. 31, 2008, 11:29 PM
For the new year a resolution to have prettier hands.:D

Chief2
Dec. 31, 2008, 11:34 PM
Neutrogena Norwegian Hand Cream.

fourmares
Dec. 31, 2008, 11:52 PM
Working Hands... you'll find it at the hardware store.

Also mix olive oil and salt to make a paste. Rub your hands with it for 2 - 5 minutes. Rinse with warm water and pat dry.

Simkie
Jan. 1, 2009, 12:01 AM
Also mix olive oil and salt to make a paste. Rub your hands with it for 2 - 5 minutes. Rinse with warm water and pat dry.

For cracked hands, olive oil and a coarse sugar might be less ... stingy. :)

TwoDreamRides
Jan. 1, 2009, 01:19 AM
In our house, we love Crabtree & Evelyn's Gardeners' Hand Therapy: http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/gar47920.html

JER
Jan. 1, 2009, 01:53 AM
I have a lot of experience (20+ years) with this particular issue.

The best hand cream I've found -- by miles -- is Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Fragrance-Free.

That said, it's not enough to keep my fingertips from cracking. I take a lot of omega-3 oils daily -- currently I eat about 1/3 cup of flax seed as well as evening primrose oil capsules -- and that seems to keep the problem at bay. If I stop with the flax, my hands start to crack, badly. If I stop with the evening primrose oil, I get eczema around my eyes. (In case anyone jumps in here with attacks on alternative medicine, both of these oils were suggested by my allergy MD.)

tikihorse2
Jan. 1, 2009, 02:42 AM
I've had good luck with No Crack Cream (stupid name, yeah, but it really does work, and it smells good!)

http://www.nocrack.com

Get both day and night creams. They work very well!

Kim

county
Jan. 1, 2009, 07:32 AM
Bag Balm its used for dairy cattle to keep their utter and teats soft but also works great on human hands.

Hilary
Jan. 1, 2009, 08:09 AM
One thing to avoid if you have eczema is anything with lanolin in it. Lanolin is basically sheep wool grease so if you have any animal allergies this will make things worse.

"gloves in a bottle" helps, as does any lotion with lactic acid - lac-hydrin 5 is the lower dose and "amlactin" has 12% lactic acid which helps soften hardened skin. They are not prescription, but you often have to ask the pharmacist for it.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 1, 2009, 08:11 AM
Cheap solution: Corona ointment - takes a while to work in but it's mostly lanolin and works as an antiseptic too

More bucks but Great Stuff: Burt's Bees Almond Milk Hand Creme - a little goes a loooong way. I use it on my heels too after showering and they are nearly post-pedicure-soft

VirginiaBred
Jan. 1, 2009, 08:13 AM
If you do have fingers that get the splits at the finger tips, start being extra digilent in September by using something with Olive Oil in it (straight Olive Oil works well too) and be religious about applying to hands through out every day. Vaseline works wonders on skin (face, hands) and applying vaseline to hands and sleeping in cotton gloves really helps in soak in.

allpurpose
Jan. 1, 2009, 11:08 AM
Check the recent "Cracked Thumbs" thread. There were some great suggestions on hand care in that one, too.

Weird kitchen hand tip: When you're preparing dinner, rub a little olive oil into your hands like hand cream. Feels good and helps with the dryness! :D

Cherry
Jan. 1, 2009, 03:19 PM
Zinn's Crack Cream.... :uhoh:

Bag Balm is fantastic if your hands are chapped! Just rub it into your hands at bedtime, put on a pair of cotton gloves and in the morning your hands aren't sore.... :eek: ;) :yes:

JanM
Jan. 1, 2009, 04:48 PM
If you don't find the particular cream or lotion you are looking for in the pharmacy area try the infant section next to the diaper area.

There's also a local soap company here that makes something that I sure many other soap or lotion companies have-a gardener's hand creme that's extra thick and for tough cases. I think you really have to try a bunch of things until you get the right one for you.

Quiet Riot
Jan. 1, 2009, 07:24 PM
Gold Bond!:winkgrin:

WendellsGirl
Jan. 1, 2009, 07:43 PM
Bag Balm at night time!

nightmoves
Jan. 1, 2009, 07:48 PM
Neutrogena hand creme and make sure you thoroughly dry your hands after washing then apply hand creme.

tobruk
Jan. 1, 2009, 09:20 PM
Bag Balm here too.

spacehorse
Jan. 1, 2009, 11:08 PM
I third the Bag Balm, and put gloves or socks on.

Ask me how I figured that one out...:lol:

I just noticed Cherry already said that...sorry! :)

bit-o-honey
Jan. 2, 2009, 06:59 AM
Burt's Bees Lemon Balm cuticle cream - smells wonderful! on top of that, Aveno Night Repair cream.

ChocoMare
Jan. 2, 2009, 07:09 AM
Zim's Crack Creme: http://www.crackcreme.com/products/skincare/index.html

When we lived in NY, my dad would get horrible cracks in his hands :no: Eventually he tried this each night:

--soak hands in warm water for 15-20 minutes
--dry thoroughly
--Slather on the Zim's
--Wear gloves to bed
--reapply Zim's before going out into the cold

Solved the problem.

SLW
Jan. 2, 2009, 09:47 AM
Eucerin Hand Repair, maybe it is called intensive hand repair. Great healing lotion that is not greasy- you can thread a needle right after putting it on.

Once those nasty cracks have set in I'll put clear nail polish on them to act as a band aid for the day. Works pretty well and isn't much different than using a human grade suture glue.

horsecents
Jan. 2, 2009, 10:56 AM
I use Gold Bond Softening with Shea Butter then do a parafin wax treatment. Works great plus helps the arthritis!

Wanderluster
Jan. 2, 2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the great responses :) I do need to get some cotton gloves for nighttime. I put superglue on a really bad crack and as gross as it sounds it did help to heal the crack on my knuckle :eek:

camohn
Jan. 2, 2009, 04:44 PM
Another vote for Gold Bond Ultimate cream

merrygoround
Jan. 2, 2009, 04:50 PM
Tried most of the above. :(

Quite by accident (taking care of frequently wet feet) realized that Tinactin seemeds to stop cracks in their tracks. Have used it on several occasions, worked every time, and quickly. :yes:

JeanM
Jan. 2, 2009, 05:33 PM
I've had good luck with "Cut Heal - Nothing Like It". This is a write up on it: "Skin protectant cream works wonders on cracked fingertips, calloused skin, chapped hands and elbows, dry irritated skin and thin, peeling, hard to grow nails. Experience a non-sticky, non-greasy result."

Edited to add: I get badly windburned on my face. If I think to put this stuff on my face before heading outside, it really does protect against the wind.

Wanderluster
Jan. 2, 2009, 08:59 PM
"gloves in a bottle" helps, as does any lotion with lactic acid - lac-hydrin 5 is the lower dose and "amlactin" has 12% lactic acid which helps soften hardened skin. They are not prescription, but you often have to ask the pharmacist for it.

That is something that I really want to try, I watched a segment on homemade cosmetics and remedies and they recommended the acne wipes- I forget the ingredient maybe benzoyl peroxide that sloughs off the dead calloused skin then applying the cream. I also am going to get serious about wearing work gloves to feed and muck, I realize that the cracks begin as a splinter of wood or hay and then spiral out of control after I use something sharp to remove them. It's pretty obvious but I seem to forget to put them on before doing chores, now I have them in a bucket in my hay barn to remind me to put them on BEFORE doing chores :)
I am going to try a number of these products to see which ones work the best for me.

Big Day
Jan. 3, 2009, 06:49 PM
These gloves http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?skuId=427398&productId=427398 at night, with Aquaphor by Eucerin. The best combination I have found, bar none.

Huntertwo
Jan. 3, 2009, 09:25 PM
I put Bag Balm on my hands before working, then put my gloves on.

For home I like Curel.

the_other_mother
Jan. 4, 2009, 07:38 PM
I swear by Bag Balm........and I've tried ALOT of stuff!:yes:

Wanderluster
Jan. 6, 2009, 02:27 AM
I have a supply of Burts Bees, Gold Bond, Neutrogena, Kerasal, etc. in my unscientific search for the best remedy for dry cracked skin the first results are in. The cracks and callouses on my hands are improving and my skin is softer. The cure seems to be to goop my hands liberally with restorative salve and wear the cotton gloves overnight. As if I weren't sexy enough before.

linquest
Jan. 6, 2009, 02:45 AM
Neutrogena Norwegian Hand Cream
No Crack Cream
Burt's Bees Almond Milk Hand Creme
Vaseline
Zinn's Crack Cream
Bag Balm
Burt's Bees Lemon Balm cuticle cream
Eucerin Hand Repair
Gold Bond Ultimate
Tinactin
Aquaphor

None of these work for me :( I also have this weird patch on one knuckle that cyclically itches, swells and cracks (I have eczema pretty much everywhere else too). Drives me crazy! Looks like I have some new things to try here. Buying all these creams/ointments is getting expensive though, especially since most don't work for me :P

jeano
Jan. 6, 2009, 07:44 AM
Another vote for Bag Balm and socks or mitts on the hands overnight. Also BB is great stuff to put on your face (cheekbones, chin etc-) if you are going to be working out in severe cold or drying wind. Really prevents chapping and windburn. I have used it on horrible heel cracks (human not equine) too.

Angela Freda
Jan. 6, 2009, 10:45 AM
Cheap solution: Corona ointment - takes a while to work in but it's mostly lanolin and works as an antiseptic too
rub it into your horses coronary band and then massage the rest into your hands each day.

Angela Freda
Jan. 6, 2009, 10:47 AM
That is something that I really want to try, I watched a segment on homemade cosmetics and remedies and they recommended the acne wipes- I forget the ingredient maybe benzoyl peroxide that sloughs off the dead calloused skin then applying the cream.
Probably salicylic acid or glycolic acid? Both are exfoliants.

Hilary
Jan. 6, 2009, 11:32 AM
Linquest, if you have eczema, that will make everything more difficult -I have it too, and my knuckles get very raw,cracked etc - half those creams will make the eczema worse - especially cornona, bag balm - anything medicated.

Plain vaseline or olive oil helps when I'm having a flare-up, and the lotions with lactic acid can help break down the thicker skin which is what causes the cracking. And sometimes a lotion that worked great for a year suddenly causes a flare-up. It's very frustrating. If you haven't seen a dr. for some steroid ointment, that's a first step because all the emmolients in the world don't stop the eczema.

linquest
Jan. 6, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hilary- the steroidal ointments don't help much either, I think my body just gets used to them too quickly. Vaseline doesn't help much, maybe I'll try olive oil. I thought lactic acid irritates eczema more? That doesn't sound good on an open crack either :eek: It's the bane of my existence too!

pema
Jan. 11, 2009, 10:34 PM
DITTO! Neutrogena Norwegian Hand Cream. Could not live without it. Give it a try!

AiryFairy
Jan. 12, 2009, 06:58 AM
Kerasal, or rather CVS' generic version of it - the only thing that keeps my heels from cracking in the winter, so I am keeping a tube in my purse to try to get rid of finger cracks as well.

Bogie
Jan. 12, 2009, 07:05 AM
I keep two jars of cream in my car: One shea butter, one cocoa butter. I make sure that I cover my hands with one of the two and rub on my face before getting out of the car. I wear gloves all the time at the barn in the winter.

I should probably wear cotton gloves over lotion at night, but I just coat my hands and hop in bed.

Maythehorsebewithme
Jan. 12, 2009, 07:25 AM
I have two solutions that work for me:
1. Upscale solution: A product called "Surgeon's skin" is excellent. You can get info at surgeonsskinsecret.com. It is not cheap, but it is really good.
2. Cheapo solution: Plain old petroleum jelly. I smear it on at the barn-so what if I end up with greasy hands that have shavings stuck to them? Later, at home, wet your hands with a few drops of water and rub a little pet jelly into them. Not as obviously greasy. I also use it after a shower-while body is wet, rub with a tiny bit of pet jelly. It keeps off the winter itch.
The petroleum jelly solution I got from ultrarunner friends-people whose idea of fun is to go for a forty or fifty mile run in the middle of winter.

horsey nurse
Jan. 12, 2009, 01:45 PM
I've had good luck with No Crack Cream (stupid name, yeah, but it really does work, and it smells good!)

http://www.nocrack.com

Get both day and night creams. They work very well!

Kim

This is what I use, and as an ER nurse I can tell you it works great! It also doesn't leave your hands greasy.

angrychinchillas
Jan. 13, 2009, 01:01 AM
Just a sidenote, be uberly cautious about applying lotion and then wearing gloves. I've heard of an incident where someone did this, and then peeled off the gloves in the morning - along with the top layer of her callused skin.

I don't really have much to add to the list of suggested remedies except Badger Balm, which does not contain lanolin - "Organic extra virgin olive oil, beeswax, castor oil, aloe vera, and essential oil of sweet birch" says the ingredients list. And it's marketed for cracks.

Also, Wanderluster, why would you think using superglue on cracks is gross?

"During the Vietnam War, it became apparent that cyanoacrylates could be used to treat war wounds. Field surgeons began using the substance by spraying it over open wounds, which stopped bleeding instantly and allowed hurt soldiers to be transported to medical facilities for conventional treatment. This saved many lives during the war and lead to the eventual approval by the FDA of cyanoacrylates for certain medical uses. Some of these include rejoining veins and arteries during surgery, sealing bleeding ulcers, punctures or lesions, stopping uncontrollable bleeding of some soft organs, and use during dental surgery." From here. (http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/coover.html)

It's one of superglue's intended purposes! (As all braiders know. And trust me, it gets used a LOT for gluing cracked fingertips.) :cool:

Wanderluster
Jan. 13, 2009, 09:27 PM
It was gross because the skin that I ripped on my knuckle got really red and swollen and the layer of glue turned yellow and stuck out like a growth. But it healed like a charm which it did not do before the gluing.
Incidentally I have now used the cotton glove treatment on under work gloves and find it is working really well. I just could not get used to the cotton gloves at night. My hands will never be in a commercial unless it's the before picture but they look much better and my nails are better as an added bonus. :)

justonemore
Jan. 13, 2009, 09:54 PM
Another vote for Gardener's Therapy from Crabtree & Evelyn...I don't know if it actually does anything to heal hands but it feels great on dry skin and doesn't have a strong smell.

godoget
Jan. 13, 2009, 10:00 PM
When I've had really stubborn cracks, Neosporin has done the trick. I read about it in Peoples Pharmacy or something. Some of the persistent cracks are apparently caused by a skin infection.

Alibhai's Alibar
Jan. 14, 2009, 12:05 AM
Avon Moisture Therapy Hand Cream (http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?src_page=product_list.aspx&level1_id=300&level2_id=303&pdept_id=346&dept_id=&pf_id=5905) is the best I've ever used. I've got a bottle in every room in the winter :D It goes on a little thick but if you apply it before bed, you'll feel a definite difference in the morning.

Wanderluster
Jan. 15, 2009, 04:16 PM
I ordered a 16oz. jar of surgeons skin secret from QVC just because the customer feedback was so impressive, I like the idea of it containing beeswax which should help to seal in the moisture. It shipped out yesterday so I will continue my independent survey and report back. BTW it was about $30 including shipping, if it works the price is not too bad. :lol:

Guin
Jan. 15, 2009, 07:29 PM
That no-crack stuff sounds great, but they sure need to update their website. For Massachusetts, they list three Restorations Hardwares - they went bankrupt over a year ago! I might order some from Vermont Country Store.

Guin
Jan. 15, 2009, 07:31 PM
The cure seems to be to goop my hands liberally with restorative salve and wear the cotton gloves overnight. As if I weren't sexy enough before.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bryarpatch
Jan. 16, 2009, 09:40 AM
I tend to crack on the palm of my right hand by my thumb. Guess it's all the times I grab and use the sponge. LOL I like Eucerin Moisturizing Creme, but I buy the generic brand of it. It's really thick and, I will admit, feels a little greasy at first. But it stays on even after washing my hands once.

vineyridge
Jan. 16, 2009, 05:30 PM
It's hard to believe that no one has mentioned Cornhuskers Lotion.

Many years ago, some friends played string instruments and developed necessary calluses. Somehow, Cornhuskers Lotion became a fad and several of them tried it. They had to stop, because the Lotion was softening their calluses to such an extent that it actually hurt them to play their instruments.

Sansena
Jan. 16, 2009, 08:29 PM
Gotta say, I used to swear by Crabtree & Evelyn's Gardener's hand therapy.

I have dishydrosis, a form of excema (which I'm probably spelling incorrectly) and it's exacerbated (another wrong spelling, I'm sure) by the chlorhexadine, alcohol and other caustic things I encounter at work.

Found a $5 jar of something called 'Udderly SMOOOth' at the grocery store last week. Have been slathering it on several times a day and my hands are just about healed. I've also given up coffee, and cut way back on chocolate.. things that perhaps irritate my condition. But hey, coffee's a diarrhetic (spellcheck please).. so it would stand to reason it'd make my skin drier too..

Wanderluster
Jan. 23, 2009, 08:40 PM
Oh Sansena, I just could not do mornings without coffee.
I got the cream and it is pretty amazing, they included a sample of one step manicure and that stuff is great. I sound like an infomercial for Surgeons Skin Secret but the OSM is a salt scrub that smells like lemon and has beeswax and other moisturizers. I'm really seeing the results however if I had been wearing gloves while feeding, mucking, setting fences etc. as religiously as I am now they wouldn't have gotten so ragged. :yes:

JER
Jan. 24, 2009, 11:34 PM
Linquest, if you have eczema, that will make everything more difficult -I have it too, and my knuckles get very raw,cracked etc - half those creams will make the eczema worse - especially cornona, bag balm - anything medicated.

This is probably due to the lanolin content. People with eczema often have allergies and lanolin is oil from sheep's sebaceous glands. Which makes lanolin a major irritant to many people. If I put Bag Balm on my hands, they turn bright pink and itch like crazy.

If you haven't seen a dr. for some steroid ointment, that's a first step because all the emmolients in the world don't stop the eczema.

But beware of the cortisone creams. Topical steroids may bring relief in the short-term but chronic use (and not very chronic use in some people) can damage the skin. Doctors are unfortunately often lax in telling this to their patients with eczema and non-specific dermatitis.

tikihorse2
Jan. 24, 2009, 11:48 PM
That no-crack stuff sounds great, but they sure need to update their website. For Massachusetts, they list three Restorations Hardwares - they went bankrupt over a year ago! I might order some from Vermont Country Store.

It's worth it! Be sure to get the Day and Night creams, not the All Purpose cream. You might also see if Walgreens.com sells it, or CVS.com, or Osco.com, as they often carry it around here. Might be cheaper than the Vermont Country Store.

Kim

myster
Jan. 27, 2009, 04:42 AM
Milking balm as used for cows udders etc - also great for hooves, mud fever, sweet itch......and 101 other things!!

Party Rose
Jan. 27, 2009, 11:00 AM
Just started using ShiKai ~ Borage Dry Skin Therapy a few days ago. Seems to be doing good things that no other product has been able to do. Bought it in "Henry's" a San Diego Health Food Store.

"Ideal For Dry Skin Conditions Caused By:
Chronic dry skin
Chemical exposure
Diabetes
Eczema
Atopic dermatitis

Just put some on and it's silky smoothe to boot!!!

veebug22
Jan. 27, 2009, 11:02 AM
Another vote for Gardener's Therapy from Crabtree & Evelyn...I don't know if it actually does anything to heal hands but it feels great on dry skin and doesn't have a strong smell.

Another vote here, love the stuff!!

Frank B
Jan. 28, 2009, 08:58 AM
Try some of the diabetic creams. FWIW My wife has had good luck with ones from Walter Drake. (http://www.wdrake.com/WalterDrake/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?CID=Personal+Care+%26+Apparel&SCID=Footcare&CollectionID=K80DFHBC&SourceCode=WDK_SDX) BTW, she's not diabetic.