PDA

View Full Version : young corgi needs surgery..anyone have this experience?

mammadoc
Dec. 31, 2008, 01:23 PM
i have a young (6) corgi that has been diagnosed w/ bilateral luxation of the tendons of the digital flexor muscles, possible lateral tear in left. has developed a plantigrade stance (hocks dropping right down). we are taking her to cornell for a surgical consult early in january. she is not in pain, just "off" in hq's when moving. keeping her activity level down and she has ramps to the couch and our bed. anyone have any experience w/ this type of condition in any type of dog? she came from a very reputable breeder, did all of my research, watched her dogs perform and talked to several that had purchased a pup from her- she has bred many top performance dogs. i had to jump through many hoops to even be *considered* to buy one of her pups- which i welcomed as it assured me that she really does care about her dogs. we have always been very careful when she was young(and always) about jumping down from furniture, stairs, etc.,- standard stuff w/ a long-backed, short-legged dog. she has also been on joint supps since she was 2. any info/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

mammadoc
Dec. 31, 2008, 02:46 PM
i know lots of horse ppl have corgis. i'm worried about my girl, not to mention trying to figure out how to 'budget in' what i'm sure is going to be a hefty tab for the procedure. my horse is not allowed to have any problems anytime soon~!

mammadoc
Dec. 31, 2008, 04:40 PM
put this thread in the wrong place initially. sorry.

Guin
Dec. 31, 2008, 04:51 PM
Have you contacted her breeder? Who diagnosed this? It sounds like they're trying to get several thousand dollars from you in surgery fees. I'd go get a second opinion before agreeing to this sort of radical surgery in a young dog.

ETA: Excuse me, is she six months or six years old? I was reading this as six months, but maybe I am mistaken.

mammadoc
Dec. 31, 2008, 05:31 PM
hi guin- sorry- 6 yrs.! i agree w/ your thoughts if she was 6 mos.! yes, have contacted breeder. my local vet- who does do ortho surg., said he "feels comfortable doing the procedure, though has not done many of this particular nature"- offered up the 2nd opinion at cornell which we are lucky to be 30 min away from. soooooo- we are exploring options but her stance is so severely plantigrade now that i pretty much feel that stabilizing those tendons surgically is looking like what we're going to have to do. this little girl has been dabbling in agility and has shown great promise....we want to make her as sound as possible so she can dash about w/ her buddy as usual! (hopefully "recreational" agility as well, we have all the gear set up in our yard...) thanks for the response.

mkevent
Jan. 1, 2009, 10:23 AM
Being a corgi lover (we have 3)-I wish you all the best with your girl. My only other thought is to contact corgi rescues-most of them are breeders and probably would have more of a chance to have heard of the problem-or may be able to put you in touch with someone that has. Best of luck!

mammadoc
Jan. 1, 2009, 02:03 PM
thank you- mkevent- good suggestion. what colors do you have? pems or cardis? i also have a male who is a yr. older than my "little bun"- they are both red/white. i also love the bht's! funny thing is- my girl is on the small side of the breed standard, and marley-the male, is def. large for a pem. (all muscle, though- he's intense when it comes to ball-chasing! :)

mkevent
Jan. 1, 2009, 05:59 PM
All three are red and white. The oldest is from a corgi rescue-she was a breeding dog at a puppy mill for 4 years and was pretty badly treated. The corgi rescue was fabulous and she's been with us since being rescued. She still has alot of fear but has been coming around. I think I read somewhere that for every year of abuse it is three years to undo it and I would believe it. My other two are brother and sister from different litters-we tried the agility thing for awhile(for my daughters, not me-horses are enough) but the male was too naughty/smart for his own good-now they just keep us company and herd the house cats!!

2ndyrgal
Jan. 3, 2009, 08:14 PM
But I do have the world's smartest most wonderful show quality male Pembroke. What I noticed when I was looking for "girlfriends" when I was going to breed him was some of the "smaller than breed standard" females had very long backs and poor hindquarters, I turned them down sharply, as I had no desire to breed to a bitch with inferior conformation. Which may not be what you have, don't get me wrong, just that when some breeders started to breed "smaller" corgis, the conformation and structure started to suffer. Cornell is supposed to be really good, but since you will likely spend thousands, I'd research what the good vs bad outcome percentages are, and try to get someone that's done as many successful of these types of surgeries as possible. Good luck. My corgi is heavy on the herding, sis's corgi (his younger brother) is a manic for fetching the ball and will do it til he drops! They are great fun. My boy is a gorgeous sable corgi with more presense than any animal I've ever known. Way too smart!!

Go Fish
Jan. 3, 2009, 09:03 PM
I've had Corgis for over 40 years and never heard of this. Did your vet tell you this was a condition (hereditary or otherwise) in Corgis or "just something that happened?" Could it have nutritional causes? In any event, hoping everything turns out okay.

I currently have two - both Tri-colored, which are my favorites. Sister and brother out of different litters. Mine alternate between acting like maniacs and bed slugs.

mammadoc
Jan. 6, 2009, 11:34 AM
2nd- nope- breeder is not trying to produce anything but the perfect standard size corgi. my girl just happens to be on the small end of the size spectrum. and *yes*- they are way too smart!!

Fish- my local vet suggests that this is a genetic condition or "something that just happens" (vet term for 'we don't really know'= idiopathic)
it's def. not a nutritional issue. i am so insanely anal about diet and supps for my dogs and horse- always have been- and i have had her since she was a puppy. she has been on vit. c, e and joint supps since she has been 2 as well.

so true about the "on/off button" aspect of corgis! to me, that is one of their best attributes!!!!!!!

thank you for the responses, i will post back after the ortho consult at cornell which is on the 13th.

mammadoc
Jan. 13, 2009, 03:02 PM
just bumping, last time, i promise. consult at cornell is tomorrow morning.

equusvilla
Jan. 13, 2009, 03:20 PM
Okay - so now I just read this after I responded to your comment on my thread. I have never heard of this either. I have owned Corgis - both show quality to pet quality for 27 years. I am anxious to hear what they say. I pray that all goes well...Corgis are happier when they can chase and play!