PDA

View Full Version : so, uses for this....

pintopiaffe
Dec. 31, 2008, 01:59 AM
I am a serial killer.

Of extension cords. Sometimes I don't know why they die in my care, other times I am an outright murderer with the plow, snowblower, etc. The dogs are enablers. Occasionally they tangle their tie out with the cords. Resultant kinks apparantly kill... :uhoh: Some die quite mysteriously with no visible seperation or kink... and yet, the fencer no longer clicks, or the water ices over.... <insert heavy, dramatic eerie music>

Since it's a 75 foot run to the fence charger and a 100' run to the stock tank heater, I have hundreds and hundreds of feet of dead orange cord. Some pieces longer than others. (see above re: snowblower/plow)

It seems like there MUST be some use for it???

So far the only thing I've come up with is jury rig 3 & 4 'strand' gates for perimiter fencing (which has no charge anyway... visible to humans, but I dunno about deer, moose or bear... And to string a PVC pipe on to cross the driveway for temp fencing when I let them out to graze...

Other ideas? Uses? If it weren't so dag nab hard, I'd strip the damn stuff for the copper. :D

Bluey
Dec. 31, 2008, 06:26 AM
One use, to tie yourself to the chimney when you are trying to stand on a slick metal roof screwing the chimney cap back on, after a tornado took it off.:)

amdfarm
Dec. 31, 2008, 06:48 AM
:lol: Umpteen mini extension cords for the house/barn? :winkgrin: Granted, the rewiring part might not be too fun.

MistyBlue
Dec. 31, 2008, 09:09 AM
Oh good Bluey, I'm not the only one who's used extension cords as rappelling lines. :winkgrin:
PP...I can tell you why your cords keep dropping dead. It's using more than one to span a distance. The more attachments, the less it's useful life if it's outdoors. Each one used when it's attached has a new spot for moisture to get in. Attaching 2 extension cords to one another does not make a 100% weather/water proof connection. (It also adds new spots for arcs for shorting itself out or giving massive shocks or causing possible fires)
The last place to try to save income is extension cords. Go to an actual electrical supply store and buy an outdoor all weather graded on in the length you need without adding new ones.
Or...rent a ditch-witch and add a narrow little trench from electrical outlet to whatever needs electricity...buy a bunch of 3/4" PVC conduits (they're pretty cheap) and run the cords through the PVC and bury the PVC in the trench. Make sure to attach PVC pipes with plumber's putty to form waterproof seals.

Guin
Dec. 31, 2008, 10:29 AM
I bet you could sell them on Craig's List. Those people will buy ANYTHING!

pintopiaffe
Dec. 31, 2008, 10:52 AM
MistyBlue--nope, I get a single 75 and a single 100'. I don't string 'em together at all.

Sometimes they just die. :no:

If I ever do get a ditch witch for a day, there IS going to be a mini-trench for them.

Meanwhile... Are they strong enough to use as 'rope?' I always need something to pull the round bale off the truck when it's stuck... (the bale, <knocking wood madly> not the truck)

mzm farm
Dec. 31, 2008, 11:05 AM
I don't know what to do with the dead cords, but I have an idea for dead hoses: Split the belly and thread the cord through - less kinks in the cord and a bit of protection from other um, hazards.:cool:

pintopiaffe
Dec. 31, 2008, 11:28 AM
OH-- I have LOTS of those too.

(I have to admit, it took me a minute. I thought that your post said dead horses. And I was really, REALLY "wtf?" :uhoh: :lol: )

tucking the extensions into a hose would protect it from dogs and snowblowers. Mostly. Plows... <shrugs>

greysandbays
Dec. 31, 2008, 12:09 PM
It must be you. :lol: I have extension cords ten years old still working -- and a couple even older than that (but they spent several years hanging in a shed). And I don't take any special care to not have cords joined together.

If you have electric fence, you could cut the ends off the dead cord, strip a few inches of each end, and use them to span gateways (overhead or slightly buried, or run through PVC pipe at ground level), trouble spots where vegitation (like a hedge) makes keeping a bare wire clear impossible, and any place else you need to not have shock/grounding out risk but still need to get current to the other side. (Just test the cord first so you know the problem was in the end attachments, not in the cord itself.)

Just noticed you are spanning 100' to a tank heater. Long distances for heavy wattage can be a killer on cords. Especially if they aren't intended for heavy loads. I think extension cords are color coded by rating, and I'm pretty sure orange is lightweight.

Over the Hill
Dec. 31, 2008, 12:18 PM
Do yourself a favor and go to a nice hardware store, like Ace, and have them make up an extension cord for you of the exact length you need, using heavy gauge outdoor wire. I did this in order to run my pump from my generator after the last power outage. You need to use a heavy gauge wire for outdoor use and the right length lessens the possibility that you'll lose power over the run of it. Make sure that you protect the cord from being stepped on or run over by equipment.

ReSomething
Dec. 31, 2008, 01:15 PM
DH reuses them for all kinds of junk. But the orange ones are lightweight. He makes his own for things like the welder, out of outdoor grade romex, and runs them through that black irrigation pipe. They come in gauges, I think orange is 16, you want 12 or 10. They get spendier then. DH mostly kills his by chopping through them with the saw.

shakeytails
Jan. 1, 2009, 06:01 PM
Do yourself a favor and go to a nice hardware store, like Ace, and have them make up an extension cord for you of the exact length you need, using heavy gauge outdoor wire.

Ditto this! The HD stuff used to be called "SJ" or "SO", not sure if it still is. Splurge on 10g wire, 12g will do- but you'll have less voltage drop with the heavier wire.
And since this wire is kinda expensive, you'll probably be a little more careful with snowblowers and such!

What we'll do with good cords (not the cheapies) when one gets cut or damaged is to buy good ends and make shorter cords. My favorite is one that's about 6 ft. long- it's just perfect for use with my clippers- just long enough to get all the way around the horse, but not so long as to be tripping over it.