PDA

View Full Version : Stray dog update...He's HOME!!!!

jetsmom
Dec. 30, 2008, 07:55 PM
Well, after 9 months, Rusty the Chow mix stray, is home!!!! All 3 of my other dogs like him. He was terrified in the car, but when I got home, I took him and my spayed female GSD mix for a walk together. That went fine (I had taken all of my dogs for a really long walk before I left to go get Rusty, so they were settled down somewhat.
Then when we got back from the walk w/Rusty and Christy, I put my Cocker mix (Snickers) and Yeller (my Golden/Lab mix)behind the pool fence and let Christy and Rusty out back. I put leashes on Snickers and Yeller and took all 4 for a walk. By the end of the walk, everyone was getting along.
Rusty keeps coming in and "smiling" at me. I think he is happy to have a home. It's funny but Yeller, who is 10/11 yrs old and about 110 lbs, many old fractures/bone chips, mangled foot, hip Dysplasia has been following Rusty around nonstop trying to play with him. They're gonna be exhausted tonight!
I'll be taking Rusty to the vet next week for shots/neutering/microchipping.

Thank God I have a wonderful, understanding husband!

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 30, 2008, 07:57 PM
Great of you to save his life.

mybeau1999
Dec. 30, 2008, 08:27 PM
That's so awesome! I was following your story on the other thread and I'm very glad everything worked out for you!

Now we NEED pics:D

jetsmom
Dec. 30, 2008, 08:59 PM
I took some of him out in the "wild", but will finish the roll of film with him home.

SMF11
Dec. 30, 2008, 09:41 PM
Yes, thanks for the happy update -- I was reading the other thread too! And good for you for taking him in, thank you for all your hard work with him.

jetsmom
Dec. 30, 2008, 09:47 PM
He is wonderful! He's following me everywhere, comes racing to me when I call him, and his tail hasn't stopped wagging! He's already figured out how to go out the doggie door, but hasn't figured out how to come in it.

snkstacres
Dec. 30, 2008, 10:37 PM
How heartwarming to go to bed with this story. Hugs to your hubby.

MHM
Dec. 31, 2008, 02:23 AM
I think Saint Francis is smiling down on you tonight. :)

jetsmom
Dec. 31, 2008, 10:12 AM
Aww thanks guys. I think I am the lucky one!

Well, he slept in the bedroom beside his doggie bed. No accidents in the house. This morning, I was worried he would freak out when my husband got up. He was shy, and moved away, but didn't run in terror. Then as my husband was leaving for work, Rusty stood outside the glass back door and watched him. I opened the door and he came in and stood about 6 feet away from him. So, he is figuring this "people"thing out. He used to run at the sight of people from 100 feet away.

He also comes IN the doggie door now.

MHM
Dec. 31, 2008, 11:36 AM
Awww!

If you hadn't already named him, you could have called him Wile E. Coyote. (Or Wild Ex-Coyote.) Super-genius. :winkgrin:

Paddys Mom
Dec. 31, 2008, 02:38 PM
I am so glad to hear that your persistence has been rewarded!
Great job!!!

yellow-horse
Dec. 31, 2008, 02:58 PM
thats great news, sounds like he figured out being a pet is a pretty good deal
i found with my strays they all got along pretty much right off the bat, but the strays i've wound up with were circling the house for weeks so my dogs kinda knew them already

JenRose
Dec. 31, 2008, 05:03 PM
Good job! :D

I also was following along on the other thread. I am so glad he is home & adjusting well!

I have found that my 4 mutts teach my foster dogs about home living better than I ever could. It is so funny how the new dogs will watch and observe what the other dogs do and then they are like "okay I can do that" or "if they are okay with that then I guess I can be be too"...so cute!

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 3, 2009, 10:10 PM
Aww, that is great news! Gives me encouragement about "Angel", that we just need patience and that she will learn to trust us.

Lately she has been a bit more skittish, and I can't get as close to her as I used to. Today my daughter and I took two of our dogs out for a walk, and when Angel spotted us, instead of trying to investigate, she slunk off with her tail between her legs, and neither of my dogs really took much notice of her (they were too busy sniffing all the horse manure).

But. . . two mornings ago, I was doing the morning stall cleaning, and looked up and she was standing at the end of the barn aisle watching me, but as soon as I noticed her and made eye contact, she ran off :(

I'm so glad you were able to convince Rusty to join your pack!