PDA

View Full Version : Golden Retriever Breeder Recommendations?

keeley
Dec. 29, 2008, 08:27 PM
I lost my beautiful Golden girl suddenly this year to hemangiosarcoma at the young age of 9. I still have my older Golden boy who was a rescue. I'm thinking puppy this next time around and am wondering if any of you can recommend a Golden retriever breeder in the NC/SC/VA area who breeds for temperament, health and I admit I'm partial to a big blocky head. Thanks for any suggestions!

scpezold
Dec. 29, 2008, 08:37 PM
I don't know of a breeder but am so sorry about your golden girl. I have an 11yo girl now and not a day goes by when I don't think about her age as well as the thought of losing her. I am so sorry for your loss. :cry:

Bluey
Dec. 29, 2008, 09:53 PM
Go ask your local agility dog club, as so many of those dogs are goldens.
They can direct you to a good breeder of sound dogs, as they have to be to do agility.
Or ask for a referral thru the AKC golden retriever breeder's group, that may also know who has some puppies available or in rescue close to you.
Scroll down to goldens:

http://www.akc.org/breederinfo/breeder_search.cfm

kahjul
Dec. 29, 2008, 10:44 PM
We lost our 12 yo to heart failure in July. Very tough. We're not in your area, but I know a breeder and she does ship. Her name is Ashley Stone and her # is 805 438-5868. We bought ours from her years ago. Her dogs are field dogs mostly-not show, very popular, quiet, but large for the breed. She used to have quite a range of tones (light to dark). She also does all the hip, eye, elbow, etc testing on her breeding stock.
Good luck

ShadowsMom
Dec. 29, 2008, 10:49 PM
We got our golden from Malagold Kennels in Michigan. I know it is not in the area you are requesting, but their dogs are beautiful and healthy, with great temperaments. The vets we have seen cannot believe how mellow our "Treasure" is. The breeder is a judge and has been breeding for many years.
Here is their website: http://www.malagold.com/

simply kim
Dec. 30, 2008, 06:30 AM
Durham Kennel Club has a website and a breeder referrel number. If I were going to buy a Golden I would buy from Sharon Pitz or someone she reccommends. Her contact info is available thru DKC. There are several Golden Retriever clubs in that area. Their info would be available thru the AKC website or the Golden Retriever Club Of America Website.

eventerdrew
Dec. 30, 2008, 12:49 PM
i'm sorry about the loss of your girl :(

I would recommend going through the local humane societies before you go to a breeder, though. Just my personal opinion. I'm partial to homeless animals

dogponyshow
Dec. 30, 2008, 12:53 PM
You could try Sue Nation http://www.lyricgoldens.com/

Guin
Dec. 30, 2008, 06:02 PM
Please look on Petfinder for one of the MANY Golden Retriever rescues in your area. Two that I know of are Neuse River in North Carolina (http://www.goldenrescuenc.org/) and a wonderful woman named Betty who runs Tails U Win rescue in Oak Island, North Carolina, and is a great Golden advocate. In South Carolina on Petfinder I see two Golden organizations, one in Charleston (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/SC90.html) and one in Greenville (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/SC58.html). Please, please consider giving one of these dogs a home. People are giving up their dogs in record numbers because of the horrible economy.

Pippin
Dec. 30, 2008, 06:23 PM
a question re the Golden Retriever... My daughter gave me her pup at 10 months old.. he was digging your perfect back yard ... So he is now mine.. I have two other dogs.. one a yellow lab , getting along in the years and another a aussie/blk lab mix about 3 years old..

What i have found with the Golden now almost 2 years old is he seems to be very needy? Always begging for attention not like the others don't... but he seems to more.. Also noticed he seems to be more laid back .. the other two take their hourly walk around the property 5 acres , checking things out.. he does it twice a day / tops.. when they take off , he sits in the middle of the arena watching and waiting for them..

I understand they are family dogs.. and he is such a peach to have around.. but have never had one and was just curious..

thanks P~

Guin
Dec. 31, 2008, 06:54 AM
Pippin - Goldens' entire reason for being is to please their owner. :) They are velcro dogs, for sure. They want to be right next to you all the time in case you want something. My corgi is perfectly happy outside by herself, or just wandering around on her own errands; ditto my sister's collie and sheltie. My big golden will NOT stay out by himself more than ten minutes without banging the door down so he can be near his people. I think they are the most people-centric dogs around.

:yes::):yes:

Pippin
Dec. 31, 2008, 10:35 AM
velcro is a good answer... no matter where i stand he is sitting on my toes and leaning on my legs.. He loves it when i stand to fill water troughs!~
The other pups come to be petted but leave when i am busy.. not him.. he sits right in front of me just waiting.. I feel smothered at times by him.. velcro / needy ...

thanks .. P~

msrobin
Dec. 31, 2008, 12:40 PM
You should check the shelters. There are tons of them. NC is one of the biggest killers of shelter pets in the worst kind of way. I see them all the time. Puppies and adults purebred. It is so sad.

eventerdrew
Dec. 31, 2008, 03:14 PM
You should check the shelters. There are tons of them. NC is one of the biggest killers of shelter pets in the worst kind of way. I see them all the time. Puppies and adults purebred. It is so sad.

I second that. Shelter dogs can be the sweetest animals on the planet. I just wish more people would look into shelter dogs rather than buying from breeders.

Not meaning to stir up any feelings. just saying....

Jumphigh83
Dec. 31, 2008, 05:33 PM
My girls are pasted to my feet as we speak. I would never be without a golden. Shelter dogs are great but only goldens are goldens. Sorry about your loss....it is so hard.:sadsmile:

Guin
Dec. 31, 2008, 07:08 PM
I think the point is that there are hundreds of purebred Golden retrievers IN shelters that need homes desperately.

rtrules
Jan. 1, 2009, 10:39 AM
Ahhhhhh. Goldens.......His hairy highness warms my feet as I type. Got him from a friend. I think he is the most handsome golden I have had so far, boxy head and all. I love their needy personalities, their loyalty, and at times, their denseness. (If that is a word) Anyway, you could try contacting Delaware Valley Golden Retriever Rescue (www.dvgrr.com) and talk with them. They may beable to help you out.

Bluey
Jan. 1, 2009, 10:53 AM
Getting a rescue dog has it's place, but I would not let anyone talk you out of getting the kind of dog you want.
If a puppy from a good breeder is what you want, that is fine also.

I think it is enabling poor breeding in a world full of dogs, where we euthanize millions without homes for every year, to buy from pet shops, puppy mills, backyard breeders or those selling in parking lots or horse shows.

BelladonnaLily
Jan. 1, 2009, 12:38 PM
I don't know of a breeder but am so sorry about your golden girl. I have an 11yo girl now and not a day goes by when I don't think about her age as well as the thought of losing her. I am so sorry for your loss. :cry:

Same here. My golden girl just turned 11 on Christmas Eve. We just found out a couple of months ago that she has mild cardio myopathy. No medication at this point, but it just made me realize that she is getting older.

Goldens are so special. I'm very sorry for the OPs loss.

keeley
Jan. 1, 2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone, I do sincerely appreciate your condolences. She was my dog of a lifetime and a day doesn't go by that I don't think of her and miss her. One of the times I miss her the most is when I'm cleaning the barn as she was always by my side (whereas my boy is off sniffing/peeing/whatever). I appreciate the breeder recommendations and the suggestions for rescue and will look into all of those. As I mentioned, my Golden boy is from one of the golden rescue groups so it's not that I am not open to that. I adopted him at age 7 and he is almost 13 now so I know I have limited time left with him also. I don't know if I can explain this well but right now I am feeling a need to have this next dog with me for their entire lifetime, the maximum amount of time. Only 6 years with my boy doesn't seem long enough (really none of them live long enough!).

Regarding the Golden temperament... they are velcro dogs for sure and my girl perfected the "Golden lean". :-)

Ghazzu
Jan. 1, 2009, 08:27 PM
I think the point is that there are hundreds of purebred Golden retrievers IN shelters that need homes desperately.

Not in these parts.
And Yankee Golden rescue makes it harder to adopt a dog than a child.

rtrules
Jan. 2, 2009, 11:25 AM
Keeley, I know exactly what you are going through..........and it sucks. I have my own farm and I lost my golden girl 2 years ago last September. She was my sweetpea. A dog of a lifetime. I still miss her daily but, you know what? She and her boyfriend (he was my hubby's dog of a lifetime) have sent us our new guy and he is pretty great too. This new guy....he's no longer the FNG because he's here a year in March, just kind of fell in our laps. Ghazzu, I hear what you are saying and I totally agree. I tried to go the way of the rescues but, keeping a dog in a fenced in yard or on a leash when they can be trained to stay within the confines of 30 acres is not my idea of a happy life for a Golden. To me it was like asking "country folk" to live in the city. Anyway, I didn't go that route. Keeley, I am so sorry for your loss and I hope you can find it in your heart to give another Golden the chance to be your next dog of a lifetime.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jan. 2, 2009, 11:40 AM
Rescues often have pups - at least, our border collie rescue does.

Although I agree with Bluey that there is nothing wrong with buying from a reputable breeder. Just be aware that most reputable breeders don't have pups available on demand and you'll need to get your name on a list for the next litter or maybe even the one after that.:) In general, any breeder that advertises pups for sale on the internet or in the newspaper you should stay far far away from. Breeders that advertise their farms on the internet are fine - just not those that are selling pups through a website. Especially not those who have multiple litters on the ground at one time.

So if you want a pup right now, you'd probably do better to go the rescue route. Not all of them require the dog to be fenced or leashed at all times;) - we certainly don't. We do require a home visit, but that's so we can avoid making blanket rules. But if you can't find a reasonable rescue there's plenty of pure-bred pups in shelters, sadly enough.

citydog
Jan. 2, 2009, 01:31 PM
Keeley, sorry for your loss. Check out http://mirasol.org/ Amazing and well-rounded dogs, nice people. Not sure what their breeding schedule looks like, but hard to do better.

:rolleyes: No, they don't.

A good breeder will do the same rigorous screening as the better rescues. And well they should.

Guin
Jan. 2, 2009, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ghazzu http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=3770258#post3770258)

</i>

Disagree. Two families we are friends with called YGRR, went up there, and came back with lovely dogs the same day. They are overwhelmed with dogs like every other rescue in the country because of the economy.

Thomas_1
Jan. 2, 2009, 01:53 PM
Very sorry to hear your sad news.

They happen to be my favourite breed and I'm privileged to share my home with a load of them and can entirely appreciate the gap they leave when they sadly depart.

Here's the best place to start:

http://www.grca.org/

Ghazzu
Jan. 2, 2009, 01:54 PM
:rolleyes: No, they don't.

A good breeder will do the same rigorous screening as the better rescues. And well they should.

I have no problem with "rigorous screening".
I do have a problem with overly rigorous requirements.

I got my last Golden from a good breeder--a placement of a lovely bitch who had ears considered "too long", because YGR basically told me that since I didn't have a fenced in yard and wasn't home all day that I would be way down the list and might *possibly* be considered for an older dog, in a year or two.

Somehow I managed to keep Zoe from harm for eight years.
Unfortunately, I couldn't keep her from developing immune-mediated glomerulonephritis.

My first Golden, Lucy, was a street pizza from the stray ward at Angell when I worked there, before YGR existed. She was scheduled for euthanasia because of multiple pelvic fractures. And again, I somehow managed to care for her until I lost her to hemangiosarcoma.

So I wnt back to my other love, Irish setters for the current dog. (my third Irish--you' think I'd have learned by now! :D) Passed the vetting, including home visit from the rescue group, and have been enjoying her company for a number of years.

I'd love to have another Golden, but will probably end up buying a puppy unless I travel to some far flung rescue.

Ghazzu
Jan. 2, 2009, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ghazzu http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=3770258#post3770258)

</i>

Disagree. Two families we are friends with called YGRR, went up there, and came back with lovely dogs the same day. They are overwhelmed with dogs like every other rescue in the country because of the economy.

Things may have changed since I last dealt with them, then.

goeslikestink
Jan. 2, 2009, 03:02 PM
arh shame nice dogs to, ilike golden labs retreivers nice sort of dogs
i lost my own foxy afew months ago wasnt one them but know how you feel
go get a rose bush called sweet memories and place where it needs to be placed
little tiny rose of yellow
rip doggy

Hannahsmom
Jan. 2, 2009, 07:27 PM
The two recommendations (contacting the local agility clubs and going to the national Golden Retriever club and goiing thru their recommended breeders) is excellent advice. The national club will also have links to reputable rescues as many times local breeders will find out about one of their breed in a shelter and foster it themselves. The thing you get from a reputable breeder is advice and help throughout your dog's life. I have nothing against shelter or rescue dogs (have had them) but prefer going thru the national club's rescue groups if I'm looking for a purebred. Breeders with the national groups have normally signed a code of ethics and do testing for OFA and any other breed specific problems. Again, they may well be able to provide you with a 'rescue' but one with a lot of knowledge about the breed and any particular issues that dog might have.

RunningwaterWBs
Jan. 4, 2009, 02:26 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. :no:

My good friend Amy breeds Goldens:
http://www.gingerrungoldenretrievers.com/index.html
They are just beautiful!

stuge
Jan. 4, 2009, 04:45 PM
I too am sorry for your loss. Goldens are my favorite as well and the only reason why I don't have one now is because a friend found the dog I have now at the side of the road and he needed a home so bad!

Anyway, my dad got a golden from a breeder in York, SC and apprently she bred alot of them for guide dogs. We had goldens growing up but this dog was absolutely the calmest, easiest to train, smartest dog I have ever come across in my life. I am sure some of that trainability is genetic but my dad is no dog trainer let me tell you but that dog was house trained by 3 months old (no crate), would sit and stay at not much older, and I kid you not, if you put a piece of meat on the floor and told him not to touch it that dog would not touch it (we tested him overnight once). Not to mention he would go get by dad's socks for him:D and could even tell the difference between black and white socks!

I'll see if I can find the name of the breeder. The dog passed away last year at the age of 7 from liver cancer. I still cry when I think of him and I never lived with him and he wasn't even my dog! He got another golden this year from a couple in the neighborhood and as sweet as he is, he is no where near as smart as the other one.

keeley
Jan. 5, 2009, 08:18 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind words... you know exactly what I am going through in losing her. Many thanks again for all the leads and resources. You all are a wealth of information.

diKecnadnuS
Jan. 6, 2009, 07:33 PM
I have heard wonderful things about Delmarva Goldens (I think thats the correct spelling) in MD. Check out www.GoldenRetrieverForum.com there is an entire place to post all about finding breeders. It is an EXCELLENT source of info.

Suzi Gatipon in Camden, SC breeds. Her dogs are more obedience & field, but she does have one that is doing very well in confirmation. She is a wonderful lady, and her dogs are stunning!