PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for sturdy metal swing stall guard?

foursocks
Dec. 28, 2008, 07:37 PM
I'm looking for a swing/hinged stall guard that is tall, metal, and very, very sturdy. It is for a horse who is defnesive about his stall and is prone to rushing people when they walk past and trying to bite them. :eek:

It needs to be tall enough that the horse can't put his head out and bite anyone, strong enough to withstand him pushing on it, and able to be hung on the door frame of a stall- it would be best to get a sliding stall door but that isn't an option right now.

I have found a couple of options online that look like they might work, and I plan to go to the farm supply store this week, but thought I'd see if anyone here has other ideas...? Thanks!

Here are the two types that look like possibilities, but I'm not sure the first one is strong enough:

http://www.americanstable.com/images/1226799373849-744398308.jpg

This one, but with an extra panel on top, so it would be two steel tubing panels and one solid steel panel on the bottom. It's sort of expensive, but is probably much sturdier than the first one:
http://www.horsestalls.com/dg4.gif

manyspots
Dec. 28, 2008, 07:47 PM
Dover and others (Like Big Dees) have a 60" steel one that I was going to buy. It was available without the yoke so the horse could not stick their head into the aisle. HOWEVER the frieght on these items is more than the gate itself. I tried a bunch of places and threw in the towel. We built my dutch doors high enough so the horses can only stick their head over... neither is defensive. Country Manufacturing (google their site) has gates and you can pick numerous options to make it as big as you want. I THINK they offer free shipping... worth looking at least :)

Evalee Hunter
Dec. 28, 2008, 08:07 PM
I bought tall stall gates, very nice & heavy duty, at my local farm store (Oxford Feed) for about $178 each, picked up at the store. They are really beautiful gates with very nice hinges for hanging - you DO want gates that have some way of keeping the gate "peg" in the hinge. Ours have threads on the bottom of the "peg" that is welded to the gate & the manufacturer supplied nuts to be screwed on those threads after the peg is lowered through the hinge. If you don't have something to hook the gate on, many horses will lift it right off & be gone! I have had more than one horse do this with gates that were not secured.

We hung the gates on the inside & have sliding doors on the outside. Our gates have yokes & we let the horses put their heads out. If we need them to stay in, we just slide the door closed - they can still look through the bars.

I don't know where you are located but if you have any Amish welding shops in your area, they might make you what you want at a very reasonable price. I had a gate custom manufactured to fit a space 11 ft. 9-3/4 inches (12 foot gate was too big, 10 foot was way too small). Beautiful gate, very heavy duty tubing, with two inch opening wire mesh welded into all the spaces between the tubes, cost $516 at my favorite custom welding shop. Powder coated black, with matching powder coated slam latch & installed, all included in the price.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Dec. 28, 2008, 10:39 PM
Try Lucas Equine Manufacturing in KY. They make the heaviest I've seen.

GollyGee
Dec. 29, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evalee I have the same gates from Oxford. But they have had a problem getting any more??? Also both the black coated and chrome ones both peeled and pitted in the yoke are and I have inside aisles w/ sliders as well.

Who are the guys the make the nice ones up @ Fairhill TC?
They make the best gates using the steel mesh.

TouchstoneAcres
Dec. 29, 2008, 08:29 AM
If you are east, try Frey Bros. They have stock sizes or will make you a custom one. I got my stallscreens there and love them. You can get color for no extra $.
http://www.freybrothersinc.com/Horse_Equip.html

foursocks
Dec. 29, 2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks so much everybody! :)

msj
Dec. 29, 2008, 12:26 PM
Does it have to be a metal stall guard? How about one of the plastic ones or even the cotton web ones that are available thru Dover? Forget the thin ones as you would need about 3 or more and the horse could get his head thru and not be able to get it back out. :eek:

I use the cotton web ones for my horses as they love to reach out over their bottom dutch door and eat it! :sigh: You probably would need the canvas backed with 4 lines vs any of the 3 lines as you'd get better coverage. I've got one and it has held up very well and it's as old as the hills. :D Course my horses don't charge it either but it is quite strong and much less expensive than the metal doors. It also would afford the horse more privacy.

http://equestrian.doversaddlery.com/search?w=stall+guard&x=3&y=10&idu=1B7D9BFWHFKT&ids=88979471

Another option would be to build the door higher so the horse couldn't get it's head out. If it's fastened to the original door it would swing when the door opens.

Good luck with whatever you do. :)

Evalee Hunter
Dec. 29, 2008, 01:29 PM
Evalee I have the same gates from Oxford. But they have had a problem getting any more??? Also both the black coated and chrome ones both peeled and pitted in the yoke are and I have inside aisles w/ sliders as well.

Who are the guys the make the nice ones up @ Fairhill TC?
They make the best gates using the steel mesh.

I don't know whether Oxford has a problem getting more or not. They told me that the co. that made them went out of business, but when I asked about getting more they had no trouble finding them "in a warehouse". Hmmm. I just bought mine a few months ago.

I can't say I think mine have pitted but the paint has come off in places. I don't blame the manufacturer for that - when a big, bored TB spends a good part of the day choosing to sharpen his teeth on the metal door, rather than eating his hay ... well, the appearance of the gate suffers.

I don't know who makes ones you may have seen at Fairhill Training Center but I will try to find out. I do know I saw some nice stall fronts at a nearby TB farm on Rt. 472 & those stall fronts were made by the same welder who custom welds for me. On the other hand, I asked him about stall gates & he wasn't all that enthused about making those so I bought from Oxford Feed.

gabz
Dec. 30, 2008, 03:27 PM
One more option would be to consider a fence gate or arched gate.

Triplicate
Dec. 30, 2008, 03:48 PM
Sounds like a little bit of manners is in order.

First - no yoke in the stall gate especially if he wants to rush the gate and attack passersby.

Second - a tall gate he cannot reach over will be best. Forget about the webbings.

Third - If he is REALLY serious about hurting a person or another horse walking down the aisle, after you hang the stall screen, put a single electric fence wire on the inside of his stall. Put the box on the outside of his stall & make sure he cannot reach the cord.
Turn off the box when entering the stall.
After one or two zaps, you can usually remove the wire.
Make sure you use proper insulators and put up a warning sign on the front of the stall.
DO NOT ever leave the electric on if no one is in the stable.

This kind of behavior is why we never ever let horses hang their heads out in the aisle.

We had a really bad horse and this solved the problem.

foursocks
Dec. 30, 2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks, again, everyone- this has been very helpful. I think I will go with one of the CMI gates- it is steel tubing with a solid panel on the bottom and I think it will work nicely.

Triplicate- thank you for the suggestions. I never let my horse poke his head out into the aisle (except for when it is just me and a few others in the barn), which is why I am looking for a door for his soon-to-be new stall. I can see the merit of the electric wire, but so long as he can't get his head out or passersby are aware of his propensity the problem is manageable. He's not crazy, he is defensive about his stall due to prior treatment. While he has improved immensely (feeding is not an issue, nor is watering) we have a ways to go still (I don't do things like tack him up in his stall, for example), and he may never be trustworthy.

C'est la vie- but a nice new door will help! :)