View Full Version : Dog Bed for big/older barn dogs?

Dec. 28, 2008, 06:58 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good dog bed that will hold up (somewhat at least) for an older, arthritic (110 lb GSD). It needs to be big enough so he can lie flat and stretch out and padded enough to support him and be comfortable without getting lumpy. I've seen orthopedic, memory foam, etc. -- how do you know which one to get??? TIA

Dec. 28, 2008, 07:12 PM
Big dog beds are hard to find and then when you do find a good one, they can be expensive as hell.
I'd suggest doing what I do for supportive large dog beds: buy a memory foam type mettress pad. You can find them on sale for a *lot* cheaper than a large dog bed made of the same stuff...and a twin size is more than adequate for a 110 lb GSD. You can then buy a couple inexpensive twin sheets for it and at a fabric store or craft section of a WalMart you can buy stick-on velcro tabs to help keep the sheet on the mattress pad. Easy to take sheets off and toss them in the washer.

Dec. 28, 2008, 07:15 PM
Costco carries some very nice big dog beds for $20 but I'm not sure they're big enough for your pup.

Dec. 28, 2008, 07:19 PM
I have a couple of really big older dogs too. I went around the house and found some old cushions and old pillows and made one dog a bed out of that and he LOVES it.
For the other dog I went to the thrift store/goodwill and found a futon cushion for $10.
I made a cover for it very easily, and I wash and febreze the whole thing fairly often.
Not the cushion, but I put that inside a hefty bag before I put the cover on it just in case :)

Dec. 28, 2008, 07:19 PM
Look through the Dr Foster and Smith website....they have some really good orthopedic bed choices.

Dec. 28, 2008, 07:39 PM
Seconding the Futon mattress at goodwill/salvation army etc.

I have a posturepedic futon mattress. The dogs ADORE it. (and yes, I am *supposed* to take up at least half of it too... :uhoh: )

Dec. 28, 2008, 07:54 PM
I have found that using the cushion for a Papa San chair works very well. Sturdy and holds up well to digging before they make a nest. You can find them at Pier One or World Market stores fairly inexpensively.:)

Dec. 28, 2008, 08:11 PM
Our big Great Pyrennes has a 3'x6' dog flat roof house on our enclosed side porch. Inside the dog house he has a mattress and several very heavy duty moving quilts folded on top of the mattress. Since he likes to oversee our farm, I put a sofa shaped Futon mattress on the flat roof of the house, too and covered that with another quilt that is easy to hose off and dry as needed. Years ago we had Boxers and their favorite bed was a sturdy camp cot with a mattress on it. I think keeping an older dog out of the dampness of the ground is a help.

Dec. 28, 2008, 08:39 PM
I used a crib mattress. My 3 kids were all in beds and the mattress served very well as a dog bed. I'm sure you can find used ones that aren't expensive.

Dec. 28, 2008, 08:44 PM
I used a crib mattress. My 3 kids were all in beds and the mattress served very well as a dog bed. I'm sure you can find used ones that aren't expensive.

Works great and doesn't absorb doggie odours.

Sparky Boy
Dec. 28, 2008, 09:47 PM
I've ordered 5" foam online to use in making outdoor furniture cushions. It's so comfy and very inexpensive. You can order whatever size and thickness you like. If you're handy, you can sew a waterproof cover for it.

Dec. 28, 2008, 10:02 PM
I got this bed for my Golden/Lab that is old/arthritic. He loves it. He used to only lay on his left side, because he has a bone chip in his rt shoulder and mild hip dysplasia in his rt hip. When he is in this bed, he will lay on both sides.

Dec. 28, 2008, 11:29 PM
Wow!!! What great ideas! I've been browsing the pet catalogs and they ARE expensive for something big and heavy. He accompanies me to the barn, but sleeps in the house or basement, whatever he prefers, so I could get something for both places if it's less expensive -- thanks so very much!!

Dec. 28, 2008, 11:36 PM
The Costco beds are great, and you could then get a memory foam "mattress topper" from someplace like overstock.com and cut a piece to stuff into the Costco bed, too. :) If incontinence is a issue, Orvis has a really expensive waterproof liner that you can find for a fraction of the price at Target.

Good luck!

Dec. 29, 2008, 02:16 AM
Also, Target has a great memory foam bed for $40. Has held up for almost a year with my guy! He used to immediately kill the stuffing in other beds (think gigantic plush toy, all over the house! :eek: ). This one he hasn't destroyed, and LOVES to go in his crate and sleep. He's not as big as your guy, but his crate is an XXL airline approved crate (he's a *bit* spoiled) and it fits perfectly in there! And if your guy likes to make a nest before going to sleep like mine does, a cheapo fleece throw from walmart does the trick. No more torn up bed and my guy actually will take his blankie out of his crate and bring it into the living room to sleep on!! :) Oh so very cute!!!

Dec. 29, 2008, 09:19 AM
I made one heck of a nice dog bed out of thick foam (4") from the fabric store and some old blankets. Lasted for years, inexpensive, easy to clean, and very comfortable for old dogs.

Dec. 29, 2008, 09:38 AM
My GSD loves her large sized Cosco bed with the removable cover. So cheap you can get several and throw them around different areas....and wash the cover when needed. I toss the bed in the dryer to refluff the innerds too.

pearl's mom
Dec. 29, 2008, 10:09 AM
Last xmas, my father bought really nice dog beds for my pups from LL Bean. Probably weren't cheap but boy do they love them. They have their name on them and most times they go to the right one:) The cover comes off for washing too.

Dec. 29, 2008, 10:33 AM
We heat our house with an outdoor wood boiler type stove thats in one of the garages. I have a pair of old horse blankets next to the stove and the old dog sleeps on them right up against the stove.

Dec. 29, 2008, 10:37 AM
We've always used old couches for our outdoor dog beds, they love them and even my last two arthritic ones didn't have a problem getting up on them.

Dec. 29, 2008, 10:53 AM
Another thing you can do to make any dog bed more comfortable is put a rubber mat under it. That way there's extra cushion if the dog bed flattens out in spots.

You can go the fitness department at Walmart and get a big mat for about $20. They're made of interlocking pieces, so you can double them up under one dog bed, or use a couple of pieces in different locations.

Dec. 29, 2008, 06:21 PM
The absolute BEST "dog beds" are regular human crib mattresses. You can get one at Target or Walmart in their baby section for about $50-$60. Buy three or four packages of flannel crib sheets for $20 and you have the most comfortable bed you can get for your dog.

Dec. 29, 2008, 08:23 PM
Orvis makes the best orthopedic dog bed. And they are absolutely huge. I bought the size recomended for my dog (clumber spaniel - 55 lbs) and it is literally almost as big as my full size bed. It is huge. It is thick and it is made of temperpedic memory foam and has a waterproof, washable cover (for those of us with heavy droolers :) They aren't cheap but so worth it. I can't even imagine what size the largest is. I could fit five Darcy's in his :)

Dec. 30, 2008, 11:44 AM
I love the Costco ones too, I can't beleive how cheap they are!! They were the only one I could find big enough my for my guy..