PDA

View Full Version : Mutt Dog DNA Testing? Anyone tried it??

Rev-Rider
Dec. 27, 2008, 03:59 AM
Well most "horse people" are "Dog people" SOOO.....
I've always wondered what my hound-ish-bull-dog looking guy really is. I just came across the Dog breed DNA testing kits on the net. One is a blood draw at the vet, the other is a cheek swab. If anyone has tried it I'd love to know your opinions. Some of the results on the sites seemed pretty shocking.

Catmando
Dec. 27, 2008, 11:14 AM
I am actually thinking about having one of my dogs done but I'd go through the vet with the blood draw. She is suppose to be a yellowlab, retriever mix but she shows all kinds of herding dog instincts and ended up only mid size and about 34lbs.

Party Rose
Dec. 27, 2008, 01:25 PM
I ordered it from Petco three+ weeks ago. Received the test kit at my PO Box immediately, swabbed the cheek and put it back in the mail that day. Per Petco I was supposed to have the results on Christmas Eve. Major bummer as it's not here yet and per the Lab's website, it's still in the testing stage.

The reason I went with Petco is that though the cost has significantly decreased over the years, the test was on sale and they have an extensive breed database. I wanted to be sure that Cavalier King Charles was testable as many other companies do not include KC's.

I got Jasmine (Jazz / Jazzy) at the Humane Society in July. She goes with me everywhere and I'm constantly asked what she is. Hopefully I'll now be able to say instead of guesstimate the possibilities per the Dog Park pooch owners.

morganmare
Dec. 27, 2008, 02:49 PM
Do any labs do DNA testing on horses to find out what their breeding is? [I'd really like to find out what my pony's breeding is.]:yes:

LuvMyNSH
Dec. 27, 2008, 02:49 PM
If you have the money to throw away, go for it. But take any results with a whopping big grain of salt.

The tests seem to get some breeds right, but are totally off the mark on others. I had a friend test her flat coat just for fun and it came back as 100% Golden. :lol: You're going to have that problem with any of the breeds that have a fairly recent common history with other breeds.

Party Rose
Dec. 27, 2008, 03:02 PM
The dog DNA tests have improved over the past few years. If it comes back way off course, I'll send them a photo (which I purposely did not do), request my money back and find another lab at some point.

As with horses and labs, there are always problems. Take it from one that had dealt with them for years working for an equine vet. Labs make tremendous and life altering mistakes causing heartache and un-needed care, therapies and medications. It's always best to re-run any test if possible with a second lab.

stuge
Dec. 27, 2008, 03:22 PM
Does anyone know what the actual accuracy is regarding these tests? I have also wanted to do one on my dog. I always get asked what he is and since he was found by himself way out in the country at 8 weeks old, we have no idea.

How do you attach pictures, BTW? I would love to get some guesses.

Party Rose makes a good point. Labs make mistakes so it could have been a human error problem vs an actual lab was wrong situation. Reminds me of the time that a friend of mine took her horse to a clinic to get some sort of workup and got some devestating results. So devestating they were actually considering euthenasia, until the vets figured out they were looking at a canine :eek: xray!!

LuvMyNSH
Dec. 27, 2008, 04:15 PM
The dog DNA tests have improved over the past few years. If it comes back way off course, I'll send them a photo (which I purposely did not do), request my money back and find another lab at some point.

This was last year.

Flat coats and goldens ARE very closely related. So are many of the other breeds tested for. That's the problem.

Many dogs breeds are just not that genetically distinct from each other, especially when you're dealing with related groups that were all one breed less than 200 years ago - in some cases less than 100 years ago.

It's like trying to use DNA to tell a TB from an appendix QH that's over 3/4th TB, or picking a MFT from a TWH when you only have to go back less than 50 years and most MFT are mostly or all TWH.

The tests are fun, but that's all they are - fun. They are far too limited in the number of breeds tested for and there is not enough difference between the breeds for a test to ever be really accurate.

Telling a chi from an akita is easy, but telling a lab apart from another retriever that were developed in the same area at the same time from the same stock? A bit harder.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Dec. 27, 2008, 05:54 PM
Telling a chi from an akita is easy, but telling a lab apart from another retriever that were developed in the same area at the same time from the same stock? A bit harder.

Have you seen the video on you tube with the lady who tested her AKC Champion Staffordshire Bull Terrier with one of those cheek swab kits? The results told her the dog was a border collie!:lol:

Flat coats and goldens, I can understand. Both retrievers, after all. But I can't think of a less pibble-like dog than a border collie. Although I guess both developed in the UK - reckon that's it?

Party Rose
Dec. 27, 2008, 06:33 PM
XL identifies over 100 popular breeds:
Afghan Hound,
Airedale Terrier,
Akita,
Alaskan Malamute,
American Eskimo Dog,
American Water Spaniel,
Australian Shepherd,
Australian Terrier,
Basenji,
Basset Hound,
Beagle,
Bearded Collie,
Belgian Sheepdog,
Belgian Tervuren,
Bernese Mountain Dog,
Black and Tan Coonhound,
Bloodhound,
Blue Tick Coonhound,
Border Collie,
Border Terrier,
Borzoi,
Boston Terrier,
Bouviers des Flandre,
Boxer,
Brittany,
Brussels Griffon,
Bull Terrier,
Bulldog,
Bullmastiff,
Cairn Terrier,
Canaan Dog,
Cardigan Welsh Corgi,
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel,
Chesapeake Bay Retriever,
Chihuahua,
Chinese Crested,
Chinese Shar-Pei,
Chow Chow,
Clumber Spaniel,
Cocker Spaniel,
Collie,
Dachshund,
Dalmatian,
Doberman Pinscher,
English Cocker Spaniel,
English Coonhound,
English Setter,
English Toy Spaniel,
Field Spaniel,
Flat-Coated Retriever,
French Bulldog,
German Shepherd Dog,
German Shorthaired Pointer,
German Wirehaired Pointer,
Giant Schnauzer,
Golden Retriever,
Gordon Setter,
Great Pyrenees,
Greyhound,
Irish Setter,
Irish Terrier,
Italian Greyhound,
Keeshonden,
Kerry Blue Terrier,
Labrador Retriever,
Lhasa Apso,
Mastiff,
Miniature Pinscher,
Miniature Schnauzer,
Newfoundland,
Norwich Terrier,
Old English Sheepdog,
Papillon,
Pembroke Welsh Corgi,
Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen,
Plott Coonhound,
Pointer,
Pomeranian,
Poodle,
Pug,
Puli,
Red Bone Coonhound,
Rhodesian Ridgeback,
Rottweiler,
Saluki,
Samoyed,
Schipperke,
Scottish Deerhound,
Scottish Terrier,
Shetland Sheepdog,
Shiba Inu,
Shih Tzu,
Siberian Husky,
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier,
St. Bernard,
Staffordshire Bull Terrier,
Standard Schnauzer,
Tibetan Spaniel,
Tibetan Terrier,
Treeing Walker,
Vizsla,
Weimaraner,
Whippet,
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon,
Yorkshire Terrier.

Party Rose
Dec. 27, 2008, 06:37 PM
You need to become a Premium Member (I think $25.00 a year). It use to take the moderators a few days to get someone up and running, but it's so worth it. You can post and share photos and help support the Bulletin Board at the same time.

Can't wait to see your pooch.

Simkie
Dec. 27, 2008, 06:40 PM
That's the first time I've seen Ridgeback on the list! I'd love to just send in a sample for my girls--both 100% Ridgeback, without a doubt--just to see what would come back :lol:

stuge
Dec. 31, 2008, 06:17 PM
You need to become a Premium Member (I think $25.00 a year). It use to take the moderators a few days to get someone up and running, but it's so worth it. You can post and share photos and help support the Bulletin Board at the same time.

Ah, I see. Not that $25 isn't worth it but I Don't think I'll be joining. WOuld love to show pictures though. He is a very unusual looking dog. When he was younger people used to call him a fox or a dingo and now that he has filled out we don't know what he looks like. I guess, having a purple tonge he has chow in him (is that even true) and he looks a bit like an australian cattle dog/heeler too. He has this naturally short tail too, not like a dobermans after it is docked but about half the size of a normal tail.

Altamont Sport Horses
Dec. 31, 2008, 06:34 PM

That is only if you want your pictures to show at the bottom of your actual post. Otherwise you can add links to photos you have on a website or perhaps have uploaded to a free service like PhotoBucket (easy) which stores your photos online for you.

After you choose "reply" the message box pops up. There is a button above the message reply box in the same line where you can choose font style, etc. 8th from the left or 4th from the right. It looks like a little earth with a chain (looks more like an infinity symbol to me). Click that and type the link in to your picture.

Sing Mia Song
Dec. 31, 2008, 08:46 PM
I did both the Canine Heritage (cheek swab) and Wisdom (blood draw) panels on this dog: Matilda (http://picasaweb.google.com/siobhan.delancey/Matilda#). These pictures don't show her in full coat, as I used to clip her (she has since passed away), but she had silky black guard hairs and a thick gray undercoat, much the texture of a German Shepherd. She had a classic Labrador body, except for a tail that curled up slightly, and had gray brindle points. She was chunky, with very upright hind leg conformation

Canine Heritage said she was predominantly (~80%) Labrador, with a secondary (~12%) signal of Afghan Hound.

Wisdom said that "Matilda's attributes are unique, like more than 75% of all dogs in the world" (don't ever forget, honey, you're special, just like everybody else :lol:) and that she had a good signal of Labrador, a slight signal of greyhound, but that she was predominantly....MIX. :rolleyes: Yeah, no shit, Sherlock.

Ah, well. She was a great dog, and I could never hope to recreate her, even if I knew what breeds she was. I figure she was mostly lab, which you could tell by looking at her, with some sort of sighthound in the woodpile.

MsM
Dec. 31, 2008, 09:05 PM
My understanding of these tests is that the issue is in the database. They can accurately analyze the DNA, but I am very suspicious that they have enough DNA evidence to distinquish those breeds from one another. In fact, I suspect that there is no way to reliably tell a purebred Lab from a GSD, much less a Golden via DNA at this point.
It reminds me of a 60 Minutes report on human DNA testing. A couple of companies offered to determine an individual's African tribal heritage from their DNA. Of course the companies came to different conclusions and the objective scientist that was consulted stated that there just wasnt sufficient DNA evidence to determine this.

JER
Dec. 31, 2008, 09:35 PM
I did the early version of Canine Heritage on one of my dogs. THis is when they only had 38 breeds on their list. They have info about their science and methods on the site and if you want to know more, just call and ask. They are very responsive over the phone and via email. Like someone already pointed out, dog breeds aren't all that different from each other in many cases -- even if the breeds may not look similar.

My dog received results of 25% genetic similarity to a Doberman Pinscher and a lesser amount to a Samoyed.

So does my dog look like either of these breeds? Well, he's white and fluffy so score some points for his Samoyed side. Otherwise, he strikes out, especially as a Dobie. He's 10" tall, has huge pointy ears like a bat and weighs 5.5 lbs.

I'm having the upgraded re-test done on him.

JSwan
Dec. 31, 2008, 09:43 PM
Oooo - can I have some fun with this? I'll channel my inner Jeff Foxworthy:

If the sound of your voice causes your owners finest Wal-Mart juice glasses to shatter:

You might be a Beagle.

If you smell bad, step on your own ears when you bend down, and take 5 years to figure out that your head being outside the doggie door doesn't mean you're actually peeing outside:

You might be a Basset Hound.

If a relative has ever appeared in more than one TV show, movie, or documentary in which at least one character is a gun-toting inbred southerner:

You might be a Coonhound.

If your farts cause Homeland Security to raise the threat level from yellow to red:

You might be a Bulldog.

And so on....... :D

XL identifies over 100 popular breeds:

Woodland
Jan. 1, 2009, 10:57 PM
Oooo - can I have some fun with this? I'll channel my inner Jeff Foxworthy:

If the sound of your voice causes your owners finest Wal-Mart juice glasses to shatter:

You might be a Beagle.

If you smell bad, step on your own ears when you bend down, and take 5 years to figure out that your head being outside the doggie door doesn't mean you're actually peeing outside:

You might be a Basset Hound.

If a relative has ever appeared in more than one TV show, movie, or documentary in which at least one character is a gun-toting inbred southerner:

You might be a Coonhound.

If your farts cause Homeland Security to raise the threat level from yellow to red:

You might be a Bulldog.

And so on....... :D

:lol::lol::lol:

silver2
Jan. 2, 2009, 01:56 AM
I think these tests are only useful for positive affirmation of what the owner believes the dog is just by looking at it. And, imho, you can't really tell what a mixed breed dog is just by the looks so even if they are accurate most people won't accept the answer unless it reinforces what they already think!

We had a dog that I know for a fact was 1/4 cocker spaniel (euro type), 1/2 airedale and 1/4 tan colored farm collie and that dog looked exactly like a smallish jet black retriever. Long silky double coat and all.

My current dog is half GSD and you would never ever guess it. She's red, 45lbs, flop ears, fairly stocky and short haired. The only GSD looking-thing is the light stripes behind her shoulders and the minimal feathering in her tail. Most people think she's a lab cross, including vets and lab breeders. Momma was a redbone coonhound though so there's no lab in her at all (this becomes apparent if you ask her to fetch anything :) )

bdj
Jan. 2, 2009, 10:50 AM
I actually have the test kit (cheek swab version) at home right now - a friend gave it to me for Xmas!
I haven't done the swab yet, because I figured I'd wait till holiday mailing mayhem is well and over with.
My big dog looks an awful lot like a black and white English Shepherd - http://www.englishshepherd.org/blackwhite.htm - but with minimal white - I usually tell people that he's a "Big Black Hairy Dog" when pressed, but Border Collie x Lab wouldn't be too out of line as a description.
Part of me is really curious, part of me thinks the test is going to be just... off (like that Flat Coat story) and (the biggest) part doesn't really care all that much - because at the end of the day, Joe is just a damn good dog, and that's all I really care about. But I'll still go through and send the stuff in, because it's already paid for, and I do appreciate my friend's generosity.
Photo of my boy, if you're curious: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14913413@N02/3010749040

Party Rose
Jan. 2, 2009, 06:07 PM
I spoke to Canine Heritage a week ago, since PetCo had promised the results on Christmas Eve. The lady at CH was super nice, very informative and even owns a spotted saddlebred, so I sent her info on Michele MacFarlane so she'll know HER horses heritage. Pretty cool to be able to do that.

Anyhow, she said that the test has improved by leaps and bounds and is the test that the AKC uses for required testing for registration. I don't know what a better recommendation there could be.

But I'll wait and see what the results are in about another four weeks and report back to you all.

Either way, I have a precious pound puppy that is loved by everyone that sets their eyes on her.

It was very cool putting her Santa Suit on (service vest in my purse) and going into the stores between Thanksgiving and Christmas. When you can put a smile on some grumpy 300 lb male shopper that would rather be downing a beer and watching a ball game, you know your spreading joy to one and all.

Party Rose
Jan. 2, 2009, 06:11 PM
From looking at your photo I have to agree that "Joe (looks like he) is just a damn good dog"

WorthTheWait95
Jan. 2, 2009, 06:13 PM
I did it for one of my dogs for fun. It came back that she was such a mutt all they could really distinguish was some faint traces of springer spaniel. She looks like a full beagle to me. We just did it for fun, I don't put much stock in the accuracy.

LessonLearned
Jan. 2, 2009, 07:45 PM
A friend just did this for her new pound pup. We figured that he had some sort of Australian Shepherd in him, but they also said he had Rottweiler and Shit-zu. Not too sure about THAT! I may do it on my confirmed sheltie/doberman (Shelberman) to see what we get.

LuvMyNSH
Jan. 2, 2009, 07:52 PM
Anyhow, she said that the test has improved by leaps and bounds and is the test that the AKC uses for required testing for registration. I don't know what a better recommendation there could be.

AKC uses DNA testing to verify parentage, which really has nothing to do with attempting to identify the dog's breed through DNA. (It's even brought up on the AKC site- "Furthermore, AKC DNA Profiles cannot determine the breed of a dog.")
Perhaps she meant the AKC test is done the way way, by swabbing the cheek?

If AKC had that much faith in the breed test they'd use it to ID dogs applying for PAL/ILP registration instead of judging phenotype only.

dalpal
Jan. 2, 2009, 08:17 PM
What's the cost for the kit? We have a little terrier mix at the barn.....my friend rescued her. I call her Kitty, Kitty...because she looks like she has a terrier head on a cat body.

Party Rose
Jan. 2, 2009, 11:52 PM
All I can do is pass along information received at this point.

Test is $70.00 thru Petco's website: http://www.petco.com/product/106809/Canine-Heritage-Breed-Test.aspx

This is a grand frivolous indulgence for me. Time will tell.

silver2
Jan. 3, 2009, 12:44 AM
We were actually thinking of doing this as a fundraiser for our dog park. Basically we would pick a particularly......... unusual, looking dog and have a pool with people buying tickets for $5. Whoever got the closest to the test results would get a very nice bottle of wine and the rest would go to the park for upkeep, maintenance and general thanks for letting us be here-ness!

Party Rose- I'm guessing beagle/spaniel for yours.

Party Rose
Jan. 3, 2009, 01:19 AM
Led by a male owner of a smaller Golden Retriever, well actually it began with an 8 year old boy and then a second Golden owner one evening.

Golden Retriever
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Beagle (hence the nose and the nose behavior)

Then I had the thought last week of:
Cavalier KCS
Cocker Spaniel

Three weeks after I got her, three people in one day at Showpark in different locations and at different times thought she had Whippet in her. I've had so many guesses, including long haired dachshund. Time might just tell (or not).

Here's an incorrect conformation angle that I shot today, but it gives you a better idea than the other photos I've posted.

We won't tell my pain management neck Doc :winkgrin: that I spent a few hours with in the Neurosurgery procedure room this morning what I was doing two hours later :no: :eek: :no: :eek: :no:

I think the photo shows Golden and Cavelier in the ears, feet, both hind end and tail feathering. I measured the tail feathering last week and it's grown from less than an inch with only one color to many colors at 7 inches. Whos eyes does she have? She's a chow hound so I've gotta keep her at the correct weight, as I think that she's got that tendency to eat till she explodes. To cold to go to Dog Beach, so her best friend Shakira who lives next door and the Dog Park is our winter regimine until I get a treadmill.

silver2
Jan. 3, 2009, 02:15 AM
Yep, that's a pretty weird looking dog :lol: I can see all of the breeds you mentioned in her if I squint just right.

Kyzteke
Jan. 3, 2009, 02:56 AM
I spoke to Canine Heritage a week ago, since PetCo had promised the results on Christmas Eve. The lady at CH was super nice, very informative and even owns a spotted saddlebred, so I sent her info on Michele MacFarlane so she'll know HER horses heritage. Pretty cool to be able to do that.

But I'll wait and see what the results are in about another four weeks and report back to you all.

Either way, I have a precious pound puppy that is loved by everyone that sets their eyes on her.

It was very cool putting her Santa Suit on (service vest in my purse) and going into the stores between Thanksgiving and Christmas. When you can put a smile on some grumpy 300 lb male shopper that would rather be downing a beer and watching a ball game, you know your spreading joy to one and all.

DEFINITELY part Beagle. That is the beagliest looking head I've ever seen. Maybe some spaniel too.

Please let us know.

You mean the AKC doesn't use DNA for both parents to determine accuracy?

I always thought they were sort of a joke (but a VERY rich joke) -- it was so easy to obtain fake papers and -- viola -- you had a purebred!

EponaRoan
Jan. 3, 2009, 11:24 AM
Oooh, Party Rose - Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!

http://www.akc.org/breeds/nova_scotia_duck_tolling_retriever/index.cfm

lcw579
Jan. 3, 2009, 12:36 PM
Oh, Epona, you beat me to it!

We have a rescue mutt that looks very similar to Party Rose's (his nose is pointier and he's liver colored) and people are forever asking what he is. Somebody once asked where we got our Duck Toller and we had never heard of the breed before. A quick trip to google and we couldn't believe how much Duncan looked like some of the ones pictured on the breeders' pages. He's a little short though and since he came from St. Croix I dont' think he actually has that in him. I could be wrong but it seems like a rare dog to be running stray through the island streets. :winkgrin:

Aussie people often ask if he is a miniature of that breed. Something else I learned since I didn't know they came in a miniature size! My friend with a dachsund is convinced he has long haired dachsund in him - and he does share a lot of the characteristics. He is very interested in birds though so others have suggested Brittany Spaniel.

It is kind of amusing since everyone we meet has their own theory which is clearly prejudiced by which breed is "their" breed. I just call him Duncan the Liver Colored Demon. A title he has earned since he has been with us for 2 1/2 years and still hates my husband. He was obviously abused before we got him - but come on, if you are going to sleep in the same bed with a man at least you can stop barking like a hound from Hell when the poor guy gets home at night!

I can't wait to see your test results - I am very tempted to get my own.

jetsmom
Jan. 3, 2009, 04:31 PM
I had my dog's DNA tested, and it came back that he is OJ Simpson!!! Damn those DNA tests!!!

vineyridge
Jan. 3, 2009, 08:51 PM
What I want to know is why Pit Bull Terrier is not on the list of breeds that can be tested for?

Party Rose, to me your dog looks a lot like a beagle/cocker cross with an undocked tail.

silver2
Jan. 4, 2009, 02:22 AM
Viney, I'd guess because it is a very recent cross of other breeds. Sort of like trying to tell a QH with a lot of TB blood from an appendix QH.

Party Rose
Jan. 4, 2009, 02:45 AM
Had never heard of a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Great idea and after reading much of the characteristics, there's a possibility. Thanks for the suggestion and link.

She really is into birds too. We can sit forever at the different pet stores just watching and watching and watching them. She's never shown any aggression to them just gets excited with a little body shaking, but generally keeps all fours on the floor. She also loves the bunnies, guinea (sp?) pigs and mice.

She knows where they are in all the stores and always tries to head me there before we do our shopping. I of course like to end with a visit and don't allow her to be petted by anyone that has handled any of the stores pets without a good amount of sanitation lotion first.

vineyridge
Jan. 4, 2009, 02:57 PM
Had never heard of a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Great idea and after reading much of the characteristics, there's a possibility. Thanks for the suggestion and link.

She really is into birds too. We can sit forever at the different pet stores just watching and watching and watching them. She's never shown any aggression to them just gets excited with a little body shaking, but generally keeps all fours on the floor. She also loves the bunnies, guinea (sp?) pigs and mice.

She knows where they are in all the stores and always tries to head me there before we do our shopping. I of course like to end with a visit and don't allow her to be petted by anyone that has handled any of the stores pets without a good amount of sanitation lotion first.

I'm a huge "real" sport cocker fan. There are some that still have birding instincts and aren't just insane house dogs with too much hair and ear to be functional.

I look for common breeds when thinking about a mutt's ancestors. When people suggest all these exotic and very rare breeds for local mutts, I always wonder just where the parents are. :)

appychik
Jan. 4, 2009, 03:25 PM
I'm a huge "real" sport cocker fan. There are some that still have birding instincts and aren't just insane house dogs with too much hair and ear to be functional.

I look for common breeds when thinking about a mutt's ancestors. When people suggest all these exotic and very rare breeds for local mutts, I always wonder just where the parents are. :)

I think my Cocker, Tucker, would have been a great hunting dog.... had he been exposed early enough. However, he's a product of bad breeding and sports lovely chronic allergies (in the forms of eye infections, ear infections and diarrhea) :winkgrin:. He's the bestest dog though :D.

He does go on point (though Cockers are flushes, not pointers) and routinely will "chase" the geese as they fly overhead... he's on a leash for a reason! :yes:

ETA: Party Rose, I see "Spaniel" in her too, whether that's Cavalier or Cocker. She looks a lot like a Cocker, with a long, undocked tail and less feathering then what's normal. Pretty girl though!

Rienzi
Jan. 4, 2009, 03:35 PM
Someone came by my work with 2 of the DTRs and I think your dog looks a lot like them.

As for Joe, I can't get the picture very good on my monitor, but could be some Belgian Shepard?

stuge
Jan. 4, 2009, 04:36 PM
OK, here goes.

Anyone want to take a guess at what kind of dog he is? There is a series of photos from when he was found to just a few months ago:

http://s553.photobucket.com/albums/jj362/stuge_photo/?action=view&current=DSC_0031.jpg

Simkie
Jan. 4, 2009, 04:51 PM
OK, here goes.

Anyone want to take a guess at what kind of dog he is? There is a series of photos from when he was found to just a few months ago:

http://s553.photobucket.com/albums/jj362/stuge_photo/?action=view&current=DSC_0031.jpg

My guess is Australian Cattle Dog cross. Also, something about the head/face makes me think Samoyed?

LuvMyNSH
Jan. 4, 2009, 04:57 PM
OK, here goes.

Heeler/Chow.

stuge
Jan. 4, 2009, 05:06 PM
That was my guess too but I am not very good with dog breeds. Thanks!

lcw579
Jan. 4, 2009, 06:17 PM
I couldn't believe it but yesterday after posting about Nova Scotia Duck Tollers I took the Rescue Mutt and the Standard Poodle to the dog park where they were playing with this cute young dog. It looked like a bit like a young mutt with golden in it. I asked what he was and it turned out he was a 10 month old Duck Toller!

After seeing one in person I am now convinced that Duncan is not one and I don't think Party Rose has one either. Although her dog looks a bit more like one than mine.

I'll have to figure out how to post pictures so you guys can guess what he is. :)

EponaRoan
Jan. 4, 2009, 11:29 PM
OK, here goes.

Shiba Inu?

http://www.akc.org/breeds/shiba_inu/index.cfm

citydog
Jan. 4, 2009, 11:48 PM
If AKC had that much faith in the breed test they'd use it to ID dogs applying for PAL/ILP registration instead of judging phenotype only.

They just want something that *looks* vaguely purebred. Using the DNA would mean they have to turn away $$$ on lots of the ILP dogs (and on their cash cow puppymill dogs).

As for Joe, I can't get the picture very good on my monitor, but could be some Belgian Shepard?

I don't see any Belgian in there.

We had the blue merle dog in the pics below done (the one in the back in the shot of the three, and the one holding the frisbee). He came back with a lot of GSD (said one parent was likely purebred), nothing in the second tier, and Sheltie, Collie, and Ridgeback "in the mix". I think it's probably pretty accurate (Sheltie/Collie explain the merle, and Ridgie x GSD isn't that uncommon).

bdj
Jan. 5, 2009, 12:46 PM
From looking at your photo I have to agree that "Joe (looks like he) is just a damn good dog"

Awwww, thanks, Party Rose! He really is an awesome guy, and I know I'm just lucky beyond words that he's mine!

bdj
Jan. 5, 2009, 01:09 PM
Party Rose, I totally see spaniel/beagle in your girl, too! That tail, though - wow! That's impressive! She and Joe have the bunny/guinea pig fascination in common - he's really interested in them, but in a very playful way. Joe got to meet a friend's ferret years ago, and he thought that the ferret was the coolest thing ever - they actually played together - Joe would poke his nose at the ferret, the ferret would hop at Joe, Joe would hop back and make play noises at the ferret... it was hilarious.

Stuge's little cutie definitely has a Chow/Heeler (ACD) look - that face just kind of screams Chow - there's just something about a Chow nose that seems really distinctive to me.

And vineyridge - I'm totally there with you on looking for "common" breeds in the local mutt population. Tons of people have suggested that Joe is a Flat Coat Retriever, but realistically, how many purebred Flattie owners are letting their purebreds run wild, impregnating or being impregnated by the neighborhood mutts? There just aren't enough of them around to support the theory... they come in around #100 on the AKC litter statistics - thats well behind Portugese Water Dogs, for crying out loud...
A few folks have suggested Belgian Sheepdog as well (though his ears aren't supposed to drop and he isn't quite pointy enough in the nose)...

pattnic
Jan. 5, 2009, 03:56 PM
I also vote for ACD/Chow for stuge...

Of course, the tests don't cover either of the breeds I think my little mutt is!

PS - When are they going to come out with this for horses, particularly in a reliable enough fashion that they can be registered (if it's a truly closed studbook).

Curb Appeal
Jan. 5, 2009, 05:51 PM
I really wish I still had this little mutt so we could have her tested. She was a total mystery. She had a coat like a saluki and was kind of built like one...only much smaller.

Take your best guess.

Lacey
http://images6.fotki.com/v74/photos/2/212051/959832/critters002-vi.jpg
http://images114.fotki.com/v646/photos/2/212051/959832/critters001-vi.jpg

Here she is next to my dear departed German Shepherd, Tazer, for size reference. She is fully grown in this pic.
http://images21.fotki.com/v755/photos/2/212051/959832/MVC017F-vi.jpg

citydog
Jan. 5, 2009, 06:12 PM
A few folks have suggested Belgian Sheepdog as well (though his ears aren't supposed to drop and he isn't quite pointy enough in the nose)...

The known Belgian crosses I've seen tend to show the it in the head. A whole lot of people see any black shepherdy thing (even a black GSD) and call it a Belgian. Makes doing breed rescue difficult.

Whatever he is, he's a handsome boy. :)

I really wish I still had this little mutt so we could have her tested. She was a total mystery. She had a coat like a saluki and was kind of built like one...only much smaller.

What a neat little dog! Cocker or Springer x ? First glance made me think sighthound in there, though. Something almost Afghan puppy-like about her coat and stance. What was her behavior like?

There was someone (Sue Sternberg maybe? Don't see it on her site now.) who had pics of known crosses and unkempt purebreds to ID. Surprisingly difficult.

Tiffani B
Jan. 5, 2009, 06:23 PM
I've thought about getting my girl Nosey (http://www.indiansummerfarm.com/Nosey.htm) tested. Her mom looked like a yellow lab/Akita mix, maybe some pit bull, weighed in over 100 pounds. She was very athletic - she jumped over our 6' brick wall to escape the yard once in awhile. Every puppy (nine of them) looked like it had a different dad :eek:. One looked just like a chow, including the black tongue. One looked like a Rott. One even looked like a St Bernard, including being HUGE and having the thick tri-colored coat!

Nosey was the smallest of the litter, weighs 45 pounds and has many characteristics of a Basenji. She yodels and brrrrs (she barks, too, but not that often), is VERY much a sight hound, curls up into the typical Basenji donut to sleep, has no body odor (smells like maple syrup actually!), doesn't shed, has a short soft coat except for some longer soft fur around her neck and on her butt, and is extremely fast (she is usually the second fastest dog at Lure Coursing, behind the OT Greyhound).

I wish I could clone her and get an exact duplicate. But alas, that personality is one of a kind and I just couldn't accept less.

Any ideas about what she might be? (And don't say shepherd :D - if you could see her in person you'd never guess that - she's too small, doesn't have the conformation or coat or gait).

Kyzteke
Jan. 5, 2009, 06:32 PM
OK, here goes.

DEFINITELY part red heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) -- he even has that mark on his forehead that is so characteristic of the breed.

And then something wooly -- I'm guessing by his face shape & ears & tail it's chow.

citydog
Jan. 5, 2009, 06:35 PM
Nosey

A whole lot of cute? :winkgrin:

I wish you had a confo shot of her, as she looks a lot more solid in the running shot than I would have guessed from the others.

Tiffani B
Jan. 5, 2009, 07:18 PM
A whole lot of cute? :winkgrin:

I wish you had a confo shot of her, as she looks a lot more solid in the running shot than I would have guessed from the others.

Here's one (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2434080910033872083VImiCS).

And I concur - she's a WHOLE lotta cute! My little brown bug... :)

Party Rose
Jan. 6, 2009, 12:19 AM
The middle in the right photo reminds me of my friend Cathy's Belgian Tervuren pictured here.

Funny you bring up the ferret. Jasmine got to play with one this summer at the dog park. Though illegal in California, owners do not hide behind closed doors with them. Saw two ads on Craig's list today.

I could spend hours playing on this thread.

Party Rose
Jan. 6, 2009, 12:22 AM
And I concur - she's a WHOLE lotta cute! My little brown bug... :)
MAJOR belly rubs for this one!!!

Kaeleer
Jan. 6, 2009, 12:31 AM
If you're up to it, take a flyer on these ones!

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/Saxonspics/Kodakinaiicuddle.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/Saxonspics/Horsesingarden015.jpg

Especially the tan / white to the left of the pic.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/Saxonspics/SNC00026.jpg

Party Rose
Jan. 6, 2009, 12:34 AM
The first photo does not come up. Looking at the second, could there be some Afghan in there?

Party Rose
Jan. 6, 2009, 12:42 AM
I couldn't believe it but yesterday after posting about Nova Scotia Duck Tollers I took the Rescue Mutt and the Standard Poodle to the dog park where they were playing with this cute young dog. It looked like a bit like a young mutt with golden in it. I asked what he was and it turned out he was a 10 month old Duck Toller!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After seeing one in person I am now convinced that Duncan is not one and I don't think Party Rose has one either. Although her dog looks a bit more like one than mine.

I'll have to figure out how to post pictures so you guys can guess what he is. :)

PM me with your email address and I'll post your dog's photo for you.

Party Rose
Jan. 6, 2009, 12:46 AM
Gotta say possible Chow and or Samoyed mix of some sort with adding in something else, but I'm horrid.

Have never even been able to see what eyes, nose, chin, smile, etc a baby has of it's human parents, unless there's something way obvious, ie: Jimmy Durante'(ish) Sorry Cece ..... ;), Love ya ... Just a good example!

citydog
Jan. 6, 2009, 01:56 AM
The middle in the right photo reminds me of my friend Cathy's Belgian Tervuren pictured here.

And well she should, as she's a Terv. :) (Granted, we'd had her only about a week at that point, she had a giant, matted coat and was 30lbs overweight!) That pic of your friend's dog is adorable.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/Saxonspics/Horsesingarden015.jpg

I'd bet the farm that's a purebred Canis Africanis! Wow! :D

Austin Rider
Jan. 6, 2009, 03:39 PM

I was thinking spaniel/setter cross.

Auventera Two
Jan. 6, 2009, 03:42 PM
I ordered it from Petco three+ weeks ago. Received the test kit at my PO Box immediately, swabbed the cheek and put it back in the mail that day. Per Petco I was supposed to have the results on Christmas Eve. Major bummer as it's not here yet and per the Lab's website, it's still in the testing stage.

The reason I went with Petco is that though the cost has significantly decreased over the years, the test was on sale and they have an extensive breed database. I wanted to be sure that Cavalier King Charles was testable as many other companies do not include KC's.

I got Jasmine (Jazz / Jazzy) at the Humane Society in July. She goes with me everywhere and I'm constantly asked what she is. Hopefully I'll now be able to say instead of guesstimate the possibilities per the Dog Park pooch owners.

Beagle/Cocker Spaniel!! Bet ya 5 bucks! :D :lol: I have a Beagle/Walker cross, and your dog has a Beagle face if I've ever seen one!

Auventera Two
Jan. 6, 2009, 03:53 PM
What I want to know is why Pit Bull Terrier is not on the list of breeds that can be tested for?

Party Rose, to me your dog looks a lot like a beagle/cocker cross with an undocked tail.

I have a Pit Bull cross, and I looked into DNA testing for him. I have read on various websites that DNA testing will not positively ID Pit Bull because American Pit Bull Terrier is not an AKC breed. I've read in various places that the test would come back "inconclusive" on a Pit Bull or American Bulldog. So DNA testing cannot be used to prove that a dog is Pit Bull in certain counties or cities where Breed Specific Legislation bans them.

I read on a couple of forums where certain labs were thinking of including Pit Bulls and American Bulldogs because they are so common, but decided against it because of the possible legal battles surrounding Breed Specific Legislation.

Party Rose
Jan. 6, 2009, 09:53 PM
And well she should, as she's a Terv. :)

Check out (one of) Cathy's sites: http://cathyscamera.net/?cat=1 and scroll down to see her doggie models. There's also some cool shots all over. She's now shooting for the PBR (Bull Riders) and teaches a wonderful "Painter" (Corel) online class through Palomar College in San Marcos, CA. Very talented and a sweetheart of a lady.

*JumpIt*
Jan. 6, 2009, 10:11 PM
What do you think she is? I was told she was a purebred chihuahua but I'm not so sure. She is a whopping 13lbs and is the most sweetest friendliest dog you could ever meet.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/chichirme/7-18-08008.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/chichirme/8-19-08014-1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/chichirme/8-19-08017.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/chichirme/CoreysToo024.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/chichirme/Christmas%20Pictures/Christmaspictures08066-1.jpg

Whoops was trying to edit something else, lol.

Party Rose
Jan. 6, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hum!!! Definetely a Chi head, but the body and markings make me think that there's some sort of terrier, (JR?) or even some Corgi, but as I've said I'm horrible at this game. Can't wait to read what other think.

Party Rose
Jan. 6, 2009, 10:24 PM
Corey your post got lost in Cyberspace
Please repost the photos :yes:

Party Rose
Jan. 12, 2009, 09:54 PM
Introducing lcw579's dog Duncan

Party Rose
Jan. 12, 2009, 10:01 PM
I just checked the Internet and Jasmine's test is still "in progress" of testing. They received it on 12/12.

I think there's some Aussie in Duncan. Aussie / Spaniel????

vacation1
Jan. 12, 2009, 11:28 PM
I read on a couple of forums where certain labs were thinking of including Pit Bulls and American Bulldogs because they are so common, but decided against it because of the possible legal battles surrounding Breed Specific Legislation.

I suspect the labs were worried about their product's flaws being exposed. These tests are incredibly tempting, but from everything I've read they're still so inaccurate that their only value is an entertainment. But that's not the way they're being marketed. And if someone gets eaten by a pit bull that tested as a poodle/lab mix, they're in trouble.

lcw579
Jan. 13, 2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks Party Rose!

Yep, a lot of Aussie people think Duncan is a miniature. I didn't know they came in that size. He loves to chase birds though. The rescue brought him to PA from St. Croix. They claimed he was a corgi mix but I don't see that at all and he is definitely NOT hungry enough.

Corey91 - you didn't happen to get your Chi in Brooklyn did you? It looks a lot like my sister's. That is where she went to get hers who is also a bit large and pretty nice for a Chi (her others would bite you as soon as look at you).

Event Horse
Feb. 5, 2009, 03:35 PM
My sister had this done on my dog as a Christmas present. Sample was taken in mid-December. I just got the results. (Took 7 weeks, not the 4-6 they claimed.)

They spelled my name wrong on the certificate. (And yet the mailing label was correct....) The photo I uploaded was not on the certificate. (I uploaded it Jan 2, 2009.) They only came up with 2 breeds (as "secondary breeds"), one of which REALLY does not look like my dog.

My sis called the company and spoke to Kathy. Informed Kathy of the mistakes on the certificate. Expressed concern that if they made mistakes on the certificate, how much faith can you put in the accuracy of the tests? She told my sis to call back and speak to an analyst, said they do this for the AKC and cattle, and before my sis could ask how to get a new, corrected certificate with the picture, SHE HUNG UP on my sister. :mad:

I called and asked to speak to a supervisor (got Kathy again). She wouldn't put me through to anyone - took my number and claimed "Sergio" would get back to me. We'll see....

I plan on calling PetCo and informing them of this since the service was offered through their store. FYI, the cost was $100.

My advice: DO NOT WASTE YOUR $ on this.

Party Rose
Feb. 5, 2009, 06:03 PM
Have been checking every day or two recently for my results. Had not checked yesterday, but had the day before, as I thought what a nice birthday present it would be for me to F_I_N_A_L_L_Y have the results. Canine Heritage received and begun testing on December 12, 2008. Per PetCo's site, I was supposed to have the results on Christmas Eve. HUH!!!

I couldn't access the results, so I called and spoke with Kathy again. She was suppose to email me the results when they came in. Thank goodness I had read Event Horse's post and I was forewarned. Kathy wasn't cooperative and had a tone in her voice that I knew she could blow at any second. Proceed with caution...............

Then she tells me that what I ordered and ran was not the test I had paid PetCo for. Proceed with more caution .........

Drum roll ..... Jasmine is a Cocker / King Charles mix and Kathy also said that there was some Pomeranian somewhere in the lineage, which could have been forever ago. So I'll call her a Cocker / King Charles, as that's what she look and acts like.

The company that owns Canine Heritage could use some restructuring / education / customer service adjustments and they certainly have to get it together with PetCo about their quoting of results time.

So the benefits of running the test is that I can now research the breeds and have a heads-up as to potential problems. This is important to me, as I was adopted at a week old in 1954, I have many disabilities and health issues and knowing my families health history would have made it much easier for me and the doctors.

And lastly, now when people ask me what breed my pound puppy is, I can actually tell them with confidence. I don't think that anyone could disagree with the results and I did NOT send a photo in with the test.

Party Rose
Feb. 5, 2009, 07:48 PM
This is the photo that I submitted for her certificate. She had been playing for a long while with best girlfriend Shirkira, she was quite messy and I had to clean the eye yucks away. I thought it best to show her characteristics, as the pedigree will be printed on the photo. I do wish that she had had a brushing, but this will be just fine.

Guin
Feb. 5, 2009, 08:04 PM
I had my dog's DNA tested, and it came back that he is OJ Simpson!!! Damn those DNA tests!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: