PDA

View Full Version : When horses poop in gravel

Serigraph
Dec. 24, 2008, 11:33 AM
What is the best way to clean up without taking some of the gravel? A few weeks ago I ordered some crush and run and put it by the gates and high traffic areas. One of my horses is good about pooping in a respectable place, but the other just goes where he pleases. It is a pain when he chooses to poop on the nice looking gravel.

I doubt there is really too much I can do about it, but if anyone has any ideas on how to pick it up let me know.

erinwillow
Dec. 24, 2008, 11:38 AM
Well, I don't really have any good ideas for helping to pick it up. . for example, last year we had a delivery of pea gravel to re-do our walkway up to the house. Sometimes in the summer I let our senior mare out to munch on the grass around the house. . well, wouldn't fail. . all summer long she just kept pooping in the gravel. .it was a royal pain in butt. . however, I got to say that I had a "litter box trained" PONY!!:eek::winkgrin:

2DogsFarm
Dec. 24, 2008, 11:59 AM
:confused: I'm not sure why you're having a problem picking poop w/o getting gravel too.
Both the plastic & metal forks I use let the gravel sift right through.
In fact, it's even easier to get poop only when I'm picking on the gravel.
I have both large (near golfball-sized) & fines (like very coarse sand) gravel.

pj
Dec. 24, 2008, 03:13 PM
Use your hands, glove if you are squeamish.

Serigraph
Dec. 24, 2008, 03:40 PM
ha ha! I've been tempted to use the hands (gross). If my non horsey neighbors see me, they will definitely think I'm insane. I might have to resort to a glove though. When its frozen poop that is not so bad:lol:

2dogs - There are pieces of gravel that are too big to sift through

BEARCAT
Dec. 24, 2008, 03:45 PM
2 years ago, I made a "hoof walk" for my horses - basically dumped a load of gravel by the in/out gate between pens where they had to walk through to get to their water.

It very quickly became their favorite place to releive themselves!! GRRRR!!!

No tips - I just let it go.

Granted if you wanted to make a "bathroom corner" on your property, get some gravel there, et voila!

Reiter
Dec. 24, 2008, 03:49 PM
I have the same problem. My barn/arena area is fenced off and of course the pastured horses like to hang out by the gate and so there's always poop there. If the gravel has been there for a while and has been compacted (since mine is a driveway that happens fairly quickly) then it's not so hard to pick out the poop. I just ignore the occasional rock. When the gravel is new and loose it's a PITA and I have not found a good way to do it. I end up with a lot of rocks in my poop cart and lugging it up the hill to the pile is not fun! :(

pj
Dec. 24, 2008, 03:53 PM
ha ha! I've been tempted to use the hands (gross). If my non horsey neighbors see me, they will definitely think I'm insane. I might have to resort to a glove though. When its frozen poop that is not so bad:lol:

2dogs - There are pieces of gravel that are too big to sift through
If they are non horsey they probably think you're insane anyhow. Wait til they see you cleaning a gelding's sheath. <EVIL GRIN> Compared to that what's a little poop in the hand!

goeslikestink
Dec. 24, 2008, 03:55 PM
rubber gloves and pick it up

M. O'Connor
Dec. 27, 2008, 09:56 AM
Do the best you can with a fork. When it's very dry, aim a blower at the gravel areas. The stones will stay put, the rest will blow away.

Renascence
Dec. 29, 2008, 12:02 AM
The gravel is their favorite place to go! I have one that specifically comes in from his green pasture to the crushed stone area to relieve himself. Over time my crushed stone wore very thin from being picked and I threw down some rubber mats in the horses' highest traffic pooping spots.

CB/TB
Dec. 29, 2008, 08:41 AM
I have gravel in front of my shedrow area , by the gate to my hay storage. I think it's 3/4"??? It's been there for years and quite compacted in. Istill get some in the fork when I pick up poop. You learn to live with it. There's not much you can do. As others have said, if it bothers you that much, get a glove and get picking. Eventually it will decompose anyway. You can try to rake up as many of the piles as you can into a bigger pile in one area then pick up that and you may not get a s much gravel. I try to get under it very lightly then pick it up. Some pieces if stone do get stuck in the teeth and have to be pried out, but basically you can't do much.

webmistress32
Dec. 29, 2008, 10:55 AM
I have large rocks in my high traffic areas.

I am currently on the "ignore it, it will turn to dirt eventually" plan.