PDA

View Full Version : Pigeons In Arena

Treasmare2
Dec. 24, 2008, 09:11 AM
Other than inviting froends for soem target practice how do you get rid of these birds from the arena? They attack horses and poo on everything. Now they are producing babies!!! Help.

jetsmom
Dec. 24, 2008, 11:57 AM
Jet and I chase them when they are on the ground. It works really good, because he no longer shies at them, even at shows with indoor arenas.

bird4416
Dec. 24, 2008, 12:04 PM
Try something from these people.
http://www.bird-x.com/page.html?chapter=0&id=28

2DogsFarm
Dec. 24, 2008, 12:05 PM
If anyone has an answer I'd like to know too!
My problem isn't pigeons, but starlings. :mad:
Filthy, noisy, poop-on-my-horses! starlings!

They've raised babies for the 2nd year by somehow getting inside the bird mesh in my eaves.
They poop everywhere and use my barncat's waterdish as their personal birdbath as well as eating any dry cat food left out during the day.

And their fledglings are stoooopid - they fly around inside the barn hysterically even though the Dutch doors from stalls to outdoors are always open. Makes for an easy meal for barncat....

edited to add: Thanks bird! I just submitted their free advisory form - let's see what they say...

jetsmom
Dec. 24, 2008, 12:43 PM
Leave it to "Bird4416" to be able to give good advice on how to get rid of "Birds":lol:

WindyIsles
Dec. 24, 2008, 12:56 PM
We didn't find anything that worked until we had a hawk come around and stick by the barn for a couple of days. The birds scattered and didn't come back - we'll see how the Spring goes...

See if you can find a person who has a hawk and let him do some flying near the barn?

RedMare01
Dec. 24, 2008, 01:21 PM
Close barn doors.
Take in 1 leaf blower.
Aim upward.
Apply generously (and wear old clothes and eye protection).
Open doors.
Bird problem should be gone.

Caitlin

fourmares
Dec. 24, 2008, 01:28 PM
Get someone who is not afraid of heights. Give them a ladder and a flashlight. During the day figure out where they nest. Wait until dark. Send said person up the ladder with a pillow case. Person can then pick up birds and put them in the pillow case... don't just let the birds go somewhere else... pigeons home. You could give them to a nice Mexican family. (They eat them... before you say eeww, white folks eat them too, we call them squab.)

Plan B find a Mexican boy and give him a sling shot... even better if you offer a bounty.

SEP
Dec. 25, 2008, 03:20 PM
Husband with a 22, leave carcas on the barn roof.
Birds of Prey any kind will do. When the falcons and hawks are abundant the pigeons are scarce. Right at the moment I want my hawks back. On the up side the more pigeons the less flies, I think they eat the fly larvae.

county
Dec. 25, 2008, 03:27 PM
Actually pigeons are grain eaters. I shoot them at night with bird shot about once a month I wear a headlamp to shine on them and use a .22 rifle. Just shine it where they roost like rafters after I shhot them the barn cats eat them.

Night of Songs
Dec. 27, 2008, 03:52 PM
If anyone has an answer I'd like to know too!
My problem isn't pigeons, but starlings. :mad:
Filthy, noisy, poop-on-my-horses! starlings!...

http://www.sparrowtraps.net/

Also says it works for starlings.....

LockeMeadows
Dec. 28, 2008, 06:17 AM
DH takes a 22 with bird shot; 30 minutes later, no more birds. For some reason, we've had pigeons this year (this has never been a problem in the past). Since my grandfather died earlier this year of histopasmosis, I do not want ANY bird droppings in the barn where we can inhale the dust. That was a horrible death.

merrygoround
Dec. 30, 2008, 09:42 AM
Actually pigeons are grain eaters. I shoot them at night with bird shot about once a month I wear a headlamp to shine on them and use a .22 rifle. Just shine it where they roost like rafters after I shhot them the barn cats eat them.

That can be really tuff on an indoor roof. :lol:

I have seen salmon nets used at night, in conjunction with a big beamed light. The light startles them, seems to disorient them, and then they fall to be snagged by the net. Then transported 4 counties away.

Agile barn cats are useful, as are owls ( not too trainable , though :) ), and the aforementioned hawks. Live traps baited with grain could be useful, having watched pigeons maneuver a cat door.