PDA

View Full Version : What type of lights does everyone have

ponygirl
Dec. 24, 2008, 09:07 AM
I have a 5 stall shedrow style barn and need lights. I have tried unsuccessfully at getting a hold of Orion so they are out. I need lights. What do folks have and where have you gotten them? TIA!

Tree
Dec. 24, 2008, 11:00 AM
I have flourescents (sp?). The building contractor didn't consider damp and severe cold so they didn't choose the heavy-duty sorts that will light in spite of dampness and cold. So if you go with that sort of lighting, go with the heavy-duty types.

Tree

2DogsFarm
Dec. 24, 2008, 12:38 PM
I have the cold-ballast fluorescents in both my barn & indoor arena.
I prefer them to halogen as they don't have the slow warm-up time or annoying (to me) buzzing while on.

The ones in the arena get used very seldom and I think after nearly 5 years I may need to replace 1 or 2 tubes from a total of 15.

In the 36X36 barn I have 4 fixtures (2 tubes each) and generally use just one bank of 2 (4 bulbs total).
With the damp weather we're having this morning they are acting up - flickering and one of 2 tubes in one fixture won't go on at all.

Does anyone here know if this is what happens with these type of bulbs in damp weather?
It seems to me I've noticed it happen before in wet weather.

Not looking forward to getting up on the ladder to replace bulbs..... :no:

Sparky Boy
Dec. 24, 2008, 12:47 PM
I have 8' long fluorescents down the aisle, spaced about 10' apart. It's very bright. The bulbs are for cold weather as well, I believe they are called T8 bulbs?

chai
Dec. 24, 2008, 05:46 PM
When I had my barn rewired, the electrician put in heavy duty shop lights that run very cool. They are tubes which come in different hues. I didn't want that green light from fluorescent lights in my barn, so I like the fact that these come in warmer colors.

ThirdCharm
Dec. 24, 2008, 06:19 PM
I have 8' fluorescents 12' on center (one set in front of each stall) in the aisle, and in the shedrow stalls I have them set up into the stall ceilings. We have the HO (high output) bulbs that will light in cold weather.

Jennifer

Tree
Dec. 24, 2008, 06:45 PM
In the 36X36 barn I have 4 fixtures (2 tubes each) and generally use just one bank of 2 (4 bulbs total).
With the damp weather we're having this morning they are acting up - flickering and one of 2 tubes in one fixture won't go on at all.

Does anyone here know if this is what happens with these type of bulbs in damp weather?
It seems to me I've noticed it happen before in wet weather.

Not looking forward to getting up on the ladder to replace bulbs..... :no:

That's what mine will do....flicker when it's really cold, not come on when it's damp. A bad tube tends to glow orange at one end (or both) with the white turning dark/blackened.

I took down an 8' fixture to replace the ballast but haven't put it back up due to needing one of the end pieces that the tube fits in to. Mine are 8' singles vs doubles. The barn was constructed back in '85. When I went to Lowe's and looked at their flourescent fixtures, there wasn't a 8' single in sight.

I've got three 8' fixtures down the barn ailse and in spite of the middle one missing, can still see well enough. We put the 24" doubles in each stall and when they quit working, had to replace the light switches or twist the tubes to get better contact and they'll come on.

When I was on a buying spree at Lowe's I purchased an 8' ladder to replace the old wooden 6' one. Changing tubes is so much easier with the taller ladder, IMO. ;)

Tree

ponygirl
Dec. 25, 2008, 09:16 AM
I have 8' long fluorescents down the aisle, spaced about 10' apart. It's very bright. The bulbs are for cold weather as well, I believe they are called T8 bulbs?

Do you have anything in your stalls? I'm tempted to put 4' long flourescents down the roof peek as that is directly at the front of the stalls. But I'm not sure if it would work.

pines4equines
Dec. 25, 2008, 09:26 AM
HAy, I'm actually replying to ponygirl's signature line:

Yes, we make all our stuff in America...right here in Goshen, NY. I think you'd be surprised at how much small horse stuff that'd you find in your tack is actually made in the US. The horse industry is still kind of a cottage industry and the quantities you have to do to produce in China sometimes is not feasible. I was surprised to find out that most of Hobby Horse CLothing COmpany's shirts are made right in LA?!?! Who knew?

But back to the topic...

One thing we did that I love is I put a motion sensor light in our tack room. That way I'm not screaming: "Who left the light on in the tack room again!"

We also have a motion sensor light for when we walk up to the barn. It snaps on. And, then another one that snaps on when you go in the barn. The light fixtures are about 20 feet into the barn so having that light snap on when we open the doors is great. Motion sensor lighting is great although, cats can turn lights on as well...

Tree
Dec. 25, 2008, 11:25 AM
We also have a motion sensor light for when we walk up to the barn. It snaps on. And, then another one that snaps on when you go in the barn. The light fixtures are about 20 feet into the barn so having that light snap on when we open the doors is great. Motion sensor lighting is great although, cats can turn lights on as well...

Can those motion detection systems not be adjusted enough to prevent them from sensing small animals like cats? We don't have any lights like those yet so I'm asking. We not only have cats wandering around but raccoon, oppossum, fox and wild turkey. Security and convenience is one thing but an increase in the power bill is another. ;)

Tree

Bluey
Dec. 25, 2008, 01:39 PM
We have four plain bulbs, well two are pigtails, in a 80' lenght of barn.
They are over the edge between stalls and aisle, so they illuminate horses from the side, no dark shadows under the horses.
They come on in any weather and give all the light anyone needs in there.

Mali
Dec. 25, 2008, 01:48 PM
I have my barn floodlights hooked up to a remote control. I turn them on before I even step foot out of the house! I think it only cost $50-$75 from Lowes & I love it! It's great for a quick check on the horses without leaving the house and also to make sure there aren't any skunks on the path to the barn in the morning;) Money well spent & I couldn't live without it.

ponygirl
Dec. 25, 2008, 02:23 PM
We have four plain bulbs, well two are pigtails, in a 80' lenght of barn.
They are over the edge between stalls and aisle, so they illuminate horses from the side, no dark shadows under the horses.
They come on in any weather and give all the light anyone needs in there.

Interesting. Glad to know that you don't need to spend a fortune for adequate light.

Altamont Sport Horses
Dec. 25, 2008, 03:07 PM
We have a shedrow with a large overhang on it 12' x 36'. On the front we have a light that comes on automatically when it starts to get dark and lights up the area around the outside of the overhang. It is wired to one small light fixture (screw in bulb type) underneath the overhang with one of the long life incandescent type bulbs so that it stays on while the light is low. I have the same light fixture in each of the stalls, each with it's own light switch so I don't have to leave more on than necessary. They have been there since April and they always come on with no flickering unlike fluorescent tube bulbs. I have one light per stall. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100527325&N=10000003+90401 This is where the foaling stall is and isn't our main barn although we do have a mare in the foaling stall with or without a foal at least half of the year. We do have 2-3 horses with access to this shedrow overhang at night and sometimes the night blind mare is out there which is why we lit it up so well. And since I cruise out there frequently to check on the impending mare I like to see where I am going before I reach the shedrow.

The main barn has fluorescent tube lights down each side. One switch for left side, one switch for right side. In each stall there is a separate screw in bulb type light fixture with it's own switch. I like to be able to leave a light on in one stall because I have a couple of night blind horses that do better with light in their stall at night. I obviously don't want to leave lights running in the entire barn though and these do the trick just fine. With the switch there is a panel with 4 outlets. 2 outlets are active all the time and 2 outlets come on only when the light is switched on. This makes turning fans on and off in the summer very easy. On the ceiling above each stall is a panel of 4 outlets. The fluorescent lights plug in there and cords are tacked to the ceiling. Easy to change out an entire fluorescent fixture if it goes bad. I wanted extra outlets so that I could have the option to add agricultural heat lamps later in the event we had newborn foals in horrible weather.

Lights in the tack room are on their own switch and are fluorescent. There are two lights in there because when I go in there I want to be able to see really well and there are no windows, etc. This barn was an electrical nightmare when I came here so we have completely rewired the entire thing and put everything inside metal conduit so I wouldn't have to worry about mice chewing on the wires and starting fires. Some of the previous "wiring" was done using those orange outdoor extension cords with the plugs cut off the ends. Scarey. I used to turn off main power to the barn whenever I wasn't in there until I could get it rewired.

So yeah, my lights are cheap and work fine. If I didn't have fluorescent tube lights in the barn I would put two of the incandescent type fixtures in each stall so I could see very well for inspecting a horse or something.

I would love to have a motion sensor on the tack room light. Great idea! Other people leave it on all the time and I'm sure that would save some money. I'm always walking behind them and turning it back off.

Sakura Hill Farm
Dec. 25, 2008, 03:45 PM
Your idea of placing the light in the front of the stall is a good one. Do NOT place lights in the center of the stall...all you will have are shadows where you are seeking to see!