PDA

View Full Version : Run in shed fell- who should have to put it up?

2LaZ2race
Dec. 22, 2008, 11:12 PM
I rent a small farmette and the landlord lives on the property. He's very "active" with what goes on with the farm even though he is not a horse person. I'm not allowed to really change anything and he's got strict rules about who comes in and out and how many horses I have.

I don't mind since I get the place for dirty cheap, I don't have the means or skill to do any major construction (I'm not putting in a ring or changing fencing.) and its nice to know someone is looking over things.

However... A few months into my lease one of the run in sheds fell over. It was more like an over-hang with a roof and 4 poles in the ground. I hadn't put horses in that field b/c it looked shady. I've been calling and talking to him about putting it back up (properly) or just getting rid of it since I can't use that field with it laying there now. The first excuse was his backhoe was broken, then he promised he'd come that weekend, and now it's been 3 months. I finally called him and told him that it wouldn't be fair for me to pay my full rent for Jan since i was not getting full use of the property.

There's a long list of things that he was supposed to fix before I even moved in, and even though this happened while I was living there it had nothing to do with me or my horses. Am I wrong to expect him to take care of it?

PonyPile
Dec. 22, 2008, 11:21 PM
I don't think you are required to, however, it is obviously not getting done.
Why not get a written agreement for a reduced or free board for all of the work you will probably end up doing yourself.

I rented from a women, she was always saying she would do this or that... I got tired of waiting, and developed some skills in building and repairing. Its not that hard. Whatever you can't figure out, there is surely a guide on the web.

f4leggin
Dec. 22, 2008, 11:33 PM
If you already are getting the place for dirt cheap - maybe you should just let it go - or if you aren't happy, find a new place to live... I know that sounds harsh, but really, if you can find a place that is comperable - that might be a better idea. It sounds like he is who he is, and isn't going to change.

Jill

myrna
Dec. 23, 2008, 01:07 AM
if you are getting a real deal on the property,get some tools and tear it down or fix it yourself.

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Dec. 23, 2008, 02:37 AM
If he did not say when you asked him the first time to fix it that it was your responsibility to fix it (which it sounds like he didn't...made excuses, but didn't say you have to do it), then he basically agreed to fix it. I would say that if it is not fixed within X amount of time, you are going to reduce your rent by X amount each month until it is fixed, or hire someone to fix it and take it out of rent. You could also call a lawyer and run this by them (as I am definitely NOT a lawyer) and make sure you are in the clear for this. Any contract that would bind him to repairs?

Rev
Dec. 23, 2008, 05:10 AM
You have a good deal on rent for you and your horses you say. Sounds like the LL cramps your style a bit but not overly so.

I'm confuddled...You've called and told LL that you think you should withhold rent because there's a field that you've haven't used since you moved in that you still aren't using.

Are you are looking for a reason to move? ;)

Offer to get some quotes to repair the run-in and split the cost with him since he's clearly busy and this is not a priority for him. If he'd rather not do that and there's some pressing reason you need this field, *then* ask if it would be okay if you had some friends over to disassemble and move the shed...and where would he like the lumber scraps?

As to the long list of things that were never fixed;
1) make certain you have that list in writing with the move-in condition noted (for when you eventually move out).
2) at some neutral, convenient time for you both, mention to LL that addressing some of these items would a)help maintain/improve his property b)really be helpful to your enjoyment of the property.
3) mention to LL that some of these are simple enough that you could perhaps manage them yourself and that some might be things you could help with if he showed you how. Or perhaps he might want to do a cost share on a handyman if he's busy?

Should he have taken care of these things earlier? Should he be proactive in keeping up his property? Yes. Of course.
Is he going to take a dim view of being "held hostage" to rent money or lawyers? Will it have a detrimental effect on whatever neighborly dynamic you two currently share? You betcha.

So think over the cost/benefits of the field and other repair items carefully. Is this the hill you need or want to die on? Ask yourself, in this issue, would you rather be right or be happy?

Best wishes for a successful resolution.
Rev

theoldgreymare
Dec. 23, 2008, 12:22 PM
Are all of these things that were supposed to be done covered in your lease? Does the lease outline who is responsible for repairs/upkeep or is this a verbal understanding?

minnie
Dec. 23, 2008, 01:08 PM
If you want to use the field, fence off the area with the debris with hottape. It's probably not that large an area and you could get some step-in poles and put 3 or 4 strands up surrounding the area and the horses probably would never question or bother it. If you're staying there "dirty cheap" I'd just suck it up or you'll probably find yourself paying honest to goodness "board prices" somewhere. He may well decide you're not paying him enough to put up with the complaints and hassle. JMHO

oldenmare
Dec. 23, 2008, 09:50 PM
I suspect the great deal on the lease includes the use of this field included in the cost - so I agree that you should be able to use what you are paying for.

I would, however, not cause a fuss and fence it off with hottape (as someone else also suggested).

I would not remove/move the fallen shed - not sure where you are located, but I would not want to accept the responsibility for the debris if I didn't own the shed in the first place - including the removal and disposal of the materials. And you don't want to hear somewhere in the future that the LL "could have gotten it fixed IF ONLY you hadn't removed/messed with......".

This advice - and about $10 - will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks... Then again, I'm a tea drinker myself.

2LaZ2race
Dec. 23, 2008, 10:45 PM
I would not remove/move the fallen shed - not sure where you are located, but I would not want to accept the responsibility for the debris if I didn't own the shed in the first place - including the removal and disposal of the materials. And you don't want to hear somewhere in the future that the LL "could have gotten it fixed IF ONLY you hadn't removed/messed with......".

Yes, that's the issue I see happening. I can't physically move it myself (its rather large and i'm rather small...) but I could just see me getting rid of it and him being like;

"I was going to come down this weekend to take care of that, I was going to use that wood in my shop, you threw it away now you have to pay me for that loss material"

or something ridiculous!

example:
When I got there a LOT of the fencing was down and in the barn there were a bunch of boards. Not only were there large patches of fence down, but the boards were in the way of using the barn. I told him that the fence needed to be fixed and the boards need to be moved before I start my lease and if he wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone I could just use the boards for the fence. He said that was fine. Well one day when myself and a friend were putting the boards up he drove by and freaked out because we had cut them to fit the down spots. He said he had been "saving" the long ones. :confused:

I do lease the facility for a low price but the fact is that i do pay so I should be able to use it. I hadn't used the field yet because I rotate and it wasn't its turn! :)

trubandloki
Dec. 24, 2008, 08:24 AM
I am in the crowd that thinks you are getting a great deal and suck it up.

In your first post you said you had not used that field because this run in was not safe. It was not safe when you moved there, now it is still not safe. No real change.
Now you say you have not used that field because it has not fit into your rotation.
Would you have put your horses in there with the unsafe run in?

Tape off that area and use the field. This is for sure a case of you get what you pay for in life.

pines4equines
Dec. 24, 2008, 01:37 PM
My two cents: I rent an office here and I got a deal on rent. Every little thing I complain about to be fixed or that the landlord has to spend money on, the more incentive for him to raise my rent.

I know it's unsightly but I'd leave it be or if it were me, I'd ask to dismantle it and then neatly pile it all up outside the paddock and then leave it at that.