PDA

View Full Version : What makes us different?

chai
Dec. 22, 2008, 01:56 PM
I have always thought that horsewomen would make a great psych study. Mr. chai believes that we are definitely different from most women because we are stronger, more outdoorsy and in some cases, maybe just a little more craz, um, creative than other women.

Today it really hit me and I wonder if you will agree. I am the queen of hand sanitizer, but somehow I caught a stomach bug. Every inch of my being wants to crawl under the down comforter and stay there til it's over, hopefully soon. But with four horses and two donkeys depending on me, that isn't even a remote possibility. Did I mention that we just got back to back Northeasters and we have over 2 feet of heavy snow?

So instead of curling up by the wood stove or snuggling under the covers, I've been slogging my way through shoveling out, hauling water and hay, clearing pasture for the old horses that can't make it through this hideously heavy New England snow, pausing only for a mad dash into the house for a nausea break. Ah, the joys of winter, horses and the flu.

So to those of you who, like me, can't rest in bed while the horses have to be taken care of, even when you feel like something the cat dragged in, I guess this is what makes us just a little different from non horsey women. Some days are tougher than others, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Auventera Two
Dec. 22, 2008, 04:14 PM
Give me a load of shavings or hay ANY DAY over a brand name purse, or jewelry! :eek: :lol:

6 new Weatherbeeta doggie blankets made me happier than a pig in mud.

Hope you feel better soon. :)

Jealoushe
Dec. 22, 2008, 04:15 PM
yepp yepp and .....yepp.

I can say for me it runs in the family, I caught it from my mother. I don't know about those who didn't have parental influence.
:)

Rhyadawn
Dec. 22, 2008, 04:21 PM
No idea where I caught it from, but its definitly there.

Mud and dirt don't bother me. Nothing makes me happier than a morning in the barn.

I hate winter, but have no problems riding in the snow, or shovelling out at the barn.

I didn't have time for boyfriends growing up, I was working with the boys (stallions) and they took all my spare time (my parents were not disapointed).

I'll stay up all night with a case of colic, handwalking and all that jazz, then the next day go about my normal schedual like nothing happened.

My friends think I'm crazy, but they don't have the bug.

jetsmom
Dec. 22, 2008, 04:22 PM
I'll admit...I don't always wash my hands before eating after being at the barn. Don't own hand sanitizer. Will eat after patting my dogs (but will wash my hands before preparing food).

Never get sick. I haven't had a cold in probably 3 years. And I smoke, don't eat right (One meal a day usually, and a lot of fast food). My husband gets about 6 colds a year that seem to drag on. He washes his hands religiously, doesn't smoke and eats better than I do.

I think our bodies need to be exposed to germs regularly to boost immune systems. And I think that horses have immune system boosters for those that care for them!

Couldn't tell you what brand of purses people own, or what brand of shoes (inless it is paddock boots!).

ChocoMare
Dec. 22, 2008, 04:23 PM
We are "different." I prefer practical gifts...really love it when Mr. C'Mare builds me something for the barn. Hate make up. Despise high heels and panty hose (wretched things). Prefer tights, Ariat Terrains and big T-shirt.

Perfume to me is fresh shavings, sweet hay, horse and sweat after a good ride.

And real horse people are just that: real. Take us as we are, we don't pretend to be something we ain't. :D

Rhyadawn
Dec. 22, 2008, 04:31 PM
And real horse people are just that: real. Take us as we are, we don't pretend to be something we ain't. :D

AMEN!!!!

greysandbays
Dec. 22, 2008, 04:54 PM
Compared to farmer women (real farmer, not hobby farmer), horsey women are amateurs in the "stronger, more outdoorsy, more creative, take care of the animals no matter what" league.

Farmer women generally aren't as crazy as horsey women though.

Jaegermonster
Dec. 22, 2008, 04:59 PM
No one else in my family has this disease.
Two christmases ago my husband gave me a brand new pasture drag from Tractor Supply. My mother threw a fit at first since it wasn't jewelry or a fancy dinner, til she realized I was totally ok with it and it was just what I wanted LOL

Sakura
Dec. 22, 2008, 05:46 PM
I must have a split personality... I like being a woman, I like to wear nice clothes, make-up/high heels/skirts/stockings... the whole nine yards. However, I don't cry when I break a nail, don't mind hay in my hair, I think a fresh opened bag of XTN smells just as good if not better than a cup of coffee, and I wear green horse kisses as badges of honor :D. I have been known to talk a stranger's ear off about my horses, without even thinking about mentioning my human child and husband ;).

spotted mustang
Dec. 22, 2008, 06:18 PM
here are all the pairs of shoes I own, and I think they say all about what kind of life I live:

one pair of riding boots
one pair of ankle-high jodhpur boots
one pair of rubber boots
one pair of muck boots
one pair of leather hiking boots
onr pair of Xcountry ski boots
one pair of Alaskan bunny boots
one pair of snowshoes
one pair of flip-flops for the shower
one pair of teva sandals for summer
and
one pair of nice dress shoes that live in a plastic bag underneath my closet and haven't seen the light of day since my dissertation defense, which is the last and only time I have worn them :D

birdsong
Dec. 22, 2008, 06:37 PM
"I think our bodies need to be exposed to germs regularly to boost immune systems. And I think that horses have immune system boosters for those that care for them!"

ditto about germs...

I confess to handfeeding my guy a pretzel yesterday and after gumming it a bit he spit it out into my hand...I thought...hmmm.shouldn't let that go to waste...and popped into my mouth with the others in my hand. Whats the big deal anyway??

"I just called the quarry and they are delivering me 20 tons of pea gravel in a few minutes. This is true Xmas joy for me, as I hate mud... therefore I love pea gravel." Another COTHER who is a bit different type of woman!! ...I loved the barn tool box I got for Christmas one year!!

spotted mustang
Dec. 22, 2008, 06:52 PM
"I think our bodies need to be exposed to germs regularly to boost immune systems. !"!!

especially when we are children. That's when the thymus gland is active in calibrating and educating the immune system.
Kids today living antiseptic lives indoors and in front of the computer has been hypothesized to have a lot to do with the rise in allergies and asthma - an underchallenged immune system will invent its own threats and overrreact to harmless irritants

Bluey
Dec. 22, 2008, 07:07 PM
That stomach bug you got, washing your hands would not have helped any, as it is an air borne virus.
Seems that all here have caught it also, even people that have not seen anyone forever but made one run to the grocery store and washed their hands.

The good thing, the nausea part only lasts about 12 hours, then only cramps and feeling badly for another day or two.

Luckily, I went thru that in the evening and night, where I was hugging the toilet or a bowl all night, but was fine to go feed and do chores in the morning again.

As for what kind of women horse and farm women are, I know that some days, walking thru the grocery store some days amidst some very nice, well dressed ladies, I feel not just a little different, but like an alien from a different planet.:eek:

I think there are all kinds of women and men and that is fine.:)

PNWjumper
Dec. 22, 2008, 07:50 PM
So to those of you who, like me, can't rest in bed while the horses have to be taken care of, even when you feel like something the cat dragged in, I guess this is what makes us just a little different from non horsey women. Some days are tougher than others, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I don't know......I think you basically just described being a mother too. I will admit, though, that when I'm out feeding the horses in rainy or icy weather on crutches (back when I broke my leg), or with a high fever, or in between bouts of throwing up, I am grateful that at least my human children have the presence of mind to LIVE INSIDE :lol:

imapepper
Dec. 22, 2008, 08:39 PM
I must have a split personality... I like being a woman, I like to wear nice clothes, make-up/high heels/skirts/stockings... the whole nine yards. However, I don't cry when I break a nail, don't mind hay in my hair, I think a fresh opened bag of XTN smells just as good if not better than a cup of coffee, and I wear green horse kisses as badges of honor :D. I have been known to talk a stranger's ear off about my horses, without even thinking about mentioning my human child and husband ;).

Me too. I like all the girly stuff but cleaning stalls is therapy and nobody keeps my horses as well as I do...IMHO ;)

pintopiaffe
Dec. 22, 2008, 08:49 PM
Sometimes I think it's just knowing you HAVE to do it. There's no 'day off.'

The difference is, we *do* it. <shrugs>

I like dressing up, though pretty much only get to for church and court these days. But I've also become a connoisseur of polar fleece--technical layers of the stuff. :yes:

I will share a carrot with a horse, or eat without washing 'barn' hands without a second thought... but get borderline OCD about 'public' stuff like subways and payphones etc. When I worked in Gov't Ctr in Beantown, I'd wear gloves on the subway (winter, luckily, no one thought I was *too* whacked) but then would not be able to wipe my nose or itch an itch or whatever because the gloves felt "dirty." Yet have been shoulder deep in a mare, regularly collect and intensely investigate placentas, and think nothing of poop-picking bare handed. (it's the only way to 'finish' a stall, no? :confused: )

I DO sometimes think I have a split personality or borderline disorder. My jobs are so incredibly opposite my horsey passion... People from work don't recognize me in 'farm' clothes. I dunno...

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Dec. 22, 2008, 09:44 PM
Jewelry? A waste. Nice(r) clothes? Shrugs.

Tack cleaning cloths? Treats for Ted? Big smile.

Really, diamonds are not a girl's best friend, unless they are expensive enough to be pawned to buy a trailer.

chai
Dec. 22, 2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks, Bluey. It's helpful to know that I just have another day or so of this fun. I should have clarified. I love barn dirt and I agree that kids who are outdoors and exposed to germs are better off for it. Mine were and have had fewer respiratory problems than their more indoor friends and relatives, thank goodness.
I have no problem with clean barn dirt. It's mall, grocery store cart and pharmacy door handles that call out for hand sanitizer for me.

JSwan
Dec. 22, 2008, 10:19 PM
Compared to farmer women (real farmer, not hobby farmer), horsey women are amateurs in the "stronger, more outdoorsy, more creative, take care of the animals no matter what" league.

Farmer women generally aren't as crazy as horsey women though.

Agreed. One of my grandmothers is a combination of General Patton,Mother Teresa, Julia Child, and Florence Nightengale. She puts me to shame.

Snapdragon
Dec. 22, 2008, 10:20 PM
It is funny. I was at a party that included a group of horsewomen. We talked for about half an hour about fly control.:lol: And it was interesing. :lol: I thought afterward that if I tried to discuss flies with my nonhorsey friends, they would think I'd completely lost it.

It's a disease, really . . . it gets in your blood, and you're never the same.

pines4equines
Dec. 22, 2008, 10:28 PM
NOw this is funny!!!

Previous poster said: "Really, diamonds are not a girl's best friend, unless they are expensive enough to be pawned to buy a trailer."

Arh, arh!!!!! :lol:

Or maybe a good tractor?

ChocoMare
Dec. 23, 2008, 12:15 AM
NOw this is funny!!!

Previous poster said: "Really, diamonds are not a girl's best friend, unless they are expensive enough to be pawned to buy a trailer."

Or maybe a good tractor?

Exactly! Because, afterall, we know: Nuthin' says love like a tractor :D

MissintheSouth
Dec. 23, 2008, 11:24 AM
This weekend one of my friend's GP horse coliced and she had to take him to the vet hospital in WPB.

That afternoon I was at a holiday party (at the barn, thankfully) and she was sending me text updates.

Friend: "HE FARTED! YEAH! No manure yet though."
Me: "Give it time. Have they released any gas from his stomach yet?"
Friend: "They are sticking him now."

This went on for a few hours until...

Friend: "Ok, he has peed and pooped and is back to normal. We will bring him home tomorrow."

I was so excited I showed the phone to my DH who just laughed and rolled his eyes.

Rackonteur
Dec. 23, 2008, 12:56 PM

That would make a great bumper sticker!

pines4equines
Dec. 23, 2008, 01:05 PM
I think a better bumper sticker is the diamonds quote and the tractor = love quote above...Arh, arh!!! Too, too funny! Let me see what we can do!

Also, I think real horse people are not the conniving people who snark each other. I think real horse people have some years on them and are past all the snarkiness? Don't you?

What is going on in Dressage? And a few other threads, people have their knickers in a twist? Is it the time of year?

CanterQueen
Dec. 23, 2008, 01:05 PM
It's a disease, really . . . it gets in your blood, and you're never the same.

I agree 100%. I think I was born with it. I wanted a pony in my urban back yard when I was three -- and threw a fit when I didn't get it then, and the next year and the year after that.

I had my kids (human), and when they were grown and I was able to do it financially (AFTER college tuitions), I bought my first horse. Yes, I was a late bloomer, but the love, desire and obsession were always there. And now I look out my kitchen window and watch my little herd of three plus a mini-donkey and count my blessings!!

Kaeleer
Dec. 23, 2008, 01:10 PM

You have got to be kidding me? You are doing what? Starting a competition on who is the most crazy?

WindyIsles
Dec. 23, 2008, 02:25 PM
NOw this is funny!!!

Previous poster said: "Really, diamonds are not a girl's best friend, unless they are expensive enough to be pawned to buy a trailer.":D

Or maybe a good tractor?

:D LOVE IT!

greysandbays
Dec. 23, 2008, 03:37 PM
You have got to be kidding me? You are doing what? Starting a competition on who is the most crazy?

No, I think the OP did that. Only I guess it was intended (or at least interpreted by many) to be an invitation to self-congratulation and mutual admiration on how horseywomen are so wonderful, special, and DIFFERENT from most women because they could endlessly regale themselves with horsie poopies, fly control, and whatever whatnot.

Sorry honey. Any woman with a serious interest in [whatever] can do this about their [whatever] -- might be their looks, their own baby, their golf game, fancy cooking, their PTA/church group/etc, or whatever else tickles their fancy. Just because horseywomen are not interested in those interests doesn't make horseywomen extra special or even all that different.

Women with those other interests are every bit as capable of being as dedicated to (and as obsessive about) their particular interest as horseywomen are to theirs. And there's nothing inherently superior about a horsey interest.

CanterQueen
Dec. 23, 2008, 04:39 PM
Women with those other interests are every bit as capable of being as dedicated to (and as obsessive about) their particular interest as horseywomen are to theirs.

Greys, I must disagree. Enter my home (heck way before entering) and you'll be barraged by horsey items. I have whole horse-themed rooms (including the cutest little western bathroom). I have horses in the kitchen, in the entry, tons of pictures of mine on all the walls, they are on my screensaver, my website, my photobucket and in my wallet. I even have an antique caroursel horse on display for everyone to see and saddle bar stools to sit on. Horses in the office, horses in the excercise/sewing room. HORSES, HORSES and just more HORSES!

I've never been to a home covered in PTA items, or baby items (we're talking COVERED here), or golf or church items. It's an obsession of the worst kind. Lord help me!:yes:

ManyDogs
Dec. 23, 2008, 04:55 PM
Yep-I'm always out in the "weather", leading DH to believe I'm crazy.(guilty, thank you very much-I believe beautifully formed horse poo is a work of art). I like slogging around outside in the brisk :eek: weather-but admit I vastly prefer hot to cold nowadays.
Most of my non-horsie boots have mud all over them. My sweats are covered with mud from the knee down. I truly, truly love my Carhartt jacket and if it wasn't always so filthy, would wear it into town.
The feed buckets full of oats and beep are usually in front of the kitchen sink, soaking. Better than the bathtub, I guess.
We have dead leaves in rooms that have outside doors-but I blame that on the Peek baby who thinks they should be indoors where he can play with them.
OK, I'll admit I'm beginning to like jewelry more and more, but that big square bale of alfalfa/orchard grass in the bed of the F-250? Makes me deliriously happy.
I like the physical part of horse care (so far :lol:).

bit-o-honey
Dec. 23, 2008, 05:10 PM
Ditto - everything! We do live a bit of an alternative existence, out of the mainstream. Just ask all my ex-boyfriends who never "got" the need/necessity for barn time!!! LOL. ;)

greysandbays
Dec. 23, 2008, 05:14 PM
Greys, I must disagree. Enter my home (heck way before entering) and you'll be barraged by horsey items. I have whole horse-themed rooms (including the cutest little western bathroom). I have horses in the kitchen, in the entry, tons of pictures of mine on all the walls, they are on my screensaver, my website, my photobucket and in my wallet. I even have an antique caroursel horse on display for everyone to see and saddle bar stools to sit on. Horses in the office, horses in the excercise/sewing room. HORSES, HORSES and just more HORSES!

I've never been to a home covered in PTA items, or baby items (we're talking COVERED here), or golf or church items. It's an obsession of the worst kind. Lord help me!:yes:

Apparently, you have never been invited to the home of a DOLL COLLECTOR!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol ::lol::lol::lol::lol:

KristiKGC
Dec. 23, 2008, 05:31 PM
I dunno, Greys, while I certainly see your point about people obsessive about other interests, I've rarely met a golfer (and I know tons) who play every day, rain or shine, hot as hades or freezing rain. While there are certainly "fair weather" riders, the number of us that are out at the barn every single day, no matter what, even completely sick, tend to put us in the more "dedicated" category, in my book. And quite frankly, I think that ANYONE, as "dedicated" to something as many horse people are are certainly different, we just seem to have a large number of very special people that share our interest and dedication.

CanterQueen
Dec. 23, 2008, 06:11 PM
Apparently, you have never been invited to the home of a DOLL COLLECTOR!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol ::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Actually, my mother was one. She was also a very talented artist and had a small line of her own porcelain dolls. And nope, not even near the collection of horses I have. I didn't even begin to mention the horse sweaters I have, or the socks, the t-shirts, the jackets, gads, it just goes on and on.

Even my Mom the doll collector/artist was in awe. ;)

TikiSoo
Dec. 23, 2008, 06:23 PM
You know, after reading these posts it REALLY sounds like horsewomen are just a little more self confident and secure with thier herd position than other women.
I bet it has a lot to do with the brain strength vs brawn strength relationship people have with horses. It's completely fair, but not equal.

BlueEyedSorrel
Dec. 23, 2008, 06:52 PM
As for what kind of women horse and farm women are, I know that some days, walking thru the grocery store some days amidst some very nice, well dressed ladies, I feel not just a little different, but like an alien from a different planet.:eek:

Yep. I have told my mother that I am missing the "girly" gene. I just.dont.get.it when other women cry at weddings or coo over engagement rings or prom dresses or babies. I have that "I'm an alien dropped on this little rock to study the crazy earthlings" feeling often.

BES

lesyl
Dec. 23, 2008, 07:03 PM
or one of the serious fiber-arts people.

chai
Dec. 23, 2008, 09:28 PM
Quote from greys and bays:
"Only I guess it was intended (or at least interpreted by many) to be an invitation to self-congratulation and mutual admiration on how horseywomen are so wonderful, special, and DIFFERENT from most women because they could endlessly regale themselves with horsie poopies, fly control, and whatever whatnot."

Why so mean-spirited, greys and bays? My post was just a lighthearted way to say, "I think it's nice to know there are other women who will haul themselves out to the barn when they're sick," no more, no use of the word, 'superior', just for fun. Sorry you don't feel the same way but to each his own.

greysandbays
Dec. 23, 2008, 10:38 PM
Quote from greys and bays:
"Only I guess it was intended (or at least interpreted by many) to be an invitation to self-congratulation and mutual admiration on how horseywomen are so wonderful, special, and DIFFERENT from most women because they could endlessly regale themselves with horsie poopies, fly control, and whatever whatnot."

Um, no, greys and bays, that, actually, was Not my intention. At all. It was simply a lighthearted moment when I thought other horsewomen might relate to dragging yourself out to the barn when you're sick.
No attempt at 'self congratulation' and I don't recall using the word 'superior' anywhere. I do, actually, help with PTA, golf and raise kids and I don't think it's the same thing at all.

Hence my parenthenical phrase "or at least interpreted by many". Your motives may have been pure and lighthearted, but many of the "ooooohhhhhh meeeeeee tooooooo -- look what I done; ain't we special" posts seem to come from another place.

"Dragging yourself out to the barn when you're sick" is NBD and is not the sole province of horsewomen. Dairy farmers, pig farmers, sheep farmers, chicken farmers -- there's folks with all kinds of livestock who'd do the same thing and think nothing of it. It's the way things are done in their world and they'd never think to remark on it.

MaresNest
Dec. 23, 2008, 11:44 PM
Only I guess it was intended (or at least interpreted by many) to be an invitation to self-congratulation and mutual admiration on how horseywomen are so wonderful, special, and DIFFERENT from most women because they could endlessly regale themselves with horsie poopies, fly control, and whatever whatnot.

Ha, I agree with you, greysandbays. I have found that it's passionate people who are tough and crazy, not just horse people. Of course, horses are phenomenal creatures, and it's easy to become passionate about them. That's why we see a large number of passionate horse people.

I also think your observation about horse people tending to be self congratulatory is apt. Not picking on anybody here. Just saying that I've observed it time and time again over the years. Horse women are prone to thinking that they are personally exceptional. And some of them are right. Unfortunately, whether they really are exceptional or not, the attitude is not flattering.

Agreed. One of my grandmothers is a combination of General Patton,Mother Teresa, Julia Child, and Florence Nightengale. She puts me to shame.

Well said, JSwan.

Percheron X
Dec. 24, 2008, 10:11 PM
More of a psych based analysis of the concept......

Nature has bestowed a high level of empathy upon woman to facilitate child rearing. A baby can't speak it's needs, and a mother that can "feel" the needs of her child, will be more likely to be a successful parent. The development of the genetics that created empathy came from thousands of years evolution and natural selection.

Imprinting is when a mother meets her baby for the first time and forms the bond that will last a lifetime. Again thousands of years evolution and natural selection at work here.

Now put the girl who is gifted with a high level of empathy into a stable, and then combine that with a high level of awareness that allows her to "feel" the needs of the horses.

Begin taking care of the horses and nurturing them, and soon the horses become imprinted upon you as children that need your love and your care.

Horses have now become your "children", they are a part of your family, and your bond with horses will last the rest of your life. Same as with your biological children.

The real question then becomes, why are some women immune to becoming imprinted with horses. I think the answer to that, is that not all women have the same level of awareness for reading horse (animal) feelings. If you can't read a horse instinctively (eg. look into those big brown eyes and feel weak in the knees), the imprinting will never kick in, and the bond will never form.

So if you find yourself dragging yourself outside to care for your horses when you are sick..... Of coarse you are, you're there mother and they NEED you! :):D

Jaegermonster
Dec. 24, 2008, 10:14 PM
"Dragging yourself out to the barn when you're sick" is NBD and is not the sole province of horsewomen. Dairy farmers, pig farmers, sheep farmers, chicken farmers -- there's folks with all kinds of livestock who'd do the same thing and think nothing of it. It's the way things are done in their world and they'd never think to remark on it.

I see a slight difference in the afore mentioned dairy etc farmers. they are most likely doing it to feed their families or to make a livelihood. I don't know too many pig farmers who do it for fun. So unless you're a trainer and do it to make a living,most of us who have horses at home do it for fun and enjoyment. There aren't too many other hobbies or pursuits that you absolutely have to tend to something 365/24/7 sickness and health.
even most other jobs you get a day off now and then. Not so much with horses.

greysandbays
Dec. 24, 2008, 10:58 PM
I see a slight difference in the afore mentioned dairy etc farmers. they are most likely doing it to feed their families or to make a livelihood. I don't know too many pig farmers who do it for fun. So unless you're a trainer and do it to make a living,most of us who have horses at home do it for fun and enjoyment. There aren't too many other hobbies or pursuits that you absolutely have to tend to something 365/24/7 sickness and health.
even most other jobs you get a day off now and then. Not so much with horses.

Livestock farming isn't a "livelihood" -- it's a lifestyle. Nobody gets into it because it's "fun" or glamorous or easy or makes big money. They do it because it's in their blood. They just don't pat themselves on the back for it like horseywomen are prone to do.

2ndyrgal
Dec. 24, 2008, 11:11 PM
they just don't have as much time to waste playing on the computer, they're all in bed by now. Livestock farmer "do" make a living at it, likely been in the family for generations, as it is correct that it is a damn hard way to make a living. And anything that requires that much hands on, 24/7 attention then turns in to a "lifestyle". If you don't think they pat themselves on the back, then you g&b's have obviously never been to the waffle house in the early morning in a rural farm community. They are just as nuts as we are, they're just a bit more manly about it.

Tree
Dec. 25, 2008, 02:01 AM
I have always thought that horsewomen would make a great psych study. Mr. chai believes that we are definitely different from most women because we are stronger, more outdoorsy and in some cases, maybe just a little more craz, um, creative than other women.

I grew up being a tomboy/horse crazy kid. Now I'm a horsewoman who is strong, outdoorsy and independent. There's no one else to feed for me unless I call a neighbor or friend and that's only if I'm reeeeeeeally sick. Otherwise, horses/ponies need tending to no matter what.

I wouldn't trade it for anything either.

Tree

pines4equines
Dec. 25, 2008, 09:09 AM
I have aunts, uncles and a nephew who are cattle, pig, chicken, corn, hay whatever farmers in South Dakota and the difference between them and us horse people is:

They always ask me, "You do all this work for fun?"

It's kinda hard to explain to them why I slog through all the mud, snow, etc. for a bunch of horses...And it's kinda hard to explain the expense to them as well.

But lately, in the past 10 or so years, they've been selling tons of hay (literally) to horse people in Souix Falls SD and they are now LOVING horse people. We all pay more for hay and buy lots of it.

Edgewood
Dec. 25, 2008, 10:27 AM
My favorite and best presents ever from my husband were 1) carhart coveralls for winter and 2) a big wheeled hay wagon. When I first met him, he insisted on buying me jewelry; I insisted that I only have so many necks, ears and fingers and that I cannot wear jewelry around the horses and that I preferred horsey stuff from now on (now that I had some nice jewelry to wear I didn't need more). It took a lot of convincing to get the Carharts from him...but since that time, he always gets me at least something helpful/horsey. Last year it was a helmet, this year a pitchfork!:lol:

Quin
Dec. 25, 2008, 11:50 AM
What is going on in Dressage? And a few other threads, people have their knickers in a twist? Is it the time of year?

My dear, don't you remember? This is Christmas week on CoTH, when we all saddle up our drama llamas and take them out for a spin!

spirithorse22
Dec. 25, 2008, 10:08 PM

Well, I don't actually OWN any make up, high heels, or stockings BUT one day, I wouldn't mind owning a collection of 'girly stuff'. So, I'm not averse to that stuff, just I'd rather not buy it myself. :lol: That's for the b-friend. Want me to wear that? Better buy it for me then. :winkgrin: As for me, I'm gonna buy twelve more bales of hay and stack it alone-its too much fun to share the chore. :cool:

But honestly, I'm absolutely happiest when I'm wearing a jeans and muck boots, listening to music in my barn while grooming my horses. That is a perfect moment, imo. :)

I know one thing about me: I am excessively proud of being a horse person. And I probably crow about it too much, like posting on this thread. :lol:
ETA-I didn't read all the above posts b/4 writing...that's so funny others feel the same way. This thread is very self congratulatory!

Altamont Sport Horses
Dec. 26, 2008, 01:38 PM
I come from a farming family (both sides) so the women are all pretty capable and strong both physically and mentally. During the last couple of years it has been pointed out to me by a few men (boyfriend, employee, etc...not all significant others) that my differences can be a little offputting. What is the biggest source of frustration to them? I never ask for help. What?! :confused: I really had to stop and think about that. Yes, it is true but it is only because I don't need help. If I needed help I would ask for it, like if I need someone to hold one end of a long wood board so I can nail up the other side. Even then, I'd probably find a way to do it by myself. I don't need help very often so I don't ask for it often. I just don't think that way. I fully accept that horse related work and tasks are mine because the horses are mine and I'm the one that benefits from them. I don't drag anyone else into it, even for unloading feed, hay, etc. I'm a do-it-yourselfer and always have been. Apparently not everyone appreciates this level of self-sufficiency. Oh well, at least *I'm* content. :D

soccermom711
Dec. 26, 2008, 02:19 PM
Came across this thread as I was wondering, once again, if the boyfriend and I are normal. Not one of our best friends or people we socialize with are into horses, OR animals of any kind, for that matter. They sleep in, shop -- in general do whatever they want, whenever they want (except we are all slaves to our children's schedules -- but we're all divorced or on second marriages so we have every other weekend "off"). On my weekend "off" I get up at the crack of dawn --- willingly --- and feed horses, walk them all out, clean stalls, sweep aisles, pick hooves......

We had a lovely Christmas with family in Philly yesterday.........hung out all day/night until around 9 p.m............arrived home at 11ish. It was freezing and dark. The horses all needed brought in -- half the time I couldn't tell who was who until we were in the barn! :lol: We fed, watered and fussed over them..........then went to bed. I realized after I got to bed that I hadn't bothered to wash my hands......that did not make me jump up and remedy the situation......the boyfriend still had some energy left:eek:.

No one in my family has ever been involved with or around horses before me. I was the first. We moved to the Harrisburg, Pa area and I became a fixture at the barn down the street until I had my own OTTB and was showing/jumping. In college I was forced to give it up and remained away until meeting my current BF. He had built himself an apartment above/inside his barn. The first time I walked in, the smell of hay, shavings and horses made me feel like I was home.:winkgrin: Now, it's as if I never left - taking care of horses is like riding a bike - you never forget how. Unlike others here, I'm completely girly AND horsey AND mommy. I do choose to spend more money on my kids and horse things than my own wardrobe though. I gave up getting my nails done, but wouldn't dream of missing my monthly hair/highlight appt. I completely enjoy dressing up and going out Friday night but love my Saturday mornings in the barn just as much. The same girl who had the Lucky jeans, low cut top, hair perfect and high heels on Friday night has no problem with the pony tail and oversized overalls to stay warm Saturday morning!:D

I guess my point in this long, aimless post is that we, as horse people, ARE different. It's an additional, HUGE, responsibility that we willingly choose. It involves significant time, money and physical labor. We know that our horses love us and depend on us. We will be there whether we are sick, hungover or sad. Nothing stops us from doing our duty. I love my friends -- but not one of them can comprehend what makes us do this day in/day out. While they all have high powered jobs, big responsibilities, and tons of kid related activities to get to, they can all choose to take a day or morning off if they want to. We can never choose that and the part I find interesting: we never resent it. Maybe we're all just crazy!!:eek::):lol: