PDA

View Full Version : So, we have this cat

ReSomething
Dec. 21, 2008, 12:12 AM
but we don't have this cat. He's like a freaking gypsy, showed up quite scrawny last July, skittish and used to living under cars and in rockpiles. Stayed with us for about a month but left for a week, came back, stayed for two weeks, left for a month, came back, stayed for a week, you get the picture. Every time we plan to drag him to the vet and have him neutered, shots, etc, he's taken off. Right now he is sleeping soundly by my feet after another week here, week there.

DH and I are discussing the moral implications of neutering somebody else's cat.

He's got evidence of tapeworm, so probably no shots, I'm inclined to think he is just "one of many" and they don't notice whether he is here or there (but I don't know that for a fact).
If he stays, it is off to the vet for rabies, FLV, basic shots and most likely, the <snip>. I'm not having him around myself and family without at least the rabies, the rest would be my minimum standard of care for a cat on the place, including neutering.

WWYD? Throw rocks at this one and adopt from somewhere else? Or invest in what might be somebody else's cat who visits an awful lot, just in case?

Simkie
Dec. 21, 2008, 12:21 AM
I'd go ahead and neuter and vaccinate him. Keep him inside or in the tack room for the two weeks before the stitches come out and I bet he'll stick around for good. He'll be far less likely to wander once he's neutered.

Peggy
Dec. 21, 2008, 12:23 AM
I would feel no guilt about neutering someone else's cat.

What about putting a collar with a tag that says something like "Your cat? 555-123-4567" with your number. If he disappears, and then reappears, with no calls in the meantime he's probably yours. I think you can get tags made on the spot at various pet places for not much money. Probably all you'd need is the #, now that I think about it. Wouldn't you call if one of your cats appeared with a new collar and tag with someone else's phone number on it?

tikihorse2
Dec. 21, 2008, 12:28 AM
Ulp. No easy answer, is there? However, IF he has an owner, what sort of owner lets him roam around uncared-for? Un-neutered? Wormy?

Take him in, have him vaccinated, de-wormed, neutered, all the good stuff. And then do as Simke suggested and keep him in the barn or tack room for a good two weeks until he gets used to his new home. Ply him with kitty goodies, warm blankies (if you live in a cold climate), his very own litter pan, cuddles and snuggles, and he'll most likely not want to go back to the horrible owner who let him wander.

Kim

Chief2
Dec. 21, 2008, 10:31 AM
If you are going to feed him, then take him into the vet and get the work up done. If he was a very expensive, purebred show cat, he wouldn't be roaming in and out of your yard to begin with. I would run the leukemia test first before doing anything. If he has it, you may not want to go further. Additionally, it also tests for Feline Aids, which they can get from bites while fighting with other toms over the ladies. That one is manageable, but he can't be getting most of the usual vaccinations because of it, except the rabies vaccination, which he can have. From there, I would proceed to neutering, and maybe teeth scaling if he needs it.

Another idea would be to check around for low-priced services. The Humane Society in this area charges far less than the private vets do for most services, and we also have a mobile unit that does this for barn and feral cats for even less. Some pet supply stores also hold clinics, so that would be another route to investigate for prices.

You are very kind to take care of this guy before his roaming gets him into serious trouble, or hit by a car.

Laurierace
Dec. 21, 2008, 10:56 AM
I have had my horse vet neuter cats that didn't belong to me on the tailgate of his truck at the track. I bought him a pizza in exchange and there was one less Tom running around making babies and my real motivation, pissing on my hay.

Sing Mia Song
Dec. 21, 2008, 11:32 AM
Neuter him. If he has owners, they either don't care or can't afford to do it. You'll make his life (and yours) happier if you vet him. Call your small animal vet or county animal control and ask if there's a discount program in your county for neutering feral cats. Some times that means buying a certificate from the county, sometimes it's a spay/neuter clinic, and sometimes your vet will cut you a break. Can't hurt to ask.

flyingchange
Dec. 21, 2008, 11:44 AM
We had a tomcat that came around for a year - sometimes we wouldn't see him for 2 months. One day he showed up in terrible shape - face and ears scratched up and oozing blood/puss. I grabbed him, threw him in a carrier, called the vet, and took him for neutering. Neutered him, treated him for ear mites, and gave him his shots. Brought him home two days later and he has never left again. He went from being a bag of bones to a fat and very spoiled orange tabbey. If he was somebody's cat, they obviously didn't care about him and I felt no remorse at all for having him neutered. They all need to be fixed imho.

Anyway, he is sitting here next to me now. Fat, happy, and spoiled. We named him Monkey. Here is a pic of him on the couch - with my other cat, Pookie, behind him.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2156/2719870/21217892/348051083.jpg

ReSomething
Dec. 21, 2008, 12:22 PM
Cute pic Flyingchange and thanks everybody. No nards won't kill him but wandering and fighting could.:no:

He's sprawled out on the couch right now and we'll be making the trip to the vet Monday, checking for Leukemia status but most likely neutering anyway, whatever the vet recommends. He still thinks he is starving and will eat until his belly is distended, and cry for more. Yep, off to the vet before he sneaks off again!

Buffyblue
Dec. 21, 2008, 02:49 PM
Good luck with your kitty! I can just picture him on the couch! LOL!

kellyb
Dec. 21, 2008, 02:56 PM
I would have zero reservations about neutering someone else's cat (except the money I'd be out). There is no reason this day in age that any mutt cat needs to be running around intact...

Sanely Eccentric
Dec. 22, 2008, 03:45 AM
We had a tomcat that came around for a year - sometimes we wouldn't see him for 2 months. One day he showed up in terrible shape - face and ears scratched up and oozing blood/puss. I grabbed him, threw him in a carrier, called the vet, and took him for neutering. Neutered him, treated him for ear mites, and gave him his shots. Brought him home two days later and he has never left again. He went from being a bag of bones to a fat and very spoiled orange tabbey. If he was somebody's cat, they obviously didn't care about him and I felt no remorse at all for having him neutered. They all need to be fixed imho.

Anyway, he is sitting here next to me now. Fat, happy, and spoiled. We named him Monkey. Here is a pic of him on the couch - with my other cat, Pookie, behind him.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2156/2719870/21217892/348051083.jpg

I am very concerned at how stressed your cat looks. :lol::lol::lol:

LisaB
Dec. 22, 2008, 08:25 AM
Cats have no owners :D
Cats have servants.
Neuter and vaccinate him.

camohn
Dec. 22, 2008, 09:58 AM
If you are going to feed him, then take him into the vet and get the work up done. If he was a very expensive, purebred show cat, he wouldn't be roaming in and out of your yard to begin with. I would run the leukemia test first before doing anything. If he has it, you may not want to go further. Additionally, it also tests for Feline Aids, which they can get from bites while fighting with other toms over the ladies. That one is manageable, but he can't be getting most of the usual vaccinations because of it, except the rabies vaccination, which he can have. From there, I would proceed to neutering, and maybe teeth scaling if he needs it.

Another idea would be to check around for low-priced services. The Humane Society in this area charges far less than the private vets do for most services, and we also have a mobile unit that does this for barn and feral cats for even less. Some pet supply stores also hold clinics, so that would be another route to investigate for prices.

You are very kind to take care of this guy before his roaming gets him into serious trouble, or hit by a car.

Yes,the humane society is both cheaper and more used to/less unhappy about dealing with feral cats than our local small animal "cushy vets" are. Ill cats are not healthy to have around for anyone....so I would at a bare minimum make sure he is vaccinated. Neutured is better. FWIW I have had 2 Maine Coon cats turn up in my barn......I am sure they are not feral and were dropped off....so sometimes showcats DO turn up. (Both turned up injured.......one made it and one did not.) We are pretty much on the Cat A Year plan.......every year one more new cat turns up. One or 2 have been feral, most have been very people oriented and MUCH too young to have wandered in on their own so I am sure they were dropped off at the farm out in the country. Oh, I forgot, there was a third Maine Coon cat..........left behind by our previous apartment tenant. I tried to catch that one and take it to the SPCA but it escaped and has been living fereal outdoors for a couple years now. That one amazes me since it was a lifetime housecat....and is less sociable than our actually semi feral barncats! Anyway......I deworm ours by mixing the dewormer with a can of wet cat food. FWIW the latest New Cat showed up only today........something gray and white and longhaired that I have never seen here before..........too skittish to even tell if it is male or female so this one is probably a feral one....

Bluey
Dec. 22, 2008, 10:09 AM
That cat sure looks like a keeper and the world is his oyster, so why not consider him yours and get him a "complete" vet visit?:cool:

As far as strange cats go, please be careful.
A friend had some house cats and some feral cats that would come up to eat.
One day, this one big cat she had not seen before came in to eat.
She tried approaching it and he seemed very quiet and when she reached down, he bit her hand and kept eating slowly, like she was not there.
She watched him and he seemed more and more "not right", so she called animal control, that came and took him and he tested positive for rabies.

She had to go thru the series of shots, but the worst was the infection to her hand from the bite, that put her in the hospital for several days and in danger of losing her hand.:eek:

Just be very careful around strange cats, until you are sure they are ok.