PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fence for dogs... DIY?

SidesaddleRider
Dec. 20, 2008, 03:35 PM
Do they make electric fence for dogs that you can put in yourself? So, basically the "Invisible Fence" type, but w/o the "name brand" expense?

veezee
Dec. 20, 2008, 04:09 PM
I have posted today asking about invisible fencing and what everyone's experiences have been-pros and cons. I know Home Depot and Tractor Supply carry a type of invisible fencing for dogs too but I have not heard any good reviews about them yet. I'm interested in reading what you learn about the off brands too. Good luck!:)

citydog
Dec. 20, 2008, 04:17 PM
Even if you install it yourself, it's worth bringing in an experienced trainer for a session to train the dog to the fence, as any inadvertent slip-ups on your part can render your home-installation an utter waste of money.

jeca
Dec. 20, 2008, 04:25 PM
We got our invisible fence off the internet, can't remember the name of the website but the brand of the fence is innotek. We installed it ourselves and trained the dogs, you just have to be consistent, now the dogs can go out without their collars and stay put(not recommended, but sometimes the kids forget). The installation was not very hard at all, we put a blade on the back of the tractor to make the trench and the whole thing took a day. I love it, knowing the dogs are ok and can't get into trouble (one of the dogs went over to the neighbors and killed a chicken, hence the need for the fence) Hope this helps.

veezee
Dec. 20, 2008, 04:25 PM
That was one of the pros I liked about the invisible fence company. They will send out the trainer to work with the dogs one on one to teach them about the fence. They told me they take about a week working with the dogs and show you how to work with the dogs on your own for two 10 minutes sessions twice a day in the beginning. It sounded like a very smart plan.:)

Guilherme
Dec. 20, 2008, 04:36 PM
See http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=181582 for additional information.

G.

deltawave
Dec. 20, 2008, 05:21 PM
Since it's winter and we have 11 acres to fence, I sort of "punted" and got (at the suggestion of COTHers) the wireless kind of invisible fence, which throws a 180' diameter circle around the transmitter, wherein the dog can roam freely. What I like is that the dog can't "break through" and escape--if she's outside the circle, she's getting a shock until she comes back in.

I may eventually go with doing the buried wire on a good portion of the whole property, but not until the economy perks up a little. :sigh: She's a good doggie and rarely wanders, but when she DOES it's straight for the neighbors, who are too close to the road for comfort.

Jaegermonster
Dec. 20, 2008, 06:14 PM
The thing you have is basically the same thing, just wireless. They get popped if they get out with the wire kind too until you go get them take the collar off and get them back in. Fat chance getting one in by themselves.

We have the invisible fence brand name one and have had it for years. We are very happy with it and installed it ourselves. When installed properly and the dog is trained properly it's a wonderful thing. It comes with extensive directions, and their customer services reps are awesome and very helpful. I posted more detail about the way we installed it on the other thread.

It's the transmitter that costs $$, but they are cheaper off of the website than at Home Depot or Lowes and you get a better selection. The wire is just a coated, I believe 18 ga electrical wire.

We have 11 dogs in ours and it's great.

walkers
Dec. 20, 2008, 07:21 PM
I've put out my own "underground " dog fence on two farms. Very easy as I do not bury it except across driveways or under gates. Just the small holder for horse electric fence and tack it on the lowest board of your fence or the fence post, then run your wire through it but. High enough so the mower won't catch it. I've used this system for 20 years now. Its easy and if there is a break in the wire its simple to find it.If you can train your dog to sit and not pee in the house you can train it to the fence. Its really very easy, takes about a week, less for smart dogs.
When i moved in my new farm the prior owner had just laid the dog wire down in the woods and I have left some of it that way but the rest is on fence posts, so in a wooded area just leave it on the ground except where you walk or use machinery.
Don't pay" pros" to do this it could not be simpler! There is a neat tool for finding breaks and repairing breaks is as simple as splicing any wire with those plastic wire caps.

Mallard
Dec. 20, 2008, 07:33 PM
LOL -- it is not 'electric fence'...it operates on a radio frequency, sent out by a transmitter and received by the device worn on the dogs collar..
No electric shock. It's nothing like the stuff we use for our horses.

We installed our own system...'Pet Safe' I think it was called.
With patience and practice, and of course, depending on the dog, you can train the dogs yourself, too.
One of ours understood the concept in less than an hour.

Buy extra flags and put them really close together.
Make sure your 'warning beep' is a fair distance - at least 3 feet- from the shock line

The wire does not have to be buried.
We mostly attached it to existing wire/rail fence lines and trees/bushes. We only buried it under the driveway and across the lawn.

As mentioned, if the dog does cross to the 'wrong' side they will not usually come back over because they'll get a shock.
It will not keep stray dogs/other animals from coming onto the area.
I would never use this as my only fencing for my dogs. We also have a chain link fenced yard and they are only allowed out into the radio fenced area- about 2 acres - if we are home.

citydog
Dec. 20, 2008, 07:33 PM
walkers, I disagree. Aside from the fact that a frightening number of people truly *can't* train their dogs to sit (reliably, every time--most dogs manage to teach *themselves* to sit sometimes ;) ) and not pee in the house (again, a lot of dogs figure it out *despite* human intervention--hint: if you think "rubbing a dog's nose in it's mess" does anything to help housetrain a dog, you didn't actually housetrain the dog), there are an awful lot of dogs out there who are considerably less than 99.9999% reliable on an IF due to less than solid training by well-meaning and budget-minded owners, but too often it's a false economy.

As with riding ability, people often gravely overestimate their dog training skills.

Mallard
Dec. 20, 2008, 07:36 PM
Jeepers...the above comment has nothing to do with invisible fencing.
I'm sure the OP will know if she is capabale of teaching her dogs to respect the invisible fence.

Topper
Dec. 27, 2008, 07:41 PM
The company that put mine in is out of Warrenton. I love mine. Great service and fast! PM, if you want the number

EventerAJ
Dec. 27, 2008, 08:07 PM
We also used Pet Safe. Installed about 800' in one day in July in rock-hard ground. Attached a circular saw blade to a weedeater, held vertically to cut a neat little trench around the barnyard about 2" deep. Stuff the wire into the trench, pinch dirt around it. We had to cross the driveway twice; a masonry blade on the circular saw cut through the pavement easily. We buried the wire through garden hose at high-traffic crossings (muddy gate areas, etc).

I marked the boundary with the white flags, collared the two dogs, and they were "trained" in about 10 minutes. Reliably contained in two days (maybe one provoked escape). Unsupervised after a week. Took the flags down after a month (kept hitting them with the mower), and dogs Do Not DARE approach the invisible line. Not for squirrels, squealing children, other dogs, or "Look Daddy's here!!!". It took about 3 months until they would even get within 10' of the line...well outside the warning zone. Now they know exactly where the boundary is and are very comfortable within it. Prior to the invisible fence, the dogs (beagle mixes) would catch a scent and be gone (really, GONE) for hours, or days. The fence allows them to be free from "prison" in the kennel, and they are so much happier. :)

Training was quite easy... lead each towards flagged fence, hear beeping, shock ("Yelp! Yelp!") and they ran panicked back to the barn ("good doggie!"). Put the leash on again, hear beeping, dog runs back to barn before the shock. That was it. These dogs are smaller; while they do have a high hunting/chase instinct, they are terrified of the shock and thus the fence is highly effective. Other dogs, with more "electrical tolerance" will obviously need more serious training, and more time before you can safely leave them unattended.