PDA

View Full Version : Weird cat behavior...

cleartheoxer
Dec. 20, 2008, 10:27 AM
we have been fostering a stray cat and she does the strangest thing. Every time we whistle, she makes this "trilling" sound and comes over to us. Any idea why she might do this? It's pretty cute!

Lilykoi
Dec. 20, 2008, 10:41 AM
Its a happy sound. She must feel safe and wanted.

boringjen
Dec. 20, 2008, 11:31 AM
Is she spayed? She might be in heat. She might also just be a very talkative kitty.

Chall
Dec. 20, 2008, 11:40 AM
A whistle gets my cat running to my face and sticking her nose into it. She thinks its a distressed breathing sound. She is very concerned. Heavy breathing and other human breathing sounds don't effect her, but the whistling brings her running (to make sure I am ok).
P.S. I rarely do it IMO it distresses her.

sk_pacer
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:09 PM
Generaly a sound of well-being, sometimes attention seeking. Both house cats do ito; one is a neutered male and the other an unspayed female (she IS gonna have her girly parts removed in spring). Her trilling isnt related to heat cycles.....she just walks around trilling most of the time.

BornToRide
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:12 PM
She likes you and is simply answering your call. Some cats are more vocal like this :yes:

Huntertwo
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure what it is, but thank you for taking in this stray and fostering her.

I always feel horrible for all the stray cats and dogs during the frigid winter months. :cry:

cleartheoxer
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:49 PM
Huh, that's cool. We got her and planned on her being a barn cat but that didn't work out. Once she was released from the cage(you know, the two week period where she's caged so that she learns that the farm is her home??!)she immediately attacked the chickens. So we brought her home. She's very cute although she is incredibly high maintenance. It's just like having a two year old human child, you just have to watch every move she makes:) She gets into everything. So..............anyone looking for a cute little cat:D

danceronice
Dec. 20, 2008, 01:48 PM
My bigger (neutered) male trills, chirps, and generally talks. Sounds like you have a chatty cat. My other cat sometimes makes a very quiet "meow." Some cats aren't chatty, some are.

goeslikestink
Dec. 20, 2008, 02:08 PM
get her done and keep her she likes being with you and will be a good cat to have

SarahandSam
Dec. 20, 2008, 02:13 PM
My little calico cat makes trills and chirps all the time... she loves talking to people, especially when she's been "hunting" the birds outside the window. (:

superpony123
Dec. 20, 2008, 03:54 PM
it's a happy sound, i am fairly sure:yes: good for you, taking the kitty in especially in the winter! (no wonder she's happy!) :D my cat is very chatty. she makes all kinds of noises.

Seven-up
Dec. 20, 2008, 10:35 PM
I agree, sounds like a happy greeting.

My inside cats chatter when they see birds outside. This is not my cat, but this is exactly what they do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66iN3vzM98U

My cats have huge vocabularies. My favorite is the sound my older cat makes. Whenever you talk to her, she responds with "brrrrrr." Kind of like a purr/meow combo. Maybe that's similar to what your cat is doing?

pintopiaffe
Dec. 20, 2008, 11:18 PM
Certain breeds have sounds that others don't...

Maine Coon cats tend to 'chirp' and 'trill'... I'm sure other related breeds do.

I had a high % siamese once, and she talked, sang, yowled, gossiped and trash talked. :lol:

I miss my big ol' calico coon's "Pirrrrrruppp". She'd completely tell me the whole day's adventures when I got home. I think she was mostly tattling on the dogs, if only I could've interpreted. ;)

Aussie_Dog
Dec. 21, 2008, 07:18 AM
Trills and chirps are happy sounds; she's greeting you.

Another thing she may be doing is responding to the pitch of your whistle. Anyone here ever gone "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" at the highest pitch they can get and have every cat in the house suddenly show up and crawl all over you. They may be responding to the pitch of a helpless kitten, though I can't really explain anything else. As far as I know, their instinct propells them to protect the baby, but once they get to the baby, they don't have a clue what to do. Or, once they come to the "baby," they realize there isn't a baby in sight. Just a human who's rapidly turning blue, lol. As you can tell, I try to squeal like a kitten every now and then, just to watch 3 cats appear out of nowhere to climb all over me with a desperate look in their eyes, lol

Bluey
Dec. 21, 2008, 08:50 AM
Some cats really go to town with their talking and it may come in all kinds of odd noises.
I would get her spayed yesterday, as you may not like her when she comes in heat and may not be able to keep her confined at all, plus may have all tomcats in the neighborhood, for some miles around, come calling.:eek:

Don't give up on her being so active, those slow down after a little and become very contented sweethearts.
You may establish play times, a stick with a string with a little piece of something on the end can keep a cat entertained for a little, caterwaulting after it as you move it and give your cat good exercise.

Warning, cats make slaves out of you.;)
A cat napping on you will train your bladder to hold it as long as it takes for the cat to wake up.
There is truly no denying a cat on a mission, like being fed in the morning and letting all know it is cat time.:lol:

Huntertwo
Dec. 21, 2008, 04:58 PM
Warning, cats make slaves out of you.;)
A cat napping on you will train your bladder to hold it as long as it takes for the cat to wake up.
.:lol:

I can't believe you brought that up! :lol: Do you realize how hard it is to sleep in on a weekend when you have to pee your brains out, but can't because the cat is sleeping all curled up on you??

This has to be one of my favorite videos : http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q&feature=channel

fooler
Dec. 21, 2008, 05:17 PM
LOL - I whistle for my dog and Baggy the cat comes running up talking to me - dumb dog is nowhere in sight.

Also Baggie follows along when I go walking, he just wants to be around me. Nice to be loved. Hey Cat, female cat, follows along sometimes.

FYI - nothing cats do is wierd, they are the masters and we are their slaves (mostly clueless slaves. . . )

fooler
Dec. 21, 2008, 05:21 PM
I can't believe you brought that up! :lol: Do you realize how hard it is to sleep in on a weekend when you have to pee your brains out, but can't because the cat is sleeping all curled up on you??

This has to be one of my favorite videos : http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q&feature=channel

LOL - that is so my indoor kitties Edwina & Callie! Not to mention the late Nerd Cat - may he rest in peace.

pony89
Dec. 22, 2008, 07:29 PM
My cat makes that noise whenever you touch her for the first time. It's so cute, that whenever we see her, we make a point of detouring over to pet her, just to get her to do it. She doesn't do it the whole time you pet her, but if you stop for a minute then pet her again, she will do it. Too cute:)

Go Fish
Dec. 22, 2008, 07:46 PM
I have a cat that screams bloody murder when he can't find me in the house. I call to him to let him know where I am, he rushes to find me, then makes this type of sound. I think it's sort of like relief..."whew, there you are."

altjaeger
Dec. 22, 2008, 07:56 PM
Two of our three cats make that sound. One is a neutered male and the other a girl kitty. As someone above said it's a happy sound, but also they're seeking attention.

sublimequine
Dec. 22, 2008, 08:10 PM
One of my cats does that. Only the ex-barncat, though, oddly enough. She's also our most talkative cat. You can hold entire conversations with her. Look directly at her and say something, and there's a 99% chance she'll either meow or chirp back at you. :lol:

indigoshorses
Dec. 23, 2008, 02:58 PM

OMG that is such a funny animation!!! So true about trained bladders!!!