PDA

View Full Version : Farm dog with frequent urination and blood - do I call the vet at midnight?

PalominoMorgan
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:41 AM
Hi all. My beloved big dog, Timber, has been slowing down a lot the past year. Tonight the newest symptom was asking to go out about an hour after the last potty run. I watched from the door and she urinated about 5-6 times before asking to come back in the house. An hour later she asked to go out again and I followed her with a headlamp. Pink urine. Great. It's midnight here. Do I call the vet now or wait for a more reasonable time like 6am?

Other info: 10 year old shepherd/?(lab?) mix. Has lumps on her body that the vet has consistently said were fatty lumps not to worry about. Never biopsied them. Also, the last month or so her left nostril seems to have a small growth inside. It hasn't bothered her so I have kept an eye on it. She also has some cloudiness in her eyes that has shown up in the last few months too. I have suspected this would be her last winter, but thus isn't good.

How early do I wake the vet up?

QHmom
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:47 AM
Timber sounds like what our dog did. Ours was urinating with blood a lot. Our vet checked her and found stones in her bladder. The is operable, however, she was older with a murmur. We had to put her down. If she is ok enough- not in too much pain- I would wait till morning and call first off. Our dog also had tumors and bumps too..attributed to old age. Good luck.

Simkie
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:49 AM
If you have a vet you can call at midnight, I would.

If you have an emergency clinic, I would take her in.

I have been told by my human vets (er, doctors) that a kidney infection is as serious as pneumonia.

I, personally, would not be willing to risk my older dog going septic.

jetsmom
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:50 AM
I know that horse urine can appear to be bloody if it is in the snow. Did your dog pee in the snow? Any way to get a urine sample? (A margarine cup (clean) on a stick can catch urine...ck it under a light.)

If I were positive there was blood in the urine, I would take him to an ER clinic.

Please update us and let us know how he is.

PalominoMorgan
Dec. 20, 2008, 01:00 AM
Got a sample. Its pink. :( Calling 24hr clinic to see what they think about me waking up regular vet.

PalominoMorgan
Dec. 20, 2008, 08:39 AM
Off to the vet clinic after I put the horses out. *sigh*

Sing Mia Song
Dec. 20, 2008, 08:50 AM
If this is an unneutered dog, prostatitis is high on the rule out list (it's lower, but still there, if he's neutered). Hopefully it's just a UTI, but either way they're pretty painful.

shea'smom
Dec. 20, 2008, 09:01 AM
Jingles! Let us know what you find out. Hope it is good news.

MajMeadowMorgans
Dec. 20, 2008, 10:34 AM
Jingling like mad for my buddy Timber!

Simkie
Dec. 20, 2008, 02:05 PM
If this is an unneutered dog, prostatitis is high on the rule out list (it's lower, but still there, if he's neutered). Hopefully it's just a UTI, but either way they're pretty painful.

The dog is female :confused:

FlashGordon
Dec. 20, 2008, 02:26 PM
Oh Man PM just what you needed huh?

I am surprised your vet has not biopsied those lumps. Lipomas/fatty tumors usually have a specific "feel" to them but if they change, develop more, etc. most vets will biopsy, no question.

Hope doggy is ok this AM.

Coobie
Dec. 20, 2008, 02:27 PM
Wondering what the news is? Hope Timber is okay!

PalominoMorgan
Dec. 20, 2008, 02:37 PM
Well, Timber, baby, and I went off to the 24 hour clinic this morning. I brought a sample with me that the vet remarked had "lots of chunks" in it. Did a urinalysis and just called with the results. No specific bacteria in the sample, but high white and red blood cell counts. *sigh* The vet didn't say it, but I was an animal science major. I'm so sick of the damn "C" word lately. Mom is gearing up for battle number 5 with cancer and now maybe my big dog. Ugh.

Anyway, Timber was happy to take her meds down with a sausage biscuit from McDonalds. We tried for chicken nuggets but they weren't serving lunch at 11am. :huh:

So, we'll give the meds a week and see what happens. The emergency clinic is faxing results to my regular vet (who called after I had just agreed to pay the emergency call fee. *sigh*) They also commented that the urine pH was quite high and they would recommend a prescription diet to try to lower the pH - Walthom SO I think. I will look that up later when the kiddo goes down for a nap.

pintopiaffe
Dec. 20, 2008, 08:03 PM
Awww.... :cry:

I hope you have some more time with her... :sadsmile: