PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Mice!...a rant!

equusvilla
Dec. 19, 2008, 12:04 PM
Living above a barn has it's appeal...and a few disadvantages as well. One of the downsides seems to be the constant fight to keep mice out of our home. Obviously the barn cats do a good job with population control, but they only patrol the outside area. Once a mouse finds his way into either the laundry room or the tack room, they eventually find a passage way upstairs....and the fight begins.

We do not use any kind of poison. With other small animals around, we were worried that if a dog or cat got ahold of a sick mouse, ate it, then we would then have a sick cat or dog on our hands! Other traps include old fashioned spring traps, new fashioned spring traps that cage the mouse, and sticky pads. We started with the spring traps. These are very dangerous to set as a good one will snap your fingers as you try to bait it no less than 3 times, sending your brain into warp panic and your eyes flooded with tears! Once set, you still have the task of placing it in the desired spot without tripping it too. These seems to work ....at first. Our first kill was disgusting - but quick and easy.... I threw the entire thing away..trying not to look at it.

The second trapping was a bit more adventurous. Promptly at 3:26AM I heard a loud SNAP. I immediately opened my eyes as my head flew up from the pillow. The following bangs and screams (from the mouse - not me) sent me flying down the hall and into the pantry. I found a screaming mouse jumping from one shelf to another and running in circles, dragging the trap behind him since his tail was the only part captured. I used what was readily handy....plastic Walmart bags (Many of them!) using them as a barrier and swooped the mouse up. I took a small screw driver with me and outside I went. Thankfully I was wearing a night gown, but it was very cold. No matter - all the way down the driveway I went, into the darkness of night to let my captor go. I dropped him out of the bunch of scrunched up bags and off he ran....with trap still in tow I went flying after him and stepped on the trap...more screaming (..this time by both of us) and with one flick of the screw driver - the mouse was free. Okay - 2 down..but I was pretty sure there was at least 1 more.

Rebaiting the old trap and going back to the store to buy a few more, I could only find a newer version of the spring trap. This newer one had a larger bright yellow platform to place the bait on. No matter - I bought it anyway. It was easier to set and bait without getting injured and that made me happy. What I had not realized - was that mouse #3 had been patiently waiting on the sidelines and taking notes! He was going to be more of a challenge...

Morning number 1, two traps still there, untripped..with the bait missing! "Wow - how did he do that?" I wondered. I reset them, this time really pressing the cheese onto the trap platform.

Morning number 2, two traps still there, untripped..with the bait MISSING! "I can't believe this! Maybe there is something wrong with the traps!"I went to the store and found a new kind of spring trap that actually locks the mouse inside! I baited them and placed them into the pantry.

Morning number 3, Two enclosed traps, untripped and untouched..

Morning number 4, two enclosed traps, untripped and untouched... Obviously - the mouse did not approve! Back to the store to buy 1 more package of the old fashioned traps. I reset them, THIS TIME I super glued the bait onto the trap!"That will get the little shit!" Grinch smile creeping over my face!

Morning number 5, two traps still there, UNTRIPPED AND EMPTY! "Can you believe this? "How could he have gotten the bait off of the platform when it was glued onto it??? That is it! We are going to use the big guns now!" I told Don to buy the sticky traps we had seen - but not wanted to resort to. He brought them home and Emily set them for me.

Morning number 6, 2 sticky traps ...one with a sticky mouse stuck to it...screaming! I did not discover it until I was about to leave for work, so Don was going to try to get him unstuck and let him go in the woods.(he cannot stand any animal to suffer) 2 hours later I get a call from home. It was Don...with a screaming mouse in the background, poor Don was so stressed and unable to free the mouse. He himself was now stuck to the trap and trying to come up with more ideas. I could not come up with anything other than offering to sacrifice one of my spatulas so he could again try to get him off ....Don was not happy!

Mouse memorial service tonight - 8PM..in the back yard!

Holly Jeanne
Dec. 19, 2008, 01:02 PM
That was a soap opera. You have my sympathy. I was at my neighbor's house shortly before last Christmas when her hubby walks into the room and announces there is a mouse looking at him from the ground level cabinet. I'm sure she didn't appreciate him announcing it with me there. :lol: Anyway, she said they had been having problems and didn't understand it since they have a couple of barn cats that patrol between the house and barn. She asked if I had any problems. Nope. I have 3 house cats. If a mouse is bold enough to come in, the cats sit and stare at the cabinet door (usually where the trash can is). I take the trash out and leave the door open for a day or two. The mouse either leaves or gets eaten. I usually don't know which but the problem resolves itself without action on my part.

JenRose
Dec. 19, 2008, 01:05 PM
My morning mouse story...

I prep the morning feed for my 4 beasties the night before. Each has their own 8qt bucket and I cover them with the bucket buddy velcro thingies (ordered from smartpak).

This morning I strolled up to the barn in my robe (ahhh, the pleasure of living in BFE and keeping my horses at home) and went in the feed room. My trusty barn kitty Angus was by my side. I un-velcroed the cover on the first bucket and as I was lifting it off a mouse launched out of the bucket and attached himself to the shawl part of my robe. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: EEEEK to infinity!

I am not a screamer and am generally not afraid of mice, but I freaked the f out!!! I was screeching and screaming and flinging feed and buckets. Meanwhile the cat stared up at me watching as the poor mouse detached himself from my robe and scurried away. :mad:

Lord, I think I lost 10 years off my life!

grayarabpony
Dec. 19, 2008, 01:26 PM
Have you tried using peanut butter as bait?

equusvilla
Dec. 19, 2008, 01:35 PM
I have used:
Peanut Butter
Peanuts
Crackers
Cheese
Grilled Cheese
Lunch meat
and...
Sugar cookies!

IOW - whatever was handy...and trust me - every one of them was mouse approved!

2DogsFarm
Dec. 19, 2008, 01:44 PM
My barncat seems to be keeping the barn rodent population in check.
And in nicer weather no problem inside the house.

But once it gets chilly the fieldmice decide they will leave the barren fields for my house where they know a nice trash can will be waiting with all sorts of goodies. Kind of like Old Country Buffet for Varmints.
Many evenings I open the door under the sink and surprise a "diner" - usually we both EEK! and mouse vanishes back down whatever crevice he emerged from.
Sometimes they make the fatal error of "escaping" into the house, where housecat takes up the chase and then it's 50/50 as to whether the mouse finds another bolthole or the cat has Sushi.
Last Winter housecat decimated an entire family - she spent one evening bringing me mouse after mouse - each one smaller than the next: Papa, Mama, Big Bro, Little Sis - they all were brought for my inspection and carried gingerly (by their tails - those little buggers bite!) to the front door where they entered the Cold Cruel World.

equusvilla: I cannot use those sticky traps - they don't kill and leave me with the choice of A)dispatching the stuck mouse myself or B)putting trap & mouse into the trash. I am a coward and generally choose option B

Blue Yonder
Dec. 19, 2008, 01:45 PM
The smart cousins of your smart mice live in my house. Or more correctly, liveD.

Traps set....traps empty of bait and mice the next morning. For days and days and weeks...

Know what bait started catching the little buggers? Feta cheese. It smears like peanut butter and must taste so good that they get less careful. I caught more mice than I care to admit to anyone. Yuck! Then bleached every surface in my kitchen!!!

"Feta cheese. It's what's for mouse dinner."

equusvilla
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:08 PM
So it was obvious we had another mouse...you know the signs:
Little holes in things like pasta bags and cereal boxes.
Small brown turds (can I say turds on this forum??)
...and they just smell..and they don't have to be dead to stink!

Well - one evening I was taking a bath. I turned off the water and immediately heard a scratching noise. Our Corgi dog was sitting - starring with her head cocked to one side. This noise was coming from directly across the room, which is where our kitchen is. I jump out of the tub, didn't bother to dry myself instead opting to just use my robe as a makeshift towel. I quietly tip toe ...closer and closer I move towards the sound.

Ewwwweee gross - it is coming from our untensil drawer!

I quickly fling open the drawer. I still hear the scurring sound of mouse nails on wood, but I see nothing - why? because the plastic thingy that sits inside the drawer and holds your utensils in place is over the mouses circular race track. I jerk the plastic holder out of the drawer, utensils go flying...before I think about what I might use to actually catch the mouse.. and there the little stinker is..running around and around in circles inside the drawer! My eyes are following it as I just stand there (like an idiot) trying to decide what to do. Then with one lightening fast motion, the mouse leaps out of the drawer and actually runs down the face of my dishwasher.

My trusty Corgi - Chrissy was standing right there and scooped the mouse up into her mouth. Yeah Chrissy!!!!! ..but sorry, you may not get any kisses for a really long time!

I was so elated, I ran over to the door, flung it wide open and called her name.
"Chriiiiiiissy, Come!"
Excited, her eyes opened widely, she turned her head to the left, literly spit the mouse out and then she ran outside ...wiggleing her little Corgi tail might I add! and the mouse scampered underneath the refrigerator...

I just stood there....soaking wet..with my mouth wide open...

MistyBlue
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:11 PM
Mice and rats both learn and adapt extremely quickly. It's the main reason they're such a pest...next to impossible to trick for long.
Poison baits work because they don't kill the mouse immediately...there's no learning curve time. The mouse dies hours or even days later. But poison bait does have risks with pets around.
Do you have an indoor/apartment cat? They do an excellent job at keeping mouse sightings down inside the home. Ferrets also work well but they smell if not descented and then bathed on a regular basis. (they smell a bit like cat urine, but they're funny as hell to have around)
Or you can call an exterminator...I think they now have pet-friendly mouse killing techniques. Expensive option though.
I got a giggle out of your post though...not that *that* is any help to you. But I can sympathize...while I certainly wouldn't want mice running around my house I'm also incapable of being cold hearted for ones suffering caught in traps that don't instantly kill them. I'm the moron who would trap one and then rehab it. :lol:
There are Rat Zappers too...they kill mice and small to medium sized rats instantly and as long as you clean them out fast the other mice don't learn to avoid them too quickly.

equusvilla
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:19 PM
We actually do have 2 indoor cats..but they have to live in only part of our home since I am allergic.

Brookes
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:28 PM
Hell you guys are ahead of the game here. I have a freaking idiot cat that brings the filthy little rodents (live mind you) into the house and sets them free. Then she has a wonderful time playing with them for days. (note to self: nail cat door shut . . .soon)

Last weekend I was standing at the top of the stairs with the dogs (useless beasts) and the cat (even more useless beast) watching one of the little suckers boink from stair to stair all the way down to the living room. Last seen scurrying under the sofa. (still haven't caught the sucker!) Not one of them even chased it!!! They are unatural creatures my pets.

So what does kitty do. She goes out and catches another one for upstairs fun.

She finally killed the thing about 3 nights ago. How did we know. . . cause the dogs were standing on our heads (2:00 a.m.) terrified of the little dead mousy on the master bathroom floor. I have a 70 pound irish setter and a 75 pound gordon setter. What's wrong with this picture I ask you???????? The mice she brings in are micro mice, they are sooo small. But dang she gets tons of fun out of them. My life is wierd.

birdsong
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:31 PM
I discovered a tiny, oh so cute field mouse in my pantry one night...only to end up catching too many to confess to, not long after. Got them with the sticky boards which I guess is a really horrible way to die.

In the beginning I found my son was taking them to the end of the driveway and releasing them (probably without half their skin!). I had to tell him that now we just had mice with dirty sticky feet running through the house!

Pregreen
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:42 PM
Our exterminator told me the best way to release a mouse from a sticky trap (I don't use them they are to cruel) is vegetable oil.

Simkie
Dec. 19, 2008, 03:20 PM
Perhaps bucket traps would work for you.

Take 5 gallon bucket--the tall, narrow kind. Place a 2x4 ramp up to the top of the bucket. Put bait inside bucket.

Mice jump down to get bait, can't jump out.

If you want to kill them, add water. (:() If you want to let them go, take the bucket outside.

I have pet mice, and this is how I get my escapees back (happens every now and then...) The other thing you can do is place cotton balls soaked with peppermint essential oil around the house, especially where they're coming in. Mice hate the smell of peppermint.

AilleXWest
Dec. 19, 2008, 03:24 PM
Put of a bucket with a ramp up. They run up fall in and can not get out. If you would like to kill them add a 3-4"+ of water if not just take the bucket outside once you have them.

Auventera Two
Dec. 19, 2008, 03:32 PM
Awwwwwwwwwww :sadsmile:

I love mice. The poor things. I too have a stupid mouse saga going on right now. I keep my grain in a large chest freezer, that has no power going to it. One day I forgot to shut the lid, and somehow a mouse (obviously 2 mice or opposing genders!) got into it and I did not know it. I figure they got in because there was a bag of alfalfa cubes leaned up against the freezer. They must have climbed the cubes and dropped over into the freezer. (This thing is 4 feet deep.) They tunneled to the bottom of the grain. I feed VERY little grain - just a couple cups a day - so this grain bin just stays pretty much undisturbed.

I started noticing hulls on top of the grain and got very suspicious. So I started scooping the grain out. After about 2 scoops, mice were running EVERYWHERE. I swear to god there is more than 100 mice in my grain bin!!!!! :eek: :(

Well, obviously I cannot feed that grain! So I went and bought new, and put it into rubbermaid tubs with lids. It's the dead of winter here and we have 14" of snow on the ground. I cannot just free them in the woods, they'll die! So I put a water dish in there, and I clean it and refill it every day.

My husband told me to just drop a smoke bomb in there and shut the lid, come back in a few hours and scoop out all the grain and the dead bodies, and chuck it all on the compost pile.

Oh SURE. A mouse holocaust. Like THAT won't haunt me for the rest of my life.

So now I'm running a mouse farm until spring when I can turn them loose in the woods.

Simkie
Dec. 19, 2008, 03:35 PM
So now I'm running a mouse farm until spring when I can turn them loose in the woods.

Awwwww.

Auventera Two
Dec. 19, 2008, 03:37 PM
Hell you guys are ahead of the game here. I have a freaking idiot cat that brings the filthy little rodents (live mind you) into the house and sets them free. Then she has a wonderful time playing with them for days. (note to self: nail cat door shut . . .soon)

Last weekend I was standing at the top of the stairs with the dogs (useless beasts) and the cat (even more useless beast) watching one of the little suckers boink from stair to stair all the way down to the living room. Last seen scurrying under the sofa. (still haven't caught the sucker!) Not one of them even chased it!!! They are unatural creatures my pets.

So what does kitty do. She goes out and catches another one for upstairs fun.

She finally killed the thing about 3 nights ago. How did we know. . . cause the dogs were standing on our heads (2:00 a.m.) terrified of the little dead mousy on the master bathroom floor. I have a 70 pound irish setter and a 75 pound gordon setter. What's wrong with this picture I ask you???????? The mice she brings in are micro mice, they are sooo small. But dang she gets tons of fun out of them. My life is wierd.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our Irish Setter used to sniff out baby bunny nests, and then carry the teenie baby bunnies home one at a time! We were constantly having to bottle feed and then release these bunnies!

Daydream Believer
Dec. 19, 2008, 03:42 PM
My working student who lives in our barn apartment has been in a battle with mice this winter also. She has this trap that lets the mouse enter the box to get the bait an then it electrocutes them. She refuses to empty it and I have to do it for her! I have not been present for the execution of an unlucky mouse but she says they sometimes "scream." To say the least it is an unpleasant thing to have to deal with. I'm about to borrow her trap and put it in my kitchen...I have them in my house also.

One of my worse mouse experiences was opening the feed bin and having a crazed terrified mouse leap out at me and nearly hit me in the face. I fell over backward in fright and startlement. Killing the mouse was quite an adventure that my Stepfather took on as it jumped and leaped at everyone. I kind of felt sorry for it...it was a fighter.

Daydream Believer
Dec. 19, 2008, 03:46 PM

You do realize that they will all be back next winter with their offspring to live on the bounty of your farm? :lol:

Auventera Two
Dec. 19, 2008, 04:01 PM
You do realize that they will all be back next winter with their offspring to live on the bounty of your farm? :lol:

Ok, then you'll be receiving a priority shipment by next Tuesday! Be sure to open it quickly, as the contents are temperature sensitive, and will be thirsty! :lol:

That'll teach you to put your address on your website! LMAO!!!

hipy
Dec. 19, 2008, 05:07 PM
Thank God I am not alone. I am HORRIFIED with mice in my house right now. I know exactly where they are getting in, dryer vent and tomorrow we are putting a metal screen there..........but one in particular has brass balls and I want it DEAD. Like clockwork every evening it runs from the couch to behind the entertainment center. After we put up the Xmas tree and made his little Poo corner exposed, now he goes from couch to entertainment center then OVER the Xmas presents and UNDER THE COUCH I AM LAYING ON............bastard. Scares me to death, I have peppermint oil everywhere but don't have the cajones to trap and kill them. I DO NOT want to deal or even look at a dead/dying mouse.

And the SMELL, uhghghghghg my laundry room reeks. Thank God for our maids.

equusvilla
Dec. 19, 2008, 05:08 PM
Okay - so now I do not feel so bad! I thought I was maybe the only one with this problem. I love having a nice clean house...and somehow - little mice running and pooping and chewing into my food just does not fit into that picture!

Daydream Believer
Dec. 19, 2008, 05:53 PM
Ok, then you'll be receiving a priority shipment by next Tuesday! Be sure to open it quickly, as the contents are temperature sensitive, and will be thirsty! :lol:

That'll teach you to put your address on your website! LMAO!!!

Don't send them here. They will be eaten by barn cats or JRT's! :lol: You wouldn't want any harm to come to them would you? ;):winkgrin:

Tiki
Dec. 19, 2008, 06:21 PM
I never knew if my house cats would catch or kill mice, until I found a present in one of my shoes one day. Thank God I looked before I stuck my foot in. :lol:

My JRT, however, has his Master Mouser's license. I was absolutely overrun last year. The horrible little creatures completely invaded my garage. The dog food and the horse feed are all in very tight containers, but the mice came in anyway. They couldn't get into the feed, but they shredded all kinds of stuff, made nests, did the nasty and produced tons of baby mice. They would talk to each other across the garage. I finally told Winston, enough is enough - KILL the little ba$tard$!!!! :D

He went crazy. He pointed them out like a pointer when they tried to hide under his dog house. When he pointed, I had to quickly pull out the dog house and he would snap them up. Once he got 5 - one right after the other. He has an assistant, Frisbee - a northern dog cross from the pound. She's good, but not at all in Winston's league. She does help him, though. If one gets away and runs towards her, she will snap him up. Her brother and the other 2 dogs are absolutely useless!! :no:

I hate them meeces to pieces. A ramp into a trash barrell with about 6 inches of water with oats floating on top works well, too. I have NEVER had any luck with my Rat Zapper, and now also no luck with the new electronic rat zapper that looks like a country mailbox. Bait gone, no dead rat. I finally resorted to poison and stuffed it deep down the ratholes with a long stick.

I hate them meeces and rats to pieces!!!!!

I had 2 of my cats with me in Germany when I was in the Army. They used to go out into the fields and bring back giant, grandfather mice (not rats, but huge mice). They would lay them out for me - BUT - they also would jump up onto the back porch and mrow in a funny voice to come in. I found out the funny mrow, instead of a loud meow, meant they had live mice in their mouths. They used to bring them in and then proceed to torture them and play 'chase' with them. They would finally get tired of the game and kill them. The neighbors LOVED them. They rid the fields of mice! :winkgrin:

JanM
Dec. 19, 2008, 06:41 PM
Years ago we had a typical softy Labrador/Golden cross who never hurt anything in her life until----one day we came home and the next door neighbor (male) met us in the driveway and was virtually hysterical. A rat ran out of his compost pile and into our backyard, and Buffy played with it for hours until she killed it, she then proceeded to walk around with it in her mouth with the idiot next door trying to coax her over to the fence to give it to him. When he told my dad this, dad walked in the yard, grabbed it out of her mouth and disposed of it. Buffy looked so disappointed about the loss of her pet. (The neighbor could have stood there for days waiting for her to drop anything-she would fetch but wouldn't give anything up).

My parents had mice in the attic and the final straw was the night that the mice were apparently starting a volleyball league up there-you could hear them charging around on the attic floor. When there are that many they don't care about bait, they just run right into the traps--I think there were seven or eight dead ones in traps the next day.

If you get the spring traps use rat traps not mouse size.

MajesticDynasty
Dec. 19, 2008, 06:46 PM
I hate mice. And I have a phobia of dead bodies. So yeah Daydream Believer gets to dispose of the bodies. I think they've learned that my apartment is a death room :lol: I haven't really seen any. Maybe one every couple of days and my vicious dog isn't hiding anymore :rolleyes: My poor dog (chow/shep mix) is scared of the mice.
The electric mouse trap always worked great. There's like 2 or 3 lil turns in there so the mouse once it gets to the end and get electrocuted it is a lot harder to run back. My dad said he got it at Rite Aid for $20.

MistyBlue
Dec. 19, 2008, 10:15 PM
AV2...when you relocate those mice...drive them somewhere far, far away. Do not touch them. And when you empty whatever is left in that freezer, triple bag it and use a HazMat suit. Then I'd personally throw that freezer out. Or you can bleach, bleach, bleach it and then soak it in bleach. The amount of diseases breeding in an enclosed inbred environment will be astronomical. It most likely started out with one already pregnant female, not two opposite gender mice. Those will be a controlled colony of excessively inbred mice...in a sealed environment who cannot get away from their own feces and urine.

H.Morgan
Dec. 19, 2008, 11:45 PM
This fall for the first time I started seeing mice in my feed room, I HATE trap's and worried about poison so I cleaned the feed room, made sure all feed was closed up and put a cat bed in there, still had mice. I was shopping at bed bath and beyond and in the "as seen on TV" section I saw riddex plus spent $15 on it and after a week didn't see any more mice or droppings!! I got it back in September.

Riddex plus is a plug in "digital pulse technology" it's suppose to work by sending a pulse in the wiring and get rid of mice, rats, and insects I have no clue if it will work on insects but for $15 to get rid of the mice I'm very happy.
:D

jetsmom
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:04 AM
I used an electronic rodent deterrent at a duplex that I rent out, and mice left. Maybe a couple of those would work.

WaningMoon
Dec. 20, 2008, 06:35 AM
Has anyone else ever called the ppl at D-Con and spoke with them. I did yrs ago. I had a bunch of mice around, the cats weren't eating them, and I wanted to put down D-Con but didn't want any harm to come to my cats, dogs,peafowl or pheasants.

They had me speak to their vet, anyway they said he was, he seemed very knowledgeable. He told me to put the poison in spots where the animals could not themselves get into it and not to worry. He said by the time the rodent is killed by the warfarin that it is not any longer a danger to the animals, that once it is digested by the mouse it is no longer able to act the same in another animal who possibly could eat the mouse. Apparently it breaks down and is no longer active. Also said the amount a mouse eats is not dangerous to a cat or dog. I don't know if he was right or not but I've been using it now for 15 yrs since I talked with him and harm has come to not one other animal and we are free of rodents. I called the 800 # on the box.

However, this is just for that brand. I had a landlord once who brillantly gutted a house where the ppl lived like hogs and he buried the garbage in the back yard in this huge pit he dug. I was unaware of this when we moved in. It was also right by a large creek just up from a river which will also draw river rats. These rats were getting run over in front of the houise and the kids hated waiting for the bus with them dead in the road. Landlord came and threw down bar bait and within three days all my peafowl and pheasants were dead and we found dead mice in their guts when I took them dead up to the vet where I worked.

Quick mouse story. AS kids growing up in my moms nursing home we lived in a 22 room old victorian house which was a mouses dream. We had an old Hoosier cupboard. The bread drawer had a gap at the very front of it where the drawer bottom met the drawer front. Like a inch or so gap, don't know why. My sister opened the drawer and there were two mice in there. They started running to the front of the drawer, she screamed and slammed the drawer shut. Looking at the closed drawer from the outside there were two little mouse heads sticking out. They had both ran for that gap and then were almost decapitated when she slammed it shut. Very effective but one of those once in a lifetime things.

bird4416
Dec. 20, 2008, 08:45 AM
AV2...when you relocate those mice...drive them somewhere far, far away. Do not touch them. And when you empty whatever is left in that freezer, triple bag it and use a HazMat suit. Then I'd personally throw that freezer out. Or you can bleach, bleach, bleach it and then soak it in bleach. The amount of diseases breeding in an enclosed inbred environment will be astronomical. It most likely started out with one already pregnant female, not two opposite gender mice. Those will be a controlled colony of excessively inbred mice...in a sealed environment who cannot get away from their own feces and urine.

Ewwwww. gross.

allpurpose
Dec. 20, 2008, 09:41 AM
I am not currently dealing with a mouse problem (thank you JRT), so I am able to laugh my head off at these stories. I feel for ya, really, but these are hilarious!!:yes:

Daydream Believer
Dec. 20, 2008, 09:53 AM

Yup...the Hantavirus is a real concern. :yes:

http://www.dhpe.org/infect/hanta.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus

greysandbays
Dec. 20, 2008, 01:30 PM
My most successful mouse-trap bait has been popcorn (popped, not the raw kernels).

I hate killing things just to be killing them, so I always drag the dead mice down to the barn to give to the cats.

Though I'm hoping that in my new living situation, starting in a mouse-free enviroment, I can KEEP it that way...

Also, "catch and release" mice WILL find their way back in.

~Freedom~
Dec. 20, 2008, 01:47 PM
I started noticing hulls on top of the grain and got very suspicious. So I started scooping the grain out. After about 2 scoops, mice were running EVERYWHERE. I swear to god there is more than 100 mice in my grain bin!!!!! :eek: :(

Well, obviously I cannot feed that grain! So I went and bought new, and put it into rubbermaid tubs with lids. It's the dead of winter here and we have 14" of snow on the ground. I cannot just free them in the woods, they'll die! So I put a water dish in there, and I clean it and refill it every day.

My husband told me to just drop a smoke bomb in there and shut the lid, come back in a few hours and scoop out all the grain and the dead bodies, and chuck it all on the compost pile.

Oh SURE. A mouse holocaust. Like THAT won't haunt me for the rest of my life.

HOLIDAY STEW

First make sure you have the most freshest of ingredients.

Make sure the tails and feet are removed. Also make sure they don't have any "innards" left and ensure they are properly skinned.

With a large pot slice fresh vegetables including potatoes,carrots,peas, beans and whatever other veggies you like. Since the meat ingredient will be a bit lean and small I would suggest a good bone from an old roast. I use the store bought gravy to save time.

Stir constantly and after about 45 minutes on a medium heat add the mice bits. It usually requires about 50 mice to make up enough meat.

Stir for about another 30 minutes and serve.:)

citydog
Dec. 20, 2008, 01:52 PM

Indeed. They'll also start eating eachother when the population reaches a certain point (if they haven't already).

D-Con 'em. You aren't being kind to them.

greysandbays
Dec. 20, 2008, 03:29 PM
HOLIDAY STEW

Make sure the tails and feet are removed. Also make sure they don't have any "innards" left and ensure they are properly skinned.

With a large pot slice fresh vegetables including potatoes,carrots,peas, beans and whatever other veggies you like. Since the meat ingredient will be a bit lean and small I would suggest a good bone from an old roast. I use the store bought gravy to save time.

Stir constantly and after about 45 minutes on a medium heat add the mice bits. It usually requires about 50 mice to make up enough meat.

In the book "Never Cry Wolf", there is a recipe for creamed mouse. The author claimes to have taken to eating mice as an experiment to see if a relatively large animal (like a wolf) could actually survive eating mice, since that was about all he ever saw his study subjects eating when common wisdom was that wolves killed moose, caribou, whatever, by the thousands.

After starting with skinned and gutted mice, and finding himself craving fat, he concluded his exeriment was flawed because of course, wolves ate the WHOLE mouse. He rectified that omission and carried on. To the conclusion that yes, wolves probably could most certainly survive, even thrive, eating mice.

:D

bird4416
Dec. 20, 2008, 03:29 PM
HOLIDAY STEW

That just sounds so yummy.:lol:

ThreeFigs
Dec. 20, 2008, 06:55 PM
Auventera, I'd take that whole freezer away and bury it. I agree that you are doing those mice no favor, with them (in)breeding indiscriminately, no way out, eating their young, etc., etc.

Nasty, just nasty.

ToTheNines
Dec. 20, 2008, 07:01 PM
Ditto on the peppermint oil. Got them out of my house using dabs of peppermint oil on a folded up papertowel.

bird4416
Dec. 20, 2008, 07:40 PM
I guess mice don't like minty fresh breath.:D

carla54
Dec. 21, 2008, 01:25 PM
I was at a rodent and vermin seminar in October ( I work for a local Health Department) and one of the Biologists and an exterminator told us to use Hershey's Chocolate Syrup as bait. I tried it, as my enclosed porch was overrun with the little buggers, and within about ten minutes, I had my first two victims. I put syrup on two traps and peanut butter on two, and consistently caught mice in the syrup traps, rarely in the pb traps. I caught about 15 (ugh!) over about a weeks time and haven't caught any additional for a couple of weeks now. Needless to say, I am sold on the Hershey's syrup bait.:yes:

Bluey
Dec. 21, 2008, 01:43 PM
I use those squeeze cheese cans and smear a little cheese on the bait holder.
That never fails, they can't possibly get it off without setting the trap off.

The dog and I spent last night hearing a mouse in the wall, scratching around.
Don't know how they get in there, a few a year and then die and smell terribly for a few days.
The trouble is that I think they are in the place that has the wiring, going by the smell that comes out of the electric outlet and where my dog stared all night.:(

We don't get but a few a year in the attick and in the wall, none yet in the house.

For those with mice in the house and holes around the pipes, get some steel wool at the grocery store or hardware store and push in around the pipes and no more mice.
Check the laundry vents and other such places.

greysandbays
Dec. 21, 2008, 05:05 PM
I was at a rodent and vermin seminar in October ( I work for a local Health Department) and one of the Biologists and an exterminator told us to use Hershey's Chocolate Syrup as bait. I tried it, as my enclosed porch was overrun with the little buggers, and within about ten minutes, I had my first two victims. I put syrup on two traps and peanut butter on two, and consistently caught mice in the syrup traps, rarely in the pb traps. I caught about 15 (ugh!) over about a weeks time and haven't caught any additional for a couple of weeks now. Needless to say, I am sold on the Hershey's syrup bait.:yes:

I will NOT, NOT, NOT share my chocolate with a bunch of damn MICE!!!!! :eek: :D

Auventera Two
Dec. 22, 2008, 11:08 AM
Auventera, I'd take that whole freezer away and bury it. I agree that you are doing those mice no favor, with them (in)breeding indiscriminately, no way out, eating their young, etc., etc.

Nasty, just nasty.

Oh I agree, it's nasty! I've been agonizing over what to do with them! :eek: I admit to leaving the freezer door open, and putting the barn cat in the feed room for the night. The next morning I found about 10 dead bodies. I've done this a few nights, and their numbers are probably 1/3 what they were. But she seems to have now lost interest. I think I'm going to poison the rest of them because honestly I don't want to deal with them for another 4 months until spring.

ThreeFigs
Dec. 22, 2008, 11:30 AM
Good for you! Now you're talking sense.

yellowbritches
Dec. 22, 2008, 12:41 PM
At least you don't live where these live!!! - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1047724&l=03479&id=840606599

Go Fish
Dec. 22, 2008, 01:16 PM
Take an empty metal garbage can, put a couple of handfuls of grain in the bottom...put garbage can wherever your rodent problem is. (Leave lid off.) Rodents will jump in can to eat grain and can't get out. Once you have the rodent trapped in the garbage can, drop barn cat in. Rodent problem solved...

equusvilla
Dec. 26, 2008, 10:07 AM
Well as you know - the mouse on the sticky trap died...as did his brother who was caught the very next day. Every thing was quiet for about 3 days and then it was back....that smell. I am very sensitive to bad odors...(so why OH why did I want to live above our barn???) I knew there was another mouse by the musty smell. Day after day it was getting worse..but day after day there was no more mice on the sticky traps and the bait was still there too. By day 3 - I could not stand it anymore, so I started to reclean (for about the millionth time!) my pantry. Looking down at the floor, there was the old mouse hotel I had set up weeks ago. I picked it up and it was a bit heavier than I remembered. The closer I got to it...there it was - that horrific smell hit me like a slap in the face! I ran down stairs to dispose of the smell maker at once!

The next several days were event free. I was so thankful too because we were expecting quite a few people over for Christmas Eve dinner! In fact so many days had past, I had almost forgotten that there were still 2 sticky traps in the pantry. Christmas morning, I awoke to feed the animals. The moment I was done, I went back to bed.
"SLAP - SLAP - SLAP!!"
The sound jolted me out of a deep sleep.
"SLAP - SLAP - SLAP"
I looked over at Don and his eyes were wide open too. I threw back the covers and ran out into the kitchen ...only to find our Corgi had a sticky trap on her front foot! I must have left the pantry door open and she found the cheese bait, ate it and in the process stepped onto the trap!
We had to lay her down and pull - with all of our might - to get that thing off of her foot. She was none too happy about it either, thinking we were trying to remove her nails instead of trimming them (which she HATES!) In a comic like fashion, the glue stretched way out before it finally broke loose and even then, her foot still stuck to the wood floor! Thank you so much to the poster who advised that veggie oil removes this substance! That is the only way I was able to remove it from the floor!! As for Chrissy - our dog, we had to put a small piece of paper towel on her paw to keep her from tracking it all over the house!

Tamsin
Dec. 26, 2008, 10:55 AM
Get a few live-catch traps. These little box traps are very easy to set up and bait and are very effective. The mice enter the trap, the door snaps shut, and the mouse is captured unharmed. Then you just take the trap outdoors, preferably far from your home, and let the little critter go. They are humane and don't involve little dead bodies! A lot of damage can be done by just one or a few mice, and they can be so easily removed by this method.

I confess to a fondness for mice--they are cute and don't mean any harm. But I agree that they belong outside and can be really annoying when they move in to your house.

hipy
Dec. 26, 2008, 11:17 AM
Well I went to the grocery store and armed the house with plain old fashioned traps and Pnut butter, sticky traps and bought the things you plug in that are supposed to scare them off with the sound. Is it normal for ME to be able to hear them?? SO far we've caught one a night in the laundry room with the old fashioned traps. THe first one we found after coming home from a Xmas eve party late, so my husband threw the whole thing including dead mouse in the back of a truck, next day, mouse and trap are gone. *shock* some random cat had a great Xmas eve dinner, hee.

ThreeFigs
Dec. 26, 2008, 11:18 AM
Tamsin, that's very sweet that you like mice and all, but live trapping and turning them out only gives them an opportunity to enter someone ELSE's house or barn.

I boarded at a place with a soft-hearted BM. Her apartment (in the barn) had been renovated, but in the process, a horde of mice invaded the place. She was finding mice in and on her brand new quilt in the guest bedroom. Mice were using her windowsills as highways. In the barn, we had mice nesting under the stall mats and under the storage bins. They ran back and forth across the barn aisle right at our feet.

I suggested a barn cat -- she hates cats because they eat birds, so no go. She tried those sonic rodent repellents; the mice were not bothered in the least. She tried the live traps and claimed she was taking the mice far, far away, and indeed she may have been doing so, but the mouse population merrily reproduced faster than she could empty her live traps.

Things finally got so bad she conceded defeat and hired an exterminator. Problem solved. Geez, it's not like mice are an endangered species or anything.

Equusvilla, loved the corgi w. sticky trap story!

dkcbr
Dec. 26, 2008, 03:44 PM
Equusvilla, loved the corgi w. sticky trap story!

:lol: Dittoing that. The perfect denouement to the mousey woes. :lol:

Great thread here!!! :yes:

-- mouse phobic, but no funny or gruesome stories to share...

grayarabs
Dec. 27, 2008, 03:01 PM
Years ago found two things that worked.
1. Tin Cat - for the smaller ones - it is like a metal box maze - place bait - ie peanut or such in there - the mouse enters - cannot get out. Then one must decide what to do with live mouse.
2. Regular traps - repeated stealing of bait - no mouse. Finally took a whole peanut ie in shell - and sewed it to the trap - within hours one less mouse.

Did not see mice for years - now they are back. The bad thing is when they chew wires and knock our your A/C.

Bluey
Dec. 27, 2008, 05:52 PM
One winter in our Quonset barn, the mice ate the whole insulation in our wiring harness off our 1954 grain truck, from the gauges to the tail lights.

Took us several hours to replace it all and run the mice off the seat, that they had made mouse central.:p

With the threat of Hanta virus and other diseases mice and their fleas carry, plus the direct damage they do, we really need to try to keep them off the places humans live and store stuff.
A truce is not in our best interest.

Boomer
Dec. 27, 2008, 08:25 PM
Awwwwwwwwwww :sadsmile:

Since you are running a Mouse Rescue I have at least 12 cute, cuddley little barn mice (and a couple garage mice) available to you immediately.

Note to self: catch mice and send to the Mouse Rescue asap.

Boomer
Dec. 27, 2008, 08:34 PM
INeedless to say, I am sold on the Hershey's syrup bait.:yes:

Hmm... I am going to try that! Fortunately my mouse problem is in the garage and barn.

Did find a little poo evidence one day in the house a while ago - next to the cat food bowl of all places!! I guess my cat has decided she is too old to fool with mousing.

The farm mutts do get the garage mice if they are foolish enough to come out.

mandalea
Dec. 27, 2008, 09:32 PM
We buy a 1 ton bail of hay every now and then, and we keep it on pallets in the back corner of our barn. Our horses just finished it, so me and mum were sweeping up all the leftover bits, and cleaning the pallets, which involves lifting them up. I swear, our whole towns population of mice live in our hay!

It was DISGUSTING! Our German Shepherd had a good time chasing them all over the field though. But we knew they were getting out of control, when we had our first snake (baby yellow belly black) come out of the barn when we went to feed up. And if there is 1 baby, there is likely to be a mum, dad and siblings around somewhere.

We had an infestation in our house when we moved in, and used traditional traps. My dog ended up CHASING a mouse into the trap. She took off after it, and it wasnt watching where it was going, and BANG! it was gone. Zara brought it out and was quite pleased with herself.

Then, we had a family of mice living under dads office, which is a shipping container across the yard. We put out traditional traps, and they didnt work. So we put out the sticky boards, and they didnt go anywhere near them. SO, we got poison baits. Dad put one down next to the fridge, turned, walked to his chair, sat down, and there was a mouse trying to drag the bait under the door.

The poison caused problems for us though. Because it was winter, the mice decided the fridge motor was a cosy place to be, and they died in front of the cooling fan, spreading the smell of their rotting-ness around the office.

Took us ages to find it.

And apparently there are rats around here now that has kitten faces. My aunty saw one in her barn, and said it had a rats body, and a kittens head.

Was quite strange =S

mandalea
Dec. 28, 2008, 04:58 AM
Oh I agree, it's nasty! I've been agonizing over what to do with them! :eek: I admit to leaving the freezer door open, and putting the barn cat in the feed room for the night. The next morning I found about 10 dead bodies. I've done this a few nights, and their numbers are probably 1/3 what they were. But she seems to have now lost interest. I think I'm going to poison the rest of them because honestly I don't want to deal with them for another 4 months until spring.

A friend of mine had an old top load washing machine in her barn. When she went to wash the cotton rugs, there was HUNDREDS of mice. So, she grabbed the cat, stuck him in, shut the lid, and within an hour, all the little bast*rds were dead =]

Auventera Two
Dec. 28, 2008, 08:53 AM
A friend of mine had an old top load washing machine in her barn. When she went to wash the cotton rugs, there was HUNDREDS of mice. So, she grabbed the cat, stuck him in, shut the lid, and within an hour, all the little bast*rds were dead =]

:lol: That's hilarious!

grayarabs
Dec. 28, 2008, 01:54 PM
A thought for catching and not killing outright. Could one donate the mice to a wildlife rehabber - for creatures that eat mice - what - wolves and birds of prey?

ThreeFigs
Dec. 28, 2008, 02:04 PM
Worth asking your local wildlife rehabber!

I can see a little problem, though. You might want to have a "herd" of mice to "donate". I can just see someone coming day after day with one or two mice in live traps.

"Here's a mouse."

"Here's another mouse."

"Hey, look! Today I have two mice!"

Also, didn't somebody earlier in the thread tell a story about frozen mice she was delivering to a friend for her reptiles? Why not just freeze them and take them to the rehabber when you have a bunch? Not for the faint of heart, obviously.

I hate mice. Wouldn't have a problem with it.

Kristen
Dec. 28, 2008, 10:20 PM
Ew, we had mice last year. I wouldn't mind them (they are kinda cute in their little mousey ways) but they are so...unsanitary...they just can't stay. We put down those sticky traps. First night, I wake up because a mouse is caught and leaping around attached to the sticky pad, trying to escape. He made quite a racket! Second night...no mouse. Third night, again no mouse. Something much, much worse was stuck to the pad - a GIANT, hairy spider. And I HATE SPIDERS. God that was terrible. I threw away the traps after that because I was so traumatized. Never did catch that other mouse; I heard him scurrying around for a few days and then he either died or left on his own accord.

ponygrl25
Dec. 30, 2008, 09:16 PM
Luckily we don't seem to have any mice in the house with 4 cats, but I do have one living in the spare truck! I already caught 3 of the FAT little beasts and have at least one left. It had a nice little stash of winter food under a jacket and was sleeping in the center console. Since we never use this truck anymore I want to sell it, but I still have to clean it up and get it inspected. I don't mind mice when I can see them or escape the general mouse area, but in the close quarters of a single cab small truck I'm a wuss.

mandalea
Jan. 16, 2009, 03:39 PM
I cant remember who it was, but somebody mentioned peppermint oil..?

Well, I gave it a go yesterday, and scrubbed my shelf (has ALL my tack, except my saddle) in it, then scrub my containers with warm water, with a generous amount of peppermint in it..

Going to go feed the horses soon, so hopefully it worked, because it rained last night, so all the little miceys would have come inside.

MajMeadowMorgans
Jan. 16, 2009, 04:45 PM
"SLAP - SLAP - SLAP!!"
The sound jolted me out of a deep sleep.
"SLAP - SLAP - SLAP"
I looked over at Don and his eyes were wide open too. I threw back the covers and ran out into the kitchen ...only to find our Corgi had a sticky trap on her front foot! I must have left the pantry door open and she found the cheese bait, ate it and in the process stepped onto the trap!
We had to lay her down and pull - with all of our might - to get that thing off of her foot. She was none too happy about it either, thinking we were trying to remove her nails instead of trimming them (which she HATES!) In a comic like fashion, the glue stretched way out before it finally broke loose and even then, her foot still stuck to the wood floor! Thank you so much to the poster who advised that veggie oil removes this substance! That is the only way I was able to remove it from the floor!! As for Chrissy - our dog, we had to put a small piece of paper towel on her paw to keep her from tracking it all over the house!

HAHAHA, My Husky, Allie got stuck to one. She got stuck with her face.....

Not a happy dog:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=209751264&albumID=1148030&imageID=20865642

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=209751264&albumID=1148030&imageID=20865641

We used GooGone to get it out of her coat. Worked like a charm.