PDA

View Full Version : Whiteboards (dry erase) in the barn

Amwrider
Dec. 18, 2008, 05:45 PM
Why do mine never last for long? Anyone with tips for maintaining the longevity of whiteboards and keeping them, well, white? Mine seem to lose the finish way too quickly and then when you erase you see smears of faint color.

I erase with a dry eraser and from time to time will use the commercial cleaning spray.

Suggestions?

kahjul
Dec. 18, 2008, 06:09 PM
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers make them look new. Don't add water. Now if someone could tell me how to keep the writing on...I use permanent marker for my horses food allergies, but within a week or two, it's weathered blank again.

EventerAJ
Dec. 18, 2008, 06:10 PM
Use alcohol to clean them-- it's the main ingredient in the cleaning sprays. Will also take the fly poop spots off, too. ;)

Peggy
Dec. 18, 2008, 09:04 PM
Vetrolin cleans them up nicely too. More expensive than rubbing alcohol tho.

Based on my experience with them as a teacher, there are some cleaning solutions that make them worse. They look great until you erase and then it's grayboard time. Not sure which ones do that, or even if they're official whiteboard cleaners, b/c the custodial staff cleans ours. How cold is it where you are? On really cold (for Santa Monica anyway, and it's inside, so not really cold at all) mornings you cannot erase the things. Nothing like filling up an entire set of boards with chemistry gobbledegook, only to find out it's unerasable.

(bizarre side note - browser spell-check recognizes gobbledegook, but not three other words in the above)

Amwrider
Dec. 18, 2008, 09:39 PM
Not cold at all, I am in FL. I will try the magic erasers, good idea. I have also been told about the alcohol and Ventrolin but have differing stories. some say it works, others say it takes the finish off.

eponacowgirl
Dec. 18, 2008, 09:42 PM
alcohol takes the finish off ours, but we lose erasability so quickly we've just decided to clean with alcohol and get over the fact that we'll never be able to erase without it!

Simkie
Dec. 18, 2008, 11:43 PM
A guy where I work swears the cleaners take the finish off. He recommends waxing them to put the finish back on.

Haven't done it, so don't know how it works...

My biggest problem with the white board right now is that the pens freeze and don't write. Argh.

Peggy
Dec. 19, 2008, 12:35 AM
Based on my experience in the ed bus, whiteboards differ in quality. The lower quality ones are going to lose erasibility faster, all other factors being equal. Even after being converted to grayboards by the wrong fluid, ours get converted back to whiteboards when they use the correct fluid. And, based on what they look like each AM, they are cleaned each day. But these weren't cheap whiteboards: I was on the committee that designed the building and was horrified at what the things cost.

If you need a cheap solution for a decently large area, the white panels that people use to make showers will work. They die eventually, but no faster than whiteboards that cost more. I learned this trick when we were in a temporary facility after the earthquake and before the new building. Some of the original whiteboards in our lovely trailers died and we replaced the worst ones with the shower panels.

TheOrangeOne
Dec. 19, 2008, 01:45 AM
At work, we had a big window in the manager's office used to log appointments and sales and such. The markers/erasers work great on glass, just wouldn't put it somewhere a horse can get to it.

Woodland
Dec. 19, 2008, 08:25 AM
alcohol takes the finish off ours, but we lose erasability so quickly we've just decided to clean with alcohol and get over the fact that we'll never be able to erase without it!

Ditto

Sparky Boy
Dec. 19, 2008, 08:27 AM
Mine is looking a little tired. I'll need to use some of these tips to clean it.

A little off topic but, my good friend gave me this whiteboard as a gift. It's a huge cut-out of a jumper. I'd love to find another one like it if anyone has seen them for sale somewhere. It's really cool.

Peggy
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:24 PM
Mine is looking a little tired. I'll need to use some of these tips to clean it.

A little off topic but, my good friend gave me this whiteboard as a gift. It's a huge cut-out of a jumper. I'd love to find another one like it if anyone has seen them for sale somewhere. It's really cool.Shower-stall material, suitable saw thing, and old one as a pattern?

TBROCKS
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:36 PM
Alcohol-based hand gel works great for cleaning a whiteboard.

Tom King
Dec. 19, 2008, 03:38 PM
We switched years ago to a blackboard (actually green whatever it is) and chaulk. No worries since. Eraser on a string.

Trixie's mom
Dec. 19, 2008, 06:22 PM
Ultra spray hoof polish remover works great to clean white boards too.

kahjul
Dec. 19, 2008, 11:50 PM
And still no ideas of how to keep the writing from fading off a white board????

Simkie
Dec. 19, 2008, 11:59 PM
How about paint pens?

Chief2
Dec. 20, 2008, 08:20 AM
We switched years ago to a blackboard (actually green whatever it is) and chaulk. No worries since. Eraser on a string.

Yes! Another vote here for traditional farmer technology! Newfangled is nice, but the white boards aren't worth the little problems they create. At least, not to me. :)

Coreene
Dec. 20, 2008, 08:25 AM
Dirtex spray from Home Depot's paint dept.

TBROCKS
Dec. 20, 2008, 08:41 AM

Use a Sharpie marker?

Guin
Dec. 20, 2008, 10:17 AM
For cleaning: Use alcohol. Don't use stuff like "409" or kitchen cleaner; I think it leaves some sort of residue that sticks on the finish. I've been in charge of maintaing our office whiteboards for years, and regular old rubbing alcohol with a paper towel cleans them off the best. Those erasers are useless.

goodhors
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:13 PM
We have a blackboard for messages in the barn. What time you went riding down the road, which direction, so folks know if you don't turn back up. Being family, and alternating chores all the time, we all know what everyone gets when. Any changes are written on a note and stuck on the grain can for a day or two so everyone then knows about it.

You can get a plain panel, spray the blackboard paint on it, couple coats, works very well as a message area. Tie the eraser and a piece of chalk beside board so they don't get lost. You can make boards in fancy shapes or just a size that fits your location.

You could paint acrylic paint on the board with small brush, any permanent information, allergies, emergency numbers. Then if that information changes, get out your chalkboard paint and give the board a new coating or cover the other parts, just spray the place that needs changing. Then put new, correct information on the board.

Using acrylic paint takes a little time to apply, but sure won't get erased accidently. Contrasting color is very noticable. Cheap. Maybe there are some kind of paint sticks I don't know about with small tips that would be fast to paint on board.

Our blackboard started out as a small kid entertainment spot while I was doing chores. They also were allowed to chalk paint the cement aisle floor for pictures or hopscotch games. Does desensitize a horse to odd marks on the ground! Our blackboard is homemade, still going very well after about 14 years of much use. Boxes of chalk, white or colored are inexpensive. In school whiteboards are useful, but they don't do well out in the barn or sunshine. Not what they were designed for. Plastic stuff can be very picky about how long it survives in varous situations.

When your present whiteboard dies, try the shower panels. The white shiny shower panel is an excellent, inexpensive suggestion, for barn message board use. Cut to fit your spot, be exciting with sillouettes of horses. Again, paint the information on, color holds well, so you don't get as frustrated with fading or accidental erasures. You can still use the pricy pens and various cleaners you already have for the shower panel board.

janedoe726
Dec. 20, 2008, 10:49 PM

Yes! Use painter's tape for your lines (If you have any). Very easy to remove if you need to make changes. And Visa-Vis (markers for overhead projectors) don't erase off white boards, but easily come off with cleaner. I too vote NO household cleaners on the whiteboards, but straight alcohol works fine. Also, don't use the cheap markers, and stay away from red-it seems to leave the most residue. This from 12 years teaching experience!!!

kahjul
Dec. 21, 2008, 11:22 AM
Oh, I love the tape idea. Thanks, I'll try it

sopha
Dec. 21, 2008, 12:23 PM
I used a sharpie to put up the phone numbers that I wanted on the white board, but that didn't last all that much longer than regular dry erase marker. I gave up and used a p-touch to make labels that have the information on them. They are tidy and removable! My white board has been up in my barn for 6 years without any problems, but it was fairly expensive and is magnetic.

janedoe726
Dec. 21, 2008, 02:08 PM
Oh, I love the tape idea. Thanks, I'll try it

And if it comes down to it, you can always write on the tape!

Peggy
Dec. 21, 2008, 08:39 PM
If you want to make lines that stay (say to make a grid for horses' names and days of the week), use auto-striping tape. Learned that one here and ours has been going strong for 3 or so years now.

Juneberry
Dec. 21, 2008, 09:00 PM
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers make them look new. Don't add water. Now if someone could tell me how to keep the writing on...I use permanent marker for my horses food allergies, but within a week or two, it's weathered blank again.

Don't use them. Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are very very gentle sanders but not gentle enough to not hurt the finish. it puts small scratches in the surface and will cause the grey board effect after only a little while. however if you already have the grey board effect and you just want to make it clean again for a little while then go for it.

I've had a lot of success with my outside one here in Oregon. It's pretty cheap but I absolutely do not use any cleaners on it.

ShayDarra
Dec. 22, 2008, 10:28 PM
Went through several white boards. I found the longer you left the writing on, the harder it was to get off. Finally switched and only use the white board for permanent phone numbers, etc. and the chalk board for messages, feeding info, etc. And sometimes for funny pictures. My friend who feeds for me drew a wonderful picture of a very angry cat along with a note that I'd accidently locked my cat up in the tack room all day long!

Plus, chalk is much cheaper than dry erase pens.

SD

Grande Isle Farm
Dec. 23, 2008, 10:06 AM
I've got a HUGE whiteboard in the barn it's 4'X6', and is also magnetic. I have had it for going on 10 years now, it's my horses bible. I barely ever clean it with anything but a dry cloth. My information that I write on there does not come off unless I take it off. I have only ever used the dry erase markers on it and it works like a charm. Granted, it was not cheap....It was over $200...10 years ago. I wouldn't trade it for the world.!:)

erinwillow
Dec. 23, 2008, 10:27 AM
Here's my two cents. . .I teach part-time as well as attend grad school so I am always around white boards INSIDE. When I read the post initially I thought. . .oooooh, not a good idea to mix the white boards with all that DUST in the barn. Really, I don't think the two are a good mix. It would seem that the dry erase markers would get pretty clogges up pretty quickly with all that dust. Chalk boards are always a FAV because you don't have that same issue. I'd get a black board one though and not the green. Anywho, Merry Christmas! Here's to a good board no matter what you choose :winkgrin:

Sailor
Dec. 24, 2008, 08:40 AM
http://www.walkerboard.com

Check out the online catalog...they can custom make any board you desire at an affordable price.

I had several boards made for my stable...super nice people to work with!

bludejavu
Dec. 24, 2008, 08:53 AM
Here's my two cents. . .I teach part-time as well as attend grad school so I am always around white boards INSIDE. When I read the post initially I thought. . .oooooh, not a good idea to mix the white boards with all that DUST in the barn. Really, I don't think the two are a good mix. It would seem that the dry erase markers would get pretty clogges up pretty quickly with all that dust. Chalk boards are always a FAV because you don't have that same issue. I'd get a black board one though and not the green. Anywho, Merry Christmas! Here's to a good board no matter what you choose :winkgrin:

You are so right about the dust - I've had a variety of dry erase boards over the years and dust coats them pretty thick. They lasted only a very short time and then the slickness was just gone off of them. I finally resorted to putting the schedule board (for barn help) in the least dusty place I could find and that helped some, to the point where it lasted about twice as long as the others placed in more dusty areas.

eponacowgirl
Dec. 24, 2008, 11:37 AM
Oh, I also got a white board from target that seems to have held up better than others... it's a colored square- metal, magnetic, its not thick like the little ones most people have on stalls- just colored, metal square.

Jo
Dec. 29, 2008, 01:13 PM
Here at the office, we use nail polish remover - even gets permanent ink off.