PDA

View Full Version : This might sound wimpy to some but- Surviving with a cold

yellowbritches
Dec. 18, 2008, 09:52 AM
A lot of COTHers are probably far more hard core than I, I have no doubts about it, so bare with me and don't nag me about being a baby...anyway...

The boss left yesterday for, of all places, Egypt, and will be gone for 10 days. I, of course, after fighting for a couple of weeks, decided to finally succumb to a cold. :mad: So, now I'm alone, in the cold, with 12 horses, and sick. I know some of you just put your head down and go to it, but this isn't standard operating procedure here. Usually, if one of us is sick, the other one takes up the slack to allow the sicko some extra time in bed at home to rest up and get better. This, obviously, is not an option this time around for me.

Thankfully, while the weather will be cold and sloppy, no snow is in the forecast. I would be truly miserable if that were the case! And, there are horses I could ride, but no one is such a priority that I HAVE to ride anyone....most are on vacation anyway.

So, any tips on surviving with a cold? I'm consuming ridiculous amounts of vitamin C, and trying to stay up on cold medicine, but I still feel like my limbs are full of lead and my head is full of snot (which it is). Any wonder cures or tips on getting through this.

JSwan
Dec. 18, 2008, 10:00 AM
I came down with the Martian Death Flu in October. Spouse was gone, someone had stuck an ice pick into my left eye (that's what it felt like), my throat was on fire, I lost my voice, I ached, blah blah blah.

I was alone and had chores to do.

This is what you need - a hot rum toddy. I googled a recipe for you - but you don't have to add all those spices if you don't want to. Drink this and take a nap or go to bed and you'll feel much better. Promise.

1 cup of hot water

1 ounce of dark rum

2 teaspoons of brown sugar

1 teaspoon of creamed butter

2 teaspoons of freshly-squeezed lemon juice

grated nutmeg

dash of powder cinnamon

dash of powdered ginger

hint of powdered cloves

kookicat
Dec. 18, 2008, 10:48 AM
Take meds. I don't know what you can take or have access to, but take something. Give yourself more time to get everything done, because it will take longer. Drink lots of clear liquids, because if you get dehydrated you'll feel worse.

I know how you feel- I've had an awful flu bug. I actualy spent an entire day in bed sleeping :eek: and that's not me.

Can you let some of the less important stuff slide for now? Sweeping yards is one thin I wouldn't do with a cold- the dust makes it even worse.

MistyBlue
Dec. 18, 2008, 10:59 AM
Was going to suggest a hot toddy too..J Swan beat me to it. If it doesn't relieve all your symptoms have a second one and you really won't care if you're sick or not. :lol:
And don't feel bad about feeling "less hard core" about having a bad cold and being solo. While we all suck it up and get things done even if we're crawling to do it...believe you me...we *all* whine like hell when we have to. There's been many a time I've crawled into the house after barn chores, stumbled to a carpeted area and fallen face down and spent my time mumbling, "How ****ing stupid can I be? Oh I just HAD to bring the horses home...I just HAD to do it all myself...why the HELL don't I have back up help...why the HELL do I do this?" :yes: Yup, we all do as tough as we try to appear to the outside. Heck, I even refuse to let hubby see how sick I've been in the past...I'm usually too busy being pissed at him for not being sick, LOL!

kookicat
Dec. 18, 2008, 11:01 AM
Was going to suggest a hot toddy too..J Swan beat me to it. If it doesn't relieve all your symptoms have a second one and you really won't care if you're sick or not. :lol:
And don't feel bad about feeling "less hard core" about having a bad cold and being solo. While we all suck it up and get things done even if we're crawling to do it...believe you me...we *all* whine like hell when we have to. There's been many a time I've crawled into the house after barn chores, stumbled to a carpeted area and fallen face down and spent my time mumbling, "How ****ing stupid can I be? Oh I just HAD to bring the horses home...I just HAD to do it all myself...why the HELL don't I have back up help...why the HELL do I do this?" :yes: Yup, we all do as tough as we try to appear to the outside. Heck, I even refuse to let hubby see how sick I've been in the past...I'm usually too busy being pissed at him for not being sick, LOL!

:uhoh:

:yes::yes::yes:

MistyBlue
Dec. 18, 2008, 11:06 AM
LMAO...you get mean when you have a cold too Kooki? I might be a happy cartoon character 95% of the time but if I get really sick I'm a freaking bear to be around. And I hate healthy people then too. Poor hubby has to hear, "If I wanned to hear frub an ath hole I would hab farted...now go 'way!"

kookicat
Dec. 18, 2008, 11:09 AM
LMAO...you get mean when you have a cold too Kooki? I might be a happy cartoon character 95% of the time but if I get really sick I'm a freaking bear to be around. And I hate healthy people then too. Poor hubby has to hear, "If I wanned to hear frub an ath hole I would hab farted...now go 'way!"

Yep. I'm not nice when I'm sick. Just want to be left alone, and my SO loves to mother hen me. Poor man, he's only trying to be nice to me and I end up biting his head off. After five years, you think he would have learned! :eek::winkgrin: Luckily, I don't get sick that often. :lol:

yellowbritches
Dec. 18, 2008, 11:16 AM
Oh God. I hate to be mother henned when I'm sick (unless it is by my mom, which is different...she's MOM and she knows how to do it right). Now that I've gotten going, I feel a little better, if tirrrrred. I'll get hot toddy supplies this afternoon or evening, along with soup, juice, and more cold medicine.

Thanks for the moral support.:yes:

KPF
Dec. 18, 2008, 11:17 AM
Try some Zicam, it's otc. I had a really bad cold a few years ago and was heading out of town on a ski trip... figured there was no way I'd feel good enough to try to ski. It seriously knocked it out quicker. I figured anything was worth a shot at that moment, but it really did help, I actually felt a lot better within a day and was out skiing. Also remember, chicken noodle soup is your friend!

Hope you feel better soon. :) And yeah, I'd be doing the bare minimum chore-wise too. The other stuff, like sweeping, etc. can wait.

patterson
Dec. 18, 2008, 11:18 AM
I never, ever get sick and I am now, or was until yesterday, so something pretty powerful is going around in D. C. Here is the magic remedy my SO ( an EMT and a very experienced horseman also, although I'm not sure it's relevant here) gave me:

1. Cold-Eze. It's in a yellow, black, and red package.
2. Robitussin CF
3. Excedrin.

All available at CVS.

This totally works, I feel about a thousand percent better today and yesterday I could barely lift my head.

Feel better!

theoldgreymare
Dec. 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
Pump yourself full of Vitmain C and zinc lozenges (they really do work!).

riverbell93
Dec. 18, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hot showers to relieve congestion, possibly zyrtek to dry up congestion, and sleep as much as possible - take one of the non-daytime cold medicine and you'll wake up in about 16 hours:lol: Caffeine and dairy make me feel worse when I have a bad cold - the caffeine gives me a headache and the dairy adds to mucus. Water and crackers and toast get me through.

My thinking goes to hell when my head's stuffed up, so I try to focus on the absolute most important few things in any situation. The horses need to eat and drink and be reasonably safe and sanitary - give yourself a break and don't even bother feeling bad that they didn't get any perks today. They'll survive. If you pamper yourself for 2 days, you'll get better 100% faster than if you kill yourself trying to do everything as if you were feeling fine.

And when you're better, wash everything you just germed up - clothes, sheets, pillowcases, scarves, etc. Everything sturdy enough to wear to the barn is sturdy enough to live through a hot wash once in a while.

SkipHiLad4me
Dec. 18, 2008, 01:05 PM
Poor hubby has to hear, "If I wanned to hear frub an ath hole I would hab farted...now go 'way!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just Wondering
Dec. 18, 2008, 01:15 PM
Hot showers to relieve congestion, possibly zyrtek to dry up congestion, and sleep as much as possible - take one of the non-daytime cold medicine and you'll wake up in about 16 hours

Also Mucinex and a saline rinse. If you do the saline rinse while in the hot shower, it is even more productive!

asterix
Dec. 18, 2008, 01:15 PM
yb, you may know this already, but if not...
the really GOOD decongestants are no longer on the shelves at the drugstore. They've been pulled behind the counter bc you can use them to make meth. :eek:
Last time I had a Serious Cold the stuff out on the shelves did NOTHING for me. You have to ask the pharmacist for the good stuff, and they'll sell it to you (they keep track so you can't go around town buying dozens of boxes for your meth lab)...

but it is MUCH better!!

EqTrainer
Dec. 18, 2008, 01:37 PM
Don't do what I always do - groom a really nasty, dirty horse when you have a head cold. So that it can promptly turn into a sinus infection.

Yup, I forget my own advice and do it at least once a year.

A few months ago I topped myself by cleaning moldy tack with a head cold.

That was the worst sinus infection ever.

Really, you'd think I'd remember these things but I won't. I hope you do.

Arcadien
Dec. 18, 2008, 01:39 PM
For a really bad cold, I finally figured out that Doctors actually ARE good for something other than supporting drug companies (JK, TIC) They have this awesome liquid cold med that I scram for when Super Cold hits me (usually once a year). I forget what it is exactly, but some kind of prescription decongestant & codeine I believe. And I do the Antibiotic thing too, as my serious colds never fail to become sinus infections otherwise (I'm good with avoiding antibiotics for everything else, so I figure it's ok)

I used to tough it out with OTC stuff, until I discovered doctors may not be able to cure the common cold, but they sure as heck can prescribe the stuff that makes it much easier to bear!

YMMV, hope you feel better soon!

Arcadien

2DogsFarm
Dec. 18, 2008, 03:12 PM
Colds suck!:dead: (feel better?)
Like all the OP have said, there's not much you can do besides dress warm, replace the liquids dripping from your nose with something hot and get as much sleep as you can.

Hot showers are wonderful for decongesting, rub Vicks on your chest before one and inhale the goodness with the steam.

I LOFF Airborne gummies for a sore throat.

And do what I did when I got food poisoning and had to drag my sorry self out to the barn twice a day (minimum) to feed:
Cry on the horses.
They are warm, furry and comforting and don't really care if their stalls aren't pristine as long as there's hay & water.

yellowbritches
Dec. 18, 2008, 04:36 PM
You all are great!

I just found out that a huge chore has been relieved...I thought I was going to have to round up hay until our next load comes, but it is coming tomorrow, which means I don't have to run all over hill and dale finding hay from obscure places to get by. Yay!!! That's a huge load off my chest.

kookicat
Dec. 18, 2008, 04:52 PM
You all are great!

I just found out that a huge chore has been relieved...I thought I was going to have to round up hay until our next load comes, but it is coming tomorrow, which means I don't have to run all over hill and dale finding hay from obscure places to get by. Yay!!! That's a huge load off my chest.

Fantastic news! I bet you feel a lot better knowing that. :)

riverbell93
Dec. 18, 2008, 04:53 PM
yb, you may know this already, but if not...
the really GOOD decongestants are no longer on the shelves at the drugstore. They've been pulled behind the counter

Oh, absolutely. You want a product which uses pseudoephedrine. The companies that make these products have new versions or formulas that subsitute phenylephrine, which is not controlled, and that's what will be available on shelves. The pseudoephedrine products must be requested from a pharmacist, and you have to sign for them. There is apparently some doubt that phenylephrine works as an oral decongestant; I personally thought it didn't do anything.

http://www.fda.gov/CDER/news/methamphetamine.htm

yellowbritches
Dec. 18, 2008, 05:29 PM
Well crap. I just bought a box of DayQuil. Apparently, I should go to the drugstore tonight.

Bluey
Dec. 18, 2008, 05:47 PM
Honestly, tank up on chicken noodle soup and drink it by the gallon.
It was long proven to be a very good decongestant and has the right kind of nutrition for people with colds.

MistyBlue
Dec. 18, 2008, 06:57 PM
YB, if you go back to the drug store ask the pharmacist for the "good stuff" behind the counter. No prescription is needed but the new stuff that's on the shelves is different and works fine for light sniffles but doesn't do bupkis for real colds.
And Bluey's right...start glugging chicken soup. Better if homemade...if you're feeling too yucky to bother making it then find a restaurant that has it on the menu and order a few bowls to go. :winkgrin: Even if I don't have a cold or stuffy nose...my homemade chicken soup gives me a runny nose.

yellowbritches
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:15 PM
...or if I don't die, I would like to.

Please, please, please reassure me that my horses will live another day if I don't give them the standard of care they are used to. My cold medicine isn't even touching it now, and I really just want to go into the tack room and curl up with the dog on the couch. They'll be ok, right?

MistyBlue
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:26 PM
They'll be fine, I promise. The stalls can be a little dirty, the aisle unswept, the wheelbarrow undumped...as long as they have hay and water they'll be happy enough.
Go toss an extra armful of hay, top off the water buckets and go curl up wuth the dog and sleep until you feel a bit better.

TBROCKS
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:28 PM
They'll be fine YB. As long as they're fed, watered and given hay, they don't give a crap (:lol:) if the stalls are clean or it they've been groomed. Take care of YOURSELF and conserve energy everywhere you can. You can catch up on things when you're feeling better.
ETA this doesn't sound like a cold, feeling sick enough to die sounds more like the flu. Please take care of yourself. The flu can turn nasty and dangerous.

riverbell93
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:30 PM
...or if I don't die, I would like to. Please, please, please reassure me that my horses will live another day if I don't give them the standard of care they are used to. My cold medicine isn't even touching it now, and I really just want to go into the tack room and curl up with the dog on the couch. They'll be ok, right?

They'll be fine. Hope you feel better soon.

yellowbritches
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:54 PM
I just emailed one of my clients to see if she'll stop by and throw and extra flake of hay and check their water on her way home. That way I won't feel like a totally horrible person. :( I'm going to leave in a few minutes and go to bed. Thanks for making me feel better, at least in my mind.

pines4equines
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:59 PM
Being sick and having to do all those chores is the worst, just do the bare minimal and rest! You can even pick up the stalls rather than a full-blown muck just to spare yourself some.

kookicat
Dec. 19, 2008, 03:00 PM
The horses will be fine so long as their tummies are full, they have water and shelter. :) They don't care if they barn isn't swept, or the stalls spotless! :)

Hope you're feeling better soon!