PDA

View Full Version : Toting Hay in the Snow!

Blue Bandit
Dec. 18, 2008, 10:17 AM
Taking hay to the pastures (12 of 'em) in the winter, while challenging, is always one of my favorite farm chores. It's a great time to observe herd dynamics...I usually manage to drag it out as long as possible...we use a four-wheeler pulling a wagon...when the snow gets deeper we add a plow on the quad. And here's how things went yesterday, December 17th on our first real snow of the season. Anyone else enjoy this part of farm life?
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ViewSlideshow.action?&collidparam=39864519108.336411512308.1229609436648

MistyBlue
Dec. 18, 2008, 10:51 AM
Such helpful horses, so willing to help lighten that load of hay while you're probably trying to drive! :winkgrin: :lol: BTW...I'm way jealous of having that much hay storage!
I don't have far to lug hay...I only have 4.5 acres and at this time only a little under 2 acres is cleared. The main paddock isn't huge (75x220) and attached to the barn so all I have to do is grab a few flakes for my two horses and walk about 40 feet and start flinging them around. Trying to avoid smacking a horse in the head with a flake.
I do use a sled with a muck bucket in it for getting from barn to manure pile or to pick the paddock clean when there's snow on the ground though...easier than a wheelbarrow. If the snow is sticking around for a while I plow a path from barn to manure pile but still use the sled to pick the paddock.

DairyQueen2049
Dec. 18, 2008, 10:52 AM
On my 2 horses to feed farm I use a childs plastic sled to move hay, grain, water - whatever.

Not as challenging as your situation - but my one human sleigh works well.

Blue Bandit
Dec. 18, 2008, 11:04 AM
yes misty, there has been many a close call with over zealous (aka "piggy") horses following the hay wagon as it makes its rounds...one good thing, ALL of the horses are totally desensitized to noisy four wheelers with rattley trailers bouncing around in back of them! When they hear a quad, they come running! The worst are the bale snatchers (Haflinger)who, while on the run, (Haflinger), can CLAMP their jaws down (Haflinger) on a mere stalk or two of hay (Haflinger) and hoist the entire bale (did I mention Haflinger?) out of that haywagon, flinging it through the air like the best Olympian disc thrower!

MistyBlue
Dec. 18, 2008, 11:33 AM
*snork* After browing through your photos I can say I'm not surprised your Haffie is a bit of a...errmm...trouble-maker? :winkgrin: I adore Haffies...but every one I've met has had a well developed sense of humor and is ruled by their stomachs. :yes: I got a big grin looking at his rolling photos...he's go such a look of bliss on his face in those. :D

DairyQueen...I use a child's plastic sled too. :yes: A blue and purple tie-dyed colored one!

amdfarm
Dec. 18, 2008, 02:37 PM
Kid's sled here, too. We're not that sophisticated. :)

250' uphill, feed, and then ride that sucker back down!! Using round bales this year, so no need for the sled, other than what it was actually intended for. I used it for water last year, too.

As for the haflinger... LOL... No wonder he flings hay so well. :winkgrin:

unbridledoaks
Dec. 18, 2008, 05:39 PM
We do the 4 wheelers and sometimes hook the pony up to those large black sleds and haul hay. It's so fun!

Blue Bandit
Dec. 18, 2008, 10:11 PM
lol, amdfarm! And Misty I must clarify that this is not our Haflinger...he is a boarder's horse. We personally are Haflinger-less at this time! :-) Master's Eddie is indeed ruled by his stomach (and his lips) and while he aggravates all of us at times, owner included, he does clean up well and is a pretty nice driving pony. His owner hopes to try a CDE with him in the future....
Eddie...looking more presentable...
http://s472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/cmfmarchwind/?action=view&current=340_P1010027.jpg
I am loving all the sled riding that goes on with hay toting and am trying to think of a way to incorporate that into our routine

Lincoln
Dec. 18, 2008, 10:22 PM
I call mine my "Kubota Gator" since it's bright Kubota orange. Single best piece of equipment around the farm all winter. Hadn't thought of the muck bucket in sled approach for paddock picking. Wicked Smaht as we say in New England!

amdfarm
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:38 AM
Forgot... we also use the sled to haul feed bags up the hill also. This is a two person job (son and I) or one strong BF job.

I'd love to have a real Kubota or something similar, but alas, my son wants one of those giant bright orange tobogans. He's like, "but mom, you could get SIX bales on it." And it'll sit loaded at the bottom of the hill, because we couldn't get it to move UP the hill. I don't know that strong BF could swing that either. Love the idea of less trips, but it's not going to happen. However, he's probably getting the thing anyway. :) I'm a sucker!! :D

My son pulled myself and the dog down the hill the other afternoon, as the snow was too light and fluffy to get any speed to keep it going. He flipped us off at the very bottom onto the sidewalk. :lol: The dog and I were not amused.

Happy haying and hopefully you can figure out how to add sledding into the mix.

LexusBoBexus
Dec. 19, 2008, 01:18 PM
For those that use kid sleds in the winter for manure, hay, and the like: try going to an outdoors type store that outfits hunters. They often sell really nice utility type sleds with 4 to 6 inch high sides.

Like so:http://www.pelicansport.com/index.php?language=en&utilitysleds=snowtrek60

I was able to get one for around 22 bucks.

county
Dec. 19, 2008, 01:30 PM
I have to tote 11 round bales today that weight 1500 each. I use a 120 HP 4 Wheel Drive tractor to tote them out to the feilds and put in the feeders. Only problem I have is sometimes the heater is turned up to high and I have to take my coat off.

Oh and sometimes my Bulldog trys to get on my lap while I'm driving.

Loves to ride
Dec. 19, 2008, 01:31 PM
LexusGoBexus,

That sled looks perfect!
Do you happen to know if a muck bucket will fit inside?

Right now, for manure picking, I put a muck bucket in a round sled which works pretty well, except in really deep fluffy snow and then I have to be v.e.r.y careful or it tips.

That Pelican sled looks like it would fit the bill if a muck bucket would fit inside.

JSwan
Dec. 19, 2008, 01:37 PM
Priceless!!

I love the ones of the horse rolling. The caption should be from Young Frankenstein, when Teri Garr is in the hay wagon and asks Gene Wilder if he'd like a roll in the hay.

"Rrroool, rrrooolll, rrrooool in zee hay...."

Your place is gorgeous. I just carry my hay out by hand or on the tractor - my biggest challenge is dodging the goats. If you can dodge a goat, you can dodge a ball!

amdfarm
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:11 PM
LexusGoBexus,

That sled looks perfect!

Right now, for manure picking, I put a muck bucket in a round sled which works pretty well, except in really deep fluffy snow and then I have to be v.e.r.y careful or it tips.

That Pelican sled looks like it would fit the bill if a muck bucket would fit inside.

That one is 2' wide so a muck bucket should fit in it just fine.

The tobogan my son wants is $35 (EEEK) and it has fairly deep sides, but isn't super wide. It's at the farm store we get feed at. I missed getting it on sale (after Thanksgiving sale deal) for $9.95 by one day!! I didn't know about it until after the fact, of course. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

Dodging goats, too funny!! :)

LexusBoBexus
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:23 AM
LexusGoBexus,

That sled looks perfect!

Saw that you live in MA: if there is a bass pro shop near you:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10202952____SearchResults

Prices start around $25, Happy pulling!

PS: I personally just put the manure directly in the sled sine that is its main purpose, but as prev. posted a muck bucket should fit fine. This is SO much better than the kiddie sleds I used to use.

Loves to ride
Dec. 20, 2008, 02:04 PM
LexusGoBexus and amdfarm,

Thanks!

I have to lift the muck bucket into my muck trailer, or drag it up the back, which is pretty steep. If the trailer wasn't too full, I could muck directly into it.

Hum, more possibilities for "poop patrol" to ponder. :D