PDA

View Full Version : Heads up, S. New Englanders! Snow on the way.

Chief2
Dec. 17, 2008, 08:59 PM
Storm due Friday.

I set the page for Hartford, CT, but the heaviest snow is due to fall south of the Mass. Turnpike, with up to a foot along the coast and heavy gusts on the Cape and Islands. Change the settings on the site for your own town or state. If the storm tracks south, we get less. If north, more.

Storm bulletin:
http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=CTZ002&warncounty=CTC003&firewxzone=CTZ002&local_place1=Hartford+CT&product1=Special+Weather+Statement

Short term forecast:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Hartford&state=CT&site=BOX&textField1=41.7657&textField2=-72.6839&e=0

SunflowerMeadowsFarm
Dec. 17, 2008, 09:43 PM
bllllaaaahhhhhh...

This is my first winter in my very own farm, 25 horses, 10 acres... and a lot of work... I couldn't get an easy winter for my first one, huh?! lol... I guess it will be a true test of my barn managing and winter horse care skills!

Little Valkyrie
Dec. 17, 2008, 10:55 PM
Yay! I'm going sledding on Saturday :lol:
But I won't be happy hauling water buckets out to the pasture :dead: Such is winter in NY/NE ... break out the bran mash

MistyBlue
Dec. 18, 2008, 06:46 AM
Trial by fire SunflowerMeadows! :D
I just checked the weather this morning with weather.com and noaa.gov. Gotta love the differences:
Weather.com says 2-4 inches expected tomorrow and then Sunday another snow storm.
Noaa.gov says 5-9 inches expected tomorrow and *maybe* a flurry or two Sunday.
Yesterday both said Friday only had a small chance of flurries.
I'm afraid to turn on the TV and check the local news...all the weatherfolks FREAK out if snow is headed our way...as if this is a surprise in CT! Dorks.

manyspots
Dec. 18, 2008, 08:36 AM
We still do not have power from the ice storm 7 DAYS ago and more snow on its way. This is the first winter my horses have been home in 9 years so I am also readjusting quickly!!! Heated water tub in the sacrafice paddock and a generator is the only way we are getting through this. My BF plows commercially so I am on my own, which is fine, until he gets home. So its just me and the snow blower and the two horses... oh and I still work full time so throw that in there!

Gotta love winter!!!!:)

yankeeclipper
Dec. 18, 2008, 09:10 AM
The heaviest hit areas are projected to be coastal mass, cape and islands. You may be ok manyspots.

Ruth0552
Dec. 18, 2008, 09:35 AM
This is very unfortunate given the number of people in Lunenburg, Townsend, Ashburnham, Ashby, Westminster, Harvard, Westford, etc., that still do not have power. I think if I was one of the horse farms in that area that still did not have power (I think by now most of the big ones have bought generators), I would cry.

Seriously, all signs point to one suck-ass winter. Setting records for snow days!!

MistyBlue
Dec. 18, 2008, 09:45 AM
I feel big time for all of you still without power! They have so much clean up to do to keep restoring power and this storm will probably set that back more time. :no:
Here's hoping y'all get your power back asap and that you are all staying warm enough.
And please..I know it always sounds like such an unnecessary expense 350 days per year but those 15 days you need a generator it really makes sense to get one and the set up done if it's at all affordable. Even if it has to be purchased in summer when loss of power isn't such a huge deal.

goodmorning
Dec. 18, 2008, 09:47 AM
SMF - I guess this will be a good test ;)

But go figure, just when I finish my finals and have time for riding again, it snows...good thing I have 4WD or it'd be a long winter hoping to go visit my horses - oh well - I'm sure they don't mind :lol:

ybiaw
Dec. 18, 2008, 11:15 AM
It's the Midwest's Christmas present to you New Englanders. Special delivery from Chicagoland, where we are expecting about a foot of snow in the next 24 hours. :mad: :lol:

Merry Christmas! Enjoy!

MistyBlue
Dec. 18, 2008, 11:24 AM
Well at least y'all could've wrapped that present ybiaw! :lol:

ivy62
Dec. 18, 2008, 07:41 PM
Okay I am in NY and this is our third assault with snow but our lastest was an ice storm that screwed everything up for days! We are expecting 12-15 inches tomorrow and more on Sunday into Monday..
From Chicago- couldn't have just sent pizza?

Chief2
Dec. 18, 2008, 09:01 PM
yeah...:(

ellemayo
Dec. 18, 2008, 09:21 PM
ugh...
My parents just got power back this morning thank goodness, but I'm sitting here in the Dulles Airport where I'll be spending the night. Now, because of the snow, I bet I'll be spending tomorrow night either here, or in Logan Airport in Boston because my family can't get to me.

WaningMoon
Dec. 19, 2008, 07:38 AM
Well since we have over a foot and a half now I am glad to hear we will only be getting 6-9 inches this time being so close to the Canadian border. Got another coming on Sunday and Wed though so I am sure we'll get our share.

manyspots
Dec. 19, 2008, 09:00 AM
Finally got power back on last night... getting ready with my snowblower for the 11" forecasted tonight!!!!!!

MistyBlue
Dec. 19, 2008, 09:15 AM
Congrats to those who got their power back. That *has* to be a relief!
Heading out soon to fill up the back-up gas and diesel containers but I don't think anything is going to start here anytime soon. From the radar it looks like NY is just starting to get snowed on now and PA too.

Sentry Chick
Dec. 19, 2008, 09:17 AM
I'm here in western NY and we are getting the yucky accumulating snow right now. Actually started at 8 am, way earlier than they told us it would. They are calling for 6-9" for the most part. 12" or more in the higher elevations. So all you east of me.......HERE IT COMES, READY OR NOT!!!!!

Kementari
Dec. 19, 2008, 09:57 AM
I've just got my fingers crossed for my Christmas travels...I leave Manchester tomorrow for Spokane - stopping in Detroit and Minneapolis on the way! :eek: If I don't hit SOME sort of nasty winter weather, it's gonna be a miracle...

Sansena
Dec. 19, 2008, 10:00 AM
9:59 Friday a.m just north of Danbury CT and nothing yet. Let's hope it stays that way for at least an hour. Iv'e got some last minute shopping & a visit to the post office to do..

Coobie
Dec. 19, 2008, 11:48 AM
Plymouth Mass area checkin' in. Nothing yet but we're ready! No generator here so all the extra water buckets in the barn are filled. Stocked up on grain/hay yesterday. Watch all this hype and preps and the storm will end up being a dud! One can hope!

Chief2
Dec. 19, 2008, 11:57 AM
11:57am, the first little flakes have just begun to fall here.

MistyBlue
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:34 PM
12;30 or so there were finally a flake or two drifting down here in Killingworth CT. by 1 pm it was coming down fast...small flakes that add up quick. It's 2:30 and I have about 2" now. Brought the horses in a little after 1 pm...snow was melting on their heads and necks and they were staring pathetically at the house. So brushed off their blankets and brought them in and picked the paddock before the piles were hidden by snow.
Just checked the outside feral cats...they're in their kitty-houses asleep and it's about 28-30 degrees so not frigid. No real wind...but if the wind picks up they're coming into the basement. One loves coming inside, the other may remove some of my body parts when I try. :eek: :lol:

Loves to ride
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:46 PM
Snowing here in Groton MA!

Horses have their blankies and large hay piles.

Looks like about 2" piled up on their backs. :D

I hope this snow covers the ice well enough that the trails are rideable again!

Little Valkyrie
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:57 PM
It's snowing pretty hard here in Albany NY, and has been since about noon. We already have about 2-3 inches with no sign of stopping. Ponies are snug in their fleece coolers in the barn noshing on their hay. Hopefully the roads don't get too bad, but the trails get a good cover so I can ride them again!

Sansena
Dec. 19, 2008, 03:10 PM
3:10 now.
Snowing sideways. Shoved about 2".
Leaving for work an hour early (a 20 minute drive, tops) due to stupid drivers in sports cars.

Kementari
Dec. 19, 2008, 05:48 PM
It's coming down HARD now...we left for the office party at 2 pm and there was nary a flake in sight; by the time we were headed home at 4 it was a mess. We nearly got taken out by an idiot in an SUV who apparently thought that because he had 4wd he could take the curve full speed ahead. :rolleyes:

If I make it to the airport in the morning, it's gonna be in camp's nice big truck. :yes: Of course, I'm going to be getting up in the wee smalls to plow myself out, first...

manyspots
Dec. 19, 2008, 06:48 PM
I keep peeking out at my boys. My appy keeps stepping out into the snow and smushing his face into it!!! :lol: This is his first winter with 24/7 turnout and the first time he has ever been out in a snow storm. He seems to be having fun! My guys can come and go as they please and he is choosing to stand in the wind every few minutes and enjoy the flakes.

I can't even do cleanup yet... blowing WAY too hard!!!!

RunningwaterWBs
Dec. 19, 2008, 07:18 PM
About 6" so far in northern Connecticut. At least I got all my chores done before the flakes started to fall. It does seem to be easing off a little now at 7:15.

MistyBlue
Dec. 19, 2008, 07:33 PM
Radar/news says it'll wind down within the hour.
However having fun with the conflicting reports for Sunday...online weather sites say expect 1-2 more inches of snow and maybe some rain...TV weather folks are gleefully reporting a foot for the same day.

I think those weatherfolks on TV need new hobbies.

Chief2
Dec. 19, 2008, 07:33 PM
Holy cow! We had thunder snow! The flash was AMAZING! Gotta love the weather guys. They wait until they get multiple reports of it, then remind people how dangerous it is to shovel or snow blow (metal snow removal tools) out in the lightning! Who would have even thought about something like that??
7:30 pm, still snowing like crazy here. The horses are tucked in tight.

MistyBlue
Dec. 19, 2008, 10:09 PM
Oh thank goodness you saw it too Chief! I swear I thought I had a ministroke, LOL! I was standing in the kitchen doing something and out of the corner of my eye my windows lit up for an instant really really bright. I spun around and stared outside, hubby walked into the kitchen and said, "What's wrong, did you see a ghost?" :lol: I figured I was seeing things or having a psychotic break. :winkgrin:

tullyleague
Dec. 19, 2008, 10:16 PM
West Brookfield, MA here. Way too much flarking snow. I need to get to the co-op tomorrow and I guarantee those roads will have been plowed once, by someone with a very old plow. Blah.

Chief2
Dec. 19, 2008, 11:38 PM
Oh thank goodness you saw it too Chief! I swear I thought I had a ministroke, LOL! I was standing in the kitchen doing something and out of the corner of my eye my windows lit up for an instant really really bright. I spun around and stared outside, hubby walked into the kitchen and said, "What's wrong, did you see a ghost?" :lol: I figured I was seeing things or having a psychotic break. :winkgrin:

LOL! Well, at least now we know what it is. Stay tuned for more 'weather' Sunday morning. Right now they are saying a 7 am start time, with 3-5 more inches, and more 'weather' due on Christmas eve. Looks like no traveling up north for Christmas eve this year.

manyspots
Dec. 20, 2008, 05:15 PM
Well now that the farm is plowed and all cleaned up, round two is en route. I think my area is forcasted for 3-6". The yard already looks like February with huge snow banks!!!!!! Oh its going to be a long winter.... :eek:

danceronice
Dec. 20, 2008, 05:33 PM
All I want at this point is to get out of here and get to Lansing safely tomorrow. I do not want to be stuck in Mass for the holidays. If I'm stuck in Lansing overnight while they clear roads, all right then. But at least I'll be 7/8ths of the way home.

CB/TB
Dec. 21, 2008, 08:26 AM
We got about 14" here in northern RI on Friday. What was supposed to be scattereed flurries yesterday gave us another 4 or so inches and today-- snow (maybe) turning to rain or a mix . Happy Winter !! I have a sneaky feeling this is going to be a yeat where we don't see the ground until March!

MistyBlue
Dec. 21, 2008, 08:31 AM
Snowing right now in CT again too. Also supposed to switch to rain as it warms up in the day...we'll see what happens. Tomorrow 27 and supposed to be windy as heck, but by Wednesday it's supposed to be 46 and rain. :no: Hope not...I'd rather have sparkly white snow on the ground for the holiday than a few inches of mud and slush.

Loves to ride
Dec. 22, 2008, 10:30 AM
Snow's over but the wind is whipping like a demon! Brr! Horses look very happy dozing in the sun. :)

However, 2'+ of snow on the ground and of course, the snow blower is dead. We don't have a tractor so shoveling. Lots of shoveling. Have I mentioned how much I despise shoveling? And I am definitely not getting any younger....

This could be a long winter... And it's only December...

It sure is pretty though! Drove around last night and with the holiday lights covered with snow, it was just breathtaking!

I'm hoping the next storm that is supposed to come on Xmas is not rain.. Nothing like ruining a good snow by icing it over with rain. :(