PDA

View Full Version : See what happened when Martha Stewart showed up at my barn!

subk
Dec. 17, 2008, 05:13 PM
What a fun new forum to share my barn story!

"Gorgeous and Green: A Martha Stewart Wedding" will premier this Saturday evening (Dec 20) on the Style Network. It's an hour long special that gives all the "inside story" to putting together the "country wedding" of Martha's assistant Liesl wedding to country music artist Kevin Haynie who plays with Josh Turner. There will also be a 10 page spread in the MS Weddings magazine that comes out in a couple weeks. The wedding and reception all took place at my farm and in my new barn!

We just finished building the barn this summer--the wedding was late Sept--and we hadn't yet moved any horses in. It was pre-poop. It didn't have any cross fencing up either. This is the same barn that so many COTH BBers have given me great advice on for the last year! They got married in the field a couple hundred yards from the barn on a nice little square of grass I cut with my mower. After the ceremony they had "cocktails on the porch," then dinner in the barn.

I learned all sorts of neat, but maybe useless things. Things like if you run a table all the way down my center aisle it will seat 64. A round table for 10 fits nicely into a 12 x 12 stall. Some dogs have rhinestone collars. Some New York film producers are very afraid of ticks, mice can be a problem too. The trash can that is in the feed room to hold grain is a great place to hide a pair $17,500 earrings on loan from Tiffnay's for a couple hours. Just because someone is an editor for Martha Stewart doesn't mean they can fold a napkin better than I can. Martha doesn't think her French bulldogs would enjoy a swim in the river, "they aren't that kind of dog"--see rhinestones above. Josh Turner looks like he's about 17 years old in real life. His dad has a great sense of humor. When I put my fencing in I needed to move it about 20 yards from where I had planned to leave a good spot for a tent. My brick floors can have quite a bit of dirt on them and still look great. It's a pain in the tush to clean the windows on my 12 foot high aisle doors. There are wedding planners who must have a quarter million dollar minimum budget before they accept a client. I can fit boxes for 45 lamp shades of various sizes in my two horse trailer if I'm very careful how I stack them. A 9 foot wide wash stall may or may not be the right size to wash a horse in but it is the perfect size to set up a wedding cake in.

For the record Martha herself could not have been more pleasant. Her various staffs were professional and fun. They did a great job of staying within my demand that they use no nails. All in all it was a good experience from my point of view. And the farm looks better on film than real life!

Here's the short preview she ran on her show, she talks how the bride and groom met then it starts about the wedding 3:00 into it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huLIZlDo_mU

And here are some photos she posted on her blog after the wedding (Updated link, She moved it to a new post):
[http://www.themarthablog.com/2008/12/liesl-and-kevin-tie-the-knot-my-exclusive-photos-of-their-wedding.html

TBKate
Dec. 17, 2008, 05:22 PM
SubK, that is too cool!! I wish I got the Style network so I could watch it. :( Having Martha Stewart break in your barn--is that kind of like having the Queen christen your ship? Did you have Martha smash a bottle of champagne on a barn door for good luck? :lol:

SarahandSam
Dec. 17, 2008, 06:08 PM
That's awesome! And what a gorgeous wedding...

Bluey
Dec. 17, 2008, 06:09 PM
That was a neat experience, I bet.

Good that you got to do that before horses went in, but in a way, would horses looking into the aisle have been a nice touch, or at least posing out in a pen, for people to admire and pet their soft noses?

Those frenchies look like really neat, well cared for dogs, rhinestones and all.:cool:

Can't wait for more pictures showing more of the barn.
Nothing beats a new barn, much less one with that story to tell already.:yes:

annikak
Dec. 17, 2008, 06:09 PM
Oh gosh, that is just amazing- loved the farm! LOVELY!

PonyPile
Dec. 17, 2008, 06:17 PM
I love Martha Stewart! That sounds like such fun :D

RunningwaterWBs
Dec. 17, 2008, 06:33 PM
WOW, what a beautiful barn!

Foxtrot's
Dec. 17, 2008, 06:43 PM
That's quite a story - now we want to know the details of how special your barn is for horses!~

Blkarab
Dec. 17, 2008, 07:35 PM
You have just a beautiful place!!!! What an honor!

EventFan
Dec. 17, 2008, 07:39 PM
Green with envy! What a cool experience for your farm and barn! Thanks for sharing the link, I looked at every picture!

MelantheLLC
Dec. 17, 2008, 08:04 PM
Some New York film producers are very afraid of ticks, mice can be a problem too. The trash can that is in the feed room to hold grain is a great place to hide a pair $17,500 earrings on loan from Tiffnay's for a couple hours.

What a great first paragraph that would make for a mystery/adventure novel. :winkgrin:

subk
Dec. 17, 2008, 08:10 PM
Did you have Martha smash a bottle of champagne on a barn door for good luck? :loll:
The doors are probably more durable than mr. subk's heart in that instance--so no champagne bottle smashing. However, I'm pretty sure some was spilled on the aisle floor and in the field around the barn. Although it's more likely it was beer. The bride and groom both come from down to earth families--very nice people. The NYC people were different, but fun and nice too. (The "real" christening was in June before it was totally finished with crawfish, beer, my friends, neighbors and the barn builders family and friends!)

That's quite a story - now we want to know the details of how special your barn is for horses!~
That's the coolest part! I designed every square foot with much consideration and angst for maximum functionality as a private training facility. Everything from drainage and ventilation to how big the wash stall is and where the electric plugs are were carefully considered. When I got anxious or unsure I'd come here to talk it out and get great answers to my questions. I've been in hundreds of barns in the last 40 years, but it is amazingly hard to remember the specifics enough when you're actually designing one yourself. Nobody should underestimate how much this COTH bb had a part in building this barn!

What an honor!
I don't think of it quite as an honor as much as a beneficial, fun and memorable event for all the parties involved! Plus, I got some great pictures out of it for the barn's bathroom. http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Chief2
Dec. 17, 2008, 09:23 PM
What a great honor! Congratulations!

eyesontheground
Dec. 17, 2008, 10:54 PM
OMG! I saw the episode when she talked about that!! In fact I came here and talked about how jealous I was to have a barn like that but it was buried in some random thread about something else. Congrats!!! I love your barn subk!! I will have to watch for it on Style now!

CookiePony
Dec. 18, 2008, 12:09 AM
Oh my! I didn't believe you when you told me this but now there is photo documentation!! ;)

I am truly sorry I missed the party but I hope I will have the chance to see the place in person sometime in the near future. :cool:

Coreene
Dec. 18, 2008, 01:41 AM
Hope they paid you loadsa $$$ too!

Melissa.Van Doren
Dec. 18, 2008, 10:27 AM
How fun!

We're actually contemplating a move to the Nashville area (Franklin, specifically), and I'd also be looking to buy a property where I can build a private training facility... can I pick your brain for builders, etc., when it gets past the "maybe" stage?

theoldgreymare
Dec. 18, 2008, 10:47 AM
What a gorgeous farm you have! It looks like a really neat idea for a wedding....lots of fun. I'm glad you had a positive experience with Martha. Having been a former East Hampton, NY resident (where Martha also has a home), I can tell you she is not the most pleasant person at times (will spare you stories).

My daughter has always said she wants to get married on our farm. I will be sure to watch the full segment for ideas. It looked lovely from the short clip!

Green Acres
Dec. 18, 2008, 08:12 PM
I can't see the photos on the link, it says the something about the pictures possibly being moved. :( Would love to see the pictures, etc. Sounds like you have a beautiful barn!!!!

I have to admit I'm jealous that you got to see/meet Josh Turner!!!! He's so good looking and I love his music!!!

Guin
Dec. 18, 2008, 08:57 PM
Oh my goodness, I LOOOOOOOVE Josh Turner! I am green with envy. :winkgrin:

Susan P
Dec. 18, 2008, 10:02 PM
WOW! I loved when she had Susan Wagner from Equine Advocates on her show.

strawberry roan
Dec. 18, 2008, 10:06 PM
What a great story! :) I love your barn doors! :):)

LSM1212
Dec. 19, 2008, 12:12 PM
Very cool.... what was the "rain" plan???

EventFan
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:02 AM
just showed clips from the wedding at your barn! I felt as if I was in the "know" when I pointed it out to my daughter lol! Your barn is famous! :D

Foxtrot's
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:15 AM
They just showed clips on our tv too - I was so busy looking at the barn/fields I didn't notice anything or anybody else. Is there something wrong with me???

Amwrider
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:31 AM
Martha Stewart? Martha Stewart? Forget her, tell us more about Josh Turner (drool icon needed). That is the sexiest voice in Country music...well, Josh and Dierks Bentley.

Seriously though, lovely, lovely barn. You done good :yes:

Green Acres
Dec. 20, 2008, 09:43 AM
Martha Stewart? Martha Stewart? Forget her, tell us more about Josh Turner (drool icon needed). That is the sexiest voice in Country music...well, Josh and Dierks Bentley.

My thought exactly!!!! And any pictures of Josh Turner??? :lol:

subk
Dec. 20, 2008, 12:36 PM
They just showed clips on our tv too - I was so busy looking at the barn/fields I didn't notice anything or anybody else. Is there something wrong with me???
Nope nothing wrong with you! They probably played a similar clip as the one they showed yesterday on Martha's show, and all I could see was the barn. When the bride was thanking Martha in the aisle I was looking at the stall grills over her shoulder and trying to see if the shot showed my stall doors. (That Lucas Equine made post haste so they'd be in by the wedding! (:wink) )

Josh Turner. The event had been going on for a couple hours before I figured out who he was and that I'd been looking at him the whole time. I've seen all the videos and jumped on his fan wagon with his first hit Long Black Train but I did not recognize him at first. It was the weirdest moment when I realized that was him, honestly he looked like a nice boy from my daughters high school dressed up in his Sunday clothes. I don't think I've ever felt so old or such a fuddy duddy. I will say this, he is very, very cute--not the drooly hunk I'd expected from his videos but extremely cute. Put a little wear and tear on him and he certainly will be a hunk when he grows up. sigh. You also know life has smacked you in the face when you realize while chatting with his parents that they are much closer to being you're contemporaries.

Josh didn't sing, but Billy Dean did and he is more my flavor. Of course, his drop dead gorgeous wife was with him. Martha was gorgeous too, really gorgeous. I had been warned that sometimes she can be...difficult. But honestly she was nothing but pleasant. Mr. subk talked with her a long time--he can't remember what they talked about except it started out about taking the dogs down to the river for a swim--"no thank you." (When one dog and one husband both disappeared at the same time I did get a little panicky, but they were independent events with the dog checking out the neighbors garden.) It was funny watching the tension of her staff start spiraling up before she came when someone announced, "Martha has left the hotel, ten minutes people!"

But seriously the wedding wasn't the big glitzy affair I was originally expecting. Yeah there were some notables wondering around but the crowd was really just two pretty normal people and their very nice, but normal families and friends with some really amazing music being played. For me the best part was the preparation that started four days out. With my own education and background in design, art direction and photography watching this crack team of creative people up close and personal was great fun.

Ishi
Dec. 20, 2008, 01:03 PM
What great timing! I am getting married on May 9th and we are doing it here, in Upperville at our farm. I have 101 ideas and then no ideas all at the same time! I do have a dress and a bartender (LOL and one hell of a fiance!) so I figure the details will work themselves out later. This is awesome, I'm going to watch, I can't wait to see how it was done.

LearnToFly
Dec. 20, 2008, 01:10 PM
I call dibs on SUBK's barn for my wedding!! ('Cept in my defense, I called it WAY before Martha did!) :lol::lol::lol:

SUBK- here are some of the pics I took yesterday (they're darker on the computer than they were on my phone...)
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1832/221/0/9422221/n9422221_39433044_5504.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1832/221/0/9422221/n9422221_39432976_3310.jpg

wishnwell
Dec. 20, 2008, 01:13 PM

Oh yeah! Love the barn, yadda yadda, but Josh Turner, that's what I was hoping someone esle would ask about. I don't go nuts over many people but he's so good looking, and that voice!! Wow....mmmm

I'm EBO
Dec. 20, 2008, 07:28 PM
I'm so glad I read this great post! Beautiful barn, beautiful back story, and since I don't know anything about Josh Turner, I'll put on my Mrs. Robinson specs and enjoy the treat.

Ishi--you and I share the same Alma Mater, although I was there probably before you were born.

katarine
Dec. 20, 2008, 11:45 PM
saw the show, it was a beautiful wedding, gorgeous property, and it cracked me up to know those earrings were stashed in your feed can :)

Subk I have serious, dangerous, drooling levels of barn envy. Your place is, and will be, spectacular! When do the horses get to check out their new digs, or are they home now? It's a lovely place, truly. But you knew that :)

danceronice
Dec. 20, 2008, 11:49 PM
That's a great barn! (Also I liked the bouquet Martha did.) When does the fencing go up? Will there be a ring/arena?

Amwrider
Dec. 20, 2008, 11:56 PM
I'm so glad I read this great post! Beautiful barn, beautiful back story, and since I don't know anything about Josh Turner, I'll put on my Mrs. Robinson specs and enjoy the treat.

Here you go:

Would You Go With Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AST8fosZHQ

Firecracker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPPXHiaiKqs

Billy Dean ain't to shaby either, but I haven't heard anything from him in a long time.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack, but that voice just makes me melt.

erinwillow
Dec. 21, 2008, 10:33 AM
OMG! How absolutely lovely! Gosh, what a special and unique barn you have -- you will always have this great story that goes along with it as well. Maybe you should even put up a small plaque on the barn wall that commemorates the event. That would be neat. Congratulations, *coolest* story! :D

wildREDhorse
Dec. 21, 2008, 11:42 AM
How much fun!! Sounds like a really cool experience! Your barn is lovely! We need a link to your photo gallery to see what it looks like with horses in it! :D

tbgurl
Dec. 23, 2008, 02:50 PM
subk--I saw the wedding and it was beautiful! I LOOOOOOVE your barn! I bragged to DH "I know the person whose barn that is!" Then I had to explain, "Okay I don't really KNOW her...she posts on COTH!" :D

Watermark Farm
Dec. 23, 2008, 02:56 PM
I loved reading your story! Thank you for sharing. I love Martha Stewart, even if her bulldogs aren't into swimming in common old rivers! Love the story about the expensive earrings --- that's exactly where I hide my valuable jewels while I am feeding.

Foxtrot's
Dec. 23, 2008, 03:28 PM
...Hmmmm.. so now the world knows where to go looking for jewels.....:D

silver2
Dec. 24, 2008, 05:20 AM
How fun and I'd love to meet Martha Stewart. I also love that picture of the bride sitting on the tractor, wearing her new husbands cowboy hat while she leans over to kiss him. How bad of a horseperson are you when you see that and think "aww, how romantic, their first tractor!"

susanne
Dec. 24, 2008, 05:28 PM
In Martha's defense, can you imagine having to deal with two wet bulldogs (wet with river water, no less) at a wedding. I guarantee even Martha Stewart's dogs would immediately run up to the bride and jump on her!

This is the sort of thing I would think of, AFTER it was too late!

Coreene
Dec. 25, 2008, 11:41 PM
OMGiH I saw it today, what a beautiful barn and lovely place you have! I am so glad I got to see it.

allpurpose
Dec. 25, 2008, 11:56 PM
TIVOed the episode last weekend and just sat down to watch it after a particularly stressful family Christmas dinner!

What a neat thing to have happen at your beautiful barn! It was a delightful episode and your barn is a dream.

Question: how did they find it? Do you know one of them? They made it sound like they were just driving by and picked your barn out of the field (so to speak)!

subk
Dec. 26, 2008, 07:47 PM
Thank you for all the kind words! I must say it was pretty fun to watch. You can catch a brief glimpse of your truly washing the barn door windows and again mowing the grass where the ceremony takes place. Mr. subk hasn't stopped laughing about me being the help. Of course, a few weeks before the wedding I was weed eating along the road when someone we had hired to do some test digging for the home site drove by then stopped and backed up. He said he hadn't realized it was me as he assumed "my people" did the weed eating. People? I have people? I am my people thank you very much!

Anyway, to answer a few questions. The fencing went in a week after the wedding. The barn was built while I've been between horses. I'm looking to buy a young horse, and think I've found one but it won't be available until January. So hopefully I'll have a new horse and I'll bring my retired guy out there in January. Short of stall mats and water troughs we're ready to go.

Question: how did they find it? Do you know one of them? They made it sound like they were just driving by and picked your barn out of the field (so to speak)!
Matha has an old friend from high school that lives in Franklin, TN who has found sites for events in the magazine in the past . When Martha's assistant wanted to get married in Nashville, she sent her friend on a site search. The deal was that the bride had a very limited budget so they we're trying to get everything donated and didn't want to spend much money on a site. They got turned down by the Land Trust of TN who sent them to my neighbor, and he sent them to us. We waived a site fee for a donation for the Land Trust who has a parcel across my street which it the view you see out my barn doors.

We got a good deal from my barn builder because we were going to do some things he wants future clients to do--timber framing, stone foundations, brick floor yada, yada. The timber came from a local mill who has lost its furniture business overseas. We were their first client for the timber and got a great deal because of it. I really want both those guys to get some PR and could it get much better? Martha Stewart's wedding mag comes out Monday with ten pages about the wedding, so both of them will get tear sheets from a national publication!

We didn't make anything from the event but, the next wedding we host will cost someone a bundle! Unless it's Learn to Fly who is my niece and asked to get married in it last spring before it was even finished--but she has to find a groom and talk her mom into a barn wedding first...

Here is the local photographer who was the "wedding photographer." With all the cameras around the place that day he told me he was the least important photographer there, but he has some fabulous photos. The last one in the group is the barn at its best. There are also a couple good ones of Josh and Martha.
http://joshreeder.com/2008/11/haynie-wedding/

Jaegermonster
Dec. 30, 2008, 10:06 PM
It's on now! I'm watching it and your farm is gorgeous!!!!

eponacowgirl
Dec. 30, 2008, 10:08 PM
Not fair! I was going to bump this and you beat me to it!

Jaegermonster
Dec. 30, 2008, 10:11 PM
Haha! I kept missing it every time since i first saw this post, and i just had to coldcock dh ( no not really but I did have to shanghai the remote) so we wouldn't have to watch "Men of Honor" again (great movie though it is, twice is enough).

msrobin
Dec. 31, 2008, 02:06 PM
That is so cool I bet you were so excited!!!
Glad to hear that Martha was so nice. I have heard so many things good and bad about her. She seems cool to me.
Josh Turner and Billy Dean well how can you not like them They are great musicians.
Lucky you ,, just next time charge them something!! HAHAHAH

I don't have the Style channel wonder if it is going to be on the internet somewhere??

JanM
Dec. 31, 2008, 04:04 PM
I believe someone said that Martha's dogs are French Bulldogs-if so I understand that because of the way they are built that some of them don't float, they sink and drown so swimming might have been a really bad idea for the little guys.

I just bought the Wedding magazine-it looks beautiful. I hope the horses appreciate how famous their home is.

Rubyfree
May. 4, 2009, 11:06 AM
It's on again NOW on the style channel, guys!

Candle
May. 4, 2009, 03:36 PM
I flipped through the pictures, and all of the sudden found myself totally ignoring the ones that didn't have the barn in them, and looking past the people to see the barn :D It's GORGEOUS!!! Wow!!