PDA

View Full Version : help! moles

maxxtrot
Dec. 17, 2008, 03:38 PM
hi, i seem to have a mole or two that have decided that tearing up in front of the barn on both sides is fun. how do i kill them?

Tiki
Dec. 17, 2008, 03:41 PM
Borrow a Jack Russell.

SkipHiLad4me
Dec. 17, 2008, 03:56 PM
The "mole guillotines" work quite well. :) They're mostly feeding on insects like earthworms that are in your soil so it can be kinda tough to get rid of them.

Here's some more info on them:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/w-fact/0011.html

GallopHer
Dec. 17, 2008, 04:01 PM
We seem to be having an EXPLOSION of mole activity this fall/winter. There are tunnels all over my yard and pasture. Other than making the ground uneven, do the moles cause actual harm? In other words, should I try to get rid of them, or thank them for aerating the ground?

sfstable
Dec. 17, 2008, 04:04 PM
We seem to be having an EXPLOSION of mole activity this fall/winter.

I was just saying this to my daughter the other day. :yes: Seems to be much more activity this year.

TBKate
Dec. 17, 2008, 04:24 PM
Borrow a Jack Russell.

A pack of mutts works too...the 6 barn dogs where I board having been bringing them to us with great gusto.

Lilykoi
Dec. 17, 2008, 04:32 PM
My Rat Terrier is always at the ready!

2DogsFarm
Dec. 17, 2008, 05:37 PM
HATE Moles!!!!!
The mole guillotine is a great idea - leaving a victim in the tunnel seems to discourage further digging.

I'd worry if they got into my pasture as the tunnels in my lawn hardly support my weight, so I'd be afraid of a horse stepping into one and punching all the way through.

TSC sells a poison bait that looks like a worm - you just push it into the tunnel and let the little %$*s poison themselves.

yellowbritches
Dec. 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
I'll bring Stella the dog down. Her specialty is groundhogs, but I'm sure she'd adapt well to moles.

Bluey
Dec. 17, 2008, 06:14 PM
We used to look for the entrance in the mounds, pour a little castor oil and cover and they didn't come back there for a while.
Tiresome, because they would go somewhere else out in the pastures and eventually try to get in the yard and pens again.

Our cats would sit by a hole and get the moles when they came up thru there.

JSwan
Dec. 17, 2008, 07:55 PM
We seem to be having an EXPLOSION of mole activity this fall/winter. There are tunnels all over my yard and pasture. Other than making the ground uneven, do the moles cause actual harm? In other words, should I try to get rid of them, or thank them for aerating the ground?

Thank them for aerating your soil.

If they get really bad, you can borrow Peanut. But she has to be home by 6 because that's when the neighbors put steaks on their grill and they always save one for her.

Silly beagle.

If you want to discourage them from your lawn and garden, plant Squill. Bluey's castor oil is a good (but poisonous to other animals so be careful) solution.

You can also stuff peppers down the runs. Hot peppers or sprinkle cayenne pepper.

One solution I've heard of but have not tried is elderberry. You can place the leave and berries or little branches in the runs.

What some people don't realize is that having a lot of moles doesn't mean you have a mole problem. It means you have an insect problem, and that is what is attracting so many moles. Moles dig very shallow runs - just under the sod. They aren't the danger to livestock that groundhogs are.

Anyway - you can do what you want, but while you're exploring options check out where the moles are - maybe lift a piece of sod up and see what they're eating. They may actually be eating very destructive insects. Kill the mole, and you destroy free bug control and free soil aeration.

Or you can just borrow Peanut. That beagle ain't right in the head.

Catmando
Dec. 18, 2008, 08:00 AM
Moles rarely use the same tunnel twice. If you remove the food source, they will go away. When I see them in my lawn, that is usually a clue that I have a healthy crop of grubs. As for a horses "sinking", the tunnels are very close to the surface. Also, when you see all those tunnels, they are most likely created by only one or two moles over an acre or more.

Bluey
Dec. 18, 2008, 08:19 AM
Moles rarely use the same tunnel twice. If you remove the food source, they will go away. When I see them in my lawn, that is usually a clue that I have a healthy crop of grubs. As for a horses "sinking", the tunnels are very close to the surface. Also, when you see all those tunnels, they are most likely created by only one or two moles over an acre or more.

I disagree that they only use one tunnel once. I have seen them come and go thru several tunnels and mounds for several days, I would guess until the grub supply there is gone.

Ask our cat, that would stalk one mound for a few days and eventually come up with it's resident, when it got careless that once.:eek:

Susan P
Dec. 18, 2008, 08:56 PM
http://www.themoleman.com/two.jpg

My cats have enjoyed delicious moles that look like this. I had no idea these little creatures can do so much damage. My cats think they are very tasty. I don't particularly care for them bringing them into the house, especially live ones. No thanks. But they've caught tons of these moles....yuck.

strawberry roan
Dec. 18, 2008, 09:11 PM
I have a dog that looks like a stuffed sausage from eating so many moles!:D There do seem to be overly many this year. She is having the time of her life digging up my yard and feasting. Yuck! :)