PDA

View Full Version : New forum!! Welcome to "Around the Farm"

Moderator 1
Dec. 17, 2008, 01:09 PM
Rule #2 on the COTH forums is that topics have to be horse-related. That definition is about to be stretched...

As horse people ourselves, we know that along with horses comes a lifestyle, with inherent differences from the world at large. ;) We still buy big trucks and haul things with them and need to find carseats that will fit in them. We can have "unique" relationships with our neighbors. We keep special animals called "barn dogs" and "barn cats." We have farms to maintain and fields to rotate. We find mysterious spiders in the hay loft.

Here's the place to talk about it!

Some of the threads that will eventually find their homes here may have previously lived in Off Course or Horse Care (property maintenence, farmette questions, etc.), and other topics may have not been allowed under the stricter interpretation of "horse-relatedness."

We'll keep an eye on things here and may need to refine or clarify what we allow, depending upon how things go, or if Armageddon strikes, we may take it down while we rethink the approach. But basically, we wanted to provide a place for those not reeeeally directly horse-related topics that really kinda are.

As part of that, as indicated above, talk about your other barn critters is OK too. Again, we'll see how it goes, but we're opening things up to the rest of the farm family. Food recommendations, dog coats, pics from the farm, funny experiences at the barn, health questions, training concerns as they relate to being around the barn/horses...those are just a few things that come to mind. This isn't iwuvkittiesnpuppies.com though, so let's keep things a little reined in. Save "My cockatiel won't eat!" for the next Off Topic Day. ;)

Some of the general farm/property maintenence questions have been addressed in Horse Care previously, but we're going to start highlighting "Around the Farm" as a resource for those as well. Hopefully, this forum can develop into a great resource for new and seasoned landowners to share information.

If a thread here gets out of hand for whatever reason, we may be a bit more prone to closing it vs. editing, posting reminders, etc., so we ask for your understanding in that regard in advance. We still want to devote the majority of our resources to horses.

If you have an input on how things are going in here, or suggestions for refining the posting guidelines, please feel free to send me a PM or email.

Merry Christmas/happy holidays from the Chronicle!

Enjoy!
Mod 1

pintopiaffe
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:05 PM
:D :D :D

THANK YOU!!!!

ChocoMare
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:08 PM
:sadsmile: Ach, I so loff COTH. Thank you all! :yes:

ybiaw
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:10 PM
I was just thinking earlier today how it would be nice to have a forum like this!

Thank you! :D

joiedevie99
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:13 PM
Very cool - Thanks :)

Daydream Believer
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks!

Equine Obsession
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks! What a wonderful addition to the board!

appychik
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:19 PM
Thank You! :)

amdfarm
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:28 PM
Thank You Very Much!! :D

Rienzi
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:29 PM
There's an animal living in my horse stall...besides the horse I mean. There's a big hole under the far corner of the stall. From the size of the hole, if it's a rat, it's got to be one h3ll of a big rat! I wonder if i'll run into it on one of these dark nights...

Auventera Two
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:29 PM
How neat! Thank you!! :D

vxf111
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:30 PM
Great idea

JB
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:34 PM
Excellent idea, thank you!

Now we have a place to post pictures of non-horse-critter-poop to see who knows what creatures are lurking :eek:

marta
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:37 PM
thanks coth!

Bluey
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:42 PM
A-w-e-s-o-m-e.:cool:

Thank you.:)

LaurieB
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:53 PM
Great idea! Thank you. :)

Tiempo
Dec. 17, 2008, 02:59 PM
[B]

This isn't iwuvkittiesnpuppies.com though, so let's keep things a little reined in. Save "My cockatiel won't eat!" for the next Off Topic Day. ;)

Mod 1

Cockatiel would be pretty skinny by then ;):D

Seriously though..Thanks for this, what a good idea!!

Foxtrot's
Dec. 17, 2008, 03:01 PM
Now that is a neat idea. Thanks, Mods. You are already the most lenient Mods, and the most diplomatic.

Moderator 1
Dec. 17, 2008, 03:03 PM
Cockatiel would be pretty skinny by then ;):D

Seriously though..Thanks for this, what a good idea!!

:lol: Excellent point. Perhaps www.cockatiel.com would be a wiser strategy...

AngelainTexas
Dec. 17, 2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks!:D

bludejavu
Dec. 17, 2008, 03:19 PM
One more THANKS to add to the bunch!!!:yes:

talkofthetown
Dec. 17, 2008, 03:47 PM
Mods.......You rock:D

didgery
Dec. 17, 2008, 03:51 PM
Hooray! Thanks, COTH!

CrzyCorgi
Dec. 17, 2008, 03:59 PM
GREAT new forum! Thanks COTH!

:winkgrin::D:winkgrin::D

Jealoushe
Dec. 17, 2008, 04:01 PM
looking forward to learning some things!

Nipntuck
Dec. 17, 2008, 04:02 PM
Thank You!

tazz001
Dec. 17, 2008, 04:12 PM
I soooo love COTH...spent many hours lurking here...filling in my time due to current lack of employment...I am sooo happy to have another forum to lurk at.

Thanks again

Holly Jeanne
Dec. 17, 2008, 04:27 PM
Cool! Thanks!

2DogsFarm
Dec. 17, 2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks, Mods!

This s/b helpful when I'm trying to decide if my post is more Off Course or Horse Care when it's really neither :D

Rienzi: sounds like mole - they make a pretty good-sized tunnel for such little critters.

JB: TMI!!!!!!!!

msj
Dec. 17, 2008, 05:20 PM
Wow, I go out to the barn to do chores and some other stuff and I come back in and there's a whole new Forum!!!!:D:D :D:D A really great idea!!!

Moderator's 1 and 2, you are the greatest thing since sliced bread!!! :D:D :D :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :) :) :) :)

kookicat
Dec. 17, 2008, 05:40 PM
Whoo!! Fantastic, thank you!!! :D

DLee
Dec. 17, 2008, 06:20 PM
Wow, neato! :yes:

pines4equines
Dec. 17, 2008, 06:59 PM
Thank you COTH! We love you! I placed an ad as a thank you and am poking around at becoming a premium member. Again, thank you so much for lots of entertainment!

Ted the Peep 'Ho
Dec. 17, 2008, 08:58 PM
Premium member is a good thing! My mom did it so we can post pics for the rescues, mostly, but also because we wanted to support COTH, as a great big thank you for this wonderful forum.

Mary in Area 1
Dec. 17, 2008, 11:58 PM
Ah! My first Christmas present! Thank you.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Dec. 18, 2008, 03:00 AM
Pretty cool. Thanks! :)

LMH
Dec. 18, 2008, 07:04 AM
This is fantastic!

Chief2
Dec. 18, 2008, 09:29 AM
This is great! Thank you! :D

Moderator 1
Dec. 18, 2008, 05:17 PM
You're all welcome and we hope it develops into a useful resource! We've been moving some threads over from Off Course and Horse Care when we come across them to give the forum a start and give people an idea of the types of topics that might be good here.

We're thinking Horse Care may become more strictly health, feeding, etc. and Around the Farm could be for all the stuff that happens outside the barn door--pastures, fencing, trucks, trailers and other machinery, farm critters...

What do you think? We welcome the input--we want it to serve your needs! Within reason... ;)

kookicat
Dec. 18, 2008, 06:07 PM
We're thinking Horse Care may become more strictly health, feeding, etc. and Around the Farm could be for all the stuff that happens outside the barn door--pastures, fencing, trucks, trailers and other machinery, farm critters...

What do you think? We welcome the input--we want it to serve your needs! Within reason... ;)

Sounds good to me. :)

suz
Dec. 18, 2008, 07:16 PM
YAY!!!
i love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ljc
Dec. 20, 2008, 01:29 AM
Oh, Lord. Another forum I have to read every day. But thank you!!!!

IFG
Dec. 20, 2008, 03:11 PM
Great idea! Thanks so much!

DancingQueen
Jan. 26, 2009, 11:48 PM
Loves it!

Going way deep here but this guy said something to me that hit home.

In highschool I once attended a lecture from a former alcoholic. He said "Between us alcoholics there's no class differentiation. We are garbage collectors, realestate moguls, doctors, nurses, librarians and bankers but in the end of the day, amongst us there's only two kind of people, those with and those who are looking to get some. We are all members of the same secret society and we, although poorly, do look out for each other in a strange way".

Horses are a different kind of (and way healthier) addiction but the essence is the same. In the barn (at least ours and that's soo nice) there's no class system, there are only people with horses and people trying to get some. Lol!

Barns may not be completely unique but are still pretty special in how horses introduce the great equalizer and in the way they include and connect so many people from different backgrounds.

When I run into troubble or simply get confused in mundane matters I take it to the barn. I feel that on some level everybody there is on my side just for the fact that we share the same addiction (crack may be cheaper y'all. Lol).

The chronicle forum is for me an extenion of the barn. I may not always agree with everything somebody said. Discussions can get pretty heated! Although I have not met but a small number on this forum I still feel like part of a community.
I am very excited to have the opportunity to extend the horse only talks toother important life matters such as where you get the best manicure near the horse park in Kentucky or cheapest transmission job in Lake Placid!