PDA

View Full Version : Dirty, Stained Teeth-The Horse, not Mine

nuts4cowboybutts
Dec. 12, 2008, 04:28 PM
Lst summer we got a horse and we soon found out he was a manure eater. We pick up quickly when we see it, but he is often on the prowl for it.

I'd been told that Free Choice Minerals might help. What are the brands or names of that for us to look for???

Also, his teeth are stained badly. Sure don't appreciate a horse kiss from him!

Can his teeth be scaled like you can scale a dog's teeth? Would that help or
WHAT CAN HELP THAT NASTY STAIN?

You'd think he chewed tobacco or smoked a whole lot. He doesn't have a pretty smile...

gabz
Dec. 12, 2008, 04:33 PM
I use Purina 12:12 minerals.
Your horse may also need probiotics - that is more typically why a horse will eat manure.

If you feed a sweet feed, with a great deal of molasses in it, that will stain the teeth.
Ask your Equine Vet or Equine dentist about how to clean them.

The "old timers" way is to give the horse dried corn on the cob. HOWEVER, some horses will choke if they don't chew properly.

deltawave
Dec. 12, 2008, 05:10 PM
Why are you worried about the color of his teeth? :confused: I think they're SUPPOSED to be greenish/yellow and sort of nasty, when viewed to a human standard. It's not necessarily abnormal for a horse that eats nothing but green vegetable matter to have green teeth. :)

sid
Dec. 12, 2008, 05:18 PM
Agree with Deltawave. Try not to compare the color of a horse's teeth to teeth of predators (humans, cats, dogs). Not the same.

As far as manure eating...how much hay/forage is this horse getting and how often during a 24 hr. period?

The reason I ask is that typically adult horses will seek out manure for "something to eat" that contains fiber when nothing else is available.

OTOH, foals seek out manure to seek getting the flora (bacteria) in the gut balanced.

Love your screenname btw. Wish I was young enough to have one like that!!

nuts4cowboybutts
Dec. 12, 2008, 05:59 PM
Deltawave and Sid, his teeth are not green or yellowish green. Most of our horses have stained teeth, but not BLACK!

His teeth are either very dark brown, like manure, or almost black. He's seen an equine dentist who floated his teeth and checked them, but I wasn't there at the barn when he came, so I was unable to ask about the nasty color.

Sid, glad you like my name. I'm an OLD cowgirl, married to an old cowboy, but I ain't dead yet! I still appreciate those cowboy butts. My old cowboy thinks it is hilarious that I can still see 'em. Glaucoma and cataracts bother me. I'd like to see those butts using Braille!

Ever watch the PBR on TV? WOW!

sid
Dec. 12, 2008, 06:49 PM
Again, black teeth don't matter.

More important is to find out why your horse is eating manure. The black teeth have nothing to do with that. And even if it did, it's more important to figure out why your horse is "seeking" manure.

Best,

Susan

nuts4cowboybutts
Dec. 13, 2008, 12:14 PM
I'll get some probiotics for him and some free choice minerals and see if that helps.

He is with a trainer right now, so I don't get a chance to see him but once a week as it is nearly a 3 hr. drive from here.

He is a top ten show horse and judges look at his teeth each time he is shown. That is one reason I'm concerned about his teeth. He won't be shown again until Feb.

Highflyer
Dec. 13, 2008, 02:45 PM
Do they judge him by the color of his teeth? Or are they just looking for a defect like parrot mouth? I've never seen that before. We had a client's horse here a couple of years ago with teeth that were pretty much orange. I asked the dentist, just out of curiosity, and he said it was probably caused by the water, that sometimes they just do that, basically. I don't know what you could do about it anyway--as far as I know there are no horse dentist approved tooth whiteners!

Mersy
Dec. 13, 2008, 03:05 PM
Most horses have yucky colored teeth. That said I have noticed horses that have been malnurished have cruddy looking teeth beyond the norm.

I don't believe manure eating would cause discolored teeth. Probably just cause bad breath.

nuts4cowboybutts
Dec. 13, 2008, 09:19 PM
Highflyer, in halter competition the teeth are checked. His "bite" is correct, but his teeth are so nasty looking.

We bought him because he is a top show horse.

We wouldn't show a palomino with a dirty, stained tail, or a dirty horse to a judge, so we want him to look his best. That's why the concern to see why his teeth are black-looking. We were told by a trainer that manure eating horses often have these ugly black teeth.

We are trying to stop the manure eating and trying to brighten his smile.

Too bad they don't make Crest white strips for horses!;)

deltawave
Dec. 13, 2008, 09:34 PM
I assume he got to be a "top show horse" with the same teeth? :)

nuts4cowboybutts
Dec. 14, 2008, 09:51 AM
Deltawave "I assume he got to be a "top show horse" with the same teeth? "

Now see, that is what I don't know...

Suppose they covered it up somehow???? I just can't imagine him winning all he did with that dirty mouth, but he did!.

I know trainers have all sorts of tricks. They color up horses, use fake tails and do a lot of "fools your eye" stuff.

The people who owned him don't know, and the trainer who showed him ain't telling.

rcloisonne
Dec. 14, 2008, 10:24 AM
I've never seen a judge look at a horse's teeth at a show. Bits sometimes (especially at dressage shows) but teeth? Nope.

On the other hand, one has to wonder why nobody cleans horses' teeth? They don't need it? Really? Or is it the equipment to do it is not widely available? Horses build up plaque and tartar just like any other warmblooded animal which can lead to gum disease and loose teeth. I have an article somewhere I'll post if I can find it.

BeastieSlave
Dec. 14, 2008, 10:35 AM
I had the dentist out last week to take care of the new guy. We talk a lot while she works and she mentioned that a (one and only time) client had asked her about bleaching her horse's teeth. My dentist was aghasted! She too said that beasties' teeth were supposed to develop a brownish color.

I don't know about the brownish/black the OP is describing - perhaps a call to the dentist who worked on the horse would be a good place to start. Then I think I'd look at the rules and see exactly what the judges are looking for when they look in the beasties' mouths at shows. I've never heard of them judging the color of a horse's teeth. Perhaps a call to someone who judges would also be in order, just to put the matter to rest.

eqrider1234
Dec. 14, 2008, 11:03 AM
can you just brush his teeth with whitening tooth paste??

katarine
Dec. 14, 2008, 11:05 AM
LOL my vet can tell you what part of AL a horse was raised in/spent most of his life in...based on their teeth-staining :) The fall line that runs across the state roughly separates two very different types of soils. And the horse's teeth show it plainly.

I wouldn't be worried about getting his smile to brighten up ;)