PDA

View Full Version : How do you do the rear leg straps of your horse's blankets?

SpringOakFarm
Nov. 30, 2008, 12:51 AM
Do you wrap around the inside of each leg?

Or...

Do you criss-cross the rear leg straps?

Or...

Do you wrap around the inside of one leg, and then loop the other leg through it?

I was noticing today at the barn where my daughter trains, that people do it differently - all three of these methods were used.

MHM
Nov. 30, 2008, 12:54 AM
I do the third method, since I think it's the most comfortable for the horse.

myrna
Nov. 30, 2008, 01:04 AM
i do the 3rd method,but clicked on the 1st one by mistake.There is no rubbing on the legs when you loop the leg straps thru each other.

tangledweb
Nov. 30, 2008, 01:27 AM
Depending on the location of the attachments, the complete cross option can be uncomfortable and unhygienic for male horses.

Woodland
Nov. 30, 2008, 04:06 AM
Some blankets are meant to criss cross and others are not. In fact some blankets if you connect incorrectly you void the warranty. So I prefer o criss cross - esp for turn out - but instead I follow the manufacturers recommendations for each style/brand of blanket.

PaintedCash
Nov. 30, 2008, 04:13 AM
ditto to Woodland. Big D blankets tell you not to cross the straps. So with a Big D blanket/sheet, I don't. I have a schneider's blanket now for my Haflinger, and I cross the straps like #3. If I don't it slides around too much.

Traum
Nov. 30, 2008, 04:38 AM
#3, when done up this way, the leg reaching forward doesn't rub the opposite bum cheek when the strap tightens, as it can if done up in an X. The blanket is less prone to slipping/shifting if done with one strap dropped through the other and fastened on its same side.

Emryss
Nov. 30, 2008, 08:42 PM
I do up the blankets in the manner the owner did them up. My answer, therefore, is "All of the above."

philosoraptor
Nov. 30, 2008, 08:55 PM
Some blankets are meant to criss cross and others are not. In fact some blankets if you connect incorrectly you void the warranty. So I prefer o criss cross - esp for turn out - but instead I follow the manufacturers recommendations for each style/brand of blanket.

Do we mean the leg straps ? or the belly ones?

Just double checking we're all talking abotu the same thing.

Curious: How could a crossed LEG strap void a warranty? :confused:

TouchstoneAcres
Nov. 30, 2008, 11:15 PM
#3 for all but stallion. No crossing for him. Wouldn't want to irritate the jewels.

horsepoor
Dec. 1, 2008, 12:24 AM
I do the 3rd method for all my horses/blankets except those Saratoga fly sheets -- those I just do up on the same side (no crossing) as that is what the manufacturer recommends. I've tried the criss cross (method #2 in the poll) before and found that just pulls the sheet back and forth more.

Appsolute
Dec. 1, 2008, 02:30 AM
The horse next to mine wears a blanket, and the owners doesn't loop the leg straps (like you are supposed to!).

That poor horse has a shifted blanket and a major leg strap wegi every day (and the other leg strap is dangling below his hock, dangerous!).. and every day I right his blanket. Wish his owner would cross the straps!

Hilary
Dec. 1, 2008, 11:10 AM
My gelding HATES having his leg straps crossed. So he gets them wrapped just around each leg. I've tried crossing them, and looping through for the "faux cross" and each time he got a nasty wedgie. So I just loop them and he's comfortalbe.

There is no "right" way, Appsolute, except for "Right way for this horse".

Valentina_32926
Dec. 1, 2008, 11:59 AM
Didn't vote - I think they're dangerous so I don't buy that type of blanket.

wstrngrl
Dec. 1, 2008, 12:35 PM
Didn't vote - I think they're dangerous so I don't buy that type of blanket.

What type of blanket doesn't have leg straps? And how is a blanket without leg straps to hold in it place safer than one with?

MajMeadowMorgans
Dec. 1, 2008, 12:50 PM
^My Rhinos don't have leg straps.

spacehorse
Dec. 1, 2008, 01:08 PM
I voted for #3...it is a MAJOR pet peeve when the straps aren't crossed.

Not crossing them lets the blankets shift when they roll, then the straps are too long and get caught on their hocks (cause I cross them, the owners don't, and they don't adjust accordingly! :mad: )

eclipse
Dec. 1, 2008, 03:20 PM
I picked two, but kind of do three... I clip to opposite sides, but also loop the straps through each other, so they won't rub the legs. But by clipping to opposite sides, if one strap somehow comes unclipped, the blanket won't be able to slip way to the side and get stepped on (guess how I came up with this method).

This is what I do too (same reasoning as well!) :lol:

Tilly
Dec. 1, 2008, 04:53 PM
I picked option #2 :cool: :winkgrin:

Huntertwo
Dec. 1, 2008, 06:16 PM
I do option 2, but think I'll give 3 a try. :)

Pat
Dec. 1, 2008, 07:08 PM
I picked #3, but #2 is fine as far as I'm concerned.

Uh, if the leg straps are adjusted properly, I don't see how crossing them would 'irratate' a stallion at all. If they are too tight to start with, then yeah.

Option #1 is unnacceptable to me. I've had horses get some wicked rubs from doing it that way when owners or lazy staff did straps that way.

Lieslot
Dec. 1, 2008, 08:03 PM
I do option 2, but think I'll give 3 a try.

Same here, I'll give number 3 a try. It never occured to me I could be doing it wrong, (well not necessarily wrong) or that there were different ways to do the legstraps. I always assumed number 2 was THE only way :lol:.

SUECLOUDY
Dec. 1, 2008, 08:25 PM
Does someone have a picture of what #3 looks like?? I do the criss cross #2 and have seen #1 but I cannot picture what the #3 looks like?

MsM
Dec. 1, 2008, 08:32 PM
You just do one leg strap hooking to the back on the same side. Then when you move to the other side you run this leg strap thru the loop of the first one before hooking to the back on the same (second) side.