PDA

View Full Version : Derned ole armadillos

pj
Nov. 7, 2008, 09:53 AM
Does anyone have a clue how to repell (encourage to leave) armadillo? This is horse related as last night the little gray darlings decided to work in one of my pastures planted with month old rye grass which was planted for the horses. Normally they are content to stay around the house and barns and work in the wood chips and that's okay but digging up beautiful new grass planted for the horses is NOT ok. I really don't want to shoot them as (yes, I'm one of those) I believe that we should not destroy wildlife just cause they are there.
And now I'm off to ride the forest on this beautiful beautiful day.
Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Frank B
Nov. 7, 2008, 09:59 AM
Armadillo = 'possum on the half-shell

Katy9532
Nov. 7, 2008, 10:02 AM
I don't really now how to get rid of them. My dad used to set up humane traps but that is kinda a pain.

Armadillos are varmints, and varmint hunting is legal year round, so I say plink away!!!! I would, sounds like fun!!!!!!

Lori B
Nov. 7, 2008, 10:05 AM
Frank B, that is sheer poetry. Hee hee hee hee.

Sleepy
Nov. 7, 2008, 10:21 AM

True, but they are cuter. :lol:

pj, I'll trade you my fireants :eek: for your armadillos any day.

RHdobes563
Nov. 7, 2008, 11:30 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guin
Nov. 7, 2008, 12:47 PM
Do they actually eat the grass, or are they just digging holes in it looking for bugs and worms?

JanM
Nov. 7, 2008, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately the only way to get rid of them is the SSS option. If you get them in your yard here they give you a humane catch trap and then take the animal away and shoot it. Armadillos will dig up huge amounts of land looking for their favored food source and there's no way to get rid of them as far as I know.

Beverley
Nov. 7, 2008, 01:48 PM
Unfortunately the only way to get rid of them is the SSS option.

Sad, but true. My uncle used to pay my cousin and I a small bounty to undertake this task in his fields full of dairy cattle. We were aided by a dog (picture Ol' Yeller) who would chase 'em down, and hold 'em by the tail while we dispatched them at point blank range with a 12 gauge shotgun. Some dog.

Later, though, I had a pet armadillo, and I really enjoyed him. Leash trained him and he would eat bugs from the gutter as we moseyed up the street. Cute little fella. Dead in his pen one day, cause unknown but I recall hoping it wasn't leprosy!

So if I had 'em in my field, I guess I've gone soft (and their numbers have dramatically dimished since the 1960s), I'd just live with 'em.

pinkdiamondracing
Nov. 7, 2008, 02:44 PM

O M G!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I just spewed Smirnoff Ice all over my laptop!!!:lol::lol::lol:

pj
Nov. 7, 2008, 03:26 PM
oooh pooo. You guys are no help. I've been living with them and don't mind at all if they'll stay out of the pastures. I don't even mind smoothing down the wood chip piles the little boogers have made around the barn and feed sheds. This is the first time they've hit the pastures and I'm hoping they didn't find a thing and will give it up.
Guin, they plough and make holes looking for bugs, worms, etc. Unfortunately when they plough it uproots this new grass.
We found a mound with an armadilla sized hole in a small pasture we don't use yesterday so guess they're planning on being permanent residents instead of just nightly visitors.
Just got in from riding and the forest is absolutely beautiful! It feels so good to be riding along and sudden have hundreds of yellow leaves falling all around you like snow. Hope everyone is taking advantage of this great weather and the beautiful fall.
Possom on the half shell!!! eeeeeuuuuuuu. :)

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 7, 2008, 03:30 PM
Coyotes kill them, but coyotes will also eat your cats and small dogs and every bird that nests on or near the ground.

Beverley
Nov. 7, 2008, 03:42 PM
If indeed coyotes will go after them (I can't say as there weren't coyotes in the neighborhood when I was growing up)- then you COULD try going to a huntin' goods store and buying coyote urine (or order some from the web, I have no experience with the site but www.predatorpee.com (http://www.predatorpee.com) is if nothing else a fun name. Apply liberally around the area you want the 'dillos to avoid and see if it works.

Frank B
Nov. 7, 2008, 04:32 PM
Or you could catch a coyote and teach him to pee on command...

We had a launch at Cape Canaveral scrubbed because of one. It crawled into a LOX (liquid Oxygen) line the night before, and when we started loading LOX it clogged up a filter. Pretty gross -- freeze-dried armadillo. They were a PITA, got into everything.

Lori B
Nov. 7, 2008, 04:57 PM
Frank, I think you could search the entire internet for the rest of your life and not find a reference to freeze dried armadillo. Snort.

Huntertwo
Nov. 7, 2008, 05:06 PM
Armadillos are varmints, and varmint hunting is legal year round, so I say plink away!!!! I would, sounds like fun!!!!!!

Yeah, real fun.... :sigh:

Seriously_Hunter
Nov. 7, 2008, 05:47 PM
Or you could catch a coyote and teach him to pee on command...

:lol::lol::lol: I just about spewed diet coke all over my laptop!!!!! :D

Woodsperson
Nov. 7, 2008, 06:03 PM
I had an acquaintance that had a large infestation at his farm. he borrowed 4 jack russells from his sister and let them loose. They took care of the problem. It wasn't exactly the humane solution you are looking for-more like a blood bath.

Guin
Nov. 7, 2008, 06:42 PM
Geez, you people are bloodthirsty. :no:

One thing that works to keep deer and squirrels away from stuff is cayenne pepper. Maybe you could try sprinkling some around its hole?

FlightCheck
Nov. 7, 2008, 07:18 PM
No answer here, but I do know if you set bushes on fire, an armadillo will jump 6' STRAIGHT UP to the sky, land, give you a dirty look, and swim through the pond to get away

Guin
Nov. 7, 2008, 07:31 PM
No answer here, but I do know if you set bushes on fire, an armadillo will jump 6' STRAIGHT UP to the sky

That's why so many of them get killed by cars - their defense mechanism is to jump up - and right into the car undercarriage/grill. :(

pj
Nov. 7, 2008, 07:37 PM
Well you guys have some really interesting ideas but I guess I'll just have to keep living with them.:( We've got coyotes and they don't seem to be doing a very good job of keeping the little shelled dummys under control. Got a jack russel but somehow can't see myselfl turning him loose on them. Serving them on the half shell....well.....I don't think I can handle that although my crazy brother ate one once.
They are really as dumb as a rock and you can walk right up to them, to lkill them doesn't seem fair.

pj
Nov. 7, 2008, 07:38 PM
LOL and you know this how?

Woodland
Nov. 8, 2008, 12:55 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

Texarkana
Nov. 8, 2008, 01:48 PM
This thread is hilarous! :lol:

But seriously, I'd also be curious to know any methods to keep them out of the pasture. After two years, my yankee horses still can't figure out how to cohabitate with them peacefully (i.e. without trying to kill themselves upon sight of the armored possums).

And just because I have it in my photobucket, my horses' favorite kind of dillo:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/tryphena1/HPIM1938.jpg

Foxtrot's
Nov. 8, 2008, 10:18 PM
What's that red stuff - you mean it's DEAD?! - You guys are sick. There again, you are there and I am here, far away from the problem.

Elisha
Nov. 8, 2008, 10:59 PM
On a serious note:
Armadillos LOVE grub worms, and generally that is what they are looking for. If you treat your pasture with something that will kill grub worms (check with your local Ag Center if you have one), more than likely the Armadillos will move.

pj
Nov. 9, 2008, 12:11 PM
On a serious note:
Armadillos LOVE grub worms, and generally that is what they are looking for. If you treat your pasture with something that will kill grub worms (check with your local Ag Center if you have one), more than likely the Armadillos will move.

Maybe they didn't find anything good in the pasture!:) They haven't been back in there.
Of course they're still working the wood chips we have all around the barn and feed sheds but that I can live with. IF they hit the pasture again I will check into this. Thanks.
Picture of dead armadillo....EEEEEEUUUUUUUU. Just what I'm trying to avoid. Poor little dummy.

Elisha
Nov. 9, 2008, 03:27 PM
When we had Armadillos digging up our yard, I had lots of people willing to come shoot them for me (in Louisiana they love to have an excuse to shoot some animal). I would have none of that....so after some research and contacting our local Ag center we treated our yard for grub worm. Now they just did up our landscaping, which is fine.

Glad to hear that they are staying out of the pastures!