PDA

View Full Version : Hellhole Sugarcreek, OH - crossposting with permisson

luvmytbs
Oct. 26, 2008, 10:55 AM
Sugarcreek, October 17, 2008
by: Anne Russek

In the past few weeks there have been several stories about the continued abuses and lack of regulatory enforcement at the Sugarcreek auction in Ohio.

First we had the story of the two weanlings that were rescued by Rachael and Amy.
The filly had been brought to the auction with a broken hip and a broken
ankle. After her rescue, while being examined at a local veterinary clinic, she was also discovered to have a severely torn vulva. The filly was humanely euthanised at the clinic due to the severity of her injuries. Leroy Baker , the owner of Sugarcreek, refused to disclose the name of the individual who had brought the filly to the auction in this condition. You can read the entire heartbreaking story and view photo's of the little filly "Rememberence" here
_http://forums. delphiforums. com/alexbrown/ messages? msg=29138. 1_ (http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexbrown/messages?msg=29138.1_)
(http://forums. delphiforums. com/alexbrown/ messages? msg=29138. 1 (http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexbrown/messages?msg=29138.1))

One week later, Vicki was on a day trip to the town of Sugarcreek and decided to stop at the auction on Monday. She quickly learned that a cattle auction was underway, but she happened to wander into the pen area since she had spotted a few horses left over from the Friday auction. Unfortunately, she happened upon a dead pile which contained two dead horses and two dead cows.

Incredibly , one of the "dead" horses began flailing his legs and weakly trying to whinny. Despite repeated efforts to obtain help for this unfortunate animal, she was unable to contact any humane officials, and the auction management showed no particular concern about the situation. Vicki did take pictures however, and hopefully charges can still be filed. You can read Vicki's firsthand account and view photo's of what she saw at Sugarcreek here
_http://www.borderco llie.org/ boards/index. php?showtopic= 21308_ (http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=21308_)
(http://www.borderco llie.org/ boards/index. php?showtopic= 21308 (http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=21308))

In recent weeks several racetracks have adopted a" zero tolerance" policy relating to racehorses being sent to slaughter via auctions and direct to kill venues. All tracks under the Magna partnership are now operating under a no slaughter policy. Since Thistledowns is a Magna track, and Sugarcreek has often been the destination for many Thistledowns horses, I decided to go to Sugarcreek on Oct 17.

I also had information that a particular horse from Mountaineer
might be at the auction, and for reasons I am not able to elaborate on in this report , I chose this date. A good freind of mine, Linda, took it upon
herself to raise the money so that I might rescue this horse if he was at the auction. Linda raised funds for his purchase, transport, and board. She did this in within 24 hours of my departure.

I arrived at Sugarcreek at 8:30 AM Friday. As usual, at this early hour , the pens are easy to navigate. I went into each pen that had horses and began "flipping lips".

The first few horses I looked at were standardbreds, and the
only thoroughbred I found had a very hard to read tatoo. I walked to the last pen in the back of the auction which had twenty or more horses left over from the previous weeks auction. These were all Leroy Bakers ( owner of Sugarcreek) horses designated for slaughter. Several of the horses in this pen had profuse nasal discharges and one horse had an obvious case of strangles. I quickly spotted a chestnut, Hip # 404 and recorded his tatoo. His name was No Problem For Dino. He was last owned and trained by Ronald Puhl.

The pen across the aisle from these horses was full of snotty nosed cattle. Unlike my other trips to Sugarcreek, these cattle were quite friendly. It was very easy for me to reach through the board fence and pet their heads. The floor of the pen was covered in manure, there was hay and water, but as usual, the pens are so overcrowded many of the animals never get near the hay or water.

I walked outside and saw a corral made up of portable gates. This pen was also full of last weeks horses. There was a round hay feeder in the middle of this very muddy pen. The water trough was bone dry, and so I filled it with a hose that was lying on the ground. I wondered to myself how many Sugarcreek employees walked past that trough and the hose without ever bothering to give those horses water. As soon as I turned the hose on, the horses began pushing and biting each other to get a drink. The weaker and less dominant horses stayed far back, patiently waiting their turn. I couldn't help but notice all the racing plates that were lying in the mud in this corral.

I also noticed many more horses with heavy nasal discharge. As I walked to the back of the corral I saw a gray horse with a completely swollen right front leg. He could not walk on it, and his body was covered with bite marks.

I climbed into the corral and ran my hand down his leg to see if it was
swollen from a cut or laceration. I felt no cuts, and my thoughts were that his knee was broken. He was very gentle, very responsive to my touch. I went to the hay feeder and brought some hay back over to him which he immediately devoured.

Of course, once you give hay to one, you then spend quite a bit of time
making piles all across the pen to keep everyone from fighting or taking it away from the weak and sick horses. The saddest ones are the horses that can't eat because they are either in too much pain, or too sick. Others won't eat because they are in too much stress. These are the horses that have given up. These are the horses that seem to understand this is the end of the line.

I walked back into the building and came upon the auction veterinarian,
Melissa Reddick, drawing coggins using the "gate method". This is a process by which a group of horses without halters are put into a long aisleway with a swinging gate at each end. The horses are herded down the aisle by the Amish with long whips and then they are singled out individually by being pinned between the gate and the sides of the aisleway. Reddick then climbs up the rungs of the gate, reaches over and sticks the horse with a needle to draw blood. If the horse thrashes, which most of them do, the Amish smack and holler at them, and apply more pressure on the gate which freaks the horse out more, which results in more yelling and more beating. Eventually the horse freezes in fear and
the vet gets her blood.

It makes absolutely no sense why the auction does not require horses to arrive with halters on so that coggins may be drawn in a safer and less stressful manner. Most of the abuse that occurs at Sugarcreek is
because the horses do not have halters and the Amish beat them to move them instead of leading them. Horses slipping and falling on the concrete floors as they are being herded from pen to pen is common.

While I was watching Melissa Reddick draw the coggins on Hip # 941, I heard her tell her assistant that the horse was not fit for travel because of a heavy discharge from its nostrils. I tried to find out after the sale if the horse had been shipped, but Leroy Baker does not have to give out any information if he does not want to. I also wondered why Reddick had decided that particular horse was not fit for travel when there were at least fifty other horses at the auction with discharge worse than # 941.

I went to the area where the horses are offloaded from the trailers. As
usual, any stud ponies or small intact horses are put in very narrow standing stalls that resemble stockades. These stalls are so tight and confining the horses can only shift their weight one step forward or backwards. I saw horses put in these stalls as early as 9 AM and stand in them until they sold at 2 PM. They had no hay, no water. When they urinate , they pee on their legs.

Sometime during the morning, a very tiny mini was placed in one of these standing stalls. This poor animal was as sick as any horse I have ever seen. Its mane was impossibly tangled with burrs, it was skinny, and its entire face was crooked and deformed because of what appeared to be a sinus infection. Profuse snot was dripping from its nose. I went to a pen where there was hay and brought a handful back to the pony. I unlatched the heavy iron bolt that kept the door closed and placed the hay on the urine soaked floor in front of the pony. She weakly put her head down to eat but it appeared she could not chew and swallow.

As more horses were arriving at the auction, the sounds of horses being
kicked in overcrowded pens becomes more frequent. I walked over to one particularly noisy pen and saw a gelding who had obviously been proud cut trying to mount mares and kicking the daylights out of the other geldings. He was so aggressive the entire pen was in constant motion. I then noticed a bay horse with a swollen left leg and a large laceration across her knee. The yellow pus running down her leg was apparent from twenty feet away. She was frozen in fear because of the commotion all around her, and the aggressive gelding was working his way towards her. I entered the pen and attempted to catch the gelding. It wasn't easy, but a man standing outside the pen watching me reached over the fence in an effort to keep the gelding in one corner of the pen.

Fortunately I caught him with a halter I had brought with me, and I led him out of the pen and put him into a box stall by himself. I gave him some hay and went back to find the injured horse which we later identified as a standardbred. I put the halter on the mare and slowly led her to the gate.

A young woman saw me and offered to help by keeping the other horses away from me so I could get the mare out of the pen. About this time an Amish employee came over to watch me. The young woman saw him and said loud enough from him to hear " We're moving this horse because we don't want her to get kicked.". He looked at her leg and said, "She didn't get knicked here, she come in that way". He then turned and walked away. I thanked the woman and put the mare in another empty box stall and gave her hay.

At this time I decided to call the local humane officer to see if anything
could be done for the gary horse with the injured leg, the bay mare with the knee, and the pitiful mini. I called the Sugarcreek sherriffs office (
330-339-2000) to get the number for animal control. I was told to call 330-339-8968 and ask for Dawn Smitely. I called the number and got an answering service who told me they would contact her.

While I waited, I saw Fred Bauer, a well known kill buyer back up to one of the unloading ramps. Thinking he may have thoroughbreds from the track , I walked over to see what he had. When Fred opened the back door of his very large trailer, I saw he only had five or six horses.

The first one was a small chestnut horse that looked like it could be a two year old thoroughbred. Fred put him in a box stall directly across from his
trailer. I went into the stall and Bauer watched me, I asked him if it was a
thoroughbred as I was flipping his lip. Bauer said "No, he's no horoughbred, I got him off an Amish fellow, says he's a real dangerous horse.". I commented that he didn't seem very typical of the kind of horse the Amish usually send to auction and Bauer shrugged his shoulders and offered that the horse was dangerous because he was " probably the result of a $10.00 Amish castration .".

About this time Kathy and Diana met up with me and we went to every pen looking for thoroughbreds. I showed them the three injured horses. Kathy said that the thoroughbreds from Mountaineer would not arrive until the sale was ready to start, and the throughbreds we did identify had been left over from the previous Friday.

We were able to get good readings on two or three, and had
difficulty with two or three others. The same gelding I had identified earlier, No Problem For Dino, made it very obvious we were not leaving without him. Kathy said that even though he would not sell through the ring, she felt sure she could buy him privately after the sale.

Kathy and Diana went to wait for the Mounatineer horses and I made another call to animal control. The answering service told me they had no way to page the humane offficer, Dawn Smitely. Worried that she would never get the message, I called a county commisioner , Mr.Abbuhl. I had been advised by an Ohio Department of Agriculture official, Dr. Darmen, that all abuse at auctions must go through the local humane officer, and so I decided to follow the chain of command to get through to Ms. Smitely. Mr. Abbuhl told me that Dawn would be at the auction within the hour.

I went back to the unloading area just as the auction began selling the
horses. Not long after, the Mountaineer horses arrived. There were five of them, all without halters, all wearing racing plates. Their shoes made sparks on the concrete floors as they scrambled to keep their balance as they were herded into a pen closest to the auction ring. They were a very attractive group. Four of the five were easy to catch and read their tatoos. The large bay, with an obvious bowed tendon, Hip# 406, was the hardest to catch. He was beside himself with worry. No matter how many rescues I go on, I am always torn apart by the look of confusion in the eyes of the thoroughbreds. They are desperate for someone to lead them to a place of safety.

While we were still reading tattoos, and Amish man opened the gate to their pen and herded them into the aisleway so they could have their blood drawn. Like so many other horses before them, they were pinned in the gate while Reddick drew blood. Every one of these thoroughbreds off the track have a valid cogggins in the racing office, I have no
idea why the kill buyers who pick them up at the track don't bring the coggins with them. I suspect it is because the name of the last owner and trainer is on them. Not to mention, it would be harder for the track management to ignore the slaughter pipeline.

About this time I noticed a Sugarcreek police car pull into the parking lot.
I decided to go check on the standardbred with the hurt knee and was shocked to see her being herded down an aisleway on her way to the auction ring. She went through the ring in less than 20 seconds, was purchased by Leroy Baker, and put in the kill pen with twenty or more other horses. I went to her pen and as I was going in to check on her, I was stopped by Dr. Reddick, a policeman and Dawn Smitely. Dawn asked me if my name was Anne, and I told her "yes". She asked me what was the problem. I told them that there were three horses at the auction who were obviously brought to the auction by their owners suffering
from either abuse or neglect. I offered to go into the pen and show them
Hip#807. I led her over and Dr. reddick immediately stated the leg was not broken. I asked her how she could make that call when the knee was swollen three times its normal size with a deep laceration and yellow pus dripping down her leg. Reddick said it can't be broken because she is standing on it. I then pointed out that if someone had given her enough Banamine and bute she would be able to stand, but only an x-ray could determine if it was broken. The policeman asked Redick if that was true and Reddick acknowledged she couldn't say for sure without an x-ray. I told the policeman that since the horse was standing in a kill pen, I wanted to make sure she would not be loaded on a trailer and forced to ship thousands of miles. Reddick said she would not okay her for
transport.

Reddick went on a rant about how it was not her job to check every horse , but rather she was only responsible for taking coggins. She said that going in the pens was too dangerous, and she had recently been badly injured and was not going to risk her life checking for abused horses.
I then told them there was another horse outside. We walked over to the
broken legged gray horse. This time , everyone took a step back. Dr. Reddick told the policeman she had never seen this horse before, it had been here for over a week, and she would never issue a health certificate for him to be transported. The policeman asked if his leg was broken and she said she did not know.

About this time one of Bakers thugs came from out of nowhere. He demanded to know what we were doing and said the horse was private property and Baker could do whatever he wanted with him. Reddick explained the horse could not travel. The thug said that it was not Bakers fault the horse was in this condition, that the horse had been brought to the auction looking like this. I asked if that meant the horse had been standing in the pen with a broken leg for over a week and the thug said it was none of my business. Dawn, ( humane officer) said that Baker could not be held responsible since he had bought the horse at auction, not brought the horse to auction.

I suggested we could find out who had brought the horse here if we asked Baker to check his sales records and the thug said that was not going to happen. Dawn indicated to me that if I filed a complaint Baker would have to reveal the name and I said , "fine, I'll file a complaint.". I then told Dawn there was still another horse we needed to look at.

We then all walked back inside to the standing stalls. I removed the steel
bar to the door and showed them the mini, cowering in the back of her filthy stall, with her deformed face. Dr. Reddick immediately diagnosed her as having a severe sinus infection. I found it amazing that she could immediately recognize a severe sinus infection within thirty seconds but could not acknowledge a horse may have a broken leg when it was swollen three times its normal size.
At any rate, it was once again agreed that the horse was brought to the auction in this condition, and that the owner was guilty of abuse or neglect. At this point, the police officer was showing obvious signs of resentment. He did not want to be here, and he just wanted to know whether or not a complaint was going to be made. Once again, I told him I was wiling to make that complaint.

Dr. Reddick then began to state her case. She said , again, that her job was not to tell owners they could not bring their abused horses to the auction. ( Dawn Smitely later confided to me the exact opposite, Dawn said that if Reddick would call her when these types of horses showed up at the auction, Dawn could prosecute).

Reddick also went on to say that if the abused and neglected horses
were not admitted to the auction, they would only be abused further at the owners home. I couldn't decide if Reddick did not know the law or felt she had the right to interpret the law to suit her own agenda. I told Dr. Reddick that is precisely why we have animal abuse laws, so that the offenders are prosecuted. Dr. Reddick said I was living a fantasy and that she would not/could not uphold the law. Dr. Reddick then proclaimed that the single biggest illegal activity taking place at the Sugarcreek Auction was the fact that every Friday, after the sale, dealers were leaving the auction with trailer loads of horses and crossing state lines without health certificates or coggins papers. She said that DOT was not doing their job. This opinion was verified by Dawn Smitely. Amazingly enough, even though the police officer heard both of these authorities tell him about the illegal activity that would be occurring that very afternoon, he made no effort to call DOT.

I also spoke to Reddick about the weanling filly from the auction two weks before. Reddick acknowledged that the filly had a brokem hip and ankle, but when I told her about the torn vulva, she said " that filly did not have a torn vulva when she came in, she got that after she got here.".

I told the officer and Dawn that I wanted to file a complaint against the
owners of the three horses we had looked at, who had brought these injured animals to the auction. The officer commented he should be home by now, but agreed to go with Dawn to speak with Baker.

The sale was winding down but I noticed a young man leading an exceptionally attractive bay mare in from the parking lot. She had a leather halter with her name plate, Foxey Nokea. I asked the man why he was bringing the mare to this auction. He told me that the horse belonged to his partner's girlfriend who was going to vet school and could no longer afford to keep her. I asked if he knew this was a slaughter auction. He acted uncomfortable, but said "she won't go for slaughter, I am going to walk her in the ring myself". I asked him why he thought that would make a diference but he said that it would. I asked him what he wanted for her, and he said he did not know, but whatever she brought, the partner would take. I told him that I could find a buyer for her, but would need a few days. He said they could not wait. I then offered to pay her board if he took her back home until I found a buyer. He said he would ask his
partner. I told him I would be around after the sale to give him some money, but to please not let her go to the kill buyers. He told me that would not happen.

By now, Dawn and the policeman returned from talking to Baker. Dawn said that Baker was going to shoot the gray horse. Dawn said that Baker was going to put a bandage on the standardbreds leg, and if it was not better by the morning, he would shoot her also. (I offered to pay for x-rays but Baker refused.)

The mini had been purchased by a couple for $30.00, and they were going to take her home and try and save her. Dawn asked me if I was satisfied. I told Dawn that I not only was not satisfied, I wanted to know what follow up she intended to do. Dawn said if there was no complaint, as far as she was concerned, the investigation was over. I told Dawn I wanted to file a complaint, and I wanted her to do a follow -up on all three horses. Dawn was not happy with my resquest, and the policeman was real unhappy with my request. Dawn said that this was why she hated coming to the auction. She said she was underpaid, ($400.00 per month) and she was tired of being yelled at by Baker. She also mentioned a five year old son but I have no idea what he had to do with the situation.

The police officer said he was going home, and if I wanted to file a
complaint I had to go to the Sugarcreek police station but the only other officer who could register my complaint was at a traffic accident and might not be back for hours. I told him I would wait at the police station as long as I had to. That was the last I saw of Dawn and the policeman.

By now the auction was over. I saw the boy who had brought Foxey Nokea in. I asked him what happened and he said," the killers got her". I asked him why he had allowed that to happen, and he shrugged his shoulders and said "my parner wasn't going to bring her home". I reminded him that I had said Iwould pay her board but he said that his partner did not care. I cannot get that mares face out of my mind. I never thought for a minute that I would be leaving the auction without her.

The pro -slaughter side promotes the lie that the horses are unwanted, but the truth is that auctions such as Sugarcreek are set up to deter people from buying the horses in the first place. For starters, the horses are in crowded pens with no halters. Secondly, the thoroughbreds are the last to arrive and the first to sell. They have no opportunity to be examined by the public. The auction process takes less than thirty seconds per horse.

There is no protection for the buyer regarding the health or soundness of an animal, I saw a large bottle of Banamine on a shelf next to one of the pens. Anyone could have used it for any purpose.

While I was grieving for Foxey Nokea, Diana found me and told me that Fred Bauer was extorting money from Kathy. He had bought one of the Mountaineer throughbreds for less than $300.00 , yet he would only sell her to Kathy if she gave him an additional $500.00.She gave him the money, but his sinister demands limited our ability to save the other three. When it was all over, Kathy and Diana saved three, whose names and background are at the end of this report.

In regards to the abuse complaint, I have called Dawn Smitely every day for the past three days. She does not answer my calls, but I will persist. I would suggest that anyone who reads this report who wants to help should contact Rosemary Williams at Mountaineer Prk and ask why she does nothing to stop the pipeline from her racetarck to Sugarcreek. The number to call is 304-387-8300. This # will connect you to the stewards at which point you should tell them how disgusting it is that they send horses to slaughter and then ask for the number for Rosemary Williams, who is the director of racing at Mountaineer Park.

I would also call the mayor of Sugarcreek, Jerri Middaugh, 330-852-4415 and ask him why he allows the auction to operate in violation of federal transport regulations. I would also ask him why he allows this auction to accept abused and injured animals.

I would stop buying anything made or produced by the Amish. They have a serious problem within their cult, and their Bishops need to address the issue of cruelty towards their animals by a majority of their members.

I would also urge anyone who attends livestock auctions to start reporting
violations. The important thing to remember is to get the name and number of the humane officer before you go. Then, follow through with complaints when they do show up.

Finally, continue your support for the anti slaughter legislation in Washington. This bill should have been passed five years ago...... the horse slaughter pipeline is a disgrace to America, and the weekly violations point out the inadequacy of the USDA and state agriculture departments to police the industry.

Anne Russek

Here are the thoroughbreds from the Sugarcreek Auctio, Oct 17

Rocking Minardi( SAVED) last raced Oct 14 at Mountaineer for owner/trainer Patrick Jeffries. I have reason to believe that he is also the one who would not work with me to save Foxey Nokea.

No Problem For Dino (SAVED)last raced at Pinnacle on 9/27 for owner/trainer Ronald Puhl. This year he had also raced at Thistledown, Beulah, and Mountaineer.

Kaufy Machine ( SAVED)last raced at MNR on 10/6 for Trainer Charles Keiser and Owner, Fred Schunmann.

Dont Jinx It and Sagres are both dead...Bauer bought them. He wanted $500.00 more than he paid for us to rescue them and the funds were just not available.

Dont Jinx it last raced at MNR on 9/8 for trainer Donald Roberson and owner Paul Girdner.

Sagres last raced at Suffolk on May 7th for Trainer Gregory Rivera and owner Full Card Stable. Rivera gave the horse to the same guy that Suffolk ruled off for sending Dunemoor and Dahlia Denda to Camelot Auction several weeks ago.

While at the auction, Rosemary Williams of Mountaineer Park was contacted and informed that there were five horses from her racetrack at the auction earmarked for slaughter. We asked if she could intevene on their behalf, possibly by donating the extra funds to save them. She declined to help.

UPDATE!! October 24--I just spoke to the girl who rescued the mini. Her
veterinarian said the pony does not have a sinus infection, her nose had been broken, probably by geing beaten with a board or other object. Vet report is now on file.

Ted the Peep 'Ho
Oct. 26, 2008, 11:07 AM
Just ...sickening. Thank you for raising awareness.

Here Comes Luther
Oct. 26, 2008, 12:43 PM
That makes me sick...I live about 45 minutes from Sugarcreek...this breaks my heart. Those poor, poor horses.

theoldgreymare
Oct. 26, 2008, 01:27 PM
Reading this makes me ashamed of my race. Kudos to Anne for having the strength to pull horses out of that place. I remember going to the New Holland auction many years ago with my father when I was a child (not selling!). Thirty years later, I still carry some sickening images in my head from that day.

War Admiral
Oct. 26, 2008, 02:02 PM
Sounds to me like there are plenty of grounds to proceed against the vet there as well. Might I suggest a call/letter to the state regulatory authority for veterinary practitioners, along with the same to AAEP?

Likewise, COPY the statute governing transport regulations and drop it off at every police station in the jurisdiction. If the local police are anything like the ones in small Georgia towns, they LOVE to make a little bit of money on a citation or two. Let them have at it.

The only thing posted here that I do NOT agree with is to refuse to buy anything from the Amish. There are good Amish and bad Amish, just as there are any other type of horseperson, and referring to their religion as a "cult" smacks of racism.

You need to talk to the folks from Saddlebred Rescue. MANY Amish people HELP them save Saddlebreds. One of the best but saddest stories I've ever read on their forum was this: one time they were alerted by an Amish contact that there was a Saddlebred they could have that was being kept in a garage. Naturally, they thought "Oh GREAT, a GARAGE FFS" but they went anyway.

They arrived, and rather than finding the skinny, starved, abused wreck they expected, they found an elderly mare in good weight and good health, her coat shining. She was no longer able to do road work, but rather than send her to slaughter, her Amish owner had kept her in the garage, and his children had taken her out to hand graze EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

The Amish owner said he had just been "waiting and praying" for an organization just like SBR to come and step up for these horses. He and his kids cried when she got on the trailer.

Boycott the Amish - JUST because they are Amish?? I think not.

Boycott the killer dealers? Probably a much better idea.

twofatponies
Oct. 26, 2008, 02:11 PM
People are so f-ing hard hearted. Sick.

msrobin
Oct. 26, 2008, 02:18 PM
That is horrible Sugar Creek has to be stopped. There is no excuse for this type of behavior. Has the American Humane Society been contacted or the aspca or peta?

dalpal
Oct. 26, 2008, 02:33 PM
Has anyone ever alerted TV shows such as 20/20 and Dateline to this auction site????

You had better believe that I'll be picking up the phone tomorrow.

And SHAME on that "vet student" who sent her horse to the auction.

equinelaundry
Oct. 26, 2008, 02:50 PM
I got that alert yesterday and was pissed. God, it brought back so many memories of what I went through.

What are we going to do about this? I'm on board.

Annetta
Oct. 26, 2008, 02:54 PM
The killer auctions always make me sad, but I have never seen anything as horrific as Sugarcreek. I don't know if I could stand to go there & be so helpless to do anything for so many of the horses.

some of those people are the scum of the earth and I wish that what they do to animals could be done to them. As for the vet student that sent her horse there...I would not ever want that as my veterinarian.

dalpal
Oct. 26, 2008, 02:58 PM
Anyone think that ESPN would ever run a documentary on what happens to these horses after they race?

If the general public was more aware of what is happening to these horses...I think there would be more outrage, possibly able to get something done about it.

kookicat
Oct. 26, 2008, 03:36 PM
It's just sickening. :( Failure of the system because people can't be bothered/aren't interested in doing the right thing 'cause it's hard. :no:

If there was a book written about this, do you think it would help?

MillicentBystander
Oct. 26, 2008, 03:41 PM
If I was near there I would not mind going and putting on a hidden camera just to document what those fools are doing! I dont mind fighting the "big man" if they are doing wrong. Those horses wether they are going to slaughter or not deserve the very best up until the end.

BabyGoose
Oct. 26, 2008, 03:53 PM
If this kind of treatment was going on in someones backyard, the animal control or humane society would (hopefully?) do something about it. How come this auction can get away with this kind of treatment. A live horse lying out in the dead animal pile for hours! Come on, there is a vet on site, how hard is it to take two seconds to put it down. This stuff makes me so mad.

To all those who have the heart to continually go to this horrible place and can rescue even one horse, THANK YOU! For those of us that are too far away to help by going to the auction, what kinds of stuff can we do to help. Donations to rescues of course, but can we help through writing letters etc, or has all that been done to no avail?

kaykay
Oct. 26, 2008, 04:09 PM
I was posting links on another forum for babygoose and thought I would also post them here

Fugly horse is also trying to find the race horse to get it before it ships out. If anyone knows please contact her

Petition to stop sugarcreek

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/no-more-animal-cruelty-at-sugarcreek-please

Link to story that was on HBO about Sugarcreek

http://dealwithitdaily.blogspot.com/2008/05/no-day-off-running-for-their-lives.html

kookicat
Oct. 26, 2008, 04:12 PM
The only way anything is going to get done is by getting it into the national media. Newspapers, tv shows, whatever. Needs to be out there so people know about it. Of course, you need good solid evidence of the abuse. Pics, video, something to prove that it's going on, that people all over the country can see for themselves just how bad it is.

scrtwh
Oct. 26, 2008, 04:23 PM
God, that poor horse lying in the pile of dead ones. I agree that this has to go out to the masses. The total lack of professionalism from folks whose job it is to oversee this is pitiful.

bird4416
Oct. 26, 2008, 04:54 PM
First, a big thanks to the people who go to this hell hole to try and save a few horses. Secondly, why do they feel that only the t'breds are worth saving? And lastly, that auction really needs to be cleaned up. A news expose' might just be the push that gets this rolling.

twofatponies
Oct. 26, 2008, 05:23 PM
Although it sounds like Sugarcreek is an extreme example of a really bad slaughter-auction place, closing it isn't going to make the owners of those animals say "gee, I think I'll call the vet and take good care of this horse, since there's no auction house nearby".

Calling out the people who are supposed to be responsible for maintaining some semblance of decency there is a good start. The problems there come down to people being caught between doing not much for not much money, or having battles with irate auction owners and horse owners for not much money. Make it worth their while to do their job right, and they will stop trying to slide by with minimal effort. (Not everyone has the rescuer's heart, where they will step up and do what's right if doing what's right is hard.)

But fundamentally people need to have a safe, decent way to dispose of horses. There will always be unwanted horses, no matter how good the economy, no matter how few horses there are. Some people are just cruel, and some are ignorant, and some are cheapskates.

The poor animals described in this thread would have been much better off simply shot at home than dragged to the auction. I'd like to see a lot more euthanasia in some of these cases - whether by charities who provide it at home or by the vet at the auction house. A guy you could call, like the knackers of old, who would swing by in his truck, shoot the poor creature, give you $20, and haul off the carcass.

The whole system just sucks.

Calhoun
Oct. 26, 2008, 05:32 PM
I was at Sugarcreek 10 years ago and it is exactly as described by the OP. The experience is a stain on my memory, never to be forgotten.

equinelaundry
Oct. 26, 2008, 06:35 PM
If I was near there I would not mind going and putting on a hidden camera just to document what those fools are doing! I dont mind fighting the "big man" if they are doing wrong. Those horses wether they are going to slaughter or not deserve the very best up until the end.

Hidden cameras have been used for documentation. It makes no difference. Our lawmakers and government officials here in Ohio know exactly what's going on. :mad: See, here in OH our Farm Bureau works and lobby's very hard for people like Baker. They fight very hard against anything that has to do with the welfare of the horse because they are afraid that it will require more humane laws regarding other livestock.

There are a few individuals on this board who work endless hours on Sugarcreek. One group in particular was able to get fines imposed on Baker.

http://www.animals-angels.com/index.php?pageID=start_us&sessionLang=us

palaminofancy
Oct. 26, 2008, 07:19 PM
Ohio isn't the only state - Iowa has Kalona Sale Barn which I have heard is horrible! A friend of mine goes every month, and she has managed to save many poor souls over the years.
I can not go. I would end up in jail because I would not be able to control my temper.
The horses are herded thru the ring at a record pace, getting hit all the time by the men with the sorting sticks to keep them moving.

twofatponies
Oct. 26, 2008, 07:42 PM
It's a small thing, but this rescue offers affordable euthanasia for horses: http://www.norcalequinerescue.com/clinics.php

ColicHappens
Oct. 26, 2008, 07:57 PM
Does Dr. Melissa Reddick still work for Sugarcreek Veterinary Hospital? A Google search shows her there in 2006. Apparently this hospital is directly associated with The Ohio State University vet school!! Dr. Reddick is a fairly recent graduate (OSU '05).

If OSU/Sugarcreek Vet Hospital do provide services to this livestock sale, they might choose to get more involved if their role was made more public.

onthebit
Oct. 26, 2008, 07:59 PM
Reading that made me ashamed to be human. The little mini especially made me sad, so small and defenseless, I'm glad the mini is with the couple and getting good care. :cry::cry::cry:

BabyGoose
Oct. 26, 2008, 09:06 PM
First, a big thanks to the people who go to this hell hole to try and save a few horses. Secondly, why do they feel that only the t'breds are worth saving? And lastly, that auction really needs to be cleaned up. A news expose' might just be the push that gets this rolling.

I doubt they feel that TB's are the only ones worth saving. It is just that they can't save them all and are focusing on TB's. Just like some people might focus on drafts, standardbreds, mustangs, etc. I cross posted this to a mini forum that I frequent because of the mini that was mentioned. I was hoping that miniature horse folks in the area could keep an eye out for minis. I love minis and have four of them. Three of which are rescues. I also own a OTTB that could have easily ended up on a slaughter truck as well as a draft cross. I wish I could save them ALL! But if I were to go to an auction like that, I would probably focus on the minis and ponies, even though I love them all. It must be unbelievable hard to go into these places. Just reading the stories makes me so sad, angry, and I can't get the images those written words and photos have left in my mind and heart. I don't know what I would do if I was standing there staring at a live horse struggling in the dead animal pile. I am sure it is very difficult to not be able to help when so many horses are in need. Again, a huge thank you to those who go in and save even one horse, any horse. God bless you.

dalpal
Oct. 26, 2008, 10:14 PM
Does Dr. Melissa Reddick still work for Sugarcreek Veterinary Hospital? A Google search shows her there in 2006. Apparently this hospital is directly associated with The Ohio State University vet school!! Dr. Reddick is a fairly recent graduate (OSU '05).

If OSU/Sugarcreek Vet Hospital do provide services to this livestock sale, they might choose to get more involved if their role was made more public.

I tried typing in her name in the directory and nothing came up....so I don't think she is still there.....man, would I like to give her a piece of my mind.

danceronice
Oct. 27, 2008, 01:06 AM
I wonder if people who eat horsemeat imported from Canada and Mexico know the conditions in which horses are kept and shipped before they're slaughtered. I would be amazed they'd consume something where God alone only knows what condition it's been in.

There has to be an outlet for unwanted horses, and I actually support humane slaughter as a method less wasteful than euthanasia (which renders the carcase unfit for use.) But it has to be regulated like any other agricultural industry. Not sick, injured animals shoved into filthy pens and then shipped off to who-knows-where crammed on trucks not built for the purpose.

equinelaundry
Oct. 27, 2008, 08:19 AM
I doubt they feel that TB's are the only ones worth saving. It is just that they can't save them all and are focusing on TB's. Just like some people might focus on drafts, standardbreds, mustangs, etc. I cross posted this to a mini forum that I frequent because of the mini that was mentioned. I was hoping that miniature horse folks in the area could keep an eye out for minis. I love minis and have four of them. Three of which are rescues. I also own a OTTB that could have easily ended up on a slaughter truck as well as a draft cross. I wish I could save them ALL! But if I were to go to an auction like that, I would probably focus on the minis and ponies, even though I love them all. It must be unbelievable hard to go into these places. Just reading the stories makes me so sad, angry, and I can't get the images those written words and photos have left in my mind and heart. I don't know what I would do if I was standing there staring at a live horse struggling in the dead animal pile. I am sure it is very difficult to not be able to help when so many horses are in need. Again, a huge thank you to those who go in and save even one horse, any horse. God bless you.

Maybe the mini people on Lil' Beginnings will believe you 'cause they sure didn't believe me when I spoke up about minis being bought & sold at these auctions. A kill-buyer was buying them up in Shepardsville to start his own breeding program.

SweatySaddlepad
Oct. 27, 2008, 12:15 PM
Please, please file a complaint against that vet here http://ovmlb.ohio.gov/complaint.stm. I would shoot off a letter and email to the AVMA too. Vet oath : Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health, THE RELIEF OF ANIMAL SUFFERING, the conservation of animal resources, the promotion of public health, and the advancement of medical knowledge.

I applaud you for trying your heart out, perhaps we need to start getting noisy with local and nationwide media about this hellhole again!

BabyGoose
Oct. 27, 2008, 02:03 PM
I wonder if people who eat horsemeat imported from Canada and Mexico know the conditions in which horses are kept and shipped before they're slaughtered. I would be amazed they'd consume something where God alone only knows what condition it's been in.

People in the US eat beef, pork, and chicken everyday and treatment of these animals is no better. I doubt they would care where their meat comes from.

Penthilisea
Oct. 27, 2008, 02:11 PM
The thing to do might be to start a humane equine slaughterhouse, not for profit. ONLY accept healthy animals, pay the premium for the animals and sell the meat at a discount abroad. Better product at lower prices will kill the competition. Do the research, make sure that shippers know you will not accept horses at the premium price who shouldn't have been transported (offer reduced cost euthanisia instead). Make sure the slaughter methods, containment etc are designed to reduce stress and injury. It can never be 100% but this will solve the excess #'s of horses and the horrendous auction and transportation situation.
Just my two cents.

cordial
Oct. 27, 2008, 02:22 PM
Please, please file a complaint against that vet here http://ovmlb.ohio.gov/complaint.stm. I would shoot off a letter and email to the AVMA too. Vet oath : Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health, THE RELIEF OF ANIMAL SUFFERING, the conservation of animal resources, the promotion of public health, and the advancement of medical knowledge.

I applaud you for trying your heart out, perhaps we need to start getting noisy with local and nationwide media about this hellhole again!

What I would like to know is where is Keith Dane ,president of the Humane Society. They have loads of money, but never seem to help with animals in need...horses, cats, dogs. They talk a good game, but never do alot to help.

cordial
Oct. 27, 2008, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know how the "Mini" is doing????

gwenrowdy
Oct. 27, 2008, 03:35 PM
Photos of the horses involved are being posted on ABR. A pic of the dead pile can be found further up the thread.
http://forums.prospero.com/alexbrown/messages?msg=29921.25

EquineLVR
Oct. 27, 2008, 04:11 PM
That is just beyond comprehension.. I am also shamed to call myself human when things like this continue to occur.. It makes me feel physically ill.

I signed the petition.. I Hope it helps. :(

BabyGoose
Oct. 27, 2008, 04:26 PM
Does anyone know how the "Mini" is doing????

I'm curious too! I hope he is recovering well.

Woodland
Oct. 27, 2008, 05:30 PM
At least for the horses in my neck of the woods when they could be taken directly to the slaughter plant in DeKalb Illinois for immediate humane processing. None of this jostling through place to place. Lack of food. Lack of water, over crowded LONG rides to Canada or Mexico. Not saying some did not go through the auction houses first, but many it was direct from farm to plant. No in between make a buck dealers.

*tsk* how I long for the days when a horses live could end without all the drama and abuse first - sad!

Edited to add: It is only October 26th and I have two emergency hay calls for today. Which means people are already unable to feed their horses and the pastures are all but gone in Illinois. There is no market for the marginal ones and they can't even give them away - so I bring hay......Oh i wish De Kalb were open!!!

Ted the Peep 'Ho
Oct. 27, 2008, 05:39 PM
This makes me very angry and very sad. I hope the horses that survived will be okay.

spaghetti legs
Oct. 28, 2008, 07:45 AM
It's appauling.

LessonLearned
Oct. 28, 2008, 09:42 AM
Disgusting. I would love to see places like this closed down. Once these creatures become "meat" they are treated like they are already dead.

The laws governing "humane treatment" are woefully inadequate, but even those woefully inadequate laws were being ignored here. Obviously the powers that be could care less. That vet should lose her license!

scrtwh
Oct. 28, 2008, 10:06 AM
:(

The laws governing "humane treatment" are woefully inadequate, but even those woefully inadequate laws were being ignored here. Obviously the powers that be could care less. That vet should lose her license!

I agree. That vet was clearly NOT doing her job, the humane society is clearly NOT doing there job. Every human who could possilby do something on a large scale to help this place become better has fallen short due to apathy and lack of compassion. So very sad and haunting ...
:(

gieriscm
Oct. 28, 2008, 10:33 AM
The thing to do might be to start a humane equine slaughterhouse, not for profit. ONLY accept healthy animals, pay the premium for the animals and sell the meat at a discount abroad. Better product at lower prices will kill the competition. Do the research, make sure that shippers know you will not accept horses at the premium price who shouldn't have been transported (offer reduced cost euthanisia instead). Make sure the slaughter methods, containment etc are designed to reduce stress and injury. It can never be 100% but this will solve the excess #'s of horses and the horrendous auction and transportation situation.
Just my two cents.

Would this even be legal given the ban on horse slaughter in the US?

jetsmom
Oct. 28, 2008, 11:56 AM
Horse slaughter is not banned in the US. Horse slaughter for Human Consumption is banned in CA, TX, and IL.

Rodeio
Oct. 28, 2008, 03:01 PM
I thought treatment of unwanted horses was supposed to get better once slaughter for human consumption was banned in the US? Hmm looks like that backfired on all the anti-slaughter folks.

equinelaundry
Oct. 28, 2008, 03:55 PM
I thought treatment of unwanted horses was supposed to get better once slaughter for human consumption was banned in the US? Hmm looks like that backfired on all the anti-slaughter folks.

Wow, what a thoughtful post and it added so much to this thread.

AJHorsey
Oct. 28, 2008, 04:11 PM
How sad.:( I wish I had more room for even just one more to take on. It is a possibility for the future, though. I may have to visit with someone who has been there in the past. (Hubby probably wouldn't want to go- he has a real true heart for animals, but would want to take them all just as much as I, and we can't do that at this time.... but its in the plans...:))

DeeThbd
Oct. 28, 2008, 04:18 PM
At least for the horses in my neck of the woods when they could be taken directly to the slaughter plant in DeKalb Illinois for immediate humane processing. None of this jostling through place to place. Lack of food. Lack of water, over crowded LONG rides to Canada or Mexico. Not saying some did not go through the auction houses first, but many it was direct from farm to plant. No in between make a buck dealers.

*tsk* how I long for the days when a horses live could end without all the drama and abuse first - sad!

Edited to add: It is only October 26th and I have two emergency hay calls for today. Which means people are already unable to feed their horses and the pastures are all but gone in Illinois. There is no market for the marginal ones and they can't even give them away - so I bring hay......Oh i wish De Kalb were open!!!
Woodland, I wonder if we are more aware of it because with the auction process people are at places at Sugarcreek and SEE it going on. I think that regardless of a slaughter ban there are some monstrous people out there - and if they act like that in public, what are they like in private? Just WTF is happening to other species (ie cattle) owned by people of this bent, who DO go directly to the plant instead? The mind boggles.
Dee

ellemayo
Oct. 28, 2008, 06:28 PM
Oh my goodness... This is the most heartbreaking thing I've ever heard. I started reading this post before work and I have not been able to get it out of my mind. I don't understand how humans feel they have the right to treat other living things as if they're trash... it's our job to protect the helpless and take care of those animals that trust us to care for them... to think of any horse in a situation like that makes me sick.

I second the idea of an expose on CNN or another news broadcast. I think there are many caring people out there who would be as appalled by this situation as we are, they just don't know about it.

How I wish I had the resources to go to the auctions and rescue these poor animals. I can't believe they put their trust in the human race and we betray them like that... I'm so ashamed

JSwan
Oct. 28, 2008, 07:03 PM

Well, it hasn't been banned in the US. Animal rights groups got the plants closed.

I think that a lot of horsemen, both pro and anti-slaughter, didn't really think that closing the plants would lessen suffering. Not even a ban will make things better for horses.

The only thing that will make things better for horses is making sure that they are treated well from birth until death, and whatever death they have to make it as stress free and painless as possible.

That doesn't need to be a pro or anti slaughter argument.

I wish people wouldn't make it one.

kookicat
Oct. 28, 2008, 08:05 PM
Well, it hasn't been banned in the US. Animal rights groups got the plants closed.

I think that a lot of horsemen, both pro and anti-slaughter, didn't really think that closing the plants would lessen suffering. Not even a ban will make things better for horses.

The only thing that will make things better for horses is making sure that they are treated well from birth until death, and whatever death they have to make it as stress free and painless as possible.

That doesn't need to be a pro or anti slaughter argument.

I wish people wouldn't make it one.

I agree. We still have horse slaughterhouses in the UK, and while there is abuse, the slaughterhouses aren't part of the problem. They actaully help, IMO, because people can take the horse there, have them shot, and (I think) collect money on the deadweight.

It's not an ideal solution, but it works. I think it's far better than sending a horse to an auction, then loading them onto a trailer to be shipped. The slaughterhouses are not the problem- it's the disrespect and lack of caring that is the problem. If people had an easy, simple way of disposing (sorry!) of an unwanted horse, I bet they would use it, especially if there was a financial incentive. Then the horse wouldn't have to go through this at the auction house.

It's also time someone (or lots of someones) stepped up and made an effort to stamp out bad practice. I'm talking about the police, the vets, the animal welfare people here. They need to grow a pair and do their damn jobs, rather than walking away and saying 'not my problem'.

dalpal
Oct. 28, 2008, 08:45 PM

Wow..and you've missed the entire point of this thread. It's about an auction house abusing horses, an auction house that should be shut down. A veterinarian who should loose her license for not helping those horses who are suffering.

We are all horse people, whether you believe slaughterhouses should be banned or not......I would hope that we would at least all be on board that things like this should NOT happen to any animal regardless of it's destination...instead of gloating with "Hey I was right and you were wrong"...very petty. :no:

SpringOakFarm
Oct. 28, 2008, 08:46 PM
I have written to our congress man here in Virginia about horse slaughter- and even received a response! Of course, the reply was probably written by a college intern working in his office...but I don't care.

I'm going to send this story to him too.

This article makes me so sad...I wish they would just line them up and put them down...it would be more humane then the horrific treatment they receive in the kill pens and the trailer ride to the slaughterhouse. I don't like slaughter - but it's not the act of the slaughter that is so repulsive...it's everything that leads up to the arrival at the slaughterhouse. It's the AUCTIONS like this one that are at fault.

The people that turn their backs, don't care how these horses are treated, put them into dangerous situations, and allow them to be injured more - just make me sick.

So very sad.

Rodeio
Oct. 28, 2008, 10:09 PM

Exactly. But how is this done?

Rodeio
Oct. 28, 2008, 10:26 PM
Wow..and you've missed the entire point of this thread. It's about an auction house abusing horses, an auction house that should be shut down. A veterinarian who should loose her license for not helping those horses who are suffering.

We are all horse people, whether you believe slaughterhouses should be banned or not......I would hope that we would at least all be on board that things like this should NOT happen to any animal regardless of it's destination...instead of gloating with "Hey I was right and you were wrong"...very petty. :no:

No I did not miss the entire point of this thread. Why are conditions at this auction house so bad? If they are breaking rules and laws why is no one doing anything about it? From the looks of those photos those horse were abused and neglected LONG before they came to the auction house. Why is the auction house taking animals in this condition? From the sounds of things the veterinarian on staff is too busy doing Coggins and Health Certificates to attend to all the horses. There seems to be a lot of horses there. They need a second vet on staff to actually serve the needs of the horses who are hurting.

I am on board that this should not be happening. It is disgusting. It goes far beyond the auction house. How can a person work there? How do these people sleep at night?

My comment came from the fact there was a large contingent of people who said with the slaughter ban things would be better for the horses, there would be no unwanted horses, people would take better care of them. It is worse now, much worse. Is it the economy? The closing of the plants in the states? How can some people be so careless and needlessly cruel?

While I do admit my post was crass, I do not believe I was saying "I was right and you were wrong" since you have no idea what my thoughts are on slaughter.

LetumRACK
Nov. 10, 2008, 05:05 PM
Hi to all that are concerned about Sugarcreek, I would like to introduce myself. I am a Senior Cruelty Investigator with an equine rescue and we have been asked to investigate Sugarcreek.
We will be happy to investigate we also ask for the cooperation of the other rescues as to this is going to be a hard case for all involved.
I will say that we do not pay what we call ransom money to the kill buyers or anyone, we feel this just keeps the cycle going, we also work for the safety of all equines regardless of the breed we will do what we can to rescue everyone that we can and to shut this ************ down.
If you or your group would like to help please contact me at my
email addy LetumRACK@aol.com

RU2U
Nov. 10, 2008, 05:17 PM
Just to let you all know...back in the summer the local station did a expose' on Sugarcreek. Got alot of hype - I think they advertised it for a week before they actually did the broadcast and obviously other than boosting their ratings, it didn't change anything.

Ohio has to get tougher on animal rights. The abusers get a smack on the wrist. Being cruel has no consequences. I don't even think its a felony in Ohio, I may be wrong. If everyone who said "Gee isn't that horrible" would write to the government agencies, Congressmen, Senators, Goveners even the mayor...editorials in their local paper, something may get done. But you do have to get off the fence.

I live in Ohio, and this is an embarrassment for all of us.

Not everyone can take in a truckload, but you can write. DO IT!

LetumRACK
Nov. 10, 2008, 07:48 PM
959.13 CRUELTY TO ANIMALS

(A) No person shall:

(1) Torture an animal, deprive one of necessary sustenance, unnecessarily or cruelly beat, needlessly mutilate or kill, or impound or confine an animal without supplying it during such confinement with a sufficient quantity of good wholesome food and water;

(2) Impound or confine an animal without affording it, during such confinement, access to shelter from wind, rain, snow, or excessive direct sunlight if it can reasonably be expected that the animal would otherwise become sick or in some other way suffer. Division (A)(2) of this section does not apply to animals impounded or confined prior to slaughter. For the purpose of this section, shelter means a man-made enclosure, windbreak, sunshade, or natural windbreak or sunshade that is developed from the earth's contour, tree development, or vegetation.

(3) Carry or convey an animal in a cruel or inhuman manner;

(4) Keep animals other than cattle, poultry or fowl, swine, sheep, or goats in an enclosure without wholesome exercise and change of air, nor or [sic] feed cows on food that produces impure or unwholesome milk;

(5) Detain livestock in railroad cars or compartments longer than twenty-eight hours after they are so placed without supplying them with necessary food, water, and attention, nor permit such stock to be so crowded as to overlie, crush, wound, or kill each other.

(B) Upon the written request of the owner or person in custody of any particular shipment of livestock, which written request shall be separate and apart from any printed bill of lading or other railroad form, the length of time in which such livestock may be detained in any cars or compartments without food, water, and attention, may be extended to thirty-six hours without penalty therefor. This section does not prevent the dehorning of cattle.

(C) All fines collected for violations of this section shall be paid to the society or association for the prevention of cruelty to animals, if there be such in the county, township, or municipal corporation where such violation occurred.

[Note: .07-.11 repealed (related to transportation of cattle infected with diseases]

Woodland
Nov. 10, 2008, 09:32 PM
I mean really truly when slaughter ended in the U.S.A the bar was lowered. The economy tanked, feed costs rose, fuel prices tripled or more and to make a buck short cuts are made.

Now the same horses that could be humanely processed under tight US regulations are shipped outside our boarders to die cruel deaths in foreign countries.

So they suffer more and you are stunned appalled and surprised?:no: What did you honestly think would happen:confused: These horses are just so much less on the hoof than they were. They are now a low money making sideline for most of these guys. Why spend a dime more on a lost leader :confused:

You and other anti slaughter people APPALL ME! The horses SUFFER because YOU could not stomach reality :mad:

DeeThbd
Nov. 11, 2008, 12:20 AM
Woodland, seriously - are you saying that this didn't happen before the slaughter ban? That the people doing this were somehow magically released when the ban was put in place?
Seriously?
I have read too many other worthwhile posts from you to believe that is what you mean as being the deciding factor....I think we have to take so many other factors into account, such as the ones you mentioned with the economy et al.
Today during a work meeting we discussed the implications of electronic devices within my own industry - that the mere presence of cell phones creates the possibility of our images on the web - and perhaps the same thing is bringing out things that have previously been swept behind at some auctions. I think more average people are getting into horses as well, and their relationship with online media is creating a new reality.
Dee

spaghetti legs
Nov. 11, 2008, 02:36 AM
so do something about it guys.. stop crying foul on here.. and put your money where your mouth is - so to speak. Get letter writing.

county
Nov. 11, 2008, 08:04 AM
I think theres more then one factor thats causing the larger number of neglect, and abandonment of horses but a big one is the slaughter ban IMO. Its the one thing thats never happened before. We've had droughts, a bad economy, high hay costs, everything we have now except a slaughter ban. I diodn't think it would make a huge difference when the ban was put on but I've seen way to many more cases to beleive it now.

luvmytbs
Nov. 11, 2008, 08:14 AM
woodland,

Sugarcreek has been mishandeling animals for years, and not just horses. The same is true for New Holland, Shipshewana and other auctions of the same type.

It's dedicated people like Anne Russek, who will stand up against the "good old boys" and do something about it.

As an onlooker, you can choose to ignore it or step up to the plate and support the ones who are fighting for some dignity for the animals.

gwenrowdy
Nov. 25, 2008, 02:18 PM
Ho-Ho-Ho!

http://www.kaufmanzoning.net/nov24/Baker081001_AQ_08-0074_dd.pdf

tmo0hul
Nov. 25, 2008, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately, it does not seem to have any real teeth. The cease and desist order is not for him doing business - it is an order for him to stop violating the law. :rolleyes: Whatever. And does anyone really think he will pony up the $162K in fines...not.

Equinoxfox
Nov. 25, 2008, 02:56 PM
Okay so now where is PETA when you need them ? We need to get some type of animal rights group out there and visible. We need to let these idiots know what they are doing is wrong , unfair , and just inhumane to any animals. We all need to band together and just go up to Ohio and be there when a sale is about to happen.
Do you guys feel it is getting more animals now because of the end of meet at so many tracks?
How & what can we do to help here:confused:

danceronice
Nov. 25, 2008, 03:20 PM
Never, ever say "we need PETA" unless you want to give up your own animals. Try the ASPCA (NOT HSUS!) unless you want to get the real crazies involved. Remember PETA considers all use of animals cruelty.

Iron Horse Farm
Nov. 25, 2008, 04:12 PM
I think theres more then one factor thats causing the larger number of neglect, and abandonment of horses but a big one is the slaughter ban IMO. Its the one thing thats never happened before. We've had droughts, a bad economy, high hay costs, everything we have now except a slaughter ban. I diodn't think it would make a huge difference when the ban was put on but I've seen way to many more cases to beleive it now.

County, this thread is about Sugarbrook in Ohio. NOTHING has changed here since the slaughter laws have changed. THis dispicable auction has always been a dispicable auction and is no worse now than it was two years ago when slaughter in the states was legal. The trailer ride from Ohio to the Canadian slaughter plants is almost exactly the same distance that the trailer ride was to DeKalb, so, trust me, the slaughter buyers here only had to change their GPS.

DressageFancy
Sep. 9, 2009, 04:59 PM
I am not for an outright ban on slaughter as no one has a better solution to abused horses---yet (at least they eventually get dead verses standing forever in pain and fear). Abused horses, dogs, cats, children, ect will always be found. It seems that as hard as laws/government bodies act ect more and more children are shaken, beaten, starved, sexually abused. Same with the horses. The solution? I wish I had one for every child, horse, dog, cat, ect. But the solution for a specific location like Sugarcreek----make what they do unprofitable. Lobby our lawmakers to give HUGH fines for offences that are already against the law. Alert local and national news, humane societies, aspca, ect so that they will push the laws which will make the lawmakers will look good WHEN they asses these fines which will then encourage more hugh fines. And, yes, it takes ALL of us horse people to make something happen!

mareangel
Jan. 9, 2010, 12:39 PM
I just wanted to add a quick reply to this old post...

I adopted Noproblemfor Dino, mentioned in Anne's blog, from the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation and Maker's Mark Secretariat Center back in November.

After Anne, Diana, and Kathy got Dino out, he wound up at two more places where he was sadly mistreated and starved before being turned over to the TRF and MMSC last August.

I had been casually searching for a new horse for the last two years. Last Summer I started taking my search more seriously, but was so disheartened by Fall that I had stopped looking and felt that when its meant to be, I'll find my horse.

I remember reading Anne's story when it was passed around in 2008. At the time, I was just happy that they at least got three horses out. However, I had completely forgotten about the blog posting until I made a random stop at the MMSC (which is located at the Kentucky Horse Park) this past October. I was just there to ask questions and maybe give a donation, but when I saw Dino's picture I wanted to see him. It wasn't until after I put a deposit on him, returned home to Ohio and read his story on their website did I realize it was the same horse in Anne's blog. It gave me chills and I knew he was for me. As corny as that may sound.

I just can't say enough thank you's to Anne, Diana, Kathy, and all the rest who do this: raise money to save these noble horses.

I'm also so happy that Dino wouldn't let them leave without him. His story will have a happy ending. :)

Equilibrium
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:15 PM
Mareangel,

Thank you for that update! That is really heartwarming to know Dino ended up in a wonderful home with you.

Terri

Calhoun
Jan. 9, 2010, 06:05 PM
I agree w/ Equilibrium, thanks for the update. How tragic Dino ended up in two unsuitable homes before finding TRF. Is Sugarcreek still operating? The place is hell on earth.

Threebars
Jan. 9, 2010, 06:59 PM
This article is copyright 2010 (http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/07/10/15/sugarcreek.php4) so it seems the same 'players' mentioned in this thread are still; around.

"Smitley unexpectedly found herself on the job during Friday’s auction when she noticed the presence of a man who was on probation for cruelty to animals due to an incident where a horse he owned fell partially through the makeshift trailer it was being hauled in; it ended up having its foot dragged for five miles. Knowing the man was prohibited from buying a horse for five years, Smitley decided she would have to stay for the rest of the auction — which runs for up to five hours — to make sure he wasn’t buying a horse, and to call the police if he did."

Lovely.... :no:

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:25 PM
So glad Dino will be well taken care of!

After the Finish Line
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:11 AM
I can only imagine the fear these horses have at Sugarcreek or any other auction. The mistreatment many horses endured before they arrived and the mistreatment they endure while at Sugarcreek just hurts my heart. We are helpless in being able to help them. There has to be an answer to right this wrong.

Dawn Mellen, President
After the Finish Line®
10153 Riverside Drive, Suite 397
Toluca Lake, CA 91602
dawn@afterthefinishline.org
www.afterthefinishline.org

precisionchaos
Jan. 10, 2010, 02:49 AM
I am going to assume you already are working with the USDA -APHIS vets to let them know about this?

USDA has had huge presence in Ohio for past several years attempting to shut down puppy mills, exotic animal violations and livestock auction problems.

When I lodged a complaint about the treatment of the raccoons at the water dog races in Johnstown, OH, and some fawns that some folks had in a petting display, USDA vets investigated and talked to the race folks and they no longer allow the dogs to harrass the caged coon (and they covered the cage in canvas so the coon has cover) and shut down the fawn folks as they were in violation of AWA also.

USDA actually has no jurisdiction over the raccoon issue as it falls under the Division of Wildlife, but the fact that their inspecting vet talked to the directors of the event they made a change because everyone knew it was the right thing to do. I sent the vets a thank you letter myself because they did not have to try to get involved in that situation, but it happens that the DOW is willing to work with the feds on these animal issues for the welfare of the animals being used, exploited or abused in some way.

If you have not already, please send your documentation story and photos to USDA-APHIS! They are charged with oversite of the AWA and of course ALL the livestock licenses and transportation regulations.

I believe Dr.Markin is still the supervising vet for this region, or if not, the USDA-APHIS office can put you in contact with the vet you need to work with.

EqTrainer
Jan. 10, 2010, 05:07 PM
My latest rescue came from Sugarcreek. What a cute, sweet pony he is. I have also never had to quarantine an animal as long as he had to be.

What a name, for such a place.

khp vol
Jan. 10, 2010, 05:25 PM
Mareangel, THANK YOU for the update. It really makes feel good to know that MMSC is on the job and I will continue to support them.

I hope you and Dino have a long and happy partnership.

Brandy76
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:01 PM
:Good job on you all for saving those you could. It happened to me about 15 years ago at Westminster, MD auction. First and last for me. A crippled 14.2 hh pony went through the ring, ridden by a big fat guy. The killer bought him for $200, and twenty minutes later, I bought the pony from the kill buyer for $500. Nice. I ended up driving 2 hours home, getting the van, then 2 hours back. I think we loaded that guy up around 3 am! But home and safe he was.

This, This, is my issue with slaughter. :mad:All the pros can say what they want about it's needed, yadda, yadda. It's not. It's very existence creates this horrific culture that those like Anne and other brave souls fight every day. I ask again, if no monetary gain from selling your horse to slaughter, would it still be necessary???

Good lord, shoot your horse, call the local huntsman, or the local SPCA and have your horse euthanized. If you had the money to care for him prior to this, you can scrape up the cash to make it right for him at the end.
Sorry, the Sugarcreek story is infuriating. And the story plays out weekly.

Flame suit firmly zipped. Just bring it. For the sake of the mini, I will answer whatever is thrown at me.

BITSGAL
Jan. 11, 2010, 07:47 AM
Our rescue (Back in the Saddle Horse Adoption - BITS) has been to this auction twice. It is a long drive for us (5 to 6 hours), but for the sake of the horses we make this trip. With the help of donations, we were able to bring 5 to safety. The horses that go through this auction basically have no chance ... over 80% of them go directly to slaughter. It is a sad, sad thing to watch.

We are planning on making another trip into this auction once we have enough funds to do so.

Joni

farmgirl88
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:52 AM
my suggestion is that everyone write a short, or lengthy letter, whatever you choose to the ASPCA and the USDA in regards to the conditions at sugarcreek. The most you can do is suggest that someone from their organization pays the auction a visit and carefully looks into each pen at each horse. They don't need to go in uniform or go in there busting down doors, they just need to quietly walk the pens and just watch for one day at the auction and see and understand what everyone else has seen.

Even if you havnt ever been to sugarcreek, writing a letter describing what you have heard from fellow auction goers about the situation at sugarcreek and how you would suggest that someone looks into it, will help convince them that this problem is serious and something needs to be done.

like i said, the most you can do is write a letter or send an email. I havent started looking for someone to directly email yet but if i do find someone to email/contact, i will be sure to post it.

Brandy76
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:09 AM
Thank you farmgirl. Didn't some news channel out there do a story on Sugarcreek a couple of years ago?

farmgirl88
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:15 AM
Thank you farmgirl. Didn't some news channel out there do a story on Sugarcreek a couple of years ago?

I know Inside edition and maybe CNN or something like that visited new holland and helped purchase TB's ( i think) with AC4H not too long ago.

People could also email news stations and tell them what has been seen at the auction. Being silent about it and discussing it on COTH really isn't going to draw much attention to it other than the fact that we all know what goes on at auctions but we can't do much more than offer to help one or two horses. that doesnt prevent it from happening every week.

if you really want to do something, we all need to band together and demand change. get those involved who are paid by our gov't to look into issues like this. the ASPCA would go rampant with something like this. call the police, call the human organizations in the area. Who the heck cares if you're bugging them. it's their job to look after the needs of animals and to prevent abuse...if they can't do that, and if they don't care, then they should not be working as an animal control/humane officer.

Get some national news attention from it all. the more calls and emails we send out, the more of a possibility we can get someone to show the world just what is going on. no one is going to listen to a handful of horse folks, so its about time we pull out the big guns. maybe then someone will start doing their darn job :yes:

Brandy76
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:19 AM
I will start writing politely worded letters tonight, and sending them to news outlets as well. I am in SE Pa, but still.

Thank you for the great ideas!

I will be happy to join "the band" on this.

I know Inside edition and maybe CNN or something like that visited new holland and helped purchase TB's ( i think) with AC4H not too long ago.

People could also email news stations and tell them what has been seen at the auction. Being silent about it and discussing it on COTH really isn't going to draw much attention to it other than the fact that we all know what goes on at auctions but we can't do much more than offer to help one or two horses. that doesnt prevent it from happening every week.

if you really want to do something, we all need to band together and demand change. get those involved who are paid by our gov't to look into issues like this. the ASPCA would go rampant with something like this. call the police, call the human organizations in the area. Who the heck cares if you're bugging them. it's their job to look after the needs of animals and to prevent abuse...if they can't do that, and if they don't care, then they should not be working as an animal control/humane officer.

Get some national news attention from it all. the more calls and emails we send out, the more of a possibility we can get someone to show the world just what is going on. no one is going to listen to a handful of horse folks, so its about time we pull out the big guns. maybe then someone will start doing their darn job :yes:

farmgirl88
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:46 AM
I will start writing politely worded letters tonight, and sending them to news outlets as well. I am in SE Pa, but still.

Thank you for the great ideas!

I will be happy to join "the band" on this.

yes the key is being polite. the more polite you are about the whole situation, no matter how infuriated it makes you, its best to keep your temper to a minimum and just get the awareness out there.