PDA

View Full Version : What size bridle (and brand) does your Morgan wear?

myhorsefaith
Oct. 21, 2008, 11:40 PM
Ok so i have this super cute morgan gelding, 14.3 max (haven't actually measured him...but he's sooooooo little n cute) who is coming back into work.

He's got an odd sized head for the bridles I have. I have a couple full size bobby's bridles- too big for him. I have a cheapish cob size, too small. the same brand, gatsby i think?, full size fits him.

Buuut...I'd like to get him a bridle that matches saddle- which is chesnut.

So I figured I'd ask those of you with Morgans what brands in what sizes fit them best? He's not the super stocky type, nor the real slender...sort of right down the middle.

pictures of his fuzziness:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/myhorsefaith/willowbrookoctober2008011.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/myhorsefaith/willowbrookoctober2008010.jpg

kari
Oct. 22, 2008, 09:22 AM
My girl wears a cob sized bridle with a full sized browband. Both are Bobby's if that's what kind of info you're looking for. She's an old style girl....short and chunky, with a wide forehead i guess....

Tiger Horse
Oct. 22, 2008, 09:36 AM
Although my mare is not a Morgan - she very much looks like one. I use a cob size headstall with a full size browband - also Bobbys. Very easy to order separate pieces - and great quality for the price!

myhorsefaith
Oct. 22, 2008, 09:48 AM
Yay this is the info I am looking for! I was hoping a Bobby's cob size would be likely to fit the bill, cuz the horse size is just a shade or 2 too small. but yes, he will need a horse size brow band.

Thanks!!!

Miss-O
Oct. 22, 2008, 10:32 AM
My 14.3 hh Morgan mare wears a cob sized Stubben bridle.

Morgan's can be hard to fit. I think your best bet is to ask the manufacturer's of a bridle you like what their measurements are and go from there.

LittleblackMorgan
Oct. 22, 2008, 10:41 AM
Oh man, the trials and tribulations of Morgan sized horses...
My guy wears a horse sized bridle (huge honking cheek bones, broad forehead), a cob halter, a cob breastplate, MW siddle. Everything else, such as boots and things, are medium. A cob bridle wont fit his fat head, but the throat latch is on the next to smallest hole, and the same with the noseband. The cheek pieces are as tight as they will go.
Woe is fitting a morgan...

myhorsefaith
Oct. 22, 2008, 10:52 AM
I've only ever had horse-sized horses, so this mini-me stuff is throwing me for a loop!

So far I've found for saddles: a county size 3 fits great. ovation wide equally good. my full qh round skirt trail saddle fits well.

Bridles: a horse sized western bridle fits him fine. the horse-size bobby's, not so much! Even if i could punch extra holes, the buckles would interfere with the browband. Cheap-o Cob- too small.

Breastplate: cob. the horse size was ridiculous

smb's and boots: medium

blankets: 74-76, depending on the shoulders.

Hair: copious, never ending amounts.

vtdobes
Oct. 22, 2008, 11:37 AM
My 4 yr old Morgan mare wears a cob sized Collegiate bridle; fits her fine. She is a small and petite girl though :)

Bell boots are a pain though...I need small and hardly anyone carries the small size (in the brand I like). And ear nets for driving...the pony size are almost too small (her poor ears are almost smushed) and the horse size is way too big!

RHdobes563
Oct. 22, 2008, 12:56 PM
Oh man, the trials and tribulations of Morgan sized horses...
My guy wears a horse sized bridle (huge honking cheek bones, broad forehead), a cob halter, a cob breastplate, MW siddle. Everything else, such as boots and things, are medium. A cob bridle wont fit his fat head, but the throat latch is on the next to smallest hole, and the same with the noseband. The cheek pieces are as tight as they will go.
Woe is fitting a morgan...

But they are SO worth it, right? :)

shakeytails
Oct. 22, 2008, 01:02 PM
I have one horse with a Morgan-y head. He wears a cob size (a cheapie) with a full size browband. You might need to mix and match a full size and a cob size bridle. Full size brow and throatlatch thingie with cob cheekpieces.

quietann
Oct. 22, 2008, 02:27 PM
My Morgan mare wears a cob-size bridle -- I splurged and got one from jerry's harness. Some of the bits are on the loosest hole and some on the tightest, and the browband is just big enough. I'd recommend going with a company that will swap out parts for you; you'll likely end up with a frankenbridle made of horse and cob sized parts.

She takes a size 70 or 72 blanket. Woof boots are Smalls in front and Mediums behind, and the fronts are a little too long. Her breastplate is cob-sized, as is her halter, and both are set on the tightest holes. We're working on the saddle issue; she takes a medium sized tree in some brands and a MW in others. Right now the big issue is getting something that fits her and me, as she has a short back and a really deep shoulder and I need a 17 or 17.5 seat.

She's 15 hands and about 950 pounds and is lightly built for a Morgan. I could probably just as easily use pony-sized tack for some of her needs!

And yes, Morgans are worth it!

tabula rashah
Oct. 22, 2008, 02:57 PM
My girl wears a cob sized bridle with a full sized browband...

Exactly- I have a Kieffer dressage bridle that I've done this with

and I also have a custom made biothane bridle by Sport Tack

pattnic
Oct. 22, 2008, 03:21 PM
Another vote for mix-and-match. Without mixing and matching, I have found that Beval cob size fits my mare the best, and Vespucci cob size fits my gelding the best... but once again, neither is perfect. Getting measurements on the different brands will help immensely.

Saddles: wide and wider; girths: long and longer; blankets: 74-78 (depending on cut, brand, style)... but so VERY worth it! :yes:

LittleblackMorgan
Oct. 23, 2008, 11:07 AM
Yes, they are sooo worth it. Good grief, the hair, never ending...I roached my guys mane a year and a half ago...its already past his shoulder. I banged his tail (it was dragging) 6 months ago...its 2" from the ground. Thank god for a a furminator in the spring...

LittleblackMorgan
Oct. 23, 2008, 11:09 AM
And dont even get me STARTED on saddle fit. When I bought him I had a brand new Kincade for the horse I was leasing, with matching everything...2 months into our relationship, fat pony started hating his saddle since it no longer fit since he was in shape. So began the trials...7 (yes 7) saddles later, I settled on a wintec with Cair and he's happier, though I am not so much.
And yes, the short back-barrel belly-narrow chest with me needing a 17.5 saddle...grrr....